??? WHAT ???

Discussion in 'DVD Video' started by Lookingglass, Jul 31, 2004.

  1. Lookingglass

    Lookingglass Guest

    What kinds of DVDs do you buy, that is... are you buying the big Hollywood
    stuff that can be seen everyday on HBO and Showtime?...or stuff that you
    will probably NEVER see on cable?

    I have a few hundred DVDs... but most of them are very obscure stuff that
    you don't see every day... I have some Hollywood stuff (Wizard of Oz, Big
    Fish, Edward Scissorhands), but mainly old classics and the odd "cult movie"
    (like the 1954 Invaders From Mars and A Christmas Carol)... I have lots of
    silent films (Metropolis, Nosferatu, The Cabinet of Doctor Caligari, The Man
    Who Laughs)... some European animation (stop-motion films by Svankmajer and
    Trnka and Karel Zeman)... and a lot of theater performances (opera and
    ballet and plays)... I have the old Howdy Doody tv shows (and I'm looking
    forward to the release of PeeWee's Playhouse), and the collection of Ed
    Sullivan Shows that the Beatles performed on... speaking of the Beatles, I
    also have Anthology... The Who at the Isle of Wight and The Kids Are
    Alright, too... Dave Mathews, Tina Turner...

    When I go to the video store I search through all the stock looking for the
    titles I know I would never see otherwise...

    Just wondering what others think about collecting...

    Peace...................Dave
    www.Shemakhan.com

    Lookingglass, Jul 31, 2004

  2. Lookingglass

    jayembee Guest

    says...

    > What kinds of DVDs do you buy, that is... are you buying the big Hollywood
    > stuff that can be seen everyday on HBO and Showtime?...or stuff that you
    > will probably NEVER see on cable?

    I collect what I like. Period. Whether it's viewable on cable or not is
    completely and totally irrelevant.

    The bulk of what I buy is vintage films (basically pre-1970), though many
    of those titles *are* available on cable (Turner Classic Movies). I do
    buy some current movies, ones that I saw in the theater and liked, and
    ones that I haven't seen in the theater, but think there's a good chance
    I'll like.

    I also collect a lot of TV series.

    -- jayembee

    jayembee, Jul 31, 2004

  3. Lookingglass

    Murder Guest

    "Lookingglass" <> wrote in

    > What kinds of DVDs do you buy, that is... are you buying the big
    > Hollywood stuff that can be seen everyday on HBO and Showtime?...or
    > stuff that you will probably NEVER see on cable?
    >
    > I have a few hundred DVDs... but most of them are very obscure stuff
    > that you don't see every day... I have some Hollywood stuff (Wizard of
    > Oz, Big Fish, Edward Scissorhands), but mainly old classics and the
    > odd "cult movie" (like the 1954 Invaders From Mars and A Christmas
    > Carol)... I have lots of silent films (Metropolis, Nosferatu, The
    > Cabinet of Doctor Caligari, The Man Who Laughs)... some European
    > animation (stop-motion films by Svankmajer and Trnka and Karel
    > Zeman)... and a lot of theater performances (opera and ballet and
    > plays)... I have the old Howdy Doody tv shows (and I'm looking forward
    > to the release of PeeWee's Playhouse), and the collection of Ed
    > Sullivan Shows that the Beatles performed on... speaking of the
    > Beatles, I also have Anthology... The Who at the Isle of Wight and The
    > Kids Are Alright, too... Dave Mathews, Tina Turner...
    >
    > When I go to the video store I search through all the stock looking
    > for the titles I know I would never see otherwise...
    >
    > Just wondering what others think about collecting...

    Yep. I broke down and bought Hellboy, today, but I prefer to collect
    obscure stuff that no one has heard of. I gave away Pirates Of The
    Carribean because everyone I visit has it in their collection, and it's
    like "Feh!" I collect horror movies, so not every title can be very
    obscure; but some of the funnest horror movies- like Spider Baby, City Of
    The Dead, Horrors Of The Black Museum, The Flesh And The Fiends,
    Humanoids From The Deep, etcetera- have largely been forgotten. I don't
    know who I'm trying to impress when I know so few people who really go
    out for horror, but it just seems to make me happy to pick up new, weird
    titles from time to time. Sometimes they aren't even movies I expect to
    watch much, but just have historical significance, or whatever.

    --
    "There is no more foul or relentless enemy of man in the occult world
    than this dead-alive creature spewed up from the grave..."

    Murder, Jul 31, 2004
  4. Lookingglass

    Lookingglass Guest

    "jayembee" <> wrote in message

    > I collect what I like. Period. Whether it's viewable on cable or not is
    > completely and totally irrelevant.

    > -- jayembee

    Of course you can collect what you like... that goes without saying... I was
    referring to the fact that if a movie is shown over and over again on cable,
    why buy it? I realize some releases come with commentary and extras... I do
    have some DVDs for that reason alone... but I would rather put my money into
    something I won't be able to see on cable... that's all... ;^)

    Peace...................Dave
    www.Shemakhan.com

    Lookingglass, Jul 31, 2004
  5. Lookingglass

    Lookingglass Guest

    "Murder" <> wrote in message

    > Yep. I broke down and bought Hellboy, today, but I prefer to collect
    > obscure stuff that no one has heard of. I gave away Pirates Of The
    > Carribean because everyone I visit has it in their collection, and it's
    > like "Feh!" I collect horror movies, so not every title can be very
    > obscure; but some of the funnest horror movies- like Spider Baby, City Of
    > The Dead, Horrors Of The Black Museum, The Flesh And The Fiends,
    > Humanoids From The Deep, etcetera- have largely been forgotten. I don't
    > know who I'm trying to impress when I know so few people who really go
    > out for horror, but it just seems to make me happy to pick up new, weird
    > titles from time to time. Sometimes they aren't even movies I expect to
    > watch much, but just have historical significance, or whatever.
    >

    > --
    > "There is no more foul or relentless enemy of man in the occult world
    > than this dead-alive creature spewed up from the grave..."
    >

    > The Castle Monster: http://www.processionofthedamned.com/diablo.htm

    YEAH!!! Everyone has to have PLAN 9 FROM OUTER SPACE and ROBOT MONSTER in
    their collection... ;^)

    That's a neat website you got there............. although I don't go for the
    typical "slasher" film... did you see THE RING?

    Your gonna hve to let us know what you think of HELLBOY on dvd............
    it looks like an interesting fim.

    Peace...................Dave
    www.Shemakhan.com

    Lookingglass, Jul 31, 2004
  6. >Of course you can collect what you like... that goes without saying... I was
    >referring to the fact that if a movie is shown over and over again on cable,
    >why buy it?

    Even if something I like is shown on cable over and over, a DVD (or LD) is more
    likely to be in OAR, less likely to be censored/cut./edited, won't have badly
    placed network "bugs" or squished credits, more likely to have value-added
    content, and allows me to watch a high quality transfer whenever I want.

    Cable's fine for second-tier movies I don't really care about, but don't
    completely dislike. Even then, I often find DVDs of these kinds of movies for
    $5 or less, so I've begun to forego cable for even those.

    >I would rather put my money into
    >something I won't be able to see on cable... that's all... ;^)

    And for me, I'd rather use cable for content that isn't on DVD; recent tv
    series, news programs, etc. Perhaps if I had a PVR my tune would change.

    Robert Morgan, Jul 31, 2004
  7. Lookingglass

    Murder Guest

    "Lookingglass" <> wrote in

    > YEAH!!! Everyone has to have PLAN 9 FROM OUTER SPACE and ROBOT MONSTER
    > in their collection... ;^)

    I do have Plan 9. I watch the companion doco "Flying Saucers Over
    Hollywood" more often than I watch the movie, though.

    > That's a neat website you got there............. although I don't go
    > for the typical "slasher" film...

    Thanks! - Nor I.

    did you see THE RING?

    Yeah. I thought it was great. Still waiting for a SE.

    > Your gonna hve to let us know what you think of HELLBOY on
    > dvd............ it looks like an interesting fim.

    I think it's pretty awesome. It does seem to cover some familiar ground
    plot-wise, though it was nicely executed by Del Toro and his effects
    team. The DVD has such a ridiculous excess of extras, that I wonder how
    they expect their upcoming Director's Cut DVD to sell? I think two hours
    is long enough for a movie, and the "making of" doco is another 2 1/2
    hours. The commentaries are great. What could possibly be on the next
    release to entice anyone other than rabid fans to buy it? More cartoons?

    An aside (Spoiler!): I noticed that when Del Toro talks about Kroenen's
    blood having turned to dust, he fails to mention Fulci's 1981 House By
    The Cemetery (Quella Villa Accanto al Cimitero), in which the villain has
    an identical trait, for exactly the same reason as Kroenan. Being an
    avid fan of Italian horror, I doubt that Del Toro was unaware of this
    gore classic. Must have been an oversight... :(

    Murder, Jul 31, 2004
  8. Lookingglass

    Mike Kohary Guest

    Lookingglass wrote:
    > "jayembee" <> wrote in message
    >
    >> I collect what I like. Period. Whether it's viewable on cable or not
    >> is completely and totally irrelevant.

    >> -- jayembee

    > Of course you can collect what you like... that goes without
    > saying... I was referring to the fact that if a movie is shown over
    > and over again on cable, why buy it? I realize some releases come
    > with commentary and extras... I do have some DVDs for that reason
    > alone... but I would rather put my money into something I won't be
    > able to see on cable... that's all... ;^)

    I also buy irregardless of whether it shows on cable or not, for 3 basic
    reasons: widescreen picture, no commercials, and my choice of when to
    watch.

    Mike

    Mike Kohary, Aug 1, 2004
  9. Lookingglass

    jayembee Guest

    says...

    > "jayembee" <> wrote:
    >
    >> I collect what I like. Period. Whether it's viewable on cable
    >> or not is completely and totally irrelevant.

    > Of course you can collect what you like... that goes without saying...
    > I was referring to the fact that if a movie is shown over and over
    > again on cable, why buy it? I realize some releases come with
    > commentary and extras... I do have some DVDs for that reason alone...
    > but I would rather put my money into something I won't be able to
    > see on cable... that's all... ;^)

    Why buy it?

    (1) With some notable exceptions (like Turner Classic Movies), the
    cable channels show films pan-&-scanned. Why would I want to spend
    my time watching only 1/2 to 2/3 of a film?

    (2) If I have the DVD, I can watch it whenever I want to watch it,
    not whenever the cable channels feel like running it.

    (3) If I watch a movie on cable, I'm stuck with watching it in real
    time, and there's the possibility of missing parts of it if I'm
    interrupted by phone calls, bathroom breaks, or the desire to make
    something to eat and/or drink.

    With DVDs, I can pause them whenever I need to. I also almost never
    watch a movie straight through from beginning to end. I often pause
    to ponder something that just happened, or replay earlier parts to
    review foreshadowing about some revelation that just took place.
    There are times when I've taken 2-1/2 to 3 hours to watch a 100m film.
    I can't do that with cable.

    As far as I'm concerned, cable is for watching films that aren't
    available on DVD, not the other way around.

    -- jayembee

    jayembee, Aug 1, 2004
  10. Lookingglass

    Richard C. Guest

    If you collect DVDs, why have HBO or Showtime?

    ==============
    :

    Richard C., Aug 2, 2004
  11. Lookingglass

    Wade365 Guest

    << If you collect DVDs, why have HBO or Showtime? >><BR><BR>

    Because although I don't collect them, I still like to watch the original
    programming (Sopranos)...

    I collect things which I'm going to watch a lot, I don't just go out and
    blanket-buy all of the new releases. I got to see "Dreamcatcher" on the H-Bo
    the other night and now I might go get the DVD because I enjoyed it a lot (much
    better than "Signs" if you ask me), so I guess you could say that it's my
    preview proccess.

    : )

    Wade365, Aug 2, 2004
  12. Lookingglass

    Black Locust Guest

    In article <Xns95379874DBCCAsteveringispwestcom@129.250.170.83>,
    Murder <> wrote:

    > I think it's pretty awesome. It does seem to cover some familiar ground
    > plot-wise, though it was nicely executed by Del Toro and his effects
    > team. The DVD has such a ridiculous excess of extras, that I wonder how
    > they expect their upcoming Director's Cut DVD to sell? I think two hours
    > is long enough for a movie, and the "making of" doco is another 2 1/2
    > hours. The commentaries are great. What could possibly be on the next
    > release to entice anyone other than rabid fans to buy it? More cartoons?

    Extra footage is the only major selling point of the Director's Cut DVD.
    I guess Columbia is banking on this extra footage being good enough to
    lore fans in for a double dip of Hellboy. I'd be curious to know how
    well the Director's Cut of Underworld has sold so far...
    --
    BL

    Black Locust, Aug 3, 2004
  13. Lookingglass

    Murder Guest

    Black Locust <> wrote in

    > In article <Xns95379874DBCCAsteveringispwestcom@129.250.170.83>,
    > Murder <> wrote:
    >
    >> I think it's pretty awesome. It does seem to cover some familiar
    >> ground plot-wise, though it was nicely executed by Del Toro and his
    >> effects team. The DVD has such a ridiculous excess of extras, that I
    >> wonder how they expect their upcoming Director's Cut DVD to sell? I
    >> think two hours is long enough for a movie, and the "making of" doco
    >> is another 2 1/2 hours. The commentaries are great. What could
    >> possibly be on the next release to entice anyone other than rabid
    >> fans to buy it? More cartoons?

    > Extra footage is the only major selling point of the Director's Cut
    > DVD. I guess Columbia is banking on this extra footage being good
    > enough to lore fans in for a double dip of Hellboy. I'd be curious to
    > know how well the Director's Cut of Underworld has sold so far...

    I held out and bought that because it has the Fangs Vs. Fiction doco. I
    find the movie pretty enjoyable, even as brainless as it is.

    Murder, Aug 3, 2004
  14. Lookingglass

    Black Locust Guest

    In article <Xns953A8F2F168steveringispwestcom@129.250.170.84>,
    Murder <> wrote:

    > I held out and bought that because it has the Fangs Vs. Fiction doco. I
    > find the movie pretty enjoyable, even as brainless as it is.

    I'm also a fan of Underworld. It's a great example of style over
    substance, but that's why I love it. It's certainly the best vampire vs.
    werewolf movie ever made. Ok, maybe that's not saying much, but
    whatever. :)

    I've been considering buying the Director's Cut, but I'm still not sure
    if it's worth it. How is the added footage? Do you think it improves the
    movie?
    --
    BL

    Black Locust, Aug 3, 2004
  15. Lookingglass

    Murder Guest

    Black Locust <> wrote in

    > In article <Xns953A8F2F168steveringispwestcom@129.250.170.84>,
    > Murder <> wrote:
    >
    >> I held out and bought that because it has the Fangs Vs. Fiction doco.
    >> I find the movie pretty enjoyable, even as brainless as it is.

    > I'm also a fan of Underworld. It's a great example of style over
    > substance, but that's why I love it. It's certainly the best vampire
    > vs. werewolf movie ever made. Ok, maybe that's not saying much, but
    > whatever. :)

    I'm trying to think if there is another one, except for Return Of The
    Vampire and Howling VI, both in which it's merely a subplot.

    Yeah, I think it's probably the best comic-book movie for my money.
    Haven't seen Spider Man 2 yet, though.

    > I've been considering buying the Director's Cut, but I'm still not
    > sure if it's worth it. How is the added footage? Do you think it
    > improves the movie?

    I actually hadn't watched the movie at all until I bought the DVD. I
    suspect it's mostly dialogue, but it's like twenty minutes of extra
    footage, so I can't believe it doesn't flesh out the story a bit more.
    Whether that's a good thing, I can't say. That said, it's a slick
    package. It has two significant inserts- a miniature version of the
    comic-book, and a storyboard-to-scene comparison, both of which are
    pretty decent. The making-of docs appear to be the same as in the
    original. I'd certainly recommend it to anyone who hasn't bought the
    first disc. Whenever i upgrade a DVD, I just give the previous version
    to a friend. Good way to score points. :)

    The AMC-produced Fangs Vs. Fiction doco is downright silly, but that's
    just how I like it. I used to love those idiotic UFO/Bigfoot docs they
    put out when I was a kid, and that's what this is like. Implausible as
    hell, but fun to think about. They even show these hardcore vampire and
    werewolf poseurs talking about a war between werewolves and vampires as
    if it were a legitimate historical occurrence, ala the Hatfields vs. the
    McCoys.

    Murder, Aug 4, 2004
  16. Lookingglass

    Black Locust Guest

    In article <Xns953AB231FB726steveringispwestcom@129.250.170.84>,
    Murder <> wrote:

    > I'm trying to think if there is another one, except for Return Of The
    > Vampire and Howling VI, both in which it's merely a subplot.

    There is a new one called Vampires vs Werewolves(hows that for creative
    and original naming?). I haven't seen it, but I saw at a local
    Blockbuster and based on the cover art and description on the back, I
    think it's safe to assume that it isn't even in the same league as
    Underworld. Looks like your typical straight to video crap.

    > Yeah, I think it's probably the best comic-book movie for my money.
    > Haven't seen Spider Man 2 yet, though.

    Actually, I don't believe Underworld is based on a comic book. I could
    be wrong about this, but I watched all the featurettes and listened to
    the commentaries on the first Underworld DVD. Not once was any comic
    book roots mentioned.

    But as far as comic book movies go, I'd still have to rank Spider-Man.
    X-Men and Blade a bit higher than Underworld.

    > I actually hadn't watched the movie at all until I bought the DVD. I
    > suspect it's mostly dialogue, but it's like twenty minutes of extra
    > footage, so I can't believe it doesn't flesh out the story a bit more.
    > Whether that's a good thing, I can't say. That said, it's a slick
    > package. It has two significant inserts- a miniature version of the
    > comic-book, and a storyboard-to-scene comparison, both of which are
    > pretty decent. The making-of docs appear to be the same as in the
    > original. I'd certainly recommend it to anyone who hasn't bought the
    > first disc. Whenever i upgrade a DVD, I just give the previous version
    > to a friend. Good way to score points. :)

    That's definitely a much nicer package than the first DVD. Are the
    commentaries from the original disc also included?

    > The AMC-produced Fangs Vs. Fiction doco is downright silly, but that's
    > just how I like it. I used to love those idiotic UFO/Bigfoot docs they
    > put out when I was a kid, and that's what this is like. Implausible as
    > hell, but fun to think about. They even show these hardcore vampire and
    > werewolf poseurs talking about a war between werewolves and vampires as
    > if it were a legitimate historical occurrence, ala the Hatfields vs. the
    > McCoys.

    I actually watched a bit of the Fangs vs Fiction doc on AMC. All I
    remember is some overly hair guy claiming he was a genuine werewolf.
    Apparently his werewolf morphs consisted of him having temper tantrums
    whenever there was a full moon... *sigh* At this point I proceeded to
    change the channel. But I'd watch it on the DVD just for a good laugh.
    --
    BL

    Black Locust, Aug 4, 2004
  17. Lookingglass

    Murder Guest

    Black Locust <> wrote in

    > In article <Xns953AB231FB726steveringispwestcom@129.250.170.84>,
    > Murder <> wrote:
    >

    >> Yeah, I think it's probably the best comic-book movie for my money.
    >> Haven't seen Spider Man 2 yet, though.

    > Actually, I don't believe Underworld is based on a comic book. I could
    > be wrong about this, but I watched all the featurettes and listened to
    > the commentaries on the first Underworld DVD. Not once was any comic
    > book roots mentioned.

    The comic book was clearly based on the movie rather than the other way
    around, but I'd describe it as a comic book movie just due to it's very
    basic structure and characters.

    > That's definitely a much nicer package than the first DVD. Are the
    > commentaries from the original disc also included?

    I think they had to record a new one, since we're dealing with the
    extended version, though I don't see where it mentions that.

    >> The AMC-produced Fangs Vs. Fiction doco is downright silly, but
    >> that's just how I like it. I used to love those idiotic UFO/Bigfoot
    >> docs they put out when I was a kid, and that's what this is like.
    >> Implausible as hell, but fun to think about. They even show these
    >> hardcore vampire and werewolf poseurs talking about a war between
    >> werewolves and vampires as if it were a legitimate historical
    >> occurrence, ala the Hatfields vs. the McCoys.

    > I actually watched a bit of the Fangs vs Fiction doc on AMC. All I
    > remember is some overly hair guy claiming he was a genuine werewolf.
    > Apparently his werewolf morphs consisted of him having temper tantrums
    > whenever there was a full moon... *sigh* At this point I proceeded to
    > change the channel. But I'd watch it on the DVD just for a good laugh.

    It's the documentary equivalent of Cheetos(TM). There is also this hot
    looking vampire babe, assuming you find that sort of thing palatable.

    Murder, Aug 4, 2004
  18. Lookingglass

    Black Locust Guest

    In article <Xns953AD506D7B64steveringispwestcom@129.250.170.85>,
    Murder <> wrote:

    > The comic book was clearly based on the movie rather than the other way
    > around, but I'd describe it as a comic book movie just due to it's very
    > basic structure and characters.

    Ah... Yeah, it's definitely comic booky in it's tone and style.

    > I think they had to record a new one, since we're dealing with the
    > extended version, though I don't see where it mentions that.

    Doh! Is Kate Beckinsdale included in this commentary?

    > It's the documentary equivalent of Cheetos(TM). There is also this hot
    > looking vampire babe, assuming you find that sort of thing palatable.

    It depends on the vampire babe. :) I'm very much into the curvy, all
    natural girl next door look. These are my favorite celebrity babes:
    Eliza Dushku, Danielle Fishel(Topanga on Boy Meets World), Nicole
    Richie, Thora Birch and Erika Christensen.
    --
    BL

    Black Locust, Aug 4, 2004
  19. Lookingglass

    Murder Guest

    Black Locust <> wrote in news:bl2112-
    :

    > In article <Xns953AD506D7B64steveringispwestcom@129.250.170.85>,
    > Murder <> wrote:
    >
    >> The comic book was clearly based on the movie rather than the other

    way
    >> around, but I'd describe it as a comic book movie just due to it's

    very
    >> basic structure and characters.

    > Ah... Yeah, it's definitely comic booky in it's tone and style.
    >
    >> I think they had to record a new one, since we're dealing with the
    >> extended version, though I don't see where it mentions that.

    > Doh! Is Kate Beckinsdale included in this commentary?

    Yep. And the director, and Scott Speedman. Scott Speedman takes off in
    the middle of the commentary, so that might distinquish it from the other
    one (or not).

    >> It's the documentary equivalent of Cheetos(TM). There is also this

    hot
    >> looking vampire babe, assuming you find that sort of thing palatable.

    > It depends on the vampire babe. :) I'm very much into the curvy, all
    > natural girl next door look. These are my favorite celebrity babes:
    > Eliza Dushku, Danielle Fishel(Topanga on Boy Meets World), Nicole
    > Richie, Thora Birch and Erika Christensen.

    She's kind of Dushku-y... She's definitely weird.

    Murder, Aug 4, 2004