    512 x 2 Corsair memory
    Antec True Power 550 watt

    It does not do this in XP Pro only the 64 bit version.

    =?Utf-8?B?c2VwdGVtYmVyc2NoaWxk?=, Mar 18, 2006

  2. =?Utf-8?B?c2VwdGVtYmVyc2NoaWxk?=

    Dan Koerner Guest

    IIRC, and I may not, but Serial ATA is a SCSI device. Both my SATA HDs show up (hidden) under SCSI and RAID controllers in the Device Manager.

    --
    -Dan-

    Dan Koerner, Mar 18, 2006

  3. SATA is not the same as SCSI but SATA devices can usually be set up in a
    RAID configuration too.

    Windows just groups SCSI and RAID together. Presumably because
    traditionally it only made sense to build RAID arrays with SCSI drives.

    James Robertson, Mar 18, 2006
  4. =?Utf-8?B?c2VwdGVtYmVyc2NoaWxk?=

    Rick Guest

    I have noticed that SATA shows up as SCSI, no matter whether you have
    them designated as plain drives or in a RAID configuration, and have
    always wondered why this was done. Just curiosity.

    Rick, Mar 18, 2006
  5. =?Utf-8?B?c2VwdGVtYmVyc2NoaWxk?=

    PaulM Guest

    My SATA drives are not listed under SCSI, they are listed under Disk Drives.

    --
    --------
    Paul

    PaulM, Mar 18, 2006
  6. =?Utf-8?B?c2VwdGVtYmVyc2NoaWxk?=

    John Barnes Guest

    As are mine.

    John Barnes, Mar 18, 2006
  7. =?Utf-8?B?c2VwdGVtYmVyc2NoaWxk?=

    Rick Guest

    Excuse me; the controller. But even in Disk Drives they are listed as
    "SCSI Disk Device".

    Rick, Mar 18, 2006
  8. =?Utf-8?B?c2VwdGVtYmVyc2NoaWxk?=

    John Barnes Guest

    mine are listed as disk drives or standard disk drives.

    John Barnes, Mar 18, 2006
  9. =?Utf-8?B?c2VwdGVtYmVyc2NoaWxk?=

    PaulM Guest

    The controller is listed:
    INTEL(R) 82801GR/GH SATA AHCI Controller. The drivers are listed under Disk
    drives:

    --
    --------
    Paul

    PaulM, Mar 18, 2006
  10. =?Utf-8?B?c2VwdGVtYmVyc2NoaWxk?=

    Dan Koerner Guest

    Hmmm... it must be the way the BIOS handles them...

    --
    -Dan-

    Dan Koerner, Mar 18, 2006
  11. =?Utf-8?B?c2VwdGVtYmVyc2NoaWxk?=

    Rick Guest

    Well, I currently have a total of eight computers set up and everyone of
    them has "SCSI Disk Service" after the model of the SATA drive under
    "Disk Drives."

    Rick, Mar 18, 2006
  12. =?Utf-8?B?c2VwdGVtYmVyc2NoaWxk?=

    Larry Guest

    Does your motherboard have both an Intel & a Silicon Image(SI) SATA Raid
    controller chip? The SI Device Pseudo SCSI Processor Device is part of the
    SI SoftRaid5 setup.

    My Intel motherboard has both the Intel & the SI chips to handle up to 8
    SATA drives. I have the pseudo device in my XPPro(x32) when I enable the SI
    Raid Chip.

    Perhaps you have it disabled in your XP(x32) setup and it is automatically
    recognized(enabled) in the x64 setup.

    Larry

    Larry, Mar 18, 2006
  13. Seems to depend on the actual hardware/firmware implementation.

    The motherboard I have has both and NVidia and a Promise SATA controller.
    The NVidia one presents itself as an IDE controller, while the Promise one
    presents itself as a SCSI controller. This is in both RAID and non_RAID
    configuration.

    --
    Bruce Sanderson MVP Printing
    http://members.shaw.ca/bsanders

    Bruce Sanderson, Mar 18, 2006
  14. I think everybody is more or less right, so far as I can make out, (not
    being familiar with all current products) it would seem that 'some'
    manufacturers are taking the short-cut and implementing SATA support as
    coupled with a RAID chip, even if no RAID has been configured. RAID connects
    with the OS via the SCSI subsystem so, some will see it listed this way and
    others not.

    Tony. . .

    Tony Sperling, Mar 20, 2006
  15. Okay I see I stirred up some good info. So with that said, in my BIOS
    settings I have the the RAID disabled. This particular mobo has both IDE and
    SATA RAID on-board. It has for headers for SATA RAID and four headers for
    SATA and two IDE headers. In Hardware Manager under the 64 bit version this
    PSEUDO DEVICE is shown with the infamous yellow dot and an exclamation point
    along with my web cam, printer and scanner all of which I use in the 32 bit
    version. Below this list of Other Devices are Ports, Processors then SCSI and
    Raid Conrollers which list the Silicon Image SiL 3114 SoftRaid 5 Controller
    all of which are displayed correctly. So how do I eliminate it? I have
    deleted from the system upon which it re-discovers it on a reboot. Maybe I
    should contact Silicon Imageto seek a remedy?

    =?Utf-8?B?c2VwdGVtYmVyc2NoaWxk?=, Mar 23, 2006
  16. =?Utf-8?B?c2VwdGVtYmVyc2NoaWxk?=

    Dan Koerner Guest

    Since you are not using RAID, turn off Silicone Image Raid in the BIOS.

    Dan Koerner, Mar 23, 2006
  17. Any exclamation marked devices in device manager can safely be
    'right-clicked' and un-installed or disabled - that is, if you are shure
    nothing is attached.

    Tony. . .

    "septemberschild" <> wrote in
    message news:...

    Tony Sperling, Mar 24, 2006
  18. I guess I wasn't as clear as I thought all of the RAID applications are
    turned off in the BIOS. I read in another post that it may be looking for the
    ACPI drivers located in :\Windows\System32\Drivers\(two different files were
    listed) I have not tried this and it is probably the only thing I haven't
    tried short of taking it out back and shooting it. Will drivers for SBS 2003
    work? They are after all 64 bit which is why I have seen some servers with
    out of range displays because the Network Admin hasn't downloaded the correct
    video drivers for it. I have the latest BIOS update from ASUS and the newest
    driver from NVidia which is almost a year old for the 64 bit version and this
    includes drivers for the chipset also. How about drivers for Vista? With this
    move taking place should not all the biggies start to write 64 bit drivers?

    =?Utf-8?B?c2VwdGVtYmVyc2NoaWxk?=, Apr 20, 2006