    (bastards!)
    --
    Texas law forbids anyone to have a pair of pliers in his possession.
    Shane, Jan 20, 2006

  2. Re: What's an Intel chip doing in a Mac? A whole lot more than it'sever done in a PC.

    In <-a-geek.net> Shane wrote:
    > www.apple.co.nz
    >
    > (bastards!)

    Who? Apple or Intel?

    Gotta love Apple's TV ad for Intel CPUs at http://www.apple.com/intel/
    Well I quite like it, though reports said that Intel representatives
    weren't too happy. Something about the fact that it says all Intel's
    other customers make "dull little boxes". True of course, but I suppose
    Intel has to stand up for them :eek:) It least it doesn't have the 'Intel
    Inside' tune at the end.

    http://roger.geek.nz/

    Roger Johnstone, Jan 20, 2006

  3. Shane

    Shane Guest

    On Fri, 20 Jan 2006 09:22:09 +0000, Roger Johnstone wrote:

    > In <-a-geek.net> Shane wrote:
    >> www.apple.co.nz
    >>
    >> (bastards!)

    > Who? Apple or Intel?

    Apple.. how dare they say that horrid things about pc's! :)

    > Gotta love Apple's TV ad for Intel CPUs at http://www.apple.com/intel/
    > Well I quite like it, though reports said that Intel representatives
    > weren't too happy. Something about the fact that it says all Intel's other
    > customers make "dull little boxes". True of course, but I suppose Intel
    > has to stand up for them :eek:) It least it doesn't have the 'Intel Inside'
    > tune at the end.

    Apples fortunes have really changed since Steve went back
    If nothing else their marketing has got its groove back

    --
    Immortality -- a fate worse than death.
    -- Edgar A. Shoaff
    Shane, Jan 20, 2006
  4. Shane

    MarkH Guest

    Re: What's an Intel chip doing in a Mac? A whole lot more than it's ever done in a PC.

    Roger Johnstone <> wrote in news:20060120222204078+
    :

    > In <-a-geek.net> Shane wrote:
    >> www.apple.co.nz
    >>

    > Well I quite like it, though reports said that Intel representatives
    > weren't too happy. Something about the fact that it says all Intel's
    > other customers make "dull little boxes". True of course, but I suppose
    > Intel has to stand up for them :eek:) It least it doesn't have the 'Intel
    > Inside' tune at the end.

    "Dull little boxes" - how dare anyone make a computer and put function over
    form!

    Personally I could care less about what my computer case looks like, that's
    not the bit I am looking at when using my PC.

    I quite like my case anyway:
    http://www.pbtech.co.nz/index.php?item=CASCLM11567
    I reckon that I have more options than on any Mac that I have ever seen.

    --
    Mark Heyes (New Zealand)
    Maskerade
    MarkH, Jan 20, 2006
  5. Shane

    PC Guest

    Re: What's an Intel chip doing in a Mac? A whole lot more than it's ever done in a PC.

    "MarkH" <> wrote in message

    snip

    > I quite like my case anyway:
    > http://www.pbtech.co.nz/index.php?item=CASCLM11567

    $325.13 incl ..............Ouch! (nb without power supply)
    Looks versatile though.

    P.
    PC, Jan 21, 2006
  6. Shane

    MarkH Guest

    Re: What's an Intel chip doing in a Mac? A whole lot more than it's ever done in a PC.

    "PC" <> wrote in news:0XeAf.17891$vH5.885720
    @news.xtra.co.nz:

    > "MarkH" <> wrote in message
    >
    > snip
    >
    >> I quite like my case anyway:
    >> http://www.pbtech.co.nz/index.php?item=CASCLM11567

    > $325.13 incl ..............Ouch! (nb without power supply)
    > Looks versatile though.

    With the ability to run up to 12 HDDs and have 3 x 120mm fans keep them
    from overheating, along with the option to run 2 PSUs - this is a seriously
    useful case for a file server. In mine I only have 6 HDDs, but I use all
    three HDD bays with 3 120mm fans keeping them cool.

    I also like the mesh & filters all down the front of the case to reduce the
    amount of dust that get in.

    --
    Mark Heyes (New Zealand)
    Maskerade
    MarkH, Jan 21, 2006
  7. Shane

    KewlKiwi Guest

    MarkH wrote:

    > With the ability to run up to 12 HDDs and have 3 x 120mm fans keep them
    > from overheating, along with the option to run 2 PSUs - this is a seriously
    > useful case for a file server. In mine I only have 6 HDDs, but I use all
    > three HDD bays with 3 120mm fans keeping them cool.

    Not too keen on all that 'clod air' blowing over the mb though!
    KewlKiwi, Jan 21, 2006
  8. Shane

    Bruce Knox Guest

    Bruce Knox, Jan 21, 2006
  9. Shane

    Bret Guest

    On Sun, 22 Jan 2006 10:41:24 +1300, Bruce Knox
    <> wrote:

    >On Fri, 20 Jan 2006 21:09:36 +1300, Shane <-a-geek.net>
    >wrote:
    >
    >>www.apple.co.nz
    >>
    >>(bastards!)

    >I note that if you by a mac you get 35% of *Microsoft* office. Not
    >sure if this is being cheeky or acknowledging MS dominance in that
    >market.

    What use is 35% of something.
    Bret, Jan 21, 2006
  10. Shane

    ~misfit~ Guest

    KewlKiwi wrote:
    > MarkH wrote:
    >
    >> With the ability to run up to 12 HDDs and have 3 x 120mm fans keep
    >> them from overheating, along with the option to run 2 PSUs - this is
    >> a seriously useful case for a file server. In mine I only have 6
    >> HDDs, but I use all three HDD bays with 3 120mm fans keeping them
    >> cool.

    > Not too keen on all that 'clod air' blowing over the mb though!

    Heh! I noticed that on the web page too.

    Nice case BTW Mark.
    --
    ~misfit~
    ~misfit~, Jan 22, 2006
  11. Shane

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Bret wrote:
    > On Sun, 22 Jan 2006 10:41:24 +1300, Bruce Knox
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >> On Fri, 20 Jan 2006 21:09:36 +1300, Shane
    >> <-a-geek.net> wrote:
    >>
    >>> www.apple.co.nz
    >>>
    >>> (bastards!)

    >> I note that if you by a mac you get 35% of *Microsoft* office. Not
    >> sure if this is being cheeky or acknowledging MS dominance in that
    >> market.

    > What use is 35% of something.

    Depends.

    35% of my assets is of little use.

    35% of Bill Gates' assets I *could* use. :)
    --
    ~misfit~
    ~misfit~, Jan 22, 2006
  12. Shane

    Bruce Knox Guest

    On Sun, 22 Jan 2006 10:47:46 +1300, Bret <> wrote:

    >On Sun, 22 Jan 2006 10:41:24 +1300, Bruce Knox
    ><> wrote:
    >
    >>On Fri, 20 Jan 2006 21:09:36 +1300, Shane <-a-geek.net>
    >>wrote:
    >>
    >>>www.apple.co.nz
    >>>
    >>>(bastards!)

    >>I note that if you by a mac you get 35% of *Microsoft* office. Not
    >>sure if this is being cheeky or acknowledging MS dominance in that
    >>market.

    >What use is 35% of something.

    Oops, typo. For of please read off. On the other hand 35% of something
    could be worth quite a lot.

    Bruce http://www.baggins.co.nz
    http://physio.otago.ac.nz
    Bruce Knox, Jan 22, 2006
  13. Roger Johnstone wrote:

    > In <-a-geek.net> Shane wrote:
    > > www.apple.co.nz
    > >
    > > (bastards!)

    > Who? Apple or Intel?
    >
    > Gotta love Apple's TV ad for Intel CPUs at http://www.apple.com/intel/

    The ads are regularly on TV here in the US, and the other day I saw it
    plastered all over heaps of billboards on bus stops etc in San Fran
    (around the time of Macworld)

    > Well I quite like it, though reports said that Intel representatives
    > weren't too happy. Something about the fact that it says all Intel's

    Of course this is rubbish. I don't think they were caught by surprise,
    the Intel logo is in the advert. Intel protect their logo - they knew
    this was coming whether they admit it publicly or not. :)

    > other customers make "dull little boxes". True of course, but I suppose
    > Intel has to stand up for them :eek:) It least it doesn't have the 'Intel
    > Inside' tune at the end.

    There has been some degree of conspiracy theory about the ad because it
    seems similar a music video from Postal Service's "Some Great Heights."
    Turns out they were directed by the same folks

    Wired blog:
    http://wiredblogs.tripod.com/cultofmac/index.blog?entry_id=1385935

    side-by-side can be found at
    http://www.eliteproductionswi.com/apple-ps.htm