    Thanks for any input.

    --
    Infotech

    James Bailey, Jan 6, 2004

  2. MS Press

    Don't You Wish, Jan 6, 2004

  3. James Bailey

    James Martin Guest

    Hey, here's my $0.02.

    Buy them both. (Still a lot cheaper than taking training classes.) You can
    get the core 4 pack of Sybex for $120 or so, and the 4 core pack of MS Press
    for another $100. My personal opinion is that the MS Press books, while
    technically proficient are poorly written. The Sybex books are easier to
    understand, but don't go into enough detail on some topics. I used just the
    Sybex for 70-270 and 70-290, but used both for 291 after topics popped up on
    290 that weren't in the Sybex. The Sybex books just seem to go through a
    better vetting process, such that you don't already have to know what
    they're talking about to know what they're talking about (if that makes
    sense). Right now I'm studying for 70-228--Reading the MS Press book
    straight through for an overall view, then I'll go through the Sybex step by
    step for in depth knowledge, then I'll go back through the MS Press book for
    the nitty gritty on details that I feel the Sybex didn't get. Setting up a
    lab and doing the exercises is mandatory!

    The one key I've found to actually getting certified is scheduling the test.
    It sounds silly, but the day I take one test I go and get a voucher for the
    next test and schedule it that day. I've worked in IT for years, but never
    bothered until recently (unemployment is a good motivator too), started in
    Nov averaging less than 2 weeks between tests, and have passed all 6 I've
    taken so far (A+ hardware, A+ software, Linux+, 70-270,70-290,70-291)

    -James

    James Martin, Jan 7, 2004
  4. James Bailey

    Guest Guest

    Sybex all the way - they seem to get straight to the point

    Guest, Jan 7, 2004
  5. James Bailey

    Marko Guest

    >Nov averaging less than 2 weeks between tests, and have
    passed all 6 I've
    >taken so far (A+ hardware, A+ software, Linux+, 70-270,70-

    290,70-291)

    >-James

    ..

    That's very good going, James. Don't forget to tell
    others that they can nearly always reschedule the day
    before the exam if they have to, usually for up to 12
    months before the exam voucher expires.

    You should be MCSA in no time....

    Marko, Jan 7, 2004
  6. James Bailey

    Marko Guest

    I have used MS Press almost exclusively as my main reading
    text.

    However, you will find that reading every line of the F1
    online Help that ships with windows will be extremely
    helpful to you in understanding how to make things work.

    I would press F1 and read carefully before doing anything
    else.... I would go so far as to say that you could
    probably pass some of the product specific exams by
    knowing everything in the help files and never reading any
    book.

    The resource kits put out by Microsoft are excellent
    compared with the regular MS Press titles. Go figure.

    Marko, Jan 7, 2004
  7. James Bailey

    Dave Guest

    I always use at least 2 sources, MS Press and Sybex or something else.
    Also, get as much hands on as possible.

    Dave

    Dave, Jan 7, 2004
  8. James Bailey

    Japes Guest

    Hi

    May I add that's only in the USA, most other countries you have to
    re-schedule 2 days in-advance...... A friend nearly got caught out with
    that, as he couldn't re-schedule he went for the exam and passed :), by the
    skin of his teeth, but a pass is a pass.

    > Don't forget to tell others that they can nearly always reschedule the day

    before the exam if they have to,
    > usually for up to 12 months before the exam voucher expires.

    --
    Regards

    Japes
    Have you found any Celestine Insights in your life yet?
    When replying by email put STARWARS in the subject line, otherwise its
    automatically deleted.

    Japes, Jan 7, 2004