    Plus sells a Step-By-Step text book to the client.
    This for the basics of how to turn a computer on, ranging up to how to get a formula in spreadsheets. All applications taught are Mucrosuft products.
    Would YOU pay that amount?

    Stirrer, Apr 18, 2006

  2. On Tue, 18 Apr 2006 17:03:51 +1200, Stirrer wrote:

    > I know me a company that charges $90 and hour + GST!
    > Plus sells a Step-By-Step text book to the client.
    > This for the basics of how to turn a computer on, ranging up to how to get a formula in spreadsheets. All applications taught are Mucrosuft products.
    > Would YOU pay that amount?

    maybe its done in a brothel

    wogers nemesis, Apr 18, 2006

  3. Stirrer

    Dave Taylor Guest

    "Stirrer" <> wrote in news:hl_0g.13762$JZ1.562617
    @news.xtra.co.nz:

    > I know me a company that charges $90 and hour + GST!

    One on One?
    We all know the difference between bulk classroom and one on one with a
    knowledgable instructor.
    It might be worth it, besides maybe the customer can't get to CPIT easily?

    http://www.cpit.ac.nz/schools/computingforfree/locations.asp
    Computing for Free is a self-paced learning programme for people who want
    to learn the basics of computing and Microsoft™ software packages - and
    it's totally free!

    Computing for FreeSelf-paced learning means you work in a classroom at your
    own pace using a textbook, but with a facilitator nearby - so you can take
    your time when you need to, or race through parts of the course that you
    are already familiar with. Sessions are booked by you at the time that best
    suits your schedule. Each session is two hours long, and we recommend you
    come in at least twice a week.

    All you need to do is choose the course you want to study from the Courses
    menu then call us on 0800 24 24 76. It's that simple.

    --
    Ciao, Dave

    Dave Taylor, Apr 18, 2006
  4. Stirrer

    Fred Dagg Guest

    On Tue, 18 Apr 2006 17:03:51 +1200, "Stirrer" <>
    exclaimed:

    >I know me a company that charges $90 and hour + GST!
    >Plus sells a Step-By-Step text book to the client.
    >This for the basics of how to turn a computer on, ranging up to how to =
    >get a formula in spreadsheets. All applications taught are Mucrosuft =

    Maybe they could show you how to use plain text in Usenet.

    Whilst getting up there, it's not totally unheard of for 1 on 1
    training. If it's group training, it's too high.

    Think how much Universities and Polytechs charge on an hourly basis.
    Hint: It's more than $90 per hour!!

    Fred Dagg, Apr 18, 2006
  5. Stirrer

    David Guest

    Dave Taylor wrote:
    > "Stirrer" <> wrote in news:hl_0g.13762$JZ1.562617
    > @news.xtra.co.nz:
    >
    >> I know me a company that charges $90 and hour + GST!

    > One on One?
    > We all know the difference between bulk classroom and one on one with a
    > knowledgable instructor.
    > It might be worth it, besides maybe the customer can't get to CPIT easily?
    >
    > http://www.cpit.ac.nz/schools/computingforfree/locations.asp
    > Computing for Free is a self-paced learning programme for people who want
    > to learn the basics of computing and Microsoft™ software packages - and
    > it's totally free!
    >
    > Computing for FreeSelf-paced learning means you work in a classroom at your
    > own pace using a textbook, but with a facilitator nearby - so you can take
    > your time when you need to, or race through parts of the course that you
    > are already familiar with. Sessions are booked by you at the time that best
    > suits your schedule. Each session is two hours long, and we recommend you
    > come in at least twice a week.
    >
    > All you need to do is choose the course you want to study from the Courses
    > menu then call us on 0800 24 24 76. It's that simple.

    Hmmm, looks like quite a good course. The only problem is that most of
    the country's population doesn't live in Christchurch. Do you know of
    any other similar initiatives around the country?

    David, Apr 18, 2006
  6. On Tue, 18 Apr 2006 17:59:55 +1200, someone purporting to be Fred Dagg
    didst scrawl:

    > On Tue, 18 Apr 2006 17:03:51 +1200, "Stirrer" <>
    > exclaimed:

    *SNIP*
    > Think how much Universities and Polytechs charge on an hourly basis.
    > Hint: It's more than $90 per hour!!

    Per student? Not even close. My courses this year are about $550 each, and
    for that I'm getting no less than two hours of lectures a week for 12
    weeks, plus probably (no schedule announced for second semester labs for
    that paper yet) an hour of small-group laboratory time a week, probably
    for 11 weeks. That adds up to 35 hours of teaching time, which is about
    $16/hour.

    --
    Matthew Poole
    "Don't use force. Get a bigger hammer."

    Matthew Poole, Apr 18, 2006
  7. On Tue, 18 Apr 2006 19:18:06 +1200, someone purporting to be Matthew Poole
    didst scrawl:

    > On Tue, 18 Apr 2006 17:59:55 +1200, someone purporting to be Fred Dagg
    > didst scrawl:

    *SNIP*
    > Per student? Not even close. My courses this year are about $550 each, and
    > for that I'm getting no less than two hours of lectures a week for 12
    > weeks, plus probably (no schedule announced for second semester labs for
    > that paper yet) an hour of small-group laboratory time a week, probably
    > for 11 weeks. That adds up to 35 hours of teaching time, which is about
    > $16/hour.

    I should also point out that that's the course with the fewest contact
    hours. I have two this semester that are five hours per week (both from
    Dept of Maths, Stats and Computer Science, interestingly enough), and
    another two that are four, which becomes about $12-$14/hour once you take
    into account weeks in which there are no small-group sessions.

    Matthew Poole, Apr 18, 2006
  8. Stirrer

    thingy Guest

    Stirrer wrote:
    > I know me a company that charges $90 and hour + GST!
    > Plus sells a Step-By-Step text book to the client.
    > This for the basics of how to turn a computer on, ranging up to how to
    > get a formula in spreadsheets. All applications taught are Mucrosuft
    > products.
    > Would YOU pay that amount?

    Depends...

    One on One?

    Done in your home?

    Seems heavy, but some tutors are really really good and get into the
    pupil really well at a one on one level....

    A friend teaches one on one and the standard/minimum pay is $35 an hour
    extra if traveling to your home....so I'd expect a company to be
    doubling that.....so that's $70.

    regards

    Thing

    thingy, Apr 18, 2006
  9. Stirrer

    . Guest

    In article <8E%0g.13773$>,
    says...
    > Dave Taylor wrote:
    > > "Stirrer" <> wrote in news:hl_0g.13762$JZ1.562617
    > > @news.xtra.co.nz:
    > >
    > >> I know me a company that charges $90 and hour + GST!

    > > One on One?
    > > We all know the difference between bulk classroom and one on one with a
    > > knowledgable instructor.
    > > It might be worth it, besides maybe the customer can't get to CPIT easily?
    > >
    > > http://www.cpit.ac.nz/schools/computingforfree/locations.asp
    > > Computing for Free is a self-paced learning programme for people who want
    > > to learn the basics of computing and Microsoft? software packages - and
    > > it's totally free!
    > >
    > > Computing for FreeSelf-paced learning means you work in a classroom at your
    > > own pace using a textbook, but with a facilitator nearby - so you can take
    > > your time when you need to, or race through parts of the course that you
    > > are already familiar with. Sessions are booked by you at the time that best
    > > suits your schedule. Each session is two hours long, and we recommend you
    > > come in at least twice a week.
    > >
    > > All you need to do is choose the course you want to study from the Courses
    > > menu then call us on 0800 24 24 76. It's that simple.
    > >

    > Hmmm, looks like quite a good course. The only problem is that most of
    > the country's population doesn't live in Christchurch. Do you know of
    > any other similar initiatives around the country?

    MIT has their FreeB classrooms around Auckland:
    http://www.manukau.ac.nz/freeb/

    There used to be more locations outside Auckland, before the Government
    cracked down on the abuse of funding for community courses.

    ., Apr 19, 2006
  10. Stirrer

    Fred Dagg Guest

    On Tue, 18 Apr 2006 19:18:06 +1200, Matthew Poole <>
    exclaimed:

    >On Tue, 18 Apr 2006 17:59:55 +1200, someone purporting to be Fred Dagg
    >didst scrawl:
    >
    >> On Tue, 18 Apr 2006 17:03:51 +1200, "Stirrer" <>
    >> exclaimed:
    >>

    >*SNIP*
    >> Think how much Universities and Polytechs charge on an hourly basis.
    >> Hint: It's more than $90 per hour!!

    >Per student? Not even close. My courses this year are about $550 each, and
    >for that I'm getting no less than two hours of lectures a week for 12
    >weeks, plus probably (no schedule announced for second semester labs for
    >that paper yet) an hour of small-group laboratory time a week, probably
    >for 11 weeks. That adds up to 35 hours of teaching time, which is about
    >$16/hour.

    That is because the government subsidises your courses.

    I was talking about what Universities charge, not what one party (you,
    in this case) pay.

    Fred Dagg, Apr 19, 2006
  11. On Wed, 19 Apr 2006 16:13:22 +1200, someone purporting to be Fred Dagg
    didst scrawl:

    > On Tue, 18 Apr 2006 19:18:06 +1200, Matthew Poole <>
    > exclaimed:

    >>*SNIP*
    >>> Think how much Universities and Polytechs charge on an hourly basis.
    >>> Hint: It's more than $90 per hour!!

    *SNIP*
    >>for 11 weeks. That adds up to 35 hours of teaching time, which is about
    >>$16/hour.

    > That is because the government subsidises your courses.
    >
    > I was talking about what Universities charge, not what one party (you,
    > in this case) pay.

    Still bollocks. The state subsidy is not five times what students pay.
    International undergraduate fees at UoA are about $20k, which is about
    four times the domestic rate.

    Matthew Poole, Apr 19, 2006