    distributed a portable hand scanner with a 6-inch chasis. You'd make
    two passes on a book page and then stitch the image, but it was b&w. I
    need color. Is there something on the market now that will do the job?
    Pixsnap, Dec 17, 2003

  2. Pixsnap

    CSM1 Guest

    "Pixsnap" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > Visioneer IS NOT the answer! Sheetfed won't help.
    > I need a fairly high quality portable BOOK scanner that can be run off
    > a laptop (USB or parallel). Years ago a company (Atech, maybe?)
    > distributed a portable hand scanner with a 6-inch chasis. You'd make
    > two passes on a book page and then stitch the image, but it was b&w. I
    > need color. Is there something on the market now that will do the job?

    It is called a Digital Camera. You take a picture of the book page. A 3
    megapixel camera will do a pretty good close up of a book page. Of course,
    to get the best results, you would need the camera mounted on a tripod.

    If it is just text you want, here is a one line scanner.
    http://www.dansdata.com/qlpen.htm

    There is an old one on Ebay. At this moment.(4 days 9 hours left)

    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2972827208&category=15223

    --
    CSM1
    http://www.carlmcmillan.com
    CSM1, Dec 17, 2003

  3. Pixsnap

    Ron Recer Guest

    >From: (Pixsnap)
    >Date: 12/17/2003 7:55 AM Central Standard Time

    >Visioneer IS NOT the answer! Sheetfed won't help.
    >I need a fairly high quality portable BOOK scanner that can be run off
    >a laptop (USB or parallel). Years ago a company (Atech, maybe?)
    >distributed a portable hand scanner with a 6-inch chasis. You'd make
    >two passes on a book page and then stitch the image, but it was b&w. I
    >need color. Is there something on the market now that will do the job?

    Canon makes a couple of flatbed scanners that are powered from the USB
    connection to your laptop. They are about an inch thick and have a footprint
    about the size of a clip board.

    Ron
    Mercedes, TX
    Ron Recer, Dec 17, 2003