What's a Good Digital Camera for Time-Lapse Work?

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Scott en Aztlán, Aug 11, 2007.

  1. I'm interested in doing some time-lapse photography, something along
    the lines of what you see in these videos:

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GDfqCFFvfag
    http://digitalartwork.net/wp/2007/01/30/time-lapse-tutorial/

    My current camera is a CoolPix 995. I have a serial cable for it and
    some interval software I found on the net. The problem is the camera
    can only take one frame every 15 seconds or so. While that's fine for
    some applications, to make videos like those linked above would
    require capturing a frame about once per second or so (I'm guessing).

    My CoolPix is kind of old, so I could probably justify upgrading to a
    newer camera. :) The first video says it was created with a Canon 20D,
    so clearly that will work. Are there other cameras which would also do
    a good job? Which ones?

    Thanks for your help!
    --
    "It's little sh*ts like you that take my time away from my fiancee and
    loved ones. F*CK YOU."

  2. Scott en Aztlán

    Pete D Guest

    Many of the current D-SLRs would be able to do this and would give a good
    result. Main thing to look out for would be being able to connect an
    intervalomenter or some sort of device that could take shots every N seconds
    (or part of a second).

    Cheers.

    Pete

    Pete D, Aug 11, 2007

  3. Scott en Aztlán

    John Kaiber Guest

    On Fri, 10 Aug 2007 22:54:09 -0700, Scott en Aztlán <>
    wrote:

    >I'm interested in doing some time-lapse photography, something along
    >the lines of what you see in these videos:
    >
    >http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GDfqCFFvfag
    >http://digitalartwork.net/wp/2007/01/30/time-lapse-tutorial/
    >
    >My current camera is a CoolPix 995. I have a serial cable for it and
    >some interval software I found on the net. The problem is the camera
    >can only take one frame every 15 seconds or so. While that's fine for
    >some applications, to make videos like those linked above would
    >require capturing a frame about once per second or so (I'm guessing).
    >
    >My CoolPix is kind of old, so I could probably justify upgrading to a
    >newer camera. :) The first video says it was created with a Canon 20D,
    >so clearly that will work. Are there other cameras which would also do
    >a good job? Which ones?
    >
    >Thanks for your help!

    Any of these Canon Powershot cameras (Fw = firmware version):

    A610, Fw: 1.00D (with CHDK version for 1.00E), 1.00E, 1.00F
    A620, Fw: 1.00F ( 1.00E is not compatible. You must upgrade to 1.00F first )
    A630, Fw: 1.00C
    A640, Fw: 1.00B
    A700, Fw: 1.00B
    A710 IS, Fw: 1.00A
    S2 IS, Fw: 1.00E, 1.00F, 1.00G, 1.00I (with CHDK version for 1.00G)
    S3 IS, Fw: 1.00A

    Which can run CHDK http://scratchpad.wikia.com/wiki/CHDK

    They're probably your best option. Using the CHDK uBASIC scripts that others
    have written, or if you write your own, such as this OMNI Intervalometer script

    http://scratchpad.wikia.com/wiki/CHDK/uBASIC/Scripts:_OMNI_Intervalometer

    This one allows you to set intervals as long as you want, hours if needed, or as
    short as you want in 1/10th second increments, up to high-speed burst mode rates
    of 2.4fps. The one above will have to be modified if using it on Axxx cameras if
    you want it to control your video and high-speed continuous modes too.

    There's also the Ultra Intervalometer script

    http://scratchpad.wikia.com/wiki/CHDK/uBASIC/Scripts:_Ultra_Intervalometer

    That one works with all CHDK enabled cameras but has fewer features, no settings
    for movie or high-speed continuous modes. The built-in intervalometers in
    cameras or when using remote-shooting software with DSLRs connected to a laptop
    they only use the first shot's exposure settings and focus for all subsequent
    photos. These scripts will also auto-focus, white-balance, and set proper
    exposure for each shot for the whole duration of a lengthy session. When used at
    the fastest rates in single-shot modes this is like having continuous shooting
    with refocusing for each shot.

    You don't need some overpriced and overweight camera tethered to a laptop or
    other computer to get what you need. CHDK capable cameras can do it all for you
    just by themselves.

    I read that someone is now doing the programming to include motion-detection
    capabilities into CHDK, as well as allowing the motion-detection triggering to
    be used through scripting functions, that's going to open up even more amazing
    possibilities.
    John Kaiber, Aug 11, 2007
  4. In article <>,
    Scott en Aztl?n <> wrote:

    > I'm interested in doing some time-lapse photography, something along
    > the lines of what you see in these videos:
    >
    > http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GDfqCFFvfag
    > http://digitalartwork.net/wp/2007/01/30/time-lapse-tutorial/
    >
    > My current camera is a CoolPix 995. I have a serial cable for it and
    > some interval software I found on the net. The problem is the camera
    > can only take one frame every 15 seconds or so. While that's fine for
    > some applications, to make videos like those linked above would
    > require capturing a frame about once per second or so (I'm guessing).
    >
    > My CoolPix is kind of old, so I could probably justify upgrading to a
    > newer camera. :) The first video says it was created with a Canon 20D,
    > so clearly that will work. Are there other cameras which would also do
    > a good job? Which ones?
    >
    > Thanks for your help!

    The prosumer DSLRs should have no problem. I know the Canon Digital
    Rebel series can be hooked up to a laptop for time lapse photography.
    You can also connect an external timer to the remote control jack. Some
    webcams and video cameras might even have a passable quality for this
    kind of thing.
    Kevin McMurtrie, Aug 11, 2007
  5. Scott en Aztlán

    Art Guest

    I have good results with:
    http://www.amazon.com/Canon-TC80N3-Remote-Control-Cameras/dp/B00009XVA3

    on a 20d.

    Art, Aug 11, 2007
  6. On Sat, 11 Aug 2007 07:33:22 GMT, John Kaiber <>
    wrote:

    >Any of these Canon Powershot cameras (Fw = firmware version):
    >
    >S2 IS, Fw: 1.00E, 1.00F, 1.00G, 1.00I (with CHDK version for 1.00G)
    >S3 IS, Fw: 1.00A
    >
    >Which can run CHDK http://scratchpad.wikia.com/wiki/CHDK

    And the S5 IS, also, I assume?

    The S3 seems to have been discontinued and replaced with the S5.

    >They're probably your best option.

    Indeed - this is exactly what I need.

    Thanks, John!
    --
    "It's little sh*ts like you that take my time away from my fiancee and
    loved ones. F*CK YOU."
    - Carl Rogers, 12/30/2006
  7. On Sat, 11 Aug 2007 01:04:11 -0700, Kevin McMurtrie
    <> wrote:

    >Some
    >webcams and video cameras might even have a passable quality for this
    >kind of thing.

    Been there, done that. I have a couple of Logitech Quickcams that I
    played around with and the results weren't exactly inspiring. A big
    part of it is you don't have much control over a webcam's exposure.

    http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-4508866860206154884

    Needless to say I'm looking to improve the quality of my results. :)
    --
    "It's little sh*ts like you that take my time away from my fiancee and
    loved ones. F*CK YOU."
    - Carl Rogers, 12/30/2006
  8. Scott en Aztlán

    dennis@home Guest

    > I'm interested in doing some time-lapse photography, something along
    > the lines of what you see in these videos:
    >
    > http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GDfqCFFvfag
    > http://digitalartwork.net/wp/2007/01/30/time-lapse-tutorial/
    >
    > My current camera is a CoolPix 995. I have a serial cable for it and
    > some interval software I found on the net. The problem is the camera
    > can only take one frame every 15 seconds or so. While that's fine for
    > some applications, to make videos like those linked above would
    > require capturing a frame about once per second or so (I'm guessing).

    Are you setting the capture quality too high?
    For youtube you only need a small low quality image (less than VGA) and the
    camera can probably do these far faster.
    dennis@home, Aug 11, 2007
  9. Scott en Aztlán

    John Kaiber Guest

    On Sat, 11 Aug 2007 07:48:49 -0700, Scott en Aztlán <>
    wrote:

    >On Sat, 11 Aug 2007 07:33:22 GMT, John Kaiber <>
    >wrote:
    >
    >>Any of these Canon Powershot cameras (Fw = firmware version):
    >>
    >>S2 IS, Fw: 1.00E, 1.00F, 1.00G, 1.00I (with CHDK version for 1.00G)
    >>S3 IS, Fw: 1.00A
    >>
    >>Which can run CHDK http://scratchpad.wikia.com/wiki/CHDK

    >And the S5 IS, also, I assume?

    No.

    And as far as talks online go it appears nobody will be working on patching into
    the S5 or any other camera that uses the new Digic III processor. There has been
    some mention about Canon locking out any way that their cameras can be made more
    useful in their newer models after having seen what can be done with CHDK. It
    cuts into their more lucrative sales of overpriced dSLR hardware where they make
    their real money. They can sell a $200 lens for $2000 to those not bright enough
    to realize it. All one has to do is see how much the same lens designs were sold
    for SLRs not long ago. In reality they should be even more inexpensive today due
    to advances in manufacturing automation, not 10-20x's the price. Not unlike
    printer companies that will sell you a printer for little more than it costs for
    a set of ink cartridges, knowing that they can now make even more money by
    selling you inexpensive pigments and water at a 10,000% mark-up.

    >The S3 seems to have been discontinued and replaced with the S5.

    The S3s are available but you have to hunt around. At one time prices dropped as
    low as $100 for them by some retailers, averaging about $220 to $300. But now
    that they are becoming harder to find some dealers are raising the prices back
    up to $320 and higher on the few that they have left. Approaching the prices of
    new S5s. Word is out that the S3 IS is in hot demand due to CHDK and that the S5
    offers too little in improvements to make it worth the extra cost. In due time
    the S3 IS may become the highest priced discontinued camera ever made. People
    are realizing what an advanced camera it really is when CHDK is added onto it.
    No other cameras on earth even come close in capability and adaptability. The S3
    IS being the most versatile of the CHDK cameras. If you can't find an S3 IS
    don't overlook any of the other models supported. You'll still have the same
    amazing scripting features for time-lapse photography, and much more.

    For example, check out the scripts that some have written for macro-photography
    focus bracketing and HDR bracketing. There are no other cameras on earth with
    that capability. I like the "Grids" feature too. I can design any framing-assist
    for any print-size or movie display ratio that I desire. I can't wait for the
    new motion-detection feature to be implemented. What a boon to unattended
    wildlife photography, or remote-control operation using nothing more than a $2
    laser pointer as your long-range cable release.
    John Kaiber, Aug 12, 2007
  10. On Sun, 12 Aug 2007 00:43:44 GMT, John Kaiber <>
    wrote:

    >On Sat, 11 Aug 2007 07:48:49 -0700, Scott en Aztlán <>
    >wrote:
    >
    >>On Sat, 11 Aug 2007 07:33:22 GMT, John Kaiber <>
    >>wrote:
    >>
    >>>Any of these Canon Powershot cameras (Fw = firmware version):
    >>>
    >>>S2 IS, Fw: 1.00E, 1.00F, 1.00G, 1.00I (with CHDK version for 1.00G)
    >>>S3 IS, Fw: 1.00A
    >>>
    >>>Which can run CHDK http://scratchpad.wikia.com/wiki/CHDK

    >>And the S5 IS, also, I assume?

    >No.
    >
    >And as far as talks online go it appears nobody will be working on patching into
    >the S5 or any other camera that uses the new Digic III processor.

    In that case, I'm glad I didn't run out and buy an S5 today like I was
    considering. :) I did some checking, and it seems there are still a
    few S3's around here and there, so I will try and pick up one of
    those.
    --
    "It's little sh*ts like you that take my time away from my fiancee and
    loved ones. F*CK YOU."
    - Carl Rogers, 12/30/2006
  11. On Sat, 11 Aug 2007 08:07:03 -0700, Scott en Aztlán
    <> wrote:

    >On Sat, 11 Aug 2007 01:04:11 -0700, Kevin McMurtrie
    ><> wrote:
    >
    >>Some
    >>webcams and video cameras might even have a passable quality for this
    >>kind of thing.

    >Been there, done that. I have a couple of Logitech Quickcams that I
    >played around with and the results weren't exactly inspiring. A big
    >part of it is you don't have much control over a webcam's exposure.
    >
    >http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-4508866860206154884
    >
    >Needless to say I'm looking to improve the quality of my results. :)

    BTW, in case anyone is interested, here's one I did at night time with
    the same webcam:

    http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-9009892655851635693&hl=en
  12. On Sat, 11 Aug 2007 17:21:28 +0100, "dennis@home"
    <-ass.net> wrote:

    >> My current camera is a CoolPix 995. I have a serial cable for it and
    >> some interval software I found on the net. The problem is the camera
    >> can only take one frame every 15 seconds or so.

    >Are you setting the capture quality too high?

    I tried all three settings, but even the lowest res took a long time.
    --
    "It's little sh*ts like you that take my time away from my fiancee and
    loved ones. F*CK YOU."
    - Carl Rogers, 12/30/2006
  13. Scott en Aztlán

    Sosumi Guest

    > I'm interested in doing some time-lapse photography, something along
    > the lines of what you see in these videos:
    >
    > http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GDfqCFFvfag
    > http://digitalartwork.net/wp/2007/01/30/time-lapse-tutorial/
    >
    > My current camera is a CoolPix 995. I have a serial cable for it and
    > some interval software I found on the net. The problem is the camera
    > can only take one frame every 15 seconds or so. While that's fine for
    > some applications, to make videos like those linked above would
    > require capturing a frame about once per second or so (I'm guessing).
    >
    > My CoolPix is kind of old, so I could probably justify upgrading to a
    > newer camera. :) The first video says it was created with a Canon 20D,
    > so clearly that will work. Are there other cameras which would also do
    > a good job? Which ones?

    It seems you try to ride a bike by changing a car...

    Take a cheap video camcorder (I use a Canon MV900 with excellent optics for
    about $300,- new) and take Campanel from Eagletron. You´ll be very surprised
    what you can do with this software. Even hang multiple camera´s on one PC,
    motion detection (amazing, with a standard camera!) with their hardware you
    can even track a person or subject and lots more.
    Use the right tools and any job becomes easy ;-)))

    BTW, video camera´s focus much better in darkness then photo cams do. Why?

    Here´s the link:
    http://www.trackercam.com/TCamWeb/campanelsummary.htm

    Can´t believe it´s so cheap.
    Sosumi, Aug 12, 2007
  14. On Sun, 12 Aug 2007 15:26:07 +0100, "Sosumi" <> wrote:

    >It seems you try to ride a bike by changing a car...
    >
    >Take a cheap video camcorder (I use a Canon MV900 with excellent optics for
    >about $300,- new) and take Campanel from Eagletron. You´ll be very surprised
    >what you can do with this software.

    I have a pretty decent camcorder (PV-GS500) and Adobe Premiere. Yes, I
    can simulate time-lapse with this combination by telling Premiere to
    "speed up" a clip (i.e. by only taking every nth frame). The result
    looks something like this:

    However, each frame is still subject to the camcorder's limits WRT
    exposure time, i.e. dragging the shutter is impossible, as are
    exposure times longer than 1/30th of a second. A still camera is much
    more flexible.
    --
    "It's little sh*ts like you that take my time away from my fiancee and
    loved ones. F*CK YOU."
    - Carl Rogers, 12/30/2006
  15. Just wanted to thank everybody for their help and advice. I ended up
    buying a Canon S3-IS and, using the CHDK firmware and the Ultimate
    Intervalometer script, I got some encouraging results on my first
    attempt:

    http://slothkills.blip.tv/file/404039/
    --
    Drive right. Pass left.
    Scott in SoCal, Oct 1, 2007
  16. Scott en Aztlán

    hank_ten Guest

    On Sun, 30 Sep 2007 20:35:28 -0700, Scott in SoCal <>
    wrote:

    >Just wanted to thank everybody for their help and advice. I ended up
    >buying a Canon S3-IS and, using the CHDK firmware and the Ultimate
    >Intervalometer script, I got some encouraging results on my first
    >attempt:
    >
    >http://slothkills.blip.tv/file/404039/

    Congrats.

    You might like the OMNI-Intervalometer for some things. It's an advanced version
    of the Ultimate Intervalometer. It included options specifically for the
    S-series cameras to trigger burst modes and video-clips too. Same script, just
    more features and options.

    Be sure to check out the new CHDK with motion-detection. It's just getting more
    and more amazing every week. Set motion detection to trigger only when enough
    change has been detected over your own defined time periods and you won't even
    need an intervalometer for some subjects. Let the subject itself define when to
    shoot a frame. If it's not moving within 1 minute don't bother shooting. If it's
    moving enough to be detected every 5 seconds fire a shot every 5 seconds. Just
    some rough examples, you can of course set those time periods and the
    motion-sensitivity to anything that you want. You could even set the variables
    and script lines to trigger shots only when there's slow motion in the FOV and
    reject all fast motions.
    hank_ten, Oct 1, 2007
  17. Scott en Aztlán

    Guest

    On Oct 1, 4:35 am, Scott in SoCal <> wrote:
    > Just wanted to thank everybody for their help and advice. I ended up
    > buying a Canon S3-IS and, using the CHDK firmware and the Ultimate
    > Intervalometer script, I got some encouraging results on my first
    > attempt:
    >
    > http://slothkills.blip.tv/file/404039/

    This looks great to me. Could you photograph star trails like this?
    I.e. set the intervalometer script up to take photos of the night sky,
    download the images to a computer, and then stack them? With or
    without motion compensation for the rotation of the earth?
    , Oct 1, 2007
  18. Scott en Aztlán

    LyleBeardon Guest

    On Mon, 01 Oct 2007 02:38:38 -0700, ""
    <> wrote:

    >On Oct 1, 4:35 am, Scott in SoCal <> wrote:
    >> Just wanted to thank everybody for their help and advice. I ended up
    >> buying a Canon S3-IS and, using the CHDK firmware and the Ultimate
    >> Intervalometer script, I got some encouraging results on my first
    >> attempt:
    >>
    >> http://slothkills.blip.tv/file/404039/

    >This looks great to me. Could you photograph star trails like this?
    >I.e. set the intervalometer script up to take photos of the night sky,
    >download the images to a computer, and then stack them? With or
    >without motion compensation for the rotation of the earth?

    Yes. There's some excellent freeware just for this purpose,
    http://www.astronomie.be/registax/

    If you use CHDK's option of turning dark-frame-subtraction noise-reduction "OFF"
    in the RAW options (this also effects JPG-only modes), then even 15-second
    shutter speeds are barely interrupted by a little more than 1 second between
    exposures. Your star-trails will be seamless and not dotted or dashed lines as
    what happens when using other cameras that require long interruptions between
    exposures for their mandatory dark-frame noise-reduction routines. (Canon's
    normal pre-CHDK condition.) The only thing you'll have to do is make sure that
    you do your own dark-frame subtraction using your own dark-frame exposure. If
    your sensor is consistent this won't be a problem, using just one reference
    frame for the night, or 2, one at the beginning and one at the end just to be
    sure. If it shows more hot-pixels or noise as it warms up from extended use then
    it'll work best on a cool night. Or you'll have to momentarily interrupt the
    intervalometer sequence every now and then using the "hat trick" technique of
    blocking out the lens manually to obtain a dark-frame every 5 to 10 minutes or
    so. I recently took about 20 minutes of lightning shots and only needed one
    dark-frame for that whole time to effectively clean up all 20-minutes worth of
    those 15-second exposure frames.

    When the camera is used on an equatorial tracking mount you should also have no
    problems imaging larger nebulae and galaxies of some of the most faint
    magnitudes by taking hours-long exposures this way, using nothing more than the
    camera's own zoom lens, no other add-ons or telescope needed. Though a
    tele-extender lens will vastly increase the number of subjects that will fill
    out your FOV. Subjects like the Orion Nebula, the North American Nebula (3
    degrees wide), the Veil Nebula in Cygnus, The Andromeda Galaxy (spanning over 3
    degrees, the moon being only half a degree for reference), M101, the Pinwheel
    Galaxy in Ursa Major (~1/2 degree dia.) and many others should make for some
    excellent astrophotography subjects using CHDK's intervalometer scripts.
    LyleBeardon, Oct 1, 2007
  19. Scott en Aztlán

    Paul Furman Guest

    wrote:

    > On Oct 1, 4:35 am, Scott in SoCal <> wrote:
    >
    >>Just wanted to thank everybody for their help and advice. I ended up
    >>buying a Canon S3-IS and, using the CHDK firmware and the Ultimate
    >>Intervalometer script, I got some encouraging results on my first
    >>attempt:
    >>
    >>http://slothkills.blip.tv/file/404039/

    > This looks great to me. Could you photograph star trails like this?
    > I.e. set the intervalometer script up to take photos of the night sky,
    > download the images to a computer, and then stack them? With or
    > without motion compensation for the rotation of the earth?

    Not an attempt at astronomy, just an example of long exposure time
    lapse. The first two sequences in this series including the moon use 30
    second exposures, no dark frame subtraction... it ate up my batteries
    though so I later boosted ISO & went for shorter exposures.
    Stills:
    <http://edgehill.net/California/Bay-Area/Marin/9-26-07-kirby-cove/full-set/pg1pc2>
    3MV movie:
    <http://edgehill.net/1/California/Bay-Area/Marin/2007-09-26-kirby-cove/movie/kirby-cove-9-2007-sm.wmv>