What would cause unmoveble files to move?

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by *alan*, Nov 14, 2007.

  1. *alan*

    *alan* Guest

    Using XP Pro SP2. The XP defragmenter schematic representation *always*
    showed the green band ("unmovable files") at roughly the middle of the LEFT
    third of the chart, surrounded by files both fragmented and defragmented.
    However, after having downloaded Comodo Firewall I decided not to use it (as
    it asked me to make too many decisions on my own, vastly overtaxing my
    computer knowledge) and I uninstalled it.
    After having uninstalled Comodo, my "unmovable files" green band is now
    showing at roughly the RIGHT third of the chart, surrounded by lots of free
    space.
    I'm not sure if Comodo installation and subsequent uninstallation was
    responsible or if it was merely coincidental.
    Other than the movement of the unmovable files, everything else seems to
    work fine.
    Can anyone tell me what happened and if I should be at all concerned?
    Thanks for your input.
    --
    alan

    *alan*, Nov 14, 2007

  2. *alan*

    richard Guest

    On Wed, 14 Nov 2007 01:21:54 GMT, *alan* wrote:

    > Using XP Pro SP2. The XP defragmenter schematic representation *always*
    > showed the green band ("unmovable files") at roughly the middle of the LEFT
    > third of the chart, surrounded by files both fragmented and defragmented.
    > However, after having downloaded Comodo Firewall I decided not to use it (as
    > it asked me to make too many decisions on my own, vastly overtaxing my
    > computer knowledge) and I uninstalled it.
    > After having uninstalled Comodo, my "unmovable files" green band is now
    > showing at roughly the RIGHT third of the chart, surrounded by lots of free
    > space.
    > I'm not sure if Comodo installation and subsequent uninstallation was
    > responsible or if it was merely coincidental.
    > Other than the movement of the unmovable files, everything else seems to
    > work fine.
    > Can anyone tell me what happened and if I should be at all concerned?
    > Thanks for your input.

    When I used to perform defrags on my old systems regularly, I always got a
    kick out of "unmovable files" being moved. I think that basically what this
    really means is that they are kept in a relative position with other data.
    e.g., the physical center of the actual data. Not the center of the disk.

    I wouldn't worry about it. Just defrag and let it do it's thing.

    richard, Nov 14, 2007

  3. *alan*

    Another Guest

    > When I used to perform defrags on my old systems regularly, I always got a
    > kick out of "unmovable files" being moved. I think that basically what this
    > really means is that they are kept in a relative position with other data.
    > e.g., the physical center of the actual data. Not the center of the disk.
    >
    > I wouldn't worry about it. Just defrag and let it do it's thing.

    You disseminated a bunch of non-information. A file that is unmovable
    is a file that is in use by the OS or other running process.

    Another, Nov 14, 2007
  4. *alan*

    Diagoras Guest

    "*alan*" <> wrote in message
    > Using XP Pro SP2. The XP defragmenter schematic representation *always*
    > showed the green band ("unmovable files") at roughly the middle of the
    > LEFT third of the chart, surrounded by files both fragmented and
    > defragmented.
    > However, after having downloaded Comodo Firewall I decided not to use it
    > (as it asked me to make too many decisions on my own, vastly overtaxing my
    > computer knowledge) and I uninstalled it.
    > After having uninstalled Comodo, my "unmovable files" green band is now
    > showing at roughly the RIGHT third of the chart, surrounded by lots of
    > free space.
    > I'm not sure if Comodo installation and subsequent uninstallation was
    > responsible or if it was merely coincidental.
    > Other than the movement of the unmovable files, everything else seems to
    > work fine.
    > Can anyone tell me what happened and if I should be at all concerned?
    > Thanks for your input.
    > --
    > alan

    The green band is your swap file, or virtual memory. You shouldn't be
    concerned if it moves.

    Diagoras, Nov 14, 2007
  5. *alan*

    *alan* Guest

    "richard" <> wrote in message
    > On Wed, 14 Nov 2007 01:21:54 GMT, *alan* wrote:
    >
    >> Using XP Pro SP2. The XP defragmenter schematic representation *always*
    >> showed the green band ("unmovable files") at roughly the middle of the
    >> LEFT
    >> third of the chart, surrounded by files both fragmented and defragmented.
    >> However, after having downloaded Comodo Firewall I decided not to use it
    >> (as
    >> it asked me to make too many decisions on my own, vastly overtaxing my
    >> computer knowledge) and I uninstalled it.
    >> After having uninstalled Comodo, my "unmovable files" green band is now
    >> showing at roughly the RIGHT third of the chart, surrounded by lots of
    >> free
    >> space.
    >> I'm not sure if Comodo installation and subsequent uninstallation was
    >> responsible or if it was merely coincidental.
    >> Other than the movement of the unmovable files, everything else seems to
    >> work fine.
    >> Can anyone tell me what happened and if I should be at all concerned?
    >> Thanks for your input.

    > When I used to perform defrags on my old systems regularly, I always got a
    > kick out of "unmovable files" being moved. I think that basically what
    > this
    > really means is that they are kept in a relative position with other data.
    > e.g., the physical center of the actual data. Not the center of the disk.
    >
    > I wouldn't worry about it. Just defrag and let it do it's thing.

    I think maybe you didn't pay attention to what I'd said. Although it is at
    variance with your experience, I'd mentioned that my green band had ALWAYS
    been in the center of the LEFT hand third of the chart, surrounded by other
    files. It then moved (just once, mind you, and for the first time) to the
    center of the RIGHT hand third of the chart, now surrounded by free space.
    It is interesting to me that your experience (i.e. your green band of
    unmovable files *always* moving) is so different from mine ....thank you
    for your input.
    --
    alan

    *alan*, Nov 15, 2007