What would you do if this happened to you?

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by cowboyzlinux, Jul 19, 2003.

  1. cowboyzlinux

    cowboyzlinux Guest

    List of things happened reguarding this manner in view of owner.

    Computers RAM playing up, don't know what is wrong.

    Ring company brought computer off (brought whole computer off computer
    shop as a whole computer (not components))

    Return under warrenty to Auckland. (from hamilton)

    1 week later gets machine back but won't boot at all.

    return to company.

    1 week later gets machine back. Floppy drive is pushed right back into
    case so you can't get a disc in it.

    Machine is working fine but no floppy drive.

    Pull side off machine to inpect.

    Floppy drive not plugged into motherboard.

    floppy drive not screwed in

    hard drive/floppy drive bay is bent sideways.

    hard drive is screwed in on one side and on an angle.

    Motherboard is 'flopping' about on one side. closer inspection shows
    clips that hold the motherboard to the case are broken.

    Network card has popped out at the rear of the card, bending the 'stick
    bit' that screws it to the case.

    Plug floppy drive in and network card and boot machine to find it is
    working fine.

    What would you do?

    cowboyzlinux, Jul 19, 2003

  2. cowboyzlinux

    Jay Guest

    cowboyzlinux wrote:

    > What would you do?

    Claim for damage in transit.
    Did you sign off with the courier?
    Bad luck if you did!

    Jay, Jul 19, 2003

  3. cowboyzlinux

    cowboyzlinux Guest

    On Sat, 19 Jul 2003 21:33:54 +1000, Jay wrote:

    > cowboyzlinux wrote:
    >
    >> What would you do?

    > Claim for damage in transit.
    > Did you sign off with the courier?
    > Bad luck if you did!

    This is where the whole thing takes an ugly turn. I am sure this has
    happened to someone plenty of times before.

    The machine is my fathers and had it returned to his work. Signed yes but
    not inspected. I was talking to him before and he has now decided to do
    nothing and take it as it comes.

    cowboyzlinux, Jul 19, 2003
  4. On Sat, 19 Jul 2003 23:03:25 +1200, "cowboyzlinux" <>
    wrote:

    >List of things happened reguarding this manner in view of owner.
    >
    >Computers RAM playing up, don't know what is wrong.
    >
    >Ring company brought computer off (brought whole computer off computer
    >shop as a whole computer (not components))
    >
    >Return under warrenty to Auckland. (from hamilton)
    >
    >1 week later gets machine back but won't boot at all.
    >
    >return to company.
    >
    >1 week later gets machine back. Floppy drive is pushed right back into
    >case so you can't get a disc in it.
    >
    >Machine is working fine but no floppy drive.
    >
    >Pull side off machine to inpect.
    >
    >Floppy drive not plugged into motherboard.
    >
    >floppy drive not screwed in
    >
    >hard drive/floppy drive bay is bent sideways.
    >
    >hard drive is screwed in on one side and on an angle.
    >
    >Motherboard is 'flopping' about on one side. closer inspection shows
    >clips that hold the motherboard to the case are broken.
    >
    >Network card has popped out at the rear of the card, bending the 'stick
    >bit' that screws it to the case.
    >

    >Plug floppy drive in and network card and boot machine to find it is
    >working fine.
    >

    >What would you do?

    Get your money back..

    Seems like you bought Crap.

    Master Tech ©, Jul 19, 2003
  5. cowboyzlinux

    cowboyzlinux Guest

    On Sun, 20 Jul 2003 05:37:47 +1200, Gurble wrote:

    > On Sat, 19 Jul 2003 23:03:25 +1200, "cowboyzlinux"
    > <> had this to say:
    >
    >>What would you do?

    > Buy off a respectable, service-oriented company next time?

    I am sure it is not my place to trash this firm. I believe any trashing
    of a firm should be done 'from the horses mouth'

    Therefore I am not going to say what firm it was but it is an established
    computer shop (rather than a retail store)

    I guess every firm has their bad days. I just can't figure out what would
    have broken the motherboard clips like that or bend the inside so badly.
    After all, the outside remains undamaged.

    cowboyzlinux, Jul 19, 2003
  6. cowboyzlinux

    Peter Guest

    this quote is from cowboyzlinux of Sun, 20 Jul 2003 06:46 :

    > I am sure it is not my place to trash this firm. I believe any trashing
    > of a firm should be done 'from the horses mouth'

    If it is a reputable firm, they'll see their customers right. (If they know
    about the problem, that is.)

    > I guess every firm has their bad days. I just can't figure out what would
    > have broken the motherboard clips like that or bend the inside so badly.
    > After all, the outside remains undamaged.

    If it is a damage in transit problem, it should be covered by the transport
    companies insurance. That's what it is there for.

    You or your father should speak up and let the computer company know that
    things aren't right. You have to at least give them a chance to fix
    things.

    HTH

    Peter

    Peter, Jul 19, 2003
  7. cowboyzlinux

    R-Slicks Guest

    On Sun, 20 Jul 2003 06:46:37 +1200, "cowboyzlinux"
    <> wrote:

    >I guess every firm has their bad days. I just can't figure out what would
    >have broken the motherboard clips like that or bend the inside so badly.
    >After all, the outside remains undamaged.

    Bad days or not, this is inexcusable. I would have taken a photo and
    emailed it to the manager or someone else in high authority and
    complained bitterly. If it is the first time then I would likely leave
    it at that. If not, then I would inform them that I will not use their
    services again due to their poor service and lack of quality control.
    --
    DO NOT reply to - it is simply a spam catch.
    You can, if you wish, try "news .at. preou .dot. com"

    R-Slicks, Jul 19, 2003
  8. cowboyzlinux

    jfwilson Guest

    "cowboyzlinux" <> wrote in message

    > What would you do?

    Email this thread to their net sales contact and
    ask them the same question. :)

    jfwilson, Jul 19, 2003
  9. cowboyzlinux

    Bret Guest

    On Sun, 20 Jul 2003 09:24:53 +1200, Bret <> wrote:

    >On Sun, 20 Jul 2003 06:46:37 +1200, "cowboyzlinux"
    ><> wrote:
    >
    >>I guess every firm has their bad days. I just can't figure out what would
    >>have broken the motherboard clips like that or bend the inside so badly.
    >>After all, the outside remains undamaged.

    >I know!
    >The courier.

    On second thoughts I don't think the courier would unscrew your
    floppy.

    Bret, Jul 19, 2003
  10. cowboyzlinux

    T.N.O. Guest

    cowboyzlinux wrote:

    > List of things happened reguarding this manner in view of owner.
    >
    > Computers RAM playing up, don't know what is wrong.
    >
    > Ring company brought computer off (brought whole computer off computer
    > shop as a whole computer (not components))
    >
    > Return under warrenty to Auckland. (from hamilton)
    >
    > 1 week later gets machine back but won't boot at all.
    >
    > return to company.
    >
    > 1 week later gets machine back. Floppy drive is pushed right back into
    > case so you can't get a disc in it.
    >
    > Machine is working fine but no floppy drive.
    >
    > Pull side off machine to inpect.
    >
    > Floppy drive not plugged into motherboard.
    >
    > floppy drive not screwed in
    >
    > hard drive/floppy drive bay is bent sideways.
    >
    > hard drive is screwed in on one side and on an angle.
    >
    > Motherboard is 'flopping' about on one side. closer inspection shows
    > clips that hold the motherboard to the case are broken.
    >
    > Network card has popped out at the rear of the card, bending the 'stick
    > bit' that screws it to the case.
    >

    > Plug floppy drive in and network card and boot machine to find it is
    > working fine.
    >

    > What would you do?

    Tell them.

    T.N.O., Jul 19, 2003
  11. "Bret" <> wrote in message
    > On Sun, 20 Jul 2003 09:24:53 +1200, Bret <> wrote:
    >
    > >On Sun, 20 Jul 2003 06:46:37 +1200, "cowboyzlinux"
    > ><> wrote:
    > >
    > >>I guess every firm has their bad days. I just can't figure out what

    would
    > >>have broken the motherboard clips like that or bend the inside so badly.
    > >>After all, the outside remains undamaged.

    > >I know!
    > >The courier.

    > On second thoughts I don't think the courier would unscrew your
    > floppy.

    Or unplug it from the motherboard.

    Cheers,
    Nicholas Sherlock

    Nicholas Sherlock, Jul 20, 2003
  12. cowboyzlinux

    Enkidu Guest

    <> wrote:

    >On Sat, 19 Jul 2003 23:03:25 +1200, "cowboyzlinux"
    ><> had this to say:
    >
    >>What would you do?

    >Buy off a respectable, service-oriented company next time?

    It may be the courier's fault.

    Cheers,

    Cliff

    Enkidu, Jul 20, 2003
  13. cowboyzlinux

    cowboyzlinux Guest

    > OEM Computers in Auckland by any chance?

    No it wasn't .

    ACtually, funny you should say that cause I buy all my stuff from OEM and
    find them excellent.

    cowboyzlinux, Jul 20, 2003
  14. cowboyzlinux

    Gary Guest

    On Sun, 20 Jul 2003 12:13:49 +1200, "cowboyzlinux"
    <> wrote:

    >> OEM Computers in Auckland by any chance?

    >No it wasn't .
    >
    >ACtually, funny you should say that cause I buy all my stuff from OEM and
    >find them excellent.

    I have had a few problems with them in the past (couple of years agio,
    but I think they have improved their service since.

    You should take some digital images of the damage for your record, and
    contact the computer shop with your concerns.

    Gary, Jul 20, 2003
  15. cowboyzlinux

    <> wrote:

    >> OEM Computers in Auckland by any chance?

    >No it wasn't .
    >
    >ACtually, funny you should say that cause I buy all my stuff from OEM and
    >find them excellent.

    If the shop says it must have been damaged in transit, it is their
    responsibilty to sort it out for you, as they have the 'contract of
    carriage'. Whatever the case, the shop needs to get it back to remdy
    the problem, and within a reasonable time period. Insurancve claims
    with a courier take many months, however the shop should reapir it
    instantly for you, and them recover costs from their courier.

    Gary, Jul 20, 2003
  16. cowboyzlinux

    Gurble Guest

    On Sun, 20 Jul 2003 11:37:56 +1200, Enkidu <> had
    this to say:

    >On Sun, 20 Jul 2003 05:37:47 +1200, Gurble
    ><> wrote:
    >
    >>On Sat, 19 Jul 2003 23:03:25 +1200, "cowboyzlinux"
    >><> had this to say:
    >>
    >>>What would you do?

    >>Buy off a respectable, service-oriented company next time?
    >>

    >It may be the courier's fault.

    That the floppy wan't screwed in properly or connected to the
    motherboard?

    That the hard drive is only screwed in on one side?

    The other stuff could conceivably be the courier, but given the
    problems above, I would be mighty suspicious.

    Gurble, Jul 20, 2003
  17. cowboyzlinux

    ~misfit~ Guest

    > > OEM Computers in Auckland by any chance?

    > No it wasn't .
    >
    > ACtually, funny you should say that cause I buy all my stuff from OEM and
    > find them excellent.

    Same here.
    --
    ~misfit~

    ---

    ~misfit~, Jul 20, 2003
  18. cowboyzlinux

    The Flash Guest

    "Jay" <> wrote in message
    > cowboyzlinux wrote:
    >
    > > What would you do?

    > Claim for damage in transit.
    > Did you sign off with the courier?
    > Bad luck if you did!

    Thats a good idea but I have found that they will NOT allow you to open a
    package prior to signing for it. You can refuse it as damaged and it will be
    returned to sender. Or you can ask to inspect it which has to be done at the
    depot. The courior who turns up at you door is not permited to open the
    package and as you have not accepted it neither can you.

    At the depot you will bet treated like a malcontent, If you as the reciever
    want to inspect the item prior to signing for it you will need to fill out
    some forms. The sender is then contacted to give authority for the courior
    company and to allow you to act as an agent of the sender and to open the
    item (not always as some have it in their terms that damage items may be
    inspected at depot) In a few days the will ring you and tell you that they
    can open the package, you return and open the package, sign it is ok or
    refuse it.

    It is a very longwinded affair and not one I advise any body to get involved
    in. IF an item looks at all like it could be damaged REFUSE it. Call the
    sender and tell the why. When the get it back the sender can verify its
    condition, repackage it and send it again.

    I usually get reasonable service from couriors however all I see is the guy
    who delives to me.

    The Flash, Jul 21, 2003
  19. cowboyzlinux

    Gary Guest

    On Mon, 21 Jul 2003 13:21:33 +1200, "The Flash"
    <> wrote:

    >Thats a good idea but I have found that they will NOT allow you to open a
    >package prior to signing for it. You can refuse it as damaged and it will be
    >returned to sender. Or you can ask to inspect it which has to be done at the
    >depot. The courior who turns up at you door is not permited to open the
    >package and as you have not accepted it neither can you.
    >
    >At the depot you will bet treated like a malcontent, If you as the reciever
    >want to inspect the item prior to signing for it you will need to fill out
    >some forms. The sender is then contacted to give authority for the courior
    >company and to allow you to act as an agent of the sender and to open the
    >item (not always as some have it in their terms that damage items may be
    >inspected at depot) In a few days the will ring you and tell you that they
    >can open the package, you return and open the package, sign it is ok or
    >refuse it.
    >
    >It is a very longwinded affair and not one I advise any body to get involved
    >in. IF an item looks at all like it could be damaged REFUSE it. Call the
    >sender and tell the why. When the get it back the sender can verify its
    >condition, repackage it and send it again.
    >
    >I usually get reasonable service from couriors however all I see is the guy
    >who delives to me.

    You just sign for it as 'not inspected' . This does work.

    Gary, Jul 21, 2003
  20. cowboyzlinux

    Jay Guest

    The Flash wrote:

    > "Jay" <> wrote in message
    >> cowboyzlinux wrote:
    >>
    >> > What would you do?

    >> Claim for damage in transit.
    >> Did you sign off with the courier?
    >> Bad luck if you did!
    >>

    > Thats a good idea but I have found that they will NOT allow you to open a
    > package prior to signing for it. You can refuse it as damaged and it will
    > be returned to sender. Or you can ask to inspect it which has to be done
    > at the depot. The courior who turns up at you door is not permited to open
    > the package and as you have not accepted it neither can you.

    Well, then you should always have the parcel inspected at the depot
    particularly if it contains items that can be damaged by rough handling
    in transit without visible external damage.

    Then they will have to re-deliver it from the depot to your place.
    Then you will have to have it inspected at the depot because it might
    have been damaged in transit.

    Repeat ad infinitum until they get the message.

    If they refuse to cooperate at any step of the way then they
    can be taken to court for breach of contract.

    Otherwise the courier will never learn their lesson.

    Jay, Jul 21, 2003