    [Please note: I wrote this post looking for answers, not for a bunch of
    Microsoft-bashing poop. If you want to bash Microsoft, please redirect
    your flame to alt.test.]

    AnonyMouse, Nov 2, 2006

  2. AnonyMouse

    Guest

    , Nov 2, 2006

  3. AnonyMouse

    Vanguard Guest

    "AnonyMouse" <> wrote in message
    news:Z6u2h.4690$...
    > ...the free, ultra-stripped-down version of Windows XP I heard
    > Microsoft was putting out in third world countries? (Or maybe it
    > cost some money...I dunno). I was wondering where I could get my
    > hands on a copy of it--if it's free, you'd think that Microsoft
    > would let you download a copy of it.

    So what stops you from uninstalling Windows Media Player if you want
    the "N" version?

    Vanguard, Nov 3, 2006
  4. AnonyMouse

    Tony Guest

    > ...the free, ultra-stripped-down version of Windows XP I heard Microsoft
    > was putting out in third world countries? (Or maybe it cost some money...I
    > dunno). I was wondering where I could get my hands on a copy of it--if
    > it's free, you'd think that Microsoft would let you download a copy of it.
    >
    > [Please note: I wrote this post looking for answers, not for a bunch of
    > Microsoft-bashing poop. If you want to bash Microsoft, please redirect
    > your flame to alt.test.]

    I think that item relates to the stripped down version required following
    the European anti trust ruling.

    The version shipped to third world countries was originally called XP Lite
    but changed its name to XP Starters Edition. There is an article at
    http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post/20061009-7937.html about it. Looks
    like M$ have shipped over a million copies

    Tony, Nov 3, 2006
  5. AnonyMouse

    G. Morgan Guest

    On Fri, 3 Nov 2006 00:18:19 -0000, "Tony" <> wrote:

    >"AnonyMouse" <> wrote in message
    >> ...the free, ultra-stripped-down version of Windows XP I heard Microsoft
    >> was putting out in third world countries? (Or maybe it cost some money...I
    >> dunno). I was wondering where I could get my hands on a copy of it--if
    >> it's free, you'd think that Microsoft would let you download a copy of it.
    >>
    >> [Please note: I wrote this post looking for answers, not for a bunch of
    >> Microsoft-bashing poop. If you want to bash Microsoft, please redirect
    >> your flame to alt.test.]

    >I think that item relates to the stripped down version required following
    >the European anti trust ruling.
    >
    >The version shipped to third world countries was originally called XP Lite
    >but changed its name to XP Starters Edition. There is an article at
    >http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post/20061009-7937.html about it. Looks
    >like M$ have shipped over a million copies

    That's it.

    "Windows XP Starter Edition is a lower-cost version of Windows XP
    available in Thailand, Turkey, Malaysia, Indonesia, Russia, India,
    Brazil, Argentina, Chile, Mexico, Ecuador, Uruguay and Venezuela. It
    is similar to Windows XP Home, but is limited to low-end hardware, can
    only run 3 programs at a time, and has some other features either
    removed or disabled by default.

    According to a Microsoft press release, Windows XP Starter Edition is
    "a low-cost introduction to the Microsoft Windows XP operating system
    designed for first-time desktop PC users in developing countries." It
    is seen as an effort to fight unauthorized copying of Windows XP and
    possibly the spread of GNU/Linux-based systems in Asia and South
    America."

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_XP#Windows_XP_Starter_Edition

    --

    -Graham
    (remove the double e's to email)

    G. Morgan, Nov 3, 2006
  6. AnonyMouse

    AnonyMouse Guest

    wrote:
    > AnonyMouse <> wrote:
    >
    >> ...the free, ultra-stripped-down version of Windows XP I heard Microsoft
    >> was putting out in third world countries? (Or maybe it cost some
    >> money...I dunno). I was wondering where I could get my hands on a copy
    >> of it--if it's free, you'd think that Microsoft would let you download a
    >> copy of it.

    > Nobody would buy it :)
    > http://politics.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=05/11/19/0744250

    That's different--I meant the version that only supported one user, etc.
    not the no-media-player version the E.U. mandated.

    AnonyMouse, Nov 3, 2006
  7. AnonyMouse

    AnonyMouse Guest

    Vanguard wrote:
    > "AnonyMouse" <> wrote in message
    >> ...the free, ultra-stripped-down version of Windows XP I heard
    >> Microsoft was putting out in third world countries? (Or maybe it cost
    >> some money...I dunno). I was wondering where I could get my hands on a
    >> copy of it--if it's free, you'd think that Microsoft would let you
    >> download a copy of it.

    > So what stops you from uninstalling Windows Media Player if you want the
    > "N" version?

    See my above reply, the "N" version is NOT what I'm looking for! I'm
    mainly looking for a copy of the stripped-down version so I don't have
    to buy another full license to setup a virtual machine.

    AnonyMouse, Nov 3, 2006
  8. AnonyMouse

    AnonyMouse Guest

    Tony wrote:
    > "AnonyMouse" <> wrote in message
    >> ...the free, ultra-stripped-down version of Windows XP I heard Microsoft
    >> was putting out in third world countries? (Or maybe it cost some money...I
    >> dunno). I was wondering where I could get my hands on a copy of it--if
    >> it's free, you'd think that Microsoft would let you download a copy of it.
    >>
    >> [Please note: I wrote this post looking for answers, not for a bunch of
    >> Microsoft-bashing poop. If you want to bash Microsoft, please redirect
    >> your flame to alt.test.]

    > I think that item relates to the stripped down version required following
    > the European anti trust ruling.
    >
    > The version shipped to third world countries was originally called XP Lite
    > but changed its name to XP Starters Edition. There is an article at
    > http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post/20061009-7937.html about it. Looks
    > like M$ have shipped over a million copies

    Yes! You're the only person so far who's actually even MENTIONED the
    right now. Starter edition, that's it. I forgot the name. No, "N" is not
    what I"m looking for. THANK YOU, THIS POST HAS BEEN RESOLVED!

    AnonyMouse, Nov 3, 2006
  9. AnonyMouse

    AnonyMouse Guest

    G. Morgan wrote:
    > On Fri, 3 Nov 2006 00:18:19 -0000, "Tony" <> wrote:
    >
    >> "AnonyMouse" <> wrote in message
    >>> ...the free, ultra-stripped-down version of Windows XP I heard Microsoft
    >>> was putting out in third world countries? (Or maybe it cost some money...I
    >>> dunno). I was wondering where I could get my hands on a copy of it--if
    >>> it's free, you'd think that Microsoft would let you download a copy of it.
    >>>
    >>> [Please note: I wrote this post looking for answers, not for a bunch of
    >>> Microsoft-bashing poop. If you want to bash Microsoft, please redirect
    >>> your flame to alt.test.]

    >> I think that item relates to the stripped down version required following
    >> the European anti trust ruling.
    >>
    >> The version shipped to third world countries was originally called XP Lite
    >> but changed its name to XP Starters Edition. There is an article at
    >> http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post/20061009-7937.html about it. Looks
    >> like M$ have shipped over a million copies
    >>

    > That's it.
    >
    > "Windows XP Starter Edition is a lower-cost version of Windows XP
    > available in Thailand, Turkey, Malaysia, Indonesia, Russia, India,
    > Brazil, Argentina, Chile, Mexico, Ecuador, Uruguay and Venezuela. It
    > is similar to Windows XP Home, but is limited to low-end hardware, can
    > only run 3 programs at a time, and has some other features either
    > removed or disabled by default.
    >
    > According to a Microsoft press release, Windows XP Starter Edition is
    > "a low-cost introduction to the Microsoft Windows XP operating system
    > designed for first-time desktop PC users in developing countries." It
    > is seen as an effort to fight unauthorized copying of Windows XP and
    > possibly the spread of GNU/Linux-based systems in Asia and South
    > America."
    >
    > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_XP#Windows_XP_Starter_Edition

    Yep. You got it. Thank you everyone!

    AnonyMouse, Nov 3, 2006
  10. AnonyMouse

    richard Guest

    > Vanguard wrote:
    >> "AnonyMouse" <> wrote in message
    >>> ...the free, ultra-stripped-down version of Windows XP I heard Microsoft
    >>> was putting out in third world countries? (Or maybe it cost some
    >>> money...I dunno). I was wondering where I could get my hands on a copy
    >>> of it--if it's free, you'd think that Microsoft would let you download a
    >>> copy of it.

    >> So what stops you from uninstalling Windows Media Player if you want the
    >> "N" version?

    > See my above reply, the "N" version is NOT what I'm looking for! I'm
    > mainly looking for a copy of the stripped-down version so I don't have to
    > buy another full license to setup a virtual machine.

    Bullshit. Just install what you've got. There is no way in sam hell the
    CD-ROM is going to know how many machines you installed it into. ROM - Read
    only Memory. It is incapable of being written to.
    The only way M$ would know is if you had both machines online at the precise
    same time and they tracked your usage of it.
    That license per machine crap is just another way to scare the ignorant
    people into making the big shots richer.

    Ok so prove me wrong. Buy 10 identical machines. Scrap the drives to bare.
    Install Windows from the same Cd onto each and every machine. Now tell me
    how each machine knows anything? I'll bet it can't be done.

    richard, Nov 3, 2006
  11. AnonyMouse

    AnonyMouse Guest

    richard wrote:

    > "AnonyMouse" <> wrote in message
    >> Vanguard wrote:
    >>> "AnonyMouse" <> wrote in message
    >>>

    >>> So what stops you from uninstalling Windows Media Player if you want
    >>> the "N" version?

    >> See my above reply, the "N" version is NOT what I'm looking for! I'm
    >> mainly looking for a copy of the stripped-down version so I don't have
    >> to buy another full license to setup a virtual machine.

    > Bullshit. Just install what you've got. There is no way in sam hell the
    > CD-ROM is going to know how many machines you installed it into. ROM -
    > Read only Memory. It is incapable of being written to.
    > The only way M$ would know is if you had both machines online at the
    > precise same time and they tracked your usage of it.
    > That license per machine crap is just another way to scare the ignorant
    > people into making the big shots richer.
    >
    > Ok so prove me wrong. Buy 10 identical machines. Scrap the drives to
    > bare. Install Windows from the same Cd onto each and every machine. Now
    > tell me how each machine knows anything? I'll bet it can't be done.

    Well, I've heard that activating one copy of windows with another one's
    license key will mean the original pc cannot access windows updates any
    more.

    And there's also an ethical limitation in doing that with software
    that's still "in print". and is thus having money made off of it.

    AnonyMouse, Nov 3, 2006
  12. AnonyMouse

    Dustbin Ko0k Guest

    **** off, us truck drivers want to know what K-Man, not you, has to say.

    Dustbin Ko0k, Nov 3, 2006
  13. AnonyMouse

    why? Guest

    On Fri, 03 Nov 2006 05:08:20 GMT, AnonyMouse wrote:

    > wrote:
    >> AnonyMouse <> wrote:
    >>
    >>> ...the free, ultra-stripped-down version of Windows XP I heard Microsoft
    >>> was putting out in third world countries? (Or maybe it cost some
    >>> money...I dunno). I was wondering where I could get my hands on a copy
    >>> of it--if it's free, you'd think that Microsoft would let you download a
    >>> copy of it.

    >> Nobody would buy it :)
    >> http://politics.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=05/11/19/0744250
    >>

    >That's different--I meant the version that only supported one user, etc.
    >not the no-media-player version the E.U. mandated.

    Then www.google.com for it, all of 5 seconds work to get a few keywords
    in the correct order.

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_XP#Windows_XP_Starter_Edition

    That gives you the name and some info to look further.

    Some days, I am just glad the helpdesk calls at work are
    challenging......

    Me

    why?, Nov 3, 2006
  14. AnonyMouse

    Frosty Guest

    I downloaded new messages from 24hoursupport.helpdesk on Fri, 03 Nov
    2006 05:10:44 GMT, and AnonyMouse
    <> vomited forth this bit of
    wisdom :

    >Tony wrote:
    >> "AnonyMouse" <> wrote in message
    >>> ...the free, ultra-stripped-down version of Windows XP I heard Microsoft
    >>> was putting out in third world countries? (Or maybe it cost some money...I
    >>> dunno). I was wondering where I could get my hands on a copy of it--if
    >>> it's free, you'd think that Microsoft would let you download a copy of it.
    >>>
    >>> [Please note: I wrote this post looking for answers, not for a bunch of
    >>> Microsoft-bashing poop. If you want to bash Microsoft, please redirect
    >>> your flame to alt.test.]

    >> I think that item relates to the stripped down version required following
    >> the European anti trust ruling.
    >>
    >> The version shipped to third world countries was originally called XP Lite
    >> but changed its name to XP Starters Edition. There is an article at
    >> http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post/20061009-7937.html about it. Looks
    >> like M$ have shipped over a million copies
    >>

    >Yes! You're the only person so far who's actually even MENTIONED the
    >right now. Starter edition, that's it. I forgot the name. No, "N" is not
    >what I"m looking for. THANK YOU, THIS POST HAS BEEN RESOLVED!

    And with a program that has an ass in its name there are 29 hits, many
    of which are the actual program.

    Frosty, Nov 4, 2006
  15. AnonyMouse

    Spunker Guest

    "Rhonda Lea Kirk" <> wrote in message

    snipped

    > Says the stupid **** who thinks s/he can defeat spammers by feeding them
    > fake email addresses.

    Good morning Rhonda, well thats the butch part of your post...

    > Here's a newsflash, pumpkin. No matter how you feel about him, he's still
    > forgotten more than you'll ever know.
    >
    >> Of course, he cross-posted
    >> to a gazillion unrelated newsgroups.

    > --
    > Rhonda Lea Kirk

    And heres the lipstick element to your post...

    > Happiness limits the amount of suffering one is
    > willing to inflict on others. Phèdre nó Delaunay

    Have you shaved this morning?

    Spunker, Nov 5, 2006
  16. Spunker wrote:
    > "Rhonda Lea Kirk" <> wrote in message
    >
    > snipped
    >>
    >> Says the stupid **** who thinks s/he can defeat spammers by feeding
    >> them fake email addresses.

    > Good morning Rhonda, well thats the butch part of your post...

    You seem to have an odd idea of what defines male and female behavior.

    >> Here's a newsflash, pumpkin. No matter how you feel about him, he's
    >> still forgotten more than you'll ever know.
    >>
    >>> Of course, he cross-posted
    >>> to a gazillion unrelated newsgroups.

    >> --
    >> Rhonda Lea Kirk
    >>

    > And heres the lipstick element to your post...
    >
    >> Happiness limits the amount of suffering one is
    >> willing to inflict on others. Phèdre nó Delaunay
    >>

    > Have you shaved this morning?

    Not yet. It's Sunday, and I'm still having tea. Shortly, I will get into
    the shower, and then I will shave my legs, my underarms and my pussy. I
    do it every day to stay nice and smooth.

    How 'bout you?

    --
    Rhonda Lea Kirk

    Rhonda Lea Kirk, Nov 5, 2006