  1. For music and games. What's a good buy under $100? Under $200?

    TIA,
    Jamie Kahn Genet

    Jamie Kahn Genet, Mar 8, 2007

  2. Andrew Lambert, Mar 8, 2007

  3. Jamie Kahn Genet

    Mathew Good Guest

    On Thu, 8 Mar 2007 15:09:02 +1300, (Jamie Kahn Genet) wrote:

    >For music and games. What's a good buy under $100? Under $200?
    >
    >TIA,
    > Jamie Kahn Genet

    Go for Logitech good value for the $$

    Mathew Good, Mar 8, 2007
  4. Jamie Kahn Genet

    Dave Taylor Guest

    Andrew Lambert <> wrote in news:45EF7226.4010309
    @stuff.stuff:

    > Jamie Kahn Genet wrote:
    >> For music and games. What's a good buy under $100? Under $200?
    >>
    >> TIA,
    >> Jamie Kahn Genet

    > Ive always like the altec lansing range:
    >
    > http://ascent.co.nz/Brand.aspx?catID=1577&catType=1

    So great specs and close to $300.00

    Maybe some Genius will do?
    Do you need THX and extra inputs? a wireless remote?

    --
    Ciao, Dave

    Dave Taylor, Mar 8, 2007
  5. Andrew Lambert <> wrote:

    > Jamie Kahn Genet wrote:
    > > For music and games. What's a good buy under $100? Under $200?
    > >
    > > TIA,
    > > Jamie Kahn Genet

    > Ive always like the altec lansing range:
    >
    > http://ascent.co.nz/Brand.aspx?catID=1577&catType=1

    Is the 121i <http://www.totallymac.com/nz/detail.lasso?product=121i&p=1>
    any good?

    Regards,
    Jamie Kahn Genet

    Jamie Kahn Genet, Mar 9, 2007
  6. Mathew Good <> wrote:

    > On Thu, 8 Mar 2007 15:09:02 +1300, (Jamie Kahn
    > Genet) wrote:
    >
    > >For music and games. What's a good buy under $100? Under $200?
    > >
    > >TIA,
    > > Jamie Kahn Genet

    > Go for Logitech good value for the $$

    I'm told the Logitech X-230 2.1 Speaker System isn't too bad. Which of
    the following stores would you buy from? Or another place?

    <http://www.activecatalog.co.nz/prod/compulink/ProductDetails.aspx?produ
    ctid=2356&catid=1374&page=1>

    <http://supercheappc.biz/site/product_info.php?cPath=1_7_96&products_id=
    1846>

    TIA,
    Jamie Kahn Genet

    Jamie Kahn Genet, Mar 9, 2007
  7. Jamie Kahn Genet

    Mathew Good Guest

    On Fri, 9 Mar 2007 15:11:53 +1300, (Jamie Kahn Genet) wrote:

    >Andrew Lambert <> wrote:
    >
    >> Jamie Kahn Genet wrote:
    >> > For music and games. What's a good buy under $100? Under $200?
    >> >
    >> > TIA,
    >> > Jamie Kahn Genet

    >> Ive always like the altec lansing range:
    >>
    >> http://ascent.co.nz/Brand.aspx?catID=1577&catType=1

    >Is the 121i <http://www.totallymac.com/nz/detail.lasso?product=121i&p=1>
    >any good?

    You are Joking, you do not get any thing, that is good for that price at all.

    I will State Again go for a Logitech system

    http://www.pp.co.nz/ProductsA.php?pp_id=SPK00025

    http://www.pp.co.nz/Speakers-21.php

    Mathew Good, Mar 9, 2007
  8. Jamie Kahn Genet

    Mathew Good Guest

    On Fri, 9 Mar 2007 15:11:54 +1300, (Jamie Kahn Genet) wrote:

    >Mathew Good <> wrote:
    >
    >> On Thu, 8 Mar 2007 15:09:02 +1300, (Jamie Kahn
    >> Genet) wrote:
    >>
    >> >For music and games. What's a good buy under $100? Under $200?
    >> >
    >> >TIA,
    >> > Jamie Kahn Genet

    >> Go for Logitech good value for the $$

    >I'm told the Logitech X-230 2.1 Speaker System isn't too bad. Which of
    >the following stores would you buy from? Or another place?
    >
    ><http://www.activecatalog.co.nz/prod/compulink/ProductDetails.aspx?produ
    >ctid=2356&catid=1374&page=1>
    >
    ><http://supercheappc.biz/site/product_info.php?cPath=1_7_96&products_id=
    >1846>
    >
    >TIA,
    > Jamie Kahn Genet

    Go do Harvey Norman a Listen to them all.

    Mathew Good, Mar 9, 2007
  9. On Mar 8, 2:09 pm, (Jamie Kahn Genet)
    wrote:
    > For music and games. What's a good buy under $100? Under $200?
    >
    > TIA,
    > Jamie Kahn Genet

    Well, I ended up picking the Logitech X-230's <http://www.logitech.com/
    index.cfm/products/details/NZ/EN,CRID=2173,CONTENTID=9066> and I've
    had nothing but trouble.

    First Supercheap Computers <http://www.supercheappc.biz/site/> tell me
    they've got one in stock for $56.48 and I can pay and they will post
    it off tomorrow. I do. They then say someone else grabbed the last
    one. I'll have to wait till next week. But the next day I'm told
    there's a problem with the next expected shipment and I'll need to
    wait till mid-APRIL! Well so much for them! (Got my refund a week
    later - this Wednesday just past as it happens - so that wasn't TOO
    bad on their part).

    I'm running out of time so I get fed up and waltz into the local Noel
    Lemmings (consumer electronics and appliance chain store) and ask them
    will they price match with another company - Compulink - out of
    Auckland (not Supercheap - price was REALLY low cause it was a
    parallel import). They agree and I get the speakers for NZD$80 (were
    $119 which is oddly $10 more than Logitech themselves give ?!? ). I
    take them home and set them up. The sound is GOD-AWFUL! :-( The bass
    is out of control even with the subwoofer turned down as far as it
    will go and iTunes' equaliser lowering the bass frequencies. Every
    slightly bassy sound is a THUD. People with deep voices in spoken word
    podcasts are DISTORTED by too much bass!!!

    I cannot believe how bad these speakers are. Even the highs sound
    flat. It's like Logitech only cared about bass at the expense of all
    else. And it's not the subwoofer (which is turned down all the way
    remember). It's the tweeters that are ruining the bass sounds! All
    they do is THUD THUD THUD every bass note. I'm returning them tomorrow
    for a full refund :-(

    Regards,
    Jamie Kahn Genet
    --
    Frog blast the vent core!

    Jamie Kahn Genet, Mar 29, 2007
  10. Jamie Kahn Genet

    Murray Symon Guest

    On Wed, 28 Mar 2007 23:34:36 -0700, Jamie Kahn Genet wrote:

    > On Mar 8, 2:09 pm, (Jamie Kahn Genet) wrote:
    >> For music and games. What's a good buy under $100? Under $200?
    >>
    >> TIA,
    >> Jamie Kahn Genet

    > Well, I ended up picking the Logitech X-230's <http://www.logitech.com/
    > index.cfm/products/details/NZ/EN,CRID=2173,CONTENTID=9066> and I've had
    > nothing but trouble.
    >
    > First Supercheap Computers <http://www.supercheappc.biz/site/> tell me
    > they've got one in stock for $56.48 and I can pay and they will post it
    > off tomorrow. I do. They then say someone else grabbed the last one. I'll
    > have to wait till next week. But the next day I'm told there's a problem
    > with the next expected shipment and I'll need to wait till mid-APRIL! Well
    > so much for them! (Got my refund a week later - this Wednesday just past
    > as it happens - so that wasn't TOO bad on their part).
    >
    > I'm running out of time so I get fed up and waltz into the local Noel
    > Lemmings (consumer electronics and appliance chain store) and ask them
    > will they price match with another company - Compulink - out of Auckland
    > (not Supercheap - price was REALLY low cause it was a parallel import).
    > They agree and I get the speakers for NZD$80 (were $119 which is oddly $10
    > more than Logitech themselves give ?!? ). I take them home and set them
    > up. The sound is GOD-AWFUL! :-( The bass is out of control even with the
    > subwoofer turned down as far as it will go and iTunes' equaliser lowering
    > the bass frequencies. Every slightly bassy sound is a THUD. People with
    > deep voices in spoken word podcasts are DISTORTED by too much bass!!!
    >
    > I cannot believe how bad these speakers are. Even the highs sound flat.
    > It's like Logitech only cared about bass at the expense of all else. And
    > it's not the subwoofer (which is turned down all the way remember). It's
    > the tweeters that are ruining the bass sounds! All they do is THUD THUD
    > THUD every bass note. I'm returning them tomorrow for a full refund :-(
    >
    > Regards,
    > Jamie Kahn Genet

    They sound terrible.
    I think a lot of PC speakers are designed more for sound effects (games &
    movies) rather than hi-fi music. Also, some people seem to equate
    "quality" with "lots of bass".

    Murray Symon, Mar 29, 2007
  11. Jamie Kahn Genet

    Richard Guest

    Jamie Kahn Genet wrote:

    > I cannot believe how bad these speakers are. Even the highs sound
    > flat. It's like Logitech only cared about bass at the expense of all
    > else. And it's not the subwoofer (which is turned down all the way
    > remember). It's the tweeters that are ruining the bass sounds! All
    > they do is THUD THUD THUD every bass note. I'm returning them tomorrow
    > for a full refund :-(

    What do you expect out of something the size of a shoebox that only cost
    $80 for everything?

    Richard, Mar 29, 2007
  12. Richard <> wrote:

    > Jamie Kahn Genet wrote:
    >
    > > I cannot believe how bad these speakers are. Even the highs sound
    > > flat. It's like Logitech only cared about bass at the expense of all
    > > else. And it's not the subwoofer (which is turned down all the way
    > > remember). It's the tweeters that are ruining the bass sounds! All
    > > they do is THUD THUD THUD every bass note. I'm returning them tomorrow
    > > for a full refund :-(

    > What do you expect out of something the size of a shoebox that only cost
    > $80 for everything?

    $110 retail, more like about three shoeboxes, and I expect half-decent
    sound. These aren't even better than the tiny speakers in my old CRT
    iMacs!

    Regards,
    Jamie Kahn Genet

    Jamie Kahn Genet, Mar 29, 2007
  13. Murray Symon <> wrote:

    > On Wed, 28 Mar 2007 23:34:36 -0700, Jamie Kahn Genet wrote:
    >
    > > On Mar 8, 2:09 pm, (Jamie Kahn Genet) wrote:
    > >> For music and games. What's a good buy under $100? Under $200?
    > >>
    > >> TIA,
    > >> Jamie Kahn Genet

    > > Well, I ended up picking the Logitech X-230's <http://www.logitech.com/
    > > index.cfm/products/details/NZ/EN,CRID=2173,CONTENTID=9066> and I've had
    > > nothing but trouble.
    > >
    > > First Supercheap Computers <http://www.supercheappc.biz/site/> tell me
    > > they've got one in stock for $56.48 and I can pay and they will post it
    > > off tomorrow. I do. They then say someone else grabbed the last one. I'll
    > > have to wait till next week. But the next day I'm told there's a problem
    > > with the next expected shipment and I'll need to wait till mid-APRIL! Well
    > > so much for them! (Got my refund a week later - this Wednesday just past
    > > as it happens - so that wasn't TOO bad on their part).
    > >
    > > I'm running out of time so I get fed up and waltz into the local Noel
    > > Lemmings (consumer electronics and appliance chain store) and ask them
    > > will they price match with another company - Compulink - out of Auckland
    > > (not Supercheap - price was REALLY low cause it was a parallel import).
    > > They agree and I get the speakers for NZD$80 (were $119 which is oddly $10
    > > more than Logitech themselves give ?!? ). I take them home and set them
    > > up. The sound is GOD-AWFUL! :-( The bass is out of control even with the
    > > subwoofer turned down as far as it will go and iTunes' equaliser lowering
    > > the bass frequencies. Every slightly bassy sound is a THUD. People with
    > > deep voices in spoken word podcasts are DISTORTED by too much bass!!!
    > >
    > > I cannot believe how bad these speakers are. Even the highs sound flat.
    > > It's like Logitech only cared about bass at the expense of all else. And
    > > it's not the subwoofer (which is turned down all the way remember). It's
    > > the tweeters that are ruining the bass sounds! All they do is THUD THUD
    > > THUD every bass note. I'm returning them tomorrow for a full refund :-(
    > >
    > > Regards,
    > > Jamie Kahn Genet

    > They sound terrible.
    > I think a lot of PC speakers are designed more for sound effects (games &
    > movies) rather than hi-fi music. Also, some people seem to equate
    > "quality" with "lots of bass".

    I reckon! Unless these are damaged they're the worst speakers for their
    price and brand I've ever used! *eyes bug out*

    Just tried them with my NDS and Mario Kart DS. Same awful overpowered
    bass, though it works out far better for a game (even kinda fun), so
    yeah - I think you're dead right!

    Regards,
    Jamie Kahn Genet

    Jamie Kahn Genet, Mar 29, 2007
  14. Jamie Kahn Genet

    -=rjh=- Guest

    Jamie Kahn Genet wrote:
    > On Mar 8, 2:09 pm, (Jamie Kahn Genet)
    > wrote:
    >> For music and games. What's a good buy under $100? Under $200?
    >>
    >> TIA,
    >> Jamie Kahn Genet

    If you have the space it is pretty hard to beat old stereo gear; you cam
    pick it up for SFA at school fairs etc.

    I've got Wharfdale XP2s, Hitachi HA-3 amp - all up cost $45.00

    -=rjh=-, Mar 29, 2007
  15. Jamie Kahn Genet

    Rob S Guest

    -=rjh=- wrote:
    > Jamie Kahn Genet wrote:
    >> On Mar 8, 2:09 pm, (Jamie Kahn Genet)
    >> wrote:
    >>> For music and games. What's a good buy under $100? Under $200?
    >>>
    >>> TIA,
    >>> Jamie Kahn Genet

    > If you have the space it is pretty hard to beat old stereo gear; you cam
    > pick it up for SFA at school fairs etc.
    >
    > I've got Wharfdale XP2s, Hitachi HA-3 amp - all up cost $45.00

    Agreed. It strikes me as rather silly that people expect the same
    quality of sound from a sub $100 set of speakers/amp combo for their pc
    as they would get from a $1000 stereo.

    I'm currently running an old 2.1 Cambridge setup which are only used for
    games, and they are quite adequate , but for listening to music or
    watching dvds I switch over to my home stereo which is
    Luxman/Mclaren/Kef all bought 2nd hand for $400 total, but would have
    cost about $3000 new. The 2.1 setup couldn't produce the sort of sound
    that the stereo produces, and I wouldn't expect them to.
    --

    Rob
    http://aspir8or.blogspot.com

    Standards are industry's way of codifying obsolescence.

    Rob S, Mar 30, 2007
  16. Rob S <Here@home> wrote:

    > -=rjh=- wrote:
    > > Jamie Kahn Genet wrote:

    > > If you have the space it is pretty hard to beat old stereo gear; you cam
    > > pick it up for SFA at school fairs etc.
    > >
    > > I've got Wharfdale XP2s, Hitachi HA-3 amp - all up cost $45.00

    > Agreed. It strikes me as rather silly that people expect the same
    > quality of sound from a sub $100 set of speakers/amp combo for their pc
    > as they would get from a $1000 stereo.
    >
    > I'm currently running an old 2.1 Cambridge setup which are only used for
    > games, and they are quite adequate , but for listening to music or
    > watching dvds I switch over to my home stereo which is
    > Luxman/Mclaren/Kef all bought 2nd hand for $400 total, but would have
    > cost about $3000 new. The 2.1 setup couldn't produce the sort of sound
    > that the stereo produces, and I wouldn't expect them to.

    I don't expect fantastic quality from $100 speakers. But I DO expect
    them to be better than the tiny built in tinny sounding ones in my old
    CRT iMacs as an example - and these Logitech ones DIDN'T. Not even
    CLOSE! The overall flatness was disappointing, but the super bassiness
    and distortion of bassy sounds was crazy! :-(

    All I want is DECENT sound. Not great, not fantastic. I'm no audiophile.
    Just decent sound in the sub $150 range. Not so much to ask for, surely?

    Regards,
    Jamie Kahn Genet

    Jamie Kahn Genet, Mar 31, 2007
  17. Jamie Kahn Genet

    Don Hills Guest

    In article <>,
    (Jamie Kahn Genet) wrote:

    >All I want is DECENT sound. Not great, not fantastic. I'm no audiophile.
    >Just decent sound in the sub $150 range. Not so much to ask for, surely?

    Not in the past, but maybe too much these days. Looking into the past a bit
    at speakers I've found good for music:

    The Cambridge PCWorks 2.1 set (smallest of the Cambridge Soundworks range,
    $139 or so retail) sound reasonable for their size if you don't want high
    volume. The bigger models in the range sound even better.

    I have a couple of Nicole brand sets (one 2.1, one 2.0) that sound very
    good. No idea on what they were worth new, but I would guess $100 for the
    2.0 and $200 for the 2.1 (SD-522) set. Both have wooden cabinets with quite
    thick wood, not the usual plastic, and proper 2-way drivers.

    IBM bundled a 2.0 set with their old Aptiva systems that were much better
    than average. I still use a set as TV speakers in the lounge, they're very
    pleasant to listen to. I recommend these if you can find them second hand.
    They have no brand identifier at all on them. They're a plain beige plastic
    cabinet, controls at the top of the right hand speaker. The back has some
    specs moulded in, and there should be a "24 VAC - 30 W" sticker down by the
    power socket. They come with a substantial "brick" power supply.

    So either look around second-hand stores for older PC speaker sets, or the
    same stores for old stereo systems. Carry around an MP3 player and a couple
    of different audio cables and ask if they'll let you plug them in and see how
    they sound on music that you know well.

    preparing you for the wonders of OS/2!"

    Don Hills, Mar 31, 2007
  18. Jamie Kahn Genet

    Sir to you Guest

    On Mar 29, 6:34 pm, "Jamie Kahn Genet" <> wrote:
    > On Mar 8, 2:09 pm, (Jamie Kahn Genet)
    > wrote:
    >
    > > For music and games. What's a good buy under $100? Under $200?

    > > TIA,
    > > Jamie Kahn Genet

    > Well, I ended up picking the Logitech X-230's <http://www.logitech.com/
    > index.cfm/products/details/NZ/EN,CRID=2173,CONTENTID=9066> and I've
    > had nothing but trouble.
    >
    > First Supercheap Computers <http://www.supercheappc.biz/site/> tell me
    > they've got one in stock for $56.48 and I can pay and they will post
    > it off tomorrow. I do. They then say someone else grabbed the last
    > one. I'll have to wait till next week. But the next day I'm told
    > there's a problem with the next expected shipment and I'll need to
    > wait till mid-APRIL! Well so much for them! (Got my refund a week
    > later - this Wednesday just past as it happens - so that wasn't TOO
    > bad on their part).
    >
    > I'm running out of time so I get fed up and waltz into the local Noel
    > Lemmings (consumer electronics and appliance chain store) and ask them
    > will they price match with another company - Compulink - out of
    > Auckland (not Supercheap - price was REALLY low cause it was a
    > parallel import). They agree and I get the speakers for NZD$80 (were
    > $119 which is oddly $10 more than Logitech themselves give ?!? ). I
    > take them home and set them up. The sound is GOD-AWFUL! :-( The bass
    > is out of control even with the subwoofer turned down as far as it
    > will go and iTunes' equaliser lowering the bass frequencies. Every
    > slightly bassy sound is a THUD. People with deep voices in spoken word
    > podcasts are DISTORTED by too much bass!!!
    >
    > I cannot believe how bad these speakers are. Even the highs sound
    > flat. It's like Logitech only cared about bass at the expense of all
    > else. And it's not the subwoofer (which is turned down all the way
    > remember). It's the tweeters that are ruining the bass sounds! All
    > they do is THUD THUD THUD every bass note. I'm returning them tomorrow
    > for a full refund :-(
    >
    > Regards,
    > Jamie Kahn Genet
    > --
    > Frog blast the vent core!

    I agree, those speakers are shit. I bought some for my parents and
    they suck.

    Sir to you, Apr 3, 2007
  19. Jamie Kahn Genet

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Sir to you wrote:
    > On Mar 29, 6:34 pm, "Jamie Kahn Genet" <> wrote:
    > > Well, I ended up picking the Logitech X-230's
    > > <http://www.logitech.com/

    > > I cannot believe how bad these speakers are. Even the highs sound
    > > flat. It's like Logitech only cared about bass at the expense of all
    > > else. And it's not the subwoofer (which is turned down all the way
    > > remember). It's the tweeters that are ruining the bass sounds! All
    > > they do is THUD THUD THUD every bass note. I'm returning them
    > > tomorrow for a full refund :-(

    > I agree, those speakers are shit. I bought some for my parents and
    > they suck.

    I just wish I could find some of this second-hand audio gear that others are
    talking about. I've looked in the local second-hand shops and what's there
    is low-fi and hi-price. Perhaps you need to live in a big city?
    --
    Shaun.

    ~misfit~, Apr 4, 2007
  20. Jamie Kahn Genet

    Rob S Guest

    ~misfit~ wrote:
    > Sir to you wrote:
    >> On Mar 29, 6:34 pm, "Jamie Kahn Genet" <> wrote:
    >>> Well, I ended up picking the Logitech X-230's
    >>> <http://www.logitech.com/

    >>> I cannot believe how bad these speakers are. Even the highs sound
    >>> flat. It's like Logitech only cared about bass at the expense of all
    >>> else. And it's not the subwoofer (which is turned down all the way
    >>> remember). It's the tweeters that are ruining the bass sounds! All
    >>> they do is THUD THUD THUD every bass note. I'm returning them
    >>> tomorrow for a full refund :-(

    >> I agree, those speakers are shit. I bought some for my parents and
    >> they suck.

    > I just wish I could find some of this second-hand audio gear that others are
    > talking about. I've looked in the local second-hand shops and what's there
    > is low-fi and hi-price. Perhaps you need to live in a big city?

    It's hit and miss wherever you are. Sometimes Cash Converters have good
    deals and sometimes they're away with the fairies. Same with Trademe.
    I've found garage sales can provide some of the best bargains, but there
    aren't as many these days as everyone uses Trademe to get rid of their
    bits and pieces.

    Rob S

    Rob S, Apr 4, 2007