What's a digital camera???

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Gary Edstrom, Jun 2, 2008.

  1. Gary Edstrom

    Gary Edstrom Guest

    It's hard to believe that with digital cameras having been on the market
    for over 10 years now, that there are STILL some people who have never
    heard of them or know what they are!

    I'm not talking about the elderly who might not be interested in
    learning something new, or the poor who might not be able to afford it,
    but common, everyday, working people like you and me that still don't
    know that such a thing exists.

    I ran into such a couple yesterday at church as I was displaying prints
    from my recent Durango, Colorado trip. They couldn't conceive of
    anything that didn't use film. All they how to do is to take the film
    down to their local K-Mart to have the film developed and printed.

    I tried to explain the concept to them as simply as I could, but I think
    that it went way over their head. What made it even harder to explain
    was the fact that they have never had a personal computer in their home
    and seem to have no interest in ever getting one.

    Gary

    Gary Edstrom, Jun 2, 2008

  2. Gary Edstrom

    Bob Williams Guest

    Gary Edstrom wrote:
    > It's hard to believe that with digital cameras having been on the market
    > for over 10 years now, that there are STILL some people who have never
    > heard of them or know what they are!
    >
    > I'm not talking about the elderly who might not be interested in
    > learning something new, or the poor who might not be able to afford it,
    > but common, everyday, working people like you and me that still don't
    > know that such a thing exists.
    >
    > I ran into such a couple yesterday at church as I was displaying prints
    > from my recent Durango, Colorado trip. They couldn't conceive of
    > anything that didn't use film. All they how to do is to take the film
    > down to their local K-Mart to have the film developed and printed.
    >
    > I tried to explain the concept to them as simply as I could, but I think
    > that it went way over their head. What made it even harder to explain
    > was the fact that they have never had a personal computer in their home
    > and seem to have no interest in ever getting one.
    >
    > Gary

    That's really Spooky......There are lots more like them, too.
    And their vote counts as much as yours.
    Bob Williams

    Bob Williams, Jun 2, 2008

  3. Gary Edstrom

    tomm42 Guest

    On Jun 2, 3:55 pm, Gary Edstrom <> wrote:
    > It's hard to believe that with digital cameras having been on the market
    > for over 10 years now, that there are STILL some people who have never
    > heard of them or know what they are!
    >
    > I'm not talking about the elderly who might not be interested in
    > learning something new, or the poor who might not be able to afford it,
    > but common, everyday, working people like you and me that still don't
    > know that such a thing exists.
    >
    > I ran into such a couple yesterday at church as I was displaying prints
    > from my recent Durango, Colorado trip. They couldn't conceive of
    > anything that didn't use film. All they how to do is to take the film
    > down to their local K-Mart to have the film developed and printed.
    >
    > I tried to explain the concept to them as simply as I could, but I think
    > that it went way over their head. What made it even harder to explain
    > was the fact that they have never had a personal computer in their home
    > and seem to have no interest in ever getting one.
    >
    > Gary

    Then there was a hospital MD resident who I had worked with, came into
    my office and said " I was working with this doctor yesterday and he
    showed me this film that had cardboard and plastic around it, is this
    what you call slides? How did you ever put together a talk from
    those?"

    Tom

    tomm42, Jun 3, 2008
  4. Gary Edstrom <> wrote:
    >I ran into such a couple yesterday at church

    Considering where you met them...

    >I tried to explain the concept to them as simply as I could, but I think
    >that it went way over their head. What made it even harder to explain
    >was the fact that they have never had a personal computer in their home
    >and seem to have no interest in ever getting one.

    .... I am not surprised at all about this.

    jue

    Jürgen Exner, Jun 3, 2008
  5. Gary Edstrom

    Gary Edstrom Guest

    On Tue, 03 Jun 2008 12:45:06 GMT, Jürgen Exner <>
    wrote:

    >Gary Edstrom <> wrote:
    >>I ran into such a couple yesterday at church

    >Considering where you met them...
    >
    >... I am not surprised at all about this.

    Is that the most intelligent response you can come up with?

    Gary Edstrom, Jun 4, 2008
  6. Gary Edstrom

    m II Guest

    Bob Williams wrote:

    > That's really Spooky......There are lots more like them, too.
    > And their vote counts as much as yours.

    I'd be a lot more worried about the ones who can't read.

    mike

    --
    Due to the insane amount of spam and garbage, this filter
    blocks all postings from Gmail, Google Mail and Google Groups.

    http://improve-usenet.org/

    m II, Jun 4, 2008
  7. Alan Browne <> wrote:
    > Gary Edstrom wrote:

    >> I tried to explain the concept to them as simply as I could, but I think
    >> that it went way over their head.

    > Sounds like a BS story to me.

    Depends on the point the OP was trying to make. He may have been
    lamenting his lack of explanatory skills. There are plenty of experts
    who are useless at explaining stuff to non-experts. I remember once
    being asked by a kid to explain something technical to him.

    "Why don't you ask Harry?" I asked. "He knows far more about that kind
    of thing than me."

    "But if you ask him a question he won't give you an answer until he's
    thought one up that's so complicated he can't even understand it
    himself," said the kid.

    Which was in fact a very good description of the way Harry "explained"
    things.

    --
    Chris Malcolm DoD #205
    [http://www.dai.ed.ac.uk/homes/cam/]

    Chris Malcolm, Jun 5, 2008
  8. Gary Edstrom

    Spamm Trappe Guest

    On Thu, 05 Jun 2008 04:41:29 -0500, Ron Hunter wrote:

    > He probably works for either IBM or Microsoft....

    Or, the IRS.

    Spamm Trappe, Jun 5, 2008
  9. ? "Gary Edstrom" <> ?????? ??? ??????
    > It's hard to believe that with digital cameras having been on the market
    > for over 10 years now, that there are STILL some people who have never
    > heard of them or know what they are!
    >
    > I'm not talking about the elderly who might not be interested in
    > learning something new, or the poor who might not be able to afford it,
    > but common, everyday, working people like you and me that still don't
    > know that such a thing exists.
    >
    > I ran into such a couple yesterday at church as I was displaying prints
    > from my recent Durango, Colorado trip. They couldn't conceive of
    > anything that didn't use film. All they how to do is to take the film
    > down to their local K-Mart to have the film developed and printed.
    >
    > I tried to explain the concept to them as simply as I could, but I think
    > that it went way over their head. What made it even harder to explain
    > was the fact that they have never had a personal computer in their home
    > and seem to have no interest in ever getting one.

    Maybe you should place the question differently? They don' t *understand*
    the great advantage of using digital cameras, they think of them as modern
    gadgets that use flasch chips instead of film. A phtographer told me that
    there are people who have digital cameras without a computer, take their
    cards to the photo lab as they would with a film , and then just delete the
    files from the card. Or, maybe understand that a Pentium II is utterly
    obsolete? A friend of mine, who served in Rhodes at the same time with me,
    and studied business administration in Kozani, and is from Iraklion, too,
    tried to ressurect his ancient PII machine, against all hope, when I told
    him a hundred times it was good only for the trash bin. He took it to a
    technician, who put a new (PCI) graph card, wtih a DVI output! Of course,
    the computer gave the spirit after only a week. So much for modern
    technology.

    --
    Tzortzakakis Dimitrios
    major in electrical engineering

    Tzortzakakis Dimitrios, Jun 5, 2008
  10. Gary Edstrom

    Mark Sieving Guest

    On Jun 5, 9:30 am, "Tzortzakakis Dimitrios" <> wrote:

    > Or, maybe understand that a Pentium II is utterly
    > obsolete?

    The computers on the Mars Rovers (which are still returning data after
    four years on the surface of Mars) use 80286 processors, which are
    considerably older than a Pentium II. It all depends on what you want
    to do with the computer.

    Mark Sieving, Jun 5, 2008
  11. Gary Edstrom

    PDM Guest

    > Many years ago I came to this conclusion: If a person cannot explain
    > his/her work (hobby, anything else) in terms that an intelligent layperson
    > can understand, then he/she doesn't really have a good understanding of
    > it. I started reading Scientific American back around 56 or 57 years ago,
    > when its purpose was to convey knowledge of current science in language
    > that people in other fields would be able to grasp. I had to stop reading
    > it about 30 years ago because of time constraints, so I can't say for sure
    > that this is still its mission, but I hope it is. Incidentally, note the
    > use of "intelligent": there are very many people who don't fall into that
    > category.
    > Allen

    Related to this: A few years ago a friend who works for Canon was asked the
    question, "How big is a pixel? At first he thought that it was such an
    obvious answer he found it funny. However, after discussing it with me we
    both came to the conclusion that maybe it was not and wondered how many
    people involved in selling digital equipment would be able to answer it. We
    asked 40 staff at Jessops stores (a main UK photography retailer) and PC
    World (another main retailer of camera and computer equipment).

    The results surprised us: Only one person got it right. Most couldn't answer
    the question at all, one gave a very long scientific answer that was wrong
    anyway, one took a pencil and made dots of various sizes on a piece of
    paper, saying "no it's not this big" before trying to make smaller and
    smaller dots. So if these people don't know the obvious answer to a simple
    question then maybe it's not surprising that there are people out there who
    don't know what a digicam is.

    So can you answer the question: How big is a pixel?

    PDM

    PDM, Jun 6, 2008
  12. Gary Edstrom

    dj_nme Guest

    savvo wrote:
    > On 2008-06-06, PDM <pdcm99minus> wrote:
    >>> Many years ago I came to this conclusion: If a person cannot explain
    >>> his/her work (hobby, anything else) in terms that an intelligent layperson
    >>> can understand, then he/she doesn't really have a good understanding of
    >>> it.

    >> [ ... ]
    >> So can you answer the question: How big is a pixel?

    > If you tell me which pixel you're asking about. Otherwise the question
    > is exactly equal to "how long is a piece of string?"

    That's pretty much the problem with this sort of question.

    Does the questioner mean to ask about capture pixels or display pixels?
    With capture pixels, I'd suggest looking at the spec sheet for the
    sensor in the camera you're asking about.
    For display pixels, I'd suggest looking up the "dot pitch" (dpi) for the
    monitor in it's manual (or the spec sheet on the manufacturer's website,
    if it's on there), dividing 1 by the dpi and the result is the pixel
    size in inches.

    "What sort of string?" is the question that must be answered first.

    dj_nme, Jun 6, 2008
  13. ? "Mark Sieving" <> ?????? ??? ??????
    On Jun 5, 9:30 am, "Tzortzakakis Dimitrios" <> wrote:

    > Or, maybe understand that a Pentium II is utterly
    > obsolete?

    The computers on the Mars Rovers (which are still returning data after
    four years on the surface of Mars) use 80286 processors, which are
    considerably older than a Pentium II. It all depends on what you want
    to do with the computer.
    <end quote>
    Well, the usual:surf in the internet, upload digital photos. burn dvds from
    mini DV camcorder, scan photos, print docs and photos...
    NB.:The processor would be the last part of the computer to give the ghost,
    other parts as mobo, graph card and/or hard drive would be long gone, and as
    I read in a german article ...."although individual components might still
    work, the compound is long useless"
    The problem is, that the PII no matter what, is not working. Out of order.
    The peripherals, though, all worked fine on my old win2k machine which I
    gave my friend... An agfa scanner, an epson printer, a diamond dialup modem,
    he needs only a card reader (I think SD) and a firewire card, for the mini
    DV camcorder. He's a taxi driver, and he got credit for the cab (brand-new)
    and the taxi's license, and he got married, too, so his budget is a bit
    tight.....

    Tzortzakakis Dimitrios, Jun 6, 2008
  14. ? "savvo" <> ?????? ??? ??????
    > On 2008-06-06, PDM <pdcm99minus> wrote:
    >>> Many years ago I came to this conclusion: If a person cannot explain
    >>> his/her work (hobby, anything else) in terms that an intelligent
    >>> layperson
    >>> can understand, then he/she doesn't really have a good understanding of
    >>> it.

    >> [ ... ]
    >> So can you answer the question: How big is a pixel?

    > If you tell me which pixel you're asking about. Otherwise the question
    > is exactly equal to "how long is a piece of string?"

    Or how many angels can dance on a needle's tip?

    Tzortzakakis Dimitrios, Jun 6, 2008
  15. Gary Edstrom

    PDM Guest

    "Tzortzakakis Dimitrios" <> wrote in message

    > ? "savvo" <> ?????? ??? ??????
    >>> [ ... ]
    >>> So can you answer the question: How big is a pixel?

    >> If you tell me which pixel you're asking about. Otherwise the question
    >> is exactly equal to "how long is a piece of string?"
    >>

    > Or how many angels can dance on a needle's tip?

    Come on guys; you can do better than this; it's one simple sentence.

    PDM

    PDM, Jun 6, 2008
  16. "PDM" <pdcm99minus this > wrote:
    >So can you answer the question: How big is a pixel?

    This question is about as meaningful as how large is a car. It is easy
    to answer for a specific make and model, but impossible to answer
    accurately in general.

    jue

    Jürgen Exner, Jun 6, 2008
  17. "PDM" <pdcm99minus this > wrote:

    >Come on guys; you can do better than this; it's one simple sentence.

    If -and that is a big if- you are talking about digital camera sensors
    then it is physical dimensions of the sensor (length x width) divided by
    pixel number of the sensor.

    Just to pick an example for the D60 this would be
    23.6mm x 15.8mm / (10.8x10^6)
    or about 34 square micrometers

    jue

    Jürgen Exner, Jun 6, 2008
  18. dj_nme wrote:

    > savvo wrote:
    >>> [ ... ]
    >>> So can you answer the question: How big is a pixel?

    >> If you tell me which pixel you're asking about. Otherwise the question
    >> is exactly equal to "how long is a piece of string?"

    > That's pretty much the problem with this sort of question.
    >
    > Does the questioner mean to ask about capture pixels or display pixels?
    > With capture pixels, I'd suggest looking at the spec sheet for the sensor
    > in the camera you're asking about. For display pixels, I'd suggest looking
    > up the "dot pitch" (dpi) for the monitor in it's manual (or the spec sheet
    > on the manufacturer's website, if it's on there), dividing 1 by the dpi
    > and the result is the pixel size in inches.
    >
    > "What sort of string?" is the question that must be answered first.

    Digital string, in this context. :)

    --
    Blinky
    Killing all posts from Google Groups

    Blinky the Shark, Jun 7, 2008
  19. Gary Edstrom

    PDM Guest

    "Jim Townsend" <> wrote in message
    > PDM wrote:
    >
    >> So can you answer the question: How big is a pixel?

    > It's half the size of 9.76 DPI (plus or minus one dot).

    Of course it's a "how long is a piece of string" question. But why did 39
    out of 40 sales staff fail to spot it? And just telling a newbie this would
    fail to convey the real meaning. I'm glad to see the posters on this
    usergroup are more intelligent. I've always though the people using cameras
    are more intelligent than those selling them.
    Jurgen's answer comes closest I think.

    PDM.

    PDM, Jun 7, 2008
  20. Gary Edstrom

    Gary Edstrom Guest

    On Sat, 07 Jun 2008 22:29:16 -0500, Peter <> wrote:

    >On Mon, 02 Jun 2008 12:55:07 -0700, Gary Edstrom
    ><> wrote:
    >
    >>It's hard to believe that with digital cameras having been on the market
    >>for over 10 years now, that there are STILL some people who have never
    >>heard of them or know what they are!
    >>
    >>I'm not talking about the elderly who might not be interested in
    >>learning something new, or the poor who might not be able to afford it,
    >>but common, everyday, working people like you and me that still don't
    >>know that such a thing exists.
    >>
    >>I ran into such a couple yesterday at church as I was displaying prints
    >>from my recent Durango, Colorado trip. They couldn't conceive of
    >>anything that didn't use film. All they how to do is to take the film
    >>down to their local K-Mart to have the film developed and printed.
    >>
    >>I tried to explain the concept to them as simply as I could, but I think
    >>that it went way over their head. What made it even harder to explain
    >>was the fact that they have never had a personal computer in their home
    >>and seem to have no interest in ever getting one.
    >>
    >>Gary

    >And why does this matter? Are they nice people? Isn't that what
    >really matters? Not everybody needs (much less wants the
    >latest/greatest technology!)

    And when did I say that it mattered? I am simply surprised that after
    over 10 years on the market, that someone has not at least heard of
    digital cameras. I could care less if someone simply doesn't want to
    use them.

    Gary

    Gary Edstrom, Jun 8, 2008