    I know there are simpler and cheaper applications for dilletantes who just
    want to crop and blur faces. Do you have any suggestions? I would be
    willing to spend up to $40 or so.

    Rick N., Nov 8, 2004

  2. Rick N.

    Chris D Guest

    On Mon, 08 Nov 2004 05:47:17 GMT
    "Rick N." <> wrote:

    > I know there are simpler and cheaper applications for
    > dilletantes who just want to crop and blur faces. Do you have
    > any suggestions? I would be willing to spend up to $40 or so.

    The GIMP is Free, and I *think* will do all you want to. (I Use
    it, but don't do much with it yet)

    http://www.gimp.org/

    Might as well try it - If it works, you save $40, if it doesn't,
    you lose nothing.

    -Chris D

    Chris D, Nov 8, 2004

  3. Christopher Pollard, Nov 8, 2004
  4. Rick N.

    wald Guest

    "Rick N." <> wrote:

    > Greetings, newsgroup!
    >
    > I am still enjoying my Minolta DimageX camera. The software
    > that came with it allows me to rotate an image and adjust
    > brightness and hue.
    >
    > But I want to crop. Sometimes I want to make faces
    > unrecognizable (by blurring or whatever you call it).

    http://www.irfanview.com/

    Regards,
    Wald

    wald, Nov 8, 2004
  5. Rick N.

    Phil Wheeler Guest

    PhotoBrush is pretty good and inexpensive. Uses Photoshop plug-ins, too
    -- I think.

    Irfanbrush does many things and is free.

    Photoshop Elements 3 has much of Photoshop in it. Costs about $100 but
    there are deals around making it about half of that.

    Phil

    Phil Wheeler, Nov 8, 2004
  6. Rick N. wrote:
    []
    > I know there are simpler and cheaper applications for dilletantes who
    > just want to crop and blur faces. Do you have any suggestions? I
    > would be willing to spend up to $40 or so.

    Rick, Paint Shop Pro is a little more than that, but is 90% of the full
    Photoshop (which costs many dollars!). It has some features like Noise
    Reduction and Chromatic Aberration reduction that aren't even in
    Photoshop. I rate the program highly in part because of the helpful
    attitude of the people in the JASC User Forums (free).

    Cheers,
    David

    David J Taylor, Nov 8, 2004
  7. Adobe Photoshop Elements. And learn the vocabulary. It's part of the
    craft.

    Michael A. Covington, Nov 8, 2004
  8. Rick N.

    Bill Hilton Guest

    >From: "Rick N."

    >I know there are simpler and cheaper applications for dilletantes who just
    >want to crop and blur faces. Do you have any suggestions?

    Try the free sample downloads for Elements and Paintshop Pro, those are the two
    most popular consumer programs under $100. You can often find one or the other
    on sale for $50 or so. I would chose Elements because it's easier to migrate
    to Photoshop from it and because the color management is better, but for what
    you describe as your needs either would work fine.

    Bill Hilton, Nov 8, 2004
  9. Rick N.

    YAG-ART Guest

    On Mon, 08 Nov 2004 05:47:17 GMT, "Rick N." <> wrote:

    >Greetings, newsgroup!
    >
    >I am still enjoying my Minolta DimageX camera. The software that came with
    >it allows me to rotate an image and adjust brightness and hue.
    >
    >But I want to crop. Sometimes I want to make faces unrecognizable (by
    >blurring or whatever you call it).
    >
    >Adobe Photoshop is an expert tool for expert users. I tried it on someone
    >else's computer and couldn't even look up anything in the help because I
    >don't know the vocabulary of image processing at the expert level.
    >
    >I know there are simpler and cheaper applications for dilletantes who just
    >want to crop and blur faces. Do you have any suggestions? I would be
    >willing to spend up to $40 or so.

    GIMP is free, but I find harder to use the Photoshop. You can try and
    find a good price on Photoshop Elements. Most applications let you
    crop, its the blurring of the faces that presents the challange

    YAG-ART, Nov 8, 2004
  10. Rick N.

    fortknight Guest

    Rick N. wrote:

    > But I want to crop. Sometimes I want to make faces unrecognizable (by
    > blurring or whatever you call it).

    Be careful with preview images, and reversable blur. Many an amateur
    wife has been outed by an unwitting photographer who has not properly
    understood thier tools.

    fortknight, Nov 8, 2004
  11. Rick N.

    Matt Guest

    On Mon, 08 Nov 2004 05:47:17 GMT, "Rick N." <> wrote:

    >Greetings, newsgroup!
    >
    >I am still enjoying my Minolta DimageX camera. The software that came with
    >it allows me to rotate an image and adjust brightness and hue.
    >
    >But I want to crop. Sometimes I want to make faces unrecognizable (by
    >blurring or whatever you call it).
    >
    >Adobe Photoshop is an expert tool for expert users. I tried it on someone
    >else's computer and couldn't even look up anything in the help because I
    >don't know the vocabulary of image processing at the expert level.
    >
    >I know there are simpler and cheaper applications for dilletantes who just
    >want to crop and blur faces. Do you have any suggestions? I would be
    >willing to spend up to $40 or so.

    Literally, "Photoshop Elements" is the lite version of Photoshop.

    Paintshop Pro - www.jasc.com - is, I would say, better than PS
    Elements, with the "Studio" version being lighter.

    Still outside your price range though, lets try something else:

    http://www.serif.com/photoplus/photoplus9/index.asp - nope, also
    outside your price range.

    Stuff the price range, how about FREE?
    The GIMP isn't for everyone, but there are alternatives:

    http://www.freeserifsoftware.com/serif/ph/ph5/index.asp
    Serif Photoplus 5.5 Free (or for a small fee, with GIF support)

    http://www.photofiltre.com/
    Photofiltre, the current darling of alt.comp.freeware for a Photo-Edit
    program - no spyware, no "call home", no "Webcheck" (Serif lost their
    recommendation as "clean freeware" over that, it's minor, but it lost
    them all their "pricelessware" rankings, where nothing but the purest
    freeware passes)

    Anyway, I have a minor .01 out of date version on my system, so I'll
    just start it up....
    More out of date than I thought, mine's 5.6, the latest is 6.02, so
    things may have changed for the better!

    Interesting, a few features are rather well hidden, I'll describe a
    couple that I've only just found this moment, while tinkering...

    1. Draw Shape - looked high and low for it, and finally found you use
    the selection box and then right click it and select "Stroke and
    Fill".

    2. Adjust the size of a non-rectangular selection - easy, so long as
    you enable the bounding box, impossible otherwise.

    So it has a few rough edges, but unlike Serif's free stuff, it doesn't
    require any registration.

    There are other features, like the "Photomasque" that is good for
    adding frames, but it's horses for courses - if you have the eye,
    skill, patience and budget for Photoshop, you won't be happy with it.

    If you have nothing better, give it a go, it's free!

    Finally, there's the oddball - Pixia
    http://park18.wakwak.com/~pixia/
    If you think you can understand Photoshop, maybe Pixia is for you -
    it's probably the most powerful, it has layers, it has lots of tools
    and windows.
    It's more strongly geared to hand/computer art, at least, that's it's
    strongest fan base, but you can probably handle photo's with it.

    --
    I may be dozzzy, but take the ZZZ's out to mail me
    http://www.junkroom.freeserve.co.uk/jvc2080.htm - 2x2x24 CD-RW troubles

    If you drop a cactus, don't try to catch it!

    Matt, Nov 8, 2004
  12. "Rick N." <> wrote in

    > Adobe Photoshop is an expert tool for expert users. I tried it on
    > someone else's computer and couldn't even look up anything in the help
    > because I don't know the vocabulary of image processing at the expert
    > level.

    Photoshop is not all that hard to use. The manual is not the best,
    I must agree. But - the menues are not all that hard to understand.
    Just wade through them a while and you will feel at home.

    But - of course - it is the cost :)

    Photoshop Elements and Paint Shop Pro are two good alternatives.

    Some say Irfanview. It is free and I use it a lot as a viewer.
    But ... I have to confess that I find it totally impossible to
    understand how I can use it as a general image editor.

    GIMP? Yep - I love it. It is also rather easy to write plug-ins
    for. But - if you think Photoshop is hard to understand - then I
    don't think you shall bother with GIMP.

    /Roland

    Roland Karlsson, Nov 8, 2004
  13. Matt <> wrote in

    > http://www.freeserifsoftware.com/serif/ph/ph5/index.asp
    > Serif Photoplus 5.5 Free (or for a small fee, with GIF support)

    Ouch - downloaded it. It was a pain. Lots of stuff about installing
    some kind of download manager and I gave up after some tries when
    I at last understood that it was HEAVVY spyware. Don't even bother!
    It took me some work to get rid of the parasite. Serif is evil!

    > http://www.photofiltre.com/
    > Photofiltre, the current darling of alt.comp.freeware for a Photo-Edit
    > program

    Hmmm... sound fun. Shall have a look.

    > - no spyware, no "call home", no "Webcheck" (Serif lost their
    > recommendation as "clean freeware" over that, it's minor, but it lost
    > them all their "pricelessware" rankings, where nothing but the purest
    > freeware passes)

    Evil I say. It is not about freeware - I can pay for my ware
    if I need it. It is about getting unwanted crap and the like on
    my computer. Things I don't want there. Things best kept away
    from every healthy computer set up.

    > Finally, there's the oddball - Pixia
    > http://park18.wakwak.com/~pixia/
    > If you think you can understand Photoshop, maybe Pixia is for you -
    > it's probably the most powerful, it has layers, it has lots of tools
    > and windows.
    > It's more strongly geared to hand/computer art, at least, that's it's
    > strongest fan base, but you can probably handle photo's with it.

    Shall take a look.

    /Roland

    Roland Karlsson, Nov 8, 2004
  14. Rick N.

    Matt Guest

    On 8 Nov 2004 22:18:57 GMT, Roland Karlsson
    <> wrote:

    >Matt <> wrote in
    >

    >> http://www.freeserifsoftware.com/serif/ph/ph5/index.asp
    >> Serif Photoplus 5.5 Free (or for a small fee, with GIF support)

    >Ouch - downloaded it. It was a pain. Lots of stuff about installing
    >some kind of download manager and I gave up after some tries when
    >I at last understood that it was HEAVVY spyware. Don't even bother!
    >It took me some work to get rid of the parasite. Serif is evil!

    I meant to say, the offer of Photoplus 7 for 9.95 would have been a
    better deal - if you nuke the appropriate cookies, it'll probably show
    it to you again.

    Matt, Nov 10, 2004
  15. Photoshop Elements 3 is hard to beat. It has many editing improvements over
    2 and combines features in Photoshop Album. December PCWorld rates it #1.
    $50 with rebates at Amazon.

    Bob M

    Robert Morrisette, Nov 10, 2004
  16. Rick N.

    Al Dykes Guest

    In article <>,
    David J Taylor <> wrote:
    >Rick N. wrote:
    >[]
    >> I know there are simpler and cheaper applications for dilletantes who
    >> just want to crop and blur faces. Do you have any suggestions? I
    >> would be willing to spend up to $40 or so.

    >Rick, Paint Shop Pro is a little more than that, but is 90% of the full
    >Photoshop (which costs many dollars!). It has some features like Noise
    >Reduction and Chromatic Aberration reduction that aren't even in
    >Photoshop. I rate the program highly in part because of the helpful
    >attitude of the people in the JASC User Forums (free).
    >
    >Cheers,
    >David

    FWIW Aberation adjustment is in PS CS, in the RAW processing.

    Does PSPro read Canon RAW directly ?

    Does anything but PS CS, Canon's own software, and C1 read Canon Raw ?

    (I know irfanview does, but I don't think it has many controls for RAW
    conversion. If I'm wring I'd like to hear about it.)

    --
    a d y k e s @ p a n i x . c o m
    ----

    Al Dykes, Nov 11, 2004
  17. Al Dykes wrote:
    []
    > FWIW Aberation adjustment is in PS CS, in the RAW processing.

    So Paint Shop Pro has the advantage of not forcing you to use raw mode to
    get the CA correction - it opens it to all digital camera users.

    > Does PSPro read Canon RAW directly ?

    Please check the list of supported RAW formats - I'm sure Canon is in
    there. Canon 300D Rebel, D30, D60, 10D, 1D, 1Ds, 1D Mark II, Powershot
    G3, Powershot G5.

    David

    David J Taylor, Nov 11, 2004
  18. Rick N.

    Bill Hilton Guest

    >From: (Al Dykes)

    >Does anything but PS CS, Canon's own software, and C1 read Canon Raw ?

    According to Canon BreezeBrowser and Bibble also read RAW files.

    Bill Hilton, Nov 11, 2004
  19. Rick N.

    Mark Roberts Guest

    dy (Bill Hilton) wrote:

    >>From: (Al Dykes)

    >>Does anything but PS CS, Canon's own software, and C1 read Canon Raw ?

    >According to Canon BreezeBrowser and Bibble also read RAW files.

    Also Thumbs Plus and ACDSee.

    --
    Mark Roberts
    Photography and writing