What's a good brand and model DVD burner?

Discussion in 'DVD Video' started by DaveJohnson12@nomail., Aug 14, 2007.

  1. I'll be using it mostly for data files. I might want to rip DVDs too.
    I haven't seen this question asked for a while. Thanks.

    DaveJohnson12@nomail., Aug 14, 2007

  2. DaveJohnson12@nomail.

    BigJim Guest

    I like NEC but what ever you order make sure you get what your system uses,
    either sata or IDE.

    BigJim, Aug 14, 2007

  3. DaveJohnson12@nomail.

    nick Guest

    BigJim wrote:
    > I like NEC but what ever you order make sure you get what your system uses,
    > either sata or IDE.

    Over the past few years I have had trouble reading some discs with NEC
    drives and have gradually replaced them all with Lite-On, which seem
    to read anything.

    nick

    nick, Aug 14, 2007
  4. Per DaveJohnson12@nomail.:
    >I'll be using it mostly for data files. I might want to rip DVDs too.
    >I haven't seen this question asked for a while. Thanks.

    I've been using MadDog Multimedia for several years.

    Bought the first one just for grins because of the name.

    Bought 3 more because they work and don't give me any problems at
    all.
    --
    PeteCresswell

    (PeteCresswell), Aug 14, 2007
  5. On Tue, 14 Aug 2007 00:38:14 -0400, "BigJim" <> wrote:

    >I like NEC but what ever you order make sure you get what your system uses,
    >either sata or IDE.

    Thanks for the advice. I think NEC built something into some of their burners
    that made them rip very slowly so I've been avoiding them. I've also heard good
    things about them.

    DaveJohnson12@nomail., Aug 15, 2007
  6. On Tue, 14 Aug 2007 11:17:19 GMT, nick <> wrote:

    >BigJim wrote:
    >> I like NEC but what ever you order make sure you get what your system uses,
    >> either sata or IDE.

    >Over the past few years I have had trouble reading some discs with NEC
    >drives and have gradually replaced them all with Lite-On, which seem
    >to read anything.
    >
    >nick

    Thanks, I'll probably go with Light On I guess or maybe an LG though I haven't
    had much success with Korean (LG) products. They tend to be not as good as
    products from Japanese companies from what I've seen.

    DaveJohnson12@nomail., Aug 15, 2007
  7. On Tue, 14 Aug 2007 16:06:50 -0400, "(PeteCresswell)" <> wrote:

    >Per DaveJohnson12@nomail.:
    >>I'll be using it mostly for data files. I might want to rip DVDs too.
    >>I haven't seen this question asked for a while. Thanks.

    >I've been using MadDog Multimedia for several years.

    >Bought the first one just for grins because of the name.
    >
    >Bought 3 more because they work and don't give me any problems at
    >all.

    Cool. I've never heard of that brand. Thanks.

    DaveJohnson12@nomail., Aug 15, 2007
  8. DaveJohnson12@nomail.

    Linea Recta Guest

    <DaveJohnson12@nomail.> schreef in bericht
    > On Tue, 14 Aug 2007 11:17:19 GMT, nick <> wrote:
    >
    > >BigJim wrote:
    > >> I like NEC but what ever you order make sure you get what your system

    uses,
    > >> either sata or IDE.

    > >Over the past few years I have had trouble reading some discs with NEC
    > >drives and have gradually replaced them all with Lite-On, which seem
    > >to read anything.
    > >
    > >nick

    > Thanks, I'll probably go with Light On I guess or maybe an LG though I

    haven't
    > had much success with Korean (LG) products. They tend to be not as good as
    > products from Japanese companies from what I've seen.

    I have an LG multiburber in the PC and I have an LG standalone HDD/DVD
    recorder. Both of them work fine here.

    --
    regards,

    |\ /|
    | \/ |@rk
    \../
    \/os

    Linea Recta, Aug 21, 2007
  9. In article <46cac578$0$229$4all.nl>, Linea Recta
    <> wrote:

    > <DaveJohnson12@nomail.> schreef in bericht

    > uses,
    > > >
    > > >Over the past few years I have had trouble reading some discs with NEC
    > > >drives and have gradually replaced them all with Lite-On, which seem
    > > >to read anything.
    > > >
    > > >nick

    > > Thanks, I'll probably go with Light On I guess or maybe an LG though I

    > haven't
    > > had much success with Korean (LG) products. They tend to be not as good as
    > > products from Japanese companies from what I've seen.

    > I have an LG multiburber in the PC and I have an LG standalone HDD/DVD
    > recorder. Both of them work fine here.

    I've had good luck with Pioneer CD/DVD burners. The best I've ever had
    is a Pioneer DVR-109D and the latest is a DVR-112D.

    Heinrich Galland, Aug 21, 2007
  10. DaveJohnson12@nomail.

    Guest

    On Tue, 21 Aug 2007 13:15:34 -0500, Heinrich Galland
    <> wrote:

    >In article <46cac578$0$229$4all.nl>, Linea Recta
    ><> wrote:
    >
    >> <DaveJohnson12@nomail.> schreef in bericht

    system
    >> uses,

    NEC

    seem

    >> > Thanks, I'll probably go with Light On I guess or maybe an LG

    though I
    >> haven't
    >> > had much success with Korean (LG) products. They tend to be not as

    good as
    >> > products from Japanese companies from what I've seen.

    >> I have an LG multiburber in the PC and I have an LG standalone

    HDD/DVD
    >> recorder. Both of them work fine here.

    >I've had good luck with Pioneer CD/DVD burners. The best I've ever had
    >is a Pioneer DVR-109D and the latest is a DVR-112D.

    I`ve used Pioneer for 5 years. the dvr110s are working fine since
    installing in Dec 06.
    Regards
    buddy b

    , Aug 22, 2007
  11. On Tue, 21 Aug 2007 12:58:33 +0200, "Linea Recta" <> wrote:

    ><DaveJohnson12@nomail.> schreef in bericht

    >uses,
    >> >
    >> >Over the past few years I have had trouble reading some discs with NEC
    >> >drives and have gradually replaced them all with Lite-On, which seem
    >> >to read anything.
    >> >
    >> >nick

    >> Thanks, I'll probably go with Light On I guess or maybe an LG though I

    >haven't
    >> had much success with Korean (LG) products. They tend to be not as good as
    >> products from Japanese companies from what I've seen.

    >I have an LG multiburber in the PC and I have an LG standalone HDD/DVD
    >recorder. Both of them work fine here.

    Thanks. I decided on an LG. The reviews from people who bought DVD burners were
    a little better than the reviews for Lite On.

    DaveJohnson12@nomail., Aug 25, 2007
  12. DaveJohnson12@nomail.

    wrote:

    > ><DaveJohnson12@nomail.> schreef in bericht

    system
    > >uses,

    > >> Thanks, I'll probably go with Light On I guess or maybe an LG though I

    > >haven't
    > >> had much success with Korean (LG) products. They tend to be not as good

    as
    > >> products from Japanese companies from what I've seen.

    > >I have an LG multiburber in the PC and I have an LG standalone HDD/DVD
    > >recorder. Both of them work fine here.

    > Thanks. I decided on an LG. The reviews from people who bought DVD burners

    were
    > a little better than the reviews for Lite On.

    I wish you all the best with the new device. I think as a whole LG is great
    value for the money.
    BTW, I have done some firmware updates already (on both).

    --
    regards,

    |\ /|
    | \/ |@rk
    \../
    \/os

    Linea Recta, Aug 25, 2007
  13. DaveJohnson12@nomail.

    def456 Guest

    "Linea Recta" <> wrote in message
    > <DaveJohnson12@nomail.> schreef in bericht
    >> On Tue, 21 Aug 2007 12:58:33 +0200, "Linea Recta" <>

    > wrote:
    >>
    >> ><DaveJohnson12@nomail.> schreef in bericht

    > system
    >> >uses,

    >> >haven't

    > as
    >> >

    >> >I have an LG multiburber in the PC and I have an LG standalone HDD/DVD
    >> >recorder. Both of them work fine here.

    >> Thanks. I decided on an LG. The reviews from people who bought DVD
    >> burners

    > were
    >> a little better than the reviews for Lite On.

    > I wish you all the best with the new device. I think as a whole LG is
    > great
    > value for the money.
    > BTW, I have done some firmware updates already (on both).

    I have both a Lite-On and LG installed as master/slave, and haven't had any
    problems ripping/burning with either... The Lite-On is faster for
    ripping/verifying. LG has a better reputation for burning, but it's slower
    for ripping/verifying out of the box. You can make it faster for
    ripping/verifying if you want to risk a speed increase MCSE patch at
    http://club.cdfreaks.com/showthread.php?t=133858
    I did it for mine and it's now about as fast as the Lite-On. I must flip a
    coin to decide which one to use!?

    def456, Aug 25, 2007
  14. On Sat, 25 Aug 2007 19:18:07 +0200, "Linea Recta" <> wrote:

    ><DaveJohnson12@nomail.> schreef in bericht
    >> On Tue, 21 Aug 2007 12:58:33 +0200, "Linea Recta" <>

    >wrote:
    >>
    >> ><DaveJohnson12@nomail.> schreef in bericht

    >system
    >> >uses,

    >> >haven't

    >as
    >> >

    >> >I have an LG multiburber in the PC and I have an LG standalone HDD/DVD
    >> >recorder. Both of them work fine here.

    >> Thanks. I decided on an LG. The reviews from people who bought DVD burners

    >were
    >> a little better than the reviews for Lite On.

    >I wish you all the best with the new device. I think as a whole LG is great
    >value for the money.
    >BTW, I have done some firmware updates already (on both).

    Thank you. Why are firmware updates needed?

    DaveJohnson12@nomail., Aug 26, 2007
  15. On Sat, 25 Aug 2007 16:43:08 -0500, "def456" <> wrote:

    >"Linea Recta" <> wrote in message
    >> <DaveJohnson12@nomail.> schreef in bericht

    >> system

    >> as

    >>> Thanks. I decided on an LG. The reviews from people who bought DVD
    >>> burners

    >> were
    >>> a little better than the reviews for Lite On.

    >> I wish you all the best with the new device. I think as a whole LG is
    >> great
    >> value for the money.
    >> BTW, I have done some firmware updates already (on both).

    >I have both a Lite-On and LG installed as master/slave, and haven't had any
    >problems ripping/burning with either... The Lite-On is faster for
    >ripping/verifying. LG has a better reputation for burning, but it's slower
    >for ripping/verifying out of the box. You can make it faster for
    >ripping/verifying if you want to risk a speed increase MCSE patch at
    >http://club.cdfreaks.com/showthread.php?t=133858
    >I did it for mine and it's now about as fast as the Lite-On. I must flip a
    >coin to decide which one to use!?

    Do the LG's all have riplock and only rip at something like 2x or are they just
    somewhat slower than the Lite On? The one I got is the GSA-H44LK BK LS 18x.
    I didn't see any H44's on the list at cdfreaks. Thank you.

    DaveJohnson12@nomail., Aug 26, 2007
  16. DaveJohnson12@nomail.

    def456 Guest

    > On Sat, 25 Aug 2007 16:43:08 -0500, "def456" <> wrote:
    >
    >>"Linea Recta" <> wrote in message
    >>> <DaveJohnson12@nomail.> schreef in bericht

    >>> system

    >>> as

    >>> were
    >>>

    >>> I wish you all the best with the new device. I think as a whole LG is
    >>> great
    >>> value for the money.
    >>> BTW, I have done some firmware updates already (on both).

    >>I have both a Lite-On and LG installed as master/slave, and haven't had
    >>any
    >>problems ripping/burning with either... The Lite-On is faster for
    >>ripping/verifying. LG has a better reputation for burning, but it's slower
    >>for ripping/verifying out of the box. You can make it faster for
    >>ripping/verifying if you want to risk a speed increase MCSE patch at
    >>http://club.cdfreaks.com/showthread.php?t=133858
    >>I did it for mine and it's now about as fast as the Lite-On. I must flip a
    >>coin to decide which one to use!?

    > Do the LG's all have riplock and only rip at something like 2x or are they
    > just
    > somewhat slower than the Lite On? The one I got is the GSA-H44LK BK LS
    > 18x.
    > I didn't see any H44's on the list at cdfreaks. Thank you.

    The LG's all have riplock, as far as I know, but I'm not an expert. I have a
    new GSA-H55N which was slower out of the box than my GSA-4167B which I
    bought about 18 months ago. So it looks like they're getting slower and
    slower, but not as slow as 2x in my experience. A rule of thumb might be
    that riplock doubles or triples the time needed to rip/verify a disc. For
    example when verifying a single layer 16x Taiyo Yuden disc after burning a
    movie with ImgBurn, the original H55N got up to about 6x speed maximum,
    while after the MCSE patch it got up to about 15x speed maximum. That's
    typical of rips too, they generally go about twice or three times as fast.

    There have been recent updates to MCSE and your H44L is on the list at
    http://ala42.cdfreaks.com/MCSE/. You can also download the latest MCSE,
    unzip, and look at the changelog. It looks like the H44 was added in April
    2007, maybe with subsequent improvements. You might start reading the big
    long MCSE thread at about...
    http://club.cdfreaks.com/showthread.php?t=133858&page=27&pp=25
    It's pretty easy if you don't have to go through a .bin file stage, like I
    did with the H55N!? But please note there's a risk, so you have to be sure
    and do it right, or it could kill the drive.

    def456, Aug 26, 2007
  17. On Sat, 25 Aug 2007 19:22:06 -0500, "def456" <> wrote:

    ><DaveJohnson12@nomail.> wrote in message
    >> On Sat, 25 Aug 2007 16:43:08 -0500, "def456" <> wrote:
    >>
    >>>"Linea Recta" <> wrote in message

    >>>I have both a Lite-On and LG installed as master/slave, and haven't had
    >>>any
    >>>problems ripping/burning with either... The Lite-On is faster for
    >>>ripping/verifying. LG has a better reputation for burning, but it's slower
    >>>for ripping/verifying out of the box. You can make it faster for
    >>>ripping/verifying if you want to risk a speed increase MCSE patch at
    >>>http://club.cdfreaks.com/showthread.php?t=133858
    >>>I did it for mine and it's now about as fast as the Lite-On. I must flip a
    >>>coin to decide which one to use!?

    >> Do the LG's all have riplock and only rip at something like 2x or are they
    >> just
    >> somewhat slower than the Lite On? The one I got is the GSA-H44LK BK LS
    >> 18x.
    >> I didn't see any H44's on the list at cdfreaks. Thank you.

    >The LG's all have riplock, as far as I know, but I'm not an expert. I have a
    >new GSA-H55N which was slower out of the box than my GSA-4167B which I
    >bought about 18 months ago. So it looks like they're getting slower and
    >slower, but not as slow as 2x in my experience. A rule of thumb might be
    >that riplock doubles or triples the time needed to rip/verify a disc. For
    >example when verifying a single layer 16x Taiyo Yuden disc after burning a
    >movie with ImgBurn, the original H55N got up to about 6x speed maximum,
    >while after the MCSE patch it got up to about 15x speed maximum. That's
    >typical of rips too, they generally go about twice or three times as fast.

    Thanks for the info. Now I have a better idea of what to expect.
    I don't really see the logic in making drives that will rip at around 6x. It
    makes it inconvenient. I don't know how that helps the movie industry.

    >There have been recent updates to MCSE and your H44L is on the list at
    >http://ala42.cdfreaks.com/MCSE/. You can also download the latest MCSE,
    >unzip, and look at the changelog. It looks like the H44 was added in April
    >2007, maybe with subsequent improvements. You might start reading the big
    >long MCSE thread at about...
    >http://club.cdfreaks.com/showthread.php?t=133858&page=27&pp=25
    >It's pretty easy if you don't have to go through a .bin file stage, like I
    >did with the H55N!? But please note there's a risk, so you have to be sure
    >and do it right, or it could kill the drive.

    Thanks for letting me know that and thanks for the detailed information and
    links. I'll have to make sure I know what I'm doing before I try the MCSE

    DaveJohnson12@nomail., Aug 26, 2007
  18. DaveJohnson12@nomail.

    Linea Recta Guest

    "def456" <> schreef in bericht
    > "Linea Recta" <> wrote in message
    > > <DaveJohnson12@nomail.> schreef in bericht
    > >> On Tue, 21 Aug 2007 12:58:33 +0200, "Linea Recta"

    <>

    > > system

    seem

    > > as

    > >> Thanks. I decided on an LG. The reviews from people who bought DVD
    > >> burners

    > > were
    > >> a little better than the reviews for Lite On.

    > > I wish you all the best with the new device. I think as a whole LG is
    > > great
    > > value for the money.
    > > BTW, I have done some firmware updates already (on both).

    > I have both a Lite-On and LG installed as master/slave, and haven't had

    any
    > problems ripping/burning with either... The Lite-On is faster for
    > ripping/verifying. LG has a better reputation for burning, but it's slower
    > for ripping/verifying out of the box. You can make it faster for
    > ripping/verifying if you want to risk a speed increase MCSE patch at
    > http://club.cdfreaks.com/showthread.php?t=133858
    > I did it for mine and it's now about as fast as the Lite-On. I must flip a
    > coin to decide which one to use!?

    Well, thats nice. But to be honest I'm not in the least interested in
    gaining a few secs. speed. After all it ain't a speed contest. I think
    things like burning realiable, error free and durable results are much more
    important.

    --
    regards,

    |\ /|
    | \/ |@rk
    \../
    \/os

    Linea Recta, Aug 26, 2007
  19. DaveJohnson12@nomail.

    wrote:

    > ><DaveJohnson12@nomail.> schreef in bericht
    > >> On Tue, 21 Aug 2007 12:58:33 +0200, "Linea Recta"

    <>

    > >system

    NEC

    seem

    good
    > >as

    > >> Thanks. I decided on an LG. The reviews from people who bought DVD

    burners
    > >were
    > >> a little better than the reviews for Lite On.

    > >I wish you all the best with the new device. I think as a whole LG is

    great
    > >value for the money.
    > >BTW, I have done some firmware updates already (on both).

    > Thank you. Why are firmware updates needed?

    Don't know in detail, but I assume that potential problems were solved.

    --
    regards,

    |\ /|
    | \/ |@rk
    \../
    \/os

    Linea Recta, Aug 26, 2007
  20. DaveJohnson12@nomail.

    def456 Guest

    "Linea Recta" <> wrote in message
    [snip]
    > Well, thats nice. But to be honest I'm not in the least interested in
    > gaining a few secs. speed. After all it ain't a speed contest. I think
    > things like burning realiable, error free and durable results are much
    > more
    > important.

    If I understand correctly, the MCSE patch doesn't affect burn speed or
    quality, only the read speed with video discs.

    And it's more than a few seconds difference... My LG GSA-H55N (firmware
    version 1.02, patched with MCSE) rips & decodes (with DVD Shrink 3.2 or DVD
    Fab HD Decrypter, for example) a DVD SL 4.7G movie in less than 5 minutes
    and a DL 8.5G movie in about 10-12 minutes. There's a comparable speedup
    during the verify stage after a burn. How does that compare with the speeds
    you're getting? It makes the LG about the same speed as a Lite-On, overall.
    Apparently Lite-On's don't have riplock, although there's a MCSE patch
    available for them too.

    The MCSE patch does more than remove riplock. It also allows you modify the
    burn strategy for a particular brand of disc. For example the H55N will only
    burn Verbatim 2.4x-6x DVD+R DL discs (#95310) at 4x speed. If you want to
    try a burn at 2.4x or 6x (or 1x, or 8x, or whatever), you can modify the
    firmware accordingly with MCSE.

    def456, Aug 26, 2007