    prices are certainly good. Anyone have any favorite online shops?

    Thanks,
    Neal

    Ray Tracer, Oct 15, 2003

  2. Ray Tracer

    Wade365 Guest

    << Someone recently mentioned www.dddhouse.com - are they reliable? Their
    prices are certainly good. Anyone have any favorite online shops? >>

    I've ordered three Godzilla discs from hivizone.com and the service was fairly
    fast for shipping a half-globe away, quite satisfied with the product but the
    selection isn't huge and anamorphic or other DVD features like DTS are hit &
    miss... CDJapan has excellent service for Japanese DVDs but be prepared to pay
    (and don't expect subtitles, unless you read Japanese of course).
    Wade365, Oct 15, 2003

  3. Ray Tracer

    Joshua Zyber Guest

    "Ray Tracer" <> wrote in message
    > Someone recently mentioned www.dddhouse.com - are they reliable? Their
    > prices are certainly good. Anyone have any favorite online shops?

    Japan:
    www.cdjapan.co.jp

    Hong Kong:
    www.hivizone.com

    Some people like DDDHouse for their low prices. Personally, I had a
    horrible customer service experience with them and won't use them again.
    HiViZone is usually within a dollar of DDDHouse's prices on almost any
    disc, and their service is much better.
    Joshua Zyber, Oct 15, 2003
  4. On 15 Oct 2003 00:59:13 GMT, (Wade365) wrote:

    ><< Someone recently mentioned www.dddhouse.com - are they reliable? Their
    >prices are certainly good. Anyone have any favorite online shops? >>
    >
    >I've ordered three Godzilla discs from hivizone.com and the service was fairly
    >fast for shipping a half-globe away, quite satisfied with the product but the
    >selection isn't huge and anamorphic or other DVD features like DTS are hit &
    >miss... CDJapan has excellent service for Japanese DVDs but be prepared to pay
    >(and don't expect subtitles, unless you read Japanese of course).

    I got "Rodan", 'Godzilla", and 'Gigantis, the Fire Monster' from CD Japan within 1.5 weeks of ordering. It's
    true there are no bargains and no subtitles, but if you've seen the American versions, you don't need
    subtitles and you can never go back. Great discs!

    SpeedByrd PhD
    SpeedByrd PhD., Oct 15, 2003
  5. Ray Tracer

    Codswallop Guest

    On Tue, 14 Oct 2003 23:27:42 GMT, Ray Tracer wrote in alt.video.dvd:

    > Someone recently mentioned www.dddhouse.com - are they reliable? Their
    > prices are certainly good. Anyone have any favorite online shops?

    Yes, dddhouse.com are great IMO. Very cheap, though shipping is a bit
    expensive.

    I recently ordered HK$550 worth of DVDs, and the shipping was HK$170 on
    top of that. I ordered on October 2nd, shipped on the 8th and it
    arrived on the 14th to Australia.

    They've never stuffed up an order, though their response to email is
    rather slow (1-3 days IME) and may be a problem should something bad
    happen.

    Just make sure you order the DVD if that's what you're after (not the
    VCD), and check that it has English subtitles if you need them; not all
    don't. Actually, one I ordered last year said it had English subs on
    the website, but when I received it, the cover said nothing about
    English subs. Luckily it actually DOES have English subs. ;)

    Wondering if 'Joshua Zyber' could speak up about his bad experiences
    with DDDHouse? I've never had trouble in four orders thus far; I've
    ordered over 30 DVDs from them.

    --
    - Cods

    (un ROT-13 to e-mail)
    Codswallop, Oct 15, 2003
  6. Ray Tracer

    Joshua Zyber Guest

    "Codswallop" <> wrote in message
    > Wondering if 'Joshua Zyber' could speak up about his bad experiences
    > with DDDHouse? I've never had trouble in four orders thus far; I've
    > ordered over 30 DVDs from them.

    Ordered a DVD that was said to be in stock from them. No shipping notice
    two weeks later. Emailed them repeatedly (always politely) over the
    course of the next week. After about the 5th day they responded, "Out of
    Stock. Will ship next week." A week comes and goes, no shipment notice.
    Emailed for several more days until the response, "Still out of stock.
    Will ship next week." Meanwhile, I discover that numerous people who
    ordered the same disc weeks after I did were shipped as soon as stock
    came in, and somehow I've been shafted back to the end of the wait list
    with no explanation. Waited another week and the same thing happens.
    Finally I cancelled the order, went to HiViZone instead, and had the
    disc shipped the next day.
    Joshua Zyber, Oct 15, 2003
  7. Ray Tracer

    Codswallop Guest

    On Wed, 15 Oct 2003 03:47:08 GMT, Joshua Zyber wrote in alt.video.dvd:

    >> Wondering if 'Joshua Zyber' could speak up about his bad experiences
    >> with DDDHouse? I've never had trouble in four orders thus far; I've
    >> ordered over 30 DVDs from them.

    > Ordered a DVD that was said to be in stock from them [and was never
    > shipped].

    Sounds sort of like DVD Soon doesn't it? I think if I ever get in the
    same situation (i.e. DVD not in stock at DDD House), I'll just remove
    that DVD from the order. Still, I might suggest you try from them
    again, as you may find they're better this time around.

    Thanks for the info, though.

    --
    - Cods

    (un ROT-13 to e-mail)
    Codswallop, Oct 15, 2003
  8. Ray Tracer

    Ray Tracer Guest

    in article Xns9415915525FD9codswallopcom@139.132.1.4, Codswallop at
    thus spake on 10/14/03 11:17 PM:

    > On Wed, 15 Oct 2003 03:47:08 GMT, Joshua Zyber wrote in alt.video.dvd:
    >
    >>> Wondering if 'Joshua Zyber' could speak up about his bad experiences
    >>> with DDDHouse? I've never had trouble in four orders thus far; I've
    >>> ordered over 30 DVDs from them.

    >> Ordered a DVD that was said to be in stock from them [and was never
    >> shipped].

    > Sounds sort of like DVD Soon doesn't it? I think if I ever get in the
    > same situation (i.e. DVD not in stock at DDD House), I'll just remove
    > that DVD from the order. Still, I might suggest you try from them
    > again, as you may find they're better this time around.
    >
    > Thanks for the info, though.

    Yes, indeed. Everyone....thanks for the info! By the way, I see at DDDHouse
    that they show their DVDs as 'Code' 3. I'm assuming that's simply how they
    translate 'Region' back into English?

    Again, thanks. Expecting to place a test order or three sometime soon. Hope
    everything goes as well as most of your experiences. Fingers crossed.

    Neal
    --
    "Is Graham Chapman really dead or is he just being difficult?" - Eric Idle
    Ray Tracer, Oct 15, 2003
  9. Ray Tracer

    Codswallop Guest

    On Wed, 15 Oct 2003 04:39:32 GMT, Ray Tracer wrote in alt.video.dvd:

    > Yes, indeed. Everyone....thanks for the info! By the way, I see at
    > DDDHouse that they show their DVDs as 'Code' 3. I'm assuming that's
    > simply how they translate 'Region' back into English?
    >
    > Again, thanks. Expecting to place a test order or three sometime soon.
    > Hope everything goes as well as most of your experiences. Fingers
    > crossed.

    Code 3 is the rating, isn't it? All of their DVDs are Region 3 or "All"
    region.

    --
    - Cods

    (un ROT-13 to e-mail)
    Codswallop, Oct 15, 2003
  10. Ray Tracer

    > Sounds sort of like DVD Soon doesn't it? I think if I ever get in the
    > same situation (i.e. DVD not in stock at DDD House), I'll just remove
    > that DVD from the order. Still, I might suggest you try from them
    > again, as you may find they're better this time around.

    It wasn't so much the disc's lack of availability that bothered me so
    much as their continual lying about when it would ship, followed by
    their completion of other people's orders before mine even though I
    placed the order first. That's not what I consider a reputable business
    model.

    > (un ROT-13 to e-mail)

    Ooh, this is a good idea! I like that.
    Joshua Zyber, Oct 15, 2003
  11. Ray Tracer

    sanpablo Guest

    >I got "Rodan", 'Godzilla", and 'Gigantis, the Fire Monster' from CD Japan within 1.5 weeks of ordering. It's
    >true there are no bargains and no subtitles, but if you've seen the American versions, you don't need
    >subtitles and you can never go back. Great discs!
    >
    > SpeedByrd PhD

    Region codes were established for a reason. You are circumventing the
    wishes of the MPAA. How dare you!! :)
    sanpablo, Oct 15, 2003
  12. On Wed, 15 Oct 2003 12:34:45 GMT, (sanpablo) wrote:

    >>I got "Rodan", 'Godzilla", and 'Gigantis, the Fire Monster' from CD Japan within 1.5 weeks of ordering. It's
    >>true there are no bargains and no subtitles, but if you've seen the American versions, you don't need
    >>subtitles and you can never go back. Great discs!
    >>
    >> SpeedByrd PhD

    >Region codes were established for a reason. You are circumventing the
    >wishes of the MPAA. How dare you!! :)

    I didn't circumvent anything. I have an all-region disc player which is legal.

    SpeedByrd PhD
    SpeedByrd PhD., Oct 15, 2003
  13. Ray Tracer

    Rob Guest

    try eBay ... they're loaded with Hong Kong and Malaysian bootlegs ...

    Rob, Oct 15, 2003
  14. On 15 Oct 2003 09:14:08 -0700, (Rob) wrote:

    >try eBay ... they're loaded with Hong Kong and Malaysian bootlegs ...
    >
    >Ray Tracer <> wrote in message news:<BBB1F0AD.2CEEC%>...
    >> Someone recently mentioned www.dddhouse.com - are they reliable? Their
    >> prices are certainly good. Anyone have any favorite online shops?
    >>
    >> Thanks,
    >> Neal

    They're expensive, they are copies from VHS. I fell for one of those offers and got "Sodom and Gomorrah"
    from Hong Kong. It was only a VHS-DVD transfer and not widescreen. I'd be really careful with these.

    SpeedByrd PhD
    SpeedByrd PhD., Oct 15, 2003
  15. Ray Tracer

    Ray Tracer Guest

    in article Xns94157C88EAC0Acodswallopcom@139.132.1.4, Codswallop at
    thus spake on 10/14/03 9:14 PM:

    > On Tue, 14 Oct 2003 23:27:42 GMT, Ray Tracer wrote in alt.video.dvd:
    >
    >> Someone recently mentioned www.dddhouse.com - are they reliable? Their
    >> prices are certainly good. Anyone have any favorite online shops?

    > Yes, dddhouse.com are great IMO. Very cheap, though shipping is a bit
    > expensive.

    Boy, you ain't kiddin'! I just placed a test order. Admittedly, I was
    shopping for discounted titles for my first order but I was still shocked to
    see that the shipping doubled the order total. Still, the exchange rate
    fixed that up - reminding me that I'm still getting a helluva deal.

    ....as long as it shows up and all, of course. :p

    Thanks again for the info.

    Neal
    --
    ³Flash! Flash, I love you! But we¹ve only got 14 hours to save the Earth!!²
    - Dale Arden
    Ray Tracer, Oct 15, 2003
  16. Ray Tracer

    Wade365 Guest

    For those of you who have gotten hooked on Hong Kong discs and why not with the
    price and the subtitles, can you tell me why HiviZone only sells a few of the
    films in the Godzilla catalog (specifically the ones from 2000 onward)? If Toho
    will allow them to distribute the last four films why won't they offer the
    others in the series, at least the films made in the 90s? They carry lots of
    other older movies (I have thought about getting a few Bruce Lee titles they
    have so I don't have to listen to the english dub) so it's not like they're
    only offering new releases only.

    Just a question.
    Wade365, Oct 15, 2003
  17. Ray Tracer

    Codswallop Guest

    On Wed, 15 Oct 2003 18:37:51 GMT, Ray Tracer wrote in alt.video.dvd:

    >> Yes, dddhouse.com are great IMO. Very cheap, though shipping is a
    >> bit expensive.

    > Boy, you ain't kiddin'! I just placed a test order. Admittedly, I was
    > shopping for discounted titles for my first order but I was still
    > shocked to see that the shipping doubled the order total.

    It does get cheaper the more you order; I try to only make big orders
    through them which I suppose is a bit more of a risk.

    One disc is HK$30; my recent ten-disc order was HK$170 for the ten
    discs. Still, that's over the cost of most new DVDs here in Australia
    (over $30).

    --
    - Cods

    (un ROT-13 to email)
    Codswallop, Oct 16, 2003
  18. Ray Tracer

    Codswallop Guest

    On Wed, 15 Oct 2003 11:53:20 GMT, Joshua Zyber wrote in alt.video.dvd:

    > It wasn't so much the disc's lack of availability that bothered me so
    > much as their continual lying about when it would ship, followed by
    > their completion of other people's orders before mine even though I
    > placed the order first. That's not what I consider a reputable
    > business model.

    That's a fair call. I suspect if I ever get the same treatment from
    them that will be the last time I order from them. Hivizone seems to be
    quite a bit more expensive for Australians; plus they don't have quite
    the same selection.

    Another place, coolashop.com used to be pretty good (apparently), but
    they've closed shop now which is a shame.

    --
    - Cods

    (un ROT-13 to email)
    Codswallop, Oct 16, 2003
  19. Ray Tracer

    Codswallop Guest

    On Wed, 15 Oct 2003 16:14:08 GMT, Rob wrote in alt.video.dvd:

    > Ray Tracer <> wrote in message
    >
    >> Someone recently mentioned www.dddhouse.com - are they reliable?
    >> Their prices are certainly good. Anyone have any favorite online
    >> shops?

    > try eBay ... they're loaded with Hong Kong and Malaysian bootlegs ...

    True, but DDD House does not sell bootlegs; though their prices are so
    cheap you'd think they are.

    HK$25 for Battle Royale (on special) is less than 5 bucks in Australia;
    and under $3.50 for US buyers.

    --
    - Cods

    (un ROT-13 to email)