  1. Jim Waggener

    Jim Waggener Guest

    I'm sure they have something up their sleeves as well. I love competition.

    Jim Waggener, Aug 20, 2003

  2. Jim Waggener <> wrote:
    >I'm sure they have something up their sleeves as well. I love competition.

    Wasn't the D100 a response to the D60, not the 10D?

    This canon could put their $1000 P&S offerings in a bad place.

    --
    Jason O'Rourke www.jor.com

    Jason O'Rourke, Aug 20, 2003

  3. Jim Waggener

    Tony Spadaro Guest

    I know the current Nikon response:
    "There goes Christmas for us."

    --
    http://www.chapelhillnoir.com
    home of The Camera-ist's Manifesto

    Tony Spadaro, Aug 21, 2003
  4. Jim Waggener

    Mark M Guest

    "Jim Waggener" <> wrote in message
    > I'm sure they have something up their sleeves as well. I love

    competition.

    Nikon:
    "Uncle!!"

    Mark M, Aug 21, 2003
  5. Jim Waggener

    Don Guest

    Tony Spadaro wrote:
    > I know an idiot with no sense of humour when one replies to one of my
    > posts.

    Do you understand ;) ???

    Obviously not. And the idiot would then be ...?

    Don

    Don, Aug 21, 2003
  6. Don <> wrote:
    >Tony Spadaro wrote:
    >> I know the current Nikon response:
    >> "There goes Christmas for us."

    >I don't think you know much at all to be honest. ;)

    That may or may not be true, but his line here looked to be spot on.

    Nikon has been falling back since the days of the 900/950/990/my 880
    whereas Canon is just piling it on, with the G series, the elph line,
    and the Dslrs. It doesn't take too much for them to return the favor,
    but they have to do something.

    --
    Jason O'Rourke www.jor.com

    Jason O'Rourke, Aug 21, 2003
  7. Jim Waggener

    Don Guest

    Jason O'Rourke wrote:

    > Don <> wrote:
    >>Tony Spadaro wrote:
    >>> I know the current Nikon response:
    >>> "There goes Christmas for us."

    >>I don't think you know much at all to be honest. ;)

    > That may or may not be true,

    I would agree with that.

    Don

    Don, Aug 21, 2003
  8. Jim Waggener

    Film Shooter Guest

    What $1000 dollar point and shoot?

    Film Shooter, Aug 21, 2003
  9. Jim Waggener

    Tony Spadaro Guest

    "The idiot would then be...?"
    Some dork named Don

    Tony Spadaro, Aug 21, 2003
  10. Film Shooter <> wrote:
    >What $1000 dollar point and shoot?

    Their 5700 comes to mind - SLR, but fixed lens. The 5400 isn't cheap
    either. (Yeah, a bit sloppy on the language - I equate SLR more with the
    lens choice than the true viewfinder)

    It's a hard sell for these guys at those prices, esp with the 1/1.8"
    or 2/3" CCDs. Yes, they're smaller than the 300D, but there are lots
    of smaller cheaper cameras that give up a little on the quality.
    --
    Jason O'Rourke www.jor.com

    Jason O'Rourke, Aug 21, 2003
  11. Jim Waggener

    Don Guest

    Tony Spadaro wrote:

    > "The idiot would then be...?"
    > Some dork named Don

    Look Tony, just because your wife found you in bed with another man,
    doesn't mean you should take it out on me. (I wasn't the other guy).

    I don't even know you, thank goodness.

    Chill bro, chill!

    BTW don't bother replying. :)

    Don, Aug 22, 2003
  12. Jim Waggener

    Curt Guest

    I dont think the Nikon people just "try put something out quickly "
    because of a Canon launch. You have to give them a little more credit
    i think. =)

    Regards Curt

    Curt, Aug 22, 2003
  13. Jim Waggener

    Tony Spadaro Guest

    What a sharp one Don - did you get it from a book?
    Goodbye loser.

    Tony Spadaro, Aug 22, 2003
  14. Jim Waggener

    Chris Hoopes Guest

    > > I could care less what Nikon does in response, as it will only be a poor
    > > quickly designed camera with not much thought just so that they have
    > > something to put next to Canon's camera. Who wants to buy something
    > > like that?
    > >
    > > Just like Canon shoving a 5 megapixel CCD in the G3 and calling it the
    > > G5 without taking consideration of the now resulting noise and problems
    > > because the rest of the electronics are designed for the 4 megapixel CCD
    > > and they just rushed it out to have something to compete with the other
    > > 5 megapixel cameras on the market.
    > >
    > > No matter what the product, when the other companies try to put
    > > something out quickly in response to a competitor's new model, it is
    > > usually not very good.

    Nikon has already announced the D2H for photojournalists, with a new
    image sensor and a lot of new features. Granted, the D2H is for a specific
    purpose, seeing that it is only a 4MP camera built for speed. I would say
    that once it rolls out in the next month or so (it is actually being tested
    by photojournalists this weekend), the D2X will follow. I think that if they
    have very good results with the new image sensor, there will be a D200 as
    well.

    The D2H has a WiFi accessory that will transmit images directly to an
    FTP server via wireless access point. It will definitely make a
    photojournalist's life much easier since the images can be sent to their
    employer directly from the event within minutes rather than waiting to
    transfer the images to a laptop and then transmitting them.

    Time will tell if all the new features Nikon is presenting will stir the
    market, but it sure sounds good!

    Chris Hoopes, Aug 22, 2003
  15. Jim Waggener

    Tore Lund Guest

    Chris Hoopes wrote:

    > Nikon has already announced the D2H for photojournalists, with a new
    > image sensor and a lot of new features. Granted, the D2H is for a specific
    > purpose, seeing that it is only a 4MP camera built for speed. I would say
    > that once it rolls out in the next month or so (it is actually being tested
    > by photojournalists this weekend), the D2X will follow. I think that if they
    > have very good results with the new image sensor, there will be a D200 as
    > well.

    Let's hope so. The 2100, 3100, SQ and 5400 were all let-downs IMO. The
    D2H, however, is an INTELLIGENT design, showing Nikon at their best, not
    caring about fashion or the high-pitched demand for more megapixels, but
    only about what makes SENSE. I hope and pray that we shall soon see two
    or three new Coolpixes based on this design philosophy.
    --
    Tore

    Tore Lund, Aug 22, 2003
  16. Jim Waggener

    John Guest

    Unfortunately, the D2H is the severely-delayed answer to the
    long-in-the-tooth Canon 1D. That camera will be replaced this year. But the
    D2H is a nice camera for photojournalists already invested in Nikon glass.

    John, Aug 24, 2003