    PCMCIA modem card
    power supply
    case

    GraB, Jun 26, 2005

  2. GraB

    Harry Guest

    GraB wrote:

    > Compaq LTE 5400
    > Win98SE installed
    > Pentium 150
    > 80Mb RAM
    > 2 hard drives totalling 3Gig
    > CD-ROM
    > floppy drive
    > PCMCIA modem card
    > power supply
    > case

    $150 if you are prepared to wait 6 months for a buyer.

    Harry, Jun 26, 2005

  3. GraB

    ~misfit~ Guest

    GraB wrote:
    > Compaq LTE 5400
    > Win98SE installed
    > Pentium 150
    > 80Mb RAM
    > 2 hard drives totalling 3Gig
    > CD-ROM
    > floppy drive
    > PCMCIA modem card
    > power supply
    > case

    Not a lot methinks. $150?
    --
    ~misfit~

    ~misfit~, Jun 26, 2005
  4. In <> GraB wrote:
    > Compaq LTE 5400
    > Win98SE installed
    > Pentium 150
    > 80Mb RAM
    > 2 hard drives totalling 3Gig
    > CD-ROM
    > floppy drive
    > PCMCIA modem card
    > power supply
    > case

    You have two hard drives, a CD-ROM drive, and a floppy drive in a laptop? :-

    If you find the right buyer you could get more than you think. Here's an
    auction for an old Apple PowerBook 1400cs/117. The seller's given no
    details at all about it, but from the model number it's the cheapest,
    slowest version of the PB1400 series. It's at least 8 years old, has a
    dual-scan LCD, 117MHz CPU with no level 2 cache, and probably doesn't
    have the optional CD-ROM drive.

    These normally sell for less than $200, but a single bidder has gone to
    $400 on it. He's a new user. You can tell can't you?
    http://www.trademe.co.nz/Computers/Apple-macintosh/Laptops/auction-
    30000489.htm

    http://vintageware.orcon.net.nz/

    Roger Johnstone, Jun 26, 2005
  5. GraB

    GraB Guest

    On 26 Jun 2005 11:44:16 GMT, Roger Johnstone <>
    wrote:

    >In <> GraB wrote:
    >> Compaq LTE 5400
    >> Win98SE installed
    >> Pentium 150
    >> 80Mb RAM
    >> 2 hard drives totalling 3Gig
    >> CD-ROM
    >> floppy drive
    >> PCMCIA modem card
    >> power supply
    >> case

    >You have two hard drives, a CD-ROM drive, and a floppy drive in a laptop? :-

    floppy is external.

    GraB, Jun 26, 2005
  6. GraB

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Roger Johnstone wrote:
    > In <> GraB wrote:
    >> Compaq LTE 5400
    >> Win98SE installed
    >> Pentium 150
    >> 80Mb RAM
    >> 2 hard drives totalling 3Gig
    >> CD-ROM
    >> floppy drive
    >> PCMCIA modem card
    >> power supply
    >> case

    > You have two hard drives, a CD-ROM drive, and a floppy drive in a
    > laptop? :- o
    >
    > If you find the right buyer you could get more than you think. Here's
    > an auction for an old Apple PowerBook 1400cs/117. The seller's given
    > no details at all about it, but from the model number it's the
    > cheapest, slowest version of the PB1400 series. It's at least 8 years
    > old, has a dual-scan LCD, 117MHz CPU with no level 2 cache, and
    > probably doesn't
    > have the optional CD-ROM drive.
    >
    > These normally sell for less than $200, but a single bidder has gone
    > to $400 on it. He's a new user. You can tell can't you?
    > http://www.trademe.co.nz/Computers/Apple-macintosh/Laptops/auction-
    > 30000489.htm

    What's the bet that he's a shill for the seller? Either that or he really is
    from the USA (See his profile) and is a collector.
    --
    ~misfit~

    ~misfit~, Jun 27, 2005
  7. Forget it

    "GraB" <> wrote in message
    > Compaq LTE 5400
    > Win98SE installed
    > Pentium 150
    > 80Mb RAM
    > 2 hard drives totalling 3Gig
    > CD-ROM
    > floppy drive
    > PCMCIA modem card
    > power supply
    > case

    150 dollars seems expensive. 3 Gigs is just about enough to hold the
    operating system. Minimum RAM requirement is more like 256 Mb. Win 98SE is
    getting a bit long in the tooth.

    I have a Pentium 3 laptop, replaced the 6 Gig drive with 20 Gig, and put
    WinXP home over the top of a fresh install of Win98SE. It is an emergency
    backup now. It has a built in modem, leaving the two PCI slots free.

    Give your to MOTAT, assuming they will take it.

    Henry

    Henry Falkner, Jun 27, 2005
  8. GraB

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Re: Forget it

    Henry Falkner wrote:
    > "GraB" <> wrote in message
    >> Compaq LTE 5400
    >> Win98SE installed
    >> Pentium 150
    >> 80Mb RAM
    >> 2 hard drives totalling 3Gig
    >> CD-ROM
    >> floppy drive
    >> PCMCIA modem card
    >> power supply
    >> case
    >>

    > 150 dollars seems expensive. 3 Gigs is just about enough to hold the
    > operating system. Minimum RAM requirement is more like 256 Mb. Win
    > 98SE is getting a bit long in the tooth.
    >
    > I have a Pentium 3 laptop, replaced the 6 Gig drive with 20 Gig, and
    > put WinXP home over the top of a fresh install of Win98SE. It is an
    > emergency backup now. It has a built in modem, leaving the two PCI
    > slots free.
    >
    > Give your to MOTAT, assuming they will take it.

    There's a niche market for cheaper, semi-capable laptops. I knew a guy
    (unfortunately deceased now of complications arising from diabetes in Feb)
    who would have given $150 for this. He was a writer and didn't like the
    bulkiness of the MMX200 desktop system I gave him and liked the idea of
    being able to go sit under the trees and write. All he needed it for was
    Word/Wordpad. Similarly there are a few students I know who use similar
    specced machines and a printer for assignments. (Students often have small
    rooms, desktop systems don't go well with student's rooms) They could afford
    $150 but not the $400+ you'd want for your P3.
    --
    ~misfit~

    ~misfit~, Jun 28, 2005
  9. GraB

    GraB Guest

    Re: Forget it

    On Tue, 28 Jun 2005 09:43:01 +1200, "Henry Falkner"
    <> wrote:

    >"GraB" <> wrote in message
    >> Compaq LTE 5400
    >> Win98SE installed
    >> Pentium 150
    >> 80Mb RAM
    >> 2 hard drives totalling 3Gig
    >> CD-ROM
    >> floppy drive
    >> PCMCIA modem card
    >> power supply
    >> case
    >>

    >150 dollars seems expensive. 3 Gigs is just about enough to hold the
    >operating system. Minimum RAM requirement is more like 256 Mb. Win 98SE is
    >getting a bit long in the tooth.

    For portable wordprocessing, e-mails, etc, it is quite adequate. I
    wasn't selling it, I sort of inherited it from a friend after he got a
    new one.

    GraB, Jun 28, 2005