What with x64 and I-net Bandwidth?

Discussion in 'Windows 64bit' started by Tony Sperling, Mar 1, 2006.

  1. I just ran the Sandra Internet Connection tests on my machine, the results
    was extremely peculiar. According to my ISP I am on a 10Mb feed ( 100Mb
    optic fiber to Switch/Router in the cellar, and 10Mb to each appartment by
    CAT 5 )

    Sandra lists references as ADSL 512 | 1Mb | 2Mb, and 56Kb Modem.

    1. The Connection Benchmark:
    Bandwidth - 46Kb
    Latency - 172ms

    ADSL 1Mb Bandwidth - 57Kb; Latency - 18ms.
    ADSL 2Mb Bandwidth - 103Kb; Latency - 17ms.

    2. The ISP Peerege Benchmark:
    Bandwidth - 47Kb
    Latency - 76ms

    ADSL 1Mb Bandwidth - 56Kb; Latency -
    94ms.
    ADSL 2Mb Bandwidth - 77Kb; Latency -
    89ms.
    ( The results of this test improved vastly by having
    internet radio
    turned on, while the connection test showed no change
    at all. )

    I am aware, of course, that live tests does not compare directly with either
    typical or best case figures, but surely there is something wrong with
    either me, my setup or the ISP. I mean to contact the ISP about the issue
    but running this OS I can imagine how they might start 'ealing' away from
    any responsibilities. And I don't even know if it is up to them anyway. And
    I am not even sure if I understand the test suit.

    Any comment will be much appraised.

    Tony. . .

    Tony Sperling, Mar 1, 2006

  2. Hi,
    you for shure have a graphics card which is able to fill some millions of
    pixel per second.
    But if you look at this post, does it ?

    Your "10 M feed" can be interpreted as a strobe signal, and on each peek of
    this signal can a data bit be transportet. But is ?
    Simply No. And if Yes, it might have not been for your networkcard, may be
    for your neighbours.

    And if there is no sharing, there might be som behind your router, or the
    next hop of your ISP, or behind the overnext. Or from the (sandra's) othe
    rside it comes in drops

    Find a "good" ftp server for downloading anything to measure your speed.
    regards

    Juergen Kluth, Mar 1, 2006

  3. Thanks, Juergen - The funny thing, though, is that I never thought of my
    connection as being slow or sluggy. In fact, I remember when I downloaded
    the x64 ISO, it took 4 minutes! But I don't understand those figures.
    Especially not the Latency part, as Sandra, according to their references,
    measures the same value to be ten times lower on ADSL, then surely the
    figures must be meaningful in some way.

    With the kind of hardware setup that is installed in the house, I don't
    think any neighbour can tap into my feed. It wouldn't make any sense, since
    they have the same connection in their flat and they have to pay the fee to
    have it opened. That leaves room for flakey installment. Or, maybe they sold
    a 100Mb feed to someone else here?

    O.K. then, is FTP download revealing more information than HTTP, in your
    mind? I shall try it out and see, but then again, why is Sandra using this
    kind of benchmark if it isn't reliable? Don't get me wrong - I never
    expected it would pour out a stream of figures that was immediately
    compareable to anything much. While I expected something that would lend
    itself to some kind of analysis, I didn't expect to be in need of a
    background in networking to do the analysing.

    Regards, Tony. . .

    Tony Sperling, Mar 1, 2006
  4. Juergen Kluth, Mar 2, 2006