    Any replies would be appreciated.

    Thanks.

    OM
    OM, Jul 31, 2006

  2. OM

    Graham. Guest

    "OM" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > Dumb question: what's a PBX?
    > Do I need one?
    >
    > PBX - some kind of exchange right?
    > Let's you transfer calls?
    > If so... then... it would be really good to have one.
    > I would really need it for my business.
    >
    > Any replies would be appreciated.
    >
    > Thanks.
    >

    > OM

    Strictly speaking a PBX was where the telephonist connected the call with a
    jack plug, and rang your telephone by cranking a magneto ;-)
    OK these days PBX and PABX mean much the same.
    You might think that a pabx for the home is overkill, Some of us posting
    here are using Asterisk (aka Trixbox) which is a fully fledged VOIP PABX
    that runs on almost any old PC.

    --

    Graham.
    %Profound_observation%
    Graham., Aug 1, 2006

  3. OM

    Ivor Jones Guest

    "OM" <> wrote in message
    > Dumb question: what's a PBX?

    Private Branch Exchange.

    Technically, one that connects to the PSTN and where calls are dialled
    direct is a PABX (Private Automatic Branch Exchange) but as there are
    probably very few if any manual ones (PMBX's) around any more the term PBX
    has stuck.

    > Do I need one?

    I don't know, do you..? Only you can answer that until you give us some
    details of why you think you might need one.

    > PBX - some kind of exchange right?

    See above.

    > Let's you transfer calls?

    Yes, amongst other things.

    > If so... then... it would be really good to have one.
    > I would really need it for my business.

    That all depends on what type of telephone traffic you receive/originate.

    > Any replies would be appreciated.

    For a start, you would be better off asking in uk.telecom, unless you want
    specific information about Voice over IP.

    Ivor
    Ivor Jones, Aug 1, 2006
  4. OM

    Ivor Jones Guest

    "Graham." <> wrote in message
    > "OM" <> wrote in message
    > > Dumb question: what's a PBX?
    > > Do I need one?
    > >
    > > PBX - some kind of exchange right?
    > > Let's you transfer calls?
    > > If so... then... it would be really good to have one.
    > > I would really need it for my business.
    > >
    > > Any replies would be appreciated.
    > >
    > > Thanks.
    > >

    > > OM
    > >

    > Strictly speaking a PBX was where the telephonist
    > connected the call with a jack plug, and rang your
    > telephone by cranking a magneto ;-)

    Actually that was a PMBX (Private Manual Branch Exchange). One where calls
    are dialled direct by extension users is a PABX (Private Automatic Branch
    Exchange). Both of these connect to the public (PSTN/POTS or whatever you
    want to call it) network. An internal automatic system which has no
    connection to the outside world is a PAX (Private Automatic Exchange).
    These were once very common, particularly in larger organisations, where
    you would have a PMBX to handle external calls via the company operator,
    but an automatic system for internal calls. You could always tell where
    one of these systems was in use as there were two phones on every desk,
    one on the PMBX (often with no dial) and one on the PAX.

    > OK these days PBX and PABX mean much the same.
    > You might think that a pabx for the home is overkill,

    Not really, it depends how many phones/lines you have..!

    > Some of us posting here are using Asterisk (aka Trixbox)

    What an awful name, why on earth did they change it..? What was wrong with
    Asterisk..?

    > which is a fully fledged VOIP PABX that runs on almost
    > any old PC.

    Most of this thread could of course take place in uk.telecom, unless the
    OP specifically has VoIP solutions in mind.

    Ivor
    Ivor Jones, Aug 1, 2006
  5. OM

    RH Guest

    "OM" <> wrote in message
    > Dumb question: what's a PBX?
    > Do I need one?
    >
    > PBX - some kind of exchange right?
    > Let's you transfer calls?
    > If so... then... it would be really good to have one.
    > I would really need it for my business.
    >
    > Any replies would be appreciated.

    In terms of VOIP, I would say you might need one only if you have more than
    one user using voip services at your location
    or if you want multiple sip accounts from all over the world. Otherwsie if
    you are just looking for voip with transfer functions
    etc, using a voip provider like voipfone will probably do.

    Trixbox is a pain in the arse, if it works thats great, if it doesnt you
    have to hunt around the net finding conflicting information
    until you stumble on the correct info or give up through fustration
    RH, Aug 1, 2006
  6. OM

    NicHughes Guest

    Re: What's a PBX? Do I need one?

    Ivor Jones wrote:

    > > Some of us posting here are using Asterisk (aka Trixbox)

    > What an awful name, why on earth did they change it..? What was wrong with
    > Asterisk..?

    Asterisk is still the PBX software. Trixbox is the pre-packaged Linux
    distro with Asterisk and some other useful sofware pre-configured to
    make it easier to get a PBX up and running quickly.

    Trixbox used to be called Asterisk@Home but they felt the name was
    off-putting for small businesses (a natural enough place to use the
    product) so they changed it.

    > Most of this thread could of course take place in uk.telecom, unless the
    > OP specifically has VoIP solutions in mind.

    True, although this group seems almost by default to be the one that
    handles most of the Asterisk queries.

    ---
    Nic
    www.entrust-systems.net
    NicHughes, Aug 1, 2006
  7. OM

    Jono Guest

    "Ivor Jones" <> wrote in message

    >> Some of us posting here are using Asterisk (aka Trixbox)

    > What an awful name, why on earth did they change it..? What was wrong with
    > Asterisk..?

    Asterisk is still called Asterisk. It's Asterisk@home that's been renamed to
    Trixbox.

    I presume it's a play on "asTRIX BOX"