What's a good Linux (freeware) program to view/add/delete EXIF data

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Danny D., Oct 30, 2012.

  1. Danny D.

    Danny D. Guest

    What's a good Linux (freeware) program to view/add/delete EXIF data?

    Primary Goal: Linux standalone EXIF viewer (with map showing location).
    Secondary: Ability to modify EXIF information (via a table-like GUI).

    The main goal is to view GPS data easily and privately on my laptop.
    (I like how Irfanview has a button which sends the GPS data to Google
    Maps with a single button click).

    Googling, I find these two command-line programs:
    1. exiv2 - Image metadata manipulation tool
    2. exiftool - Read and write meta information in files

    And, I find these web-based GUIs:
    1. Jeffrey's Exif Viewer (http://regex.info/exif.cgi)
    2. https://addons.mozilla.org/en-us/firefox/addon/exif-viewer

    Testing the command-line tools, I found:
    $ exiv2 photo.jpg (did not report any GPS information)
    $ exiftool photo.jpg (did report GPS position information)

    Testing the web-based GUIs, I found both did as desired:
    1. Jeffrey's Exif Viewer (did show the location on a map)
    2. Firefox addon Exif-Viewer (did show the location on a map)

    So I'm not dead in the water - but - I wonder if you know of a Linux
    standalone program which, like Irfanview on Windows, both views the
    digital photograph and has a button to bring up Google maps to identify
    the location it was snapped?

    Also, is there a program which can graphically change that location
    information, say in a table or some other easier manner than pure text?

    Thanks in advance for your expert advice.
    Danny D., Oct 30, 2012

  2. Danny D.

    Mayayana Guest

    | The main goal is to view GPS data easily and privately on my laptop.
    | (I like how Irfanview has a button which sends the GPS data to Google
    | Maps with a single button click).

    This isn't exactly what you're asking, but IrfanView
    works fine under WINE, if you care to install that.
    Mayayana, Oct 30, 2012

  3. Danny D. wrote:

    >Also, is there a program which can graphically change that location
    >information, say in a table or some other easier manner than pure text?

    something like gpscorrelate
    http://freefoote.dview.net/linux/corrdoc/gui.html

    I don't know what distribution you use, but in Lubuntu it's in the
    softwarecenter

    --
    Ivan V. Klattrup
    http://klattrup.dk
    Ivan V. Klattrup, Oct 30, 2012
  4. Danny D.

    Craig Guest

    Re: What's a good Linux (freeware) program to view/add/delete EXIFdata

    On 10/30/2012 06:37 AM, Mayayana wrote:
    > | The main goal is to view GPS data easily and privately on my laptop.
    > | (I like how Irfanview has a button which sends the GPS data to Google
    > | Maps with a single button click).
    >
    > This isn't exactly what you're asking, but IrfanView
    > works fine under WINE, if you care to install that.

    Can't vouch for completeness/accuracy but there's a listing at Wikipedia
    which may make for a good start:

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_metadata_editors

    hth,
    --
    -Craig
    Craig, Oct 30, 2012
  5. Danny D.

    Mike Easter Guest

    Danny D. wrote:

    > Irfanview

    Q: Can I use IrfanView on Linux?

    A: Yes. There is no native-Linux version of IrfanView. However, you can
    use IrfanView in conjunction with Linux programs like WINE, Windows
    Linux emulators and Linux-based virtual machines. Take the ZIP version
    of IrfanView and unzip it or copy your existing Windows IrfanView folder
    to Linux. This is easier because the installer may need additional
    Windows DLLs to run. See instructions on: IrfanView on Linux with Wine

    http://www.irfanview.com/faq.htm#Q57

    --
    Mike Easter
    Mike Easter, Oct 30, 2012
  6. Danny D.

    nospam Guest

    In article <k6oans$88p$>, Danny D.
    <> wrote:

    > What's a good Linux (freeware) program to view/add/delete EXIF data?

    look no further than exiftool, for linux, mac and windows. everything
    else pales in comparison.

    <http://www.sno.phy.queensu.ca/~phil/exiftool/>
    nospam, Oct 30, 2012
  7. Danny D.

    DanP Guest

    On Tuesday, October 30, 2012 10:38:57 AM UTC, Danny D. wrote:
    > What's a good Linux (freeware) program to view/add/delete EXIF data?
    >

    > Primary Goal: Linux standalone EXIF viewer (with map showing location).
    >
    > Secondary: Ability to modify EXIF information (via a table-like GUI).
    >

    > The main goal is to view GPS data easily and privately on my laptop.
    >
    > (I like how Irfanview has a button which sends the GPS data to Google
    >
    > Maps with a single button click).
    >

    > Googling, I find these two command-line programs:
    >
    > 1. exiv2 - Image metadata manipulation tool
    >
    > 2. exiftool - Read and write meta information in files
    >

    > And, I find these web-based GUIs:
    >
    > 1. Jeffrey's Exif Viewer (http://regex.info/exif.cgi)
    >
    > 2. https://addons.mozilla.org/en-us/firefox/addon/exif-viewer
    >

    > Testing the command-line tools, I found:
    >
    > $ exiv2 photo.jpg (did not report any GPS information)
    >
    > $ exiftool photo.jpg (did report GPS position information)
    >

    > Testing the web-based GUIs, I found both did as desired:
    >
    > 1. Jeffrey's Exif Viewer (did show the location on a map)
    >
    > 2. Firefox addon Exif-Viewer (did show the location on a map)
    >

    > So I'm not dead in the water - but - I wonder if you know of a Linux
    >
    > standalone program which, like Irfanview on Windows, both views the
    >
    > digital photograph and has a button to bring up Google maps to identify
    >
    > the location it was snapped?
    >

    > Also, is there a program which can graphically change that location
    >
    > information, say in a table or some other easier manner than pure text?
    >

    > Thanks in advance for your expert advice.

    DigiKam.
    Does pretty much everything and comes in a massive size.
    Shows photo location on Google maps and it has a plugin to edit EXIF data (Metadata).
    Only bad point is missing layers.

    DanP
    DanP, Oct 30, 2012
  8. Danny D.

    Zak Hipp Guest

    On 30/10/2012 16:53, nospam wrote:
    > In article <k6oans$88p$>, Danny D.
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >> What's a good Linux (freeware) program to view/add/delete EXIF data?

    > look no further than exiftool, for linux, mac and windows. everything
    > else pales in comparison.
    >
    > <http://www.sno.phy.queensu.ca/~phil/exiftool/>

    Looks like a thread terminator to me. I'll see if I can get along with it.

    Thank you.

    Zak Hipp
    Zak Hipp, Oct 31, 2012
  9. Danny D.

    Sandman Guest

    In article <301020120953028271%>,
    nospam <> wrote:

    > In article <k6oans$88p$>, Danny D.
    > <> wrote:
    >
    > > What's a good Linux (freeware) program to view/add/delete EXIF data?

    > look no further than exiftool, for linux, mac and windows. everything
    > else pales in comparison.
    >
    > <http://www.sno.phy.queensu.ca/~phil/exiftool/>

    +1

    No graphical GPS editor though, but exiftool is amazing.

    --
    Sandman[.net]
    Sandman, Oct 31, 2012
  10. Danny D.

    nospam Guest

    In article <>, Sandman
    <> wrote:

    > No graphical GPS editor though, but exiftool is amazing.

    he's a linux user. he won't notice.
    nospam, Oct 31, 2012
  11. Danny D.

    nospam Guest

    In article <>, Floyd L. Davidson
    <> wrote:

    > Neither you nore nospam seems to have read what the OP asked though.

    from the very first line:
    <> wrote:
    > What's a good Linux (freeware) program to view/add/delete EXIF data?

    exiftool definitely does that.
    nospam, Oct 31, 2012
  12. Danny D.

    philo Guest

    On 10/31/2012 02:52 AM, Floyd L. Davidson wrote:
    > Sandman <> wrote:
    >> In article <301020120953028271%>,
    >> nospam <> wrote:

    >>> look no further than exiftool, for linux, mac and windows. everything
    >>> else pales in comparison.
    >>>
    >>> <http://www.sno.phy.queensu.ca/~phil/exiftool/>

    >> +1
    >>
    >> No graphical GPS editor though, but exiftool is amazing.

    > Neither you nore nospam seems to have read what the OP asked though.
    >
    > Exiftool is wonderful program, but no it does not accomplish what the
    > OP needs. What the OP asked for was a program that,
    >
    > "both views the digital photograph and has a button to bring up
    > Google maps to identify the location it was snapped?"
    >
    > Exiftool does neither.
    >
    > Secondarily the OP asked,
    >
    > "Also, is there a program which can graphically change that location
    > information, say in a table or some other easier manner than pure
    > text?"
    >
    > Obviously Exiftool does not qualify there either.
    >
    > It helps to actually read and try to understand what the request is,
    > rather than jumping to conclusions at the end of the first sentence.

    That "no spam" guy is a troll.

    --
    https://www.createspace.com/3707686
    philo, Oct 31, 2012
  13. Danny D.

    Sandman Guest

    In article <>,
    (Floyd L. Davidson) wrote:

    > >> look no further than exiftool, for linux, mac and windows. everything
    > >> else pales in comparison.
    > >>
    > >> <http://www.sno.phy.queensu.ca/~phil/exiftool/>

    > >+1
    > >
    > >No graphical GPS editor though, but exiftool is amazing.

    > Neither you nore nospam seems to have read what the OP asked though.
    >
    > Exiftool is wonderful program, but no it does not accomplish what the
    > OP needs. What the OP asked for was a program that,
    >
    > "both views the digital photograph and has a button to bring up
    > Google maps to identify the location it was snapped?"

    I "+1" on the fact that exiftool is the best there, and noted that it
    doesn't have a GUI. Me noting that was in direct reference to the OP's
    needs, actually.

    > It helps to actually read and try to understand what the request is,
    > rather than jumping to conclusions at the end of the first sentence.

    Cool. What were my conclusions, then? Surely you read and understood
    my posts before you wrote your followup and can detail my erroneous
    conclusion contained in these words:

    +1

    No graphical GPS editor though, but exiftool is amazing.

    Please help me find the "conclusion" you are in reference to.

    High horses and all that...

    --
    Sandman[.net]
    Sandman, Oct 31, 2012
  14. Danny D.

    Sandman Guest

    In article <>,
    (Floyd L. Davidson) wrote:

    > >I "+1" on the fact that exiftool is the best there, and noted that it
    > >doesn't have a GUI. Me noting that was in direct reference to the OP's
    > >needs, actually.

    > You apparently did not understand what the OP said his need was...

    You are apparently not understanding what I am writing.

    I noted it was NOT a GUI tool and thus would NOT suffice the needs of
    the OP.

    > >> It helps to actually read and try to understand what the request is,
    > >> rather than jumping to conclusions at the end of the first sentence.

    > >Cool. What were my conclusions, then? Surely you read and understood
    > >my posts before you wrote your followup and can detail my erroneous
    > >conclusion contained in these words:

    > Surely you can read and understand that exiftool will *not* do what the
    > OP wants done?

    Again, what was my conclusion you were in reference to? You wrote
    about it explicitly above, surely you can point to it?

    > > +1
    > >
    > > No graphical GPS editor though, but exiftool is amazing.
    > >
    > >Please help me find the "conclusion" you are in reference to.
    > >
    > >High horses and all that...

    > So how can you give a +1 to an answer that is non-responsive to what the
    > OP requested?

    By typing "+1" on my keyboard when the insert cursor is following the
    passage of text to which I am adding my affirmative opinion to.

    > Sure, the program does what *nospam* was thinking, but
    > that does not help the OP at all.

    Surely English isn't your first language. The usage of the word
    "though" in my text should have hinted about the paragraph being a
    caveat to the intended purpose of the suggestion delivered by the
    preceding author? One does not use the word "though" to express and
    agreement with a supposed conclusion from the person to which one is
    responding. It is quite clearly a sign of slight or great
    disagreement. In this case it was in reference to the original posters
    expressed needs. My reply clearly chowed that I am capable of agreeing
    with "nospam"'s conclusion while at the same time adding information
    about the fact that it does not fulfill the original posters entire
    wishlist of features.

    --
    Sandman[.net]
    Sandman, Oct 31, 2012
  15. Danny D.

    Shadow Guest

    On Tue, 30 Oct 2012 10:38:52 +0000, Danny D. wrote:

    > What's a good Linux (freeware) program to view/add/delete EXIF data?
    >
    > Primary Goal: Linux standalone EXIF viewer (with map showing location).
    > Secondary: Ability to modify EXIF information (via a table-like GUI).
    >
    > The main goal is to view GPS data easily and privately on my laptop. (I
    > like how Irfanview has a button which sends the GPS data to Google Maps
    > with a single button click).

    Try this:

    http://newsgroup.xnview.com/viewforum.php?f=60

    Read about XnView 0.51. Released last week.

    > So I'm not dead in the water - but - I wonder if you know of a Linux
    > standalone program which, like Irfanview on Windows, both views the
    > digital photograph and has a button to bring up Google maps to identify
    > the location it was snapped?

    Probably. I don't have any porn on my PC with geo imbedded, so
    can't check it for you.

    > Also, is there a program which can graphically change that location
    > information, say in a table or some other easier manner than pure text?
    >
    > Thanks in advance for your expert advice.

    I just use it as a viewer. For expert advice, try Bear.
    []'s
    Shadow, Oct 31, 2012