What will Pentax do next?

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Polly Pentax, Aug 14, 2005.

  1. Polly  Pentax

    Polly Pentax Guest

    I know that I'm asking for speculative and subjective opinions, but I would
    appreciate some input on my dilemma

    I'm currently happily using an *istD, and have half a dozen reasonable
    lenses.

    The *istD still seems (to me) to be far and away the best Pentax dslr, the
    DS was tolerable - but the DL (with its 'digital filters') is nothing short
    of a 'Fun-Cam'.

    But the istD is now discontinued (as is the DS) and in very short supply -
    Pentax UK don't have a single one left.

    I have the chance to buy a new *istD body for £450, and there is my
    dilemma - do I buy an obsolete (although very well made and extremely
    satisfactory) camera, thereby safeguarding my lens investment, or do I wait
    and hope that Pentax will bring out another 'real' dslr?

    I've read all the speculation about an 8mp, 10mp, 12,mp (take your pick) ,
    anti-shake replacement for the *istD - but that's ALL it is, speculation.

    Part of me desperately wants to believe that Pentax will shortly announce
    such a model, and part of me thinks that, given their dire economic
    situation, Pentax might not even be making digital cameras this time next
    year.

    If I let this body go I certainly won't finds another new one if I need it.
    If I buy it and Pentax suddenly announce a new high specification camera I
    will have bought the second *istD in vain - I know I could sell it - but the
    price would have to be low if a new all singing-all-dancing model was about
    to ship.

    I have to admit to feeling a bit pessimistic about the future of Pentax -
    their three dslr's have been a dismal progression downwards in terms of
    features and quality. No dealer I've spoken to rates their chances of
    survival very highly- but who knows?

    So, what would you do? - chance a new body announcement?, buy the *istD and
    know I've got a replacement if/when necessary?, or sell up and go for a
    surer bet like Canon?

    Thanks for your input.

    Polly Pentax, Aug 14, 2005

  2. I find it funny that you acknowledge that you are asking for
    speculation, and then later discard information about a future 8, 10, 12
    mp anti-shake replacement because it is just speculation...

    Sorry that I have nothing to add other than that, just thought it was odd.

    Nicholas Wittebol, Aug 14, 2005

  3. Polly  Pentax

    Polly Pentax Guest

    "Nicholas Wittebol" <> wrote in message
    >I find it funny that you acknowledge that you are asking for speculation,
    >and then later discard information about a future 8, 10, 12 mp anti-shake
    >replacement because it is just speculation...

    Point taken - but I can't say that it's been much help

    I don't expect anyone to know the inner workings of Pentax Corporation, I
    was just asking what *others* would do if they faced the same dilemma.

    Polly Pentax, Aug 14, 2005
  4. Polly  Pentax

    Darrell Guest

    Spring PMA, I've been told Pentax will launch two new dSLR cameras, and
    several lenses. I asked my contact if it was a *ist D replacement but he
    couldn't say due to his NDA. Vibration reduction is being tested, but could
    answer with more details. If I look at what Sony sensors are around 8.5, 10
    and 12 mp do exist. The current 12 is exclusive to Nikon, but that doesn't
    mean a second generation wouldn't be available to Pentax and Minolta. The
    step from 6.1 to 8 is a small step, so expect a bigger step. I have played
    around with the DL when I was speaking to my contact, and it's a pretty good
    camera for the price point.

    Darrell, Aug 14, 2005
  5. Polly  Pentax

    Tony Polson Guest

    "Polly Pentax" <> wrote:

    >I know that I'm asking for speculative and subjective opinions, but I would
    >appreciate some input on my dilemma
    >
    >I'm currently happily using an *istD, and have half a dozen reasonable
    >lenses.
    >
    >The *istD still seems (to me) to be far and away the best Pentax dslr, the
    >DS was tolerable - but the DL (with its 'digital filters') is nothing short
    >of a 'Fun-Cam'.
    >
    >But the istD is now discontinued (as is the DS) and in very short supply -
    >Pentax UK don't have a single one left.
    >
    >I have the chance to buy a new *istD body for £450, and there is my
    >dilemma - do I buy an obsolete (although very well made and extremely
    >satisfactory) camera, thereby safeguarding my lens investment, or do I wait
    >and hope that Pentax will bring out another 'real' dslr?
    >
    >I've read all the speculation about an 8mp, 10mp, 12,mp (take your pick) ,
    >anti-shake replacement for the *istD - but that's ALL it is, speculation.
    >
    >Part of me desperately wants to believe that Pentax will shortly announce
    >such a model, and part of me thinks that, given their dire economic
    >situation, Pentax might not even be making digital cameras this time next
    >year.
    >
    >If I let this body go I certainly won't finds another new one if I need it.
    >If I buy it and Pentax suddenly announce a new high specification camera I
    >will have bought the second *istD in vain - I know I could sell it - but the
    >price would have to be low if a new all singing-all-dancing model was about
    >to ship.
    >
    >I have to admit to feeling a bit pessimistic about the future of Pentax -
    >their three dslr's have been a dismal progression downwards in terms of
    >features and quality. No dealer I've spoken to rates their chances of
    >survival very highly- but who knows?
    >
    >So, what would you do? - chance a new body announcement?, buy the *istD and
    >know I've got a replacement if/when necessary?, or sell up and go for a
    >surer bet like Canon?

    No matter which you buy, there will always be something better around
    the corner. If that worries you, just don't buy a DSLR. Ever.

    The *ist D for £450 is good value. I paid £21 less for mine, but I
    have also seen them advertised at £579 in Jessops. So £450 is good.

    If you buy a Canon DSLR, the situation is exactly the same.

    Tony Polson, Aug 14, 2005
  6. Polly  Pentax

    Kitt Guest

    I had a couple Mamiya NC1000 film bodies with several lenses years ago.
    They were announced with great enthusiasm and fanfare. Shortly
    thereafter, Mamiya abandoned the 35mm SLR market. They did however,
    support them for a few years and then Ritz bought the repair business
    from them, so I was able to keep shooting for quite some time with
    them. Got a lot of good pictures and I loved the cameras, so it didn't
    really matter to me whether Mamiya ever built another SLR or not. In
    fact, I still have them. Don't know if either of them still works, but
    they did what I bought them for and that's all I really cared about.

    Kitt, Aug 14, 2005
  7. Polly  Pentax

    JohnR66 Guest

    Release a medium format based digital SLR based on their autofocus 645
    camera.
    John

    JohnR66, Aug 14, 2005
  8. Polly  Pentax

    Polly Pentax Guest

    "Darrell" <> wrote in message
    > Spring PMA, I've been told Pentax will launch two new dSLR cameras, and
    > several lenses. I asked my contact if it was a *ist D replacement but he
    > couldn't say due to his NDA. Vibration reduction is being tested, but
    > could answer with more details. If I look at what Sony sensors are around
    > 8.5, 10 and 12 mp do exist. The current 12 is exclusive to Nikon, but that
    > doesn't mean a second generation wouldn't be available to Pentax and
    > Minolta. The step from 6.1 to 8 is a small step, so expect a bigger step.
    > I have played around with the DL when I was speaking to my contact, and
    > it's a pretty good camera for the price point.

    I hope you're right about the new camera - and I certainly agree that Pentax
    would almost certainly go for a larger sensor than 8mp, IF they do bother
    with an *istD mk 2

    I don't know what price point the DL is at in Canada - but in the UK it sits
    very uncomfortably next to the Nikon D50, and the D50 seems a vastly better
    camera in every respect.

    Pentax have (imho) made a serious error in dumbing down to DL level. It
    just doesn't compete with anything that the competition have, not even price
    (in the UK)

    I like Pentax - but I'd be being dishonest if I didn't admit that there is
    no reason under the sun for anyone to buy a new current Pentax dslr unless
    they already have some good Pentax lenses - and the people who do have a
    decent collection of lenses are serious film buffs, and are not likely to
    swap to a glorified 'prosumer' model like the DL

    For those who have no investment in Pentax glass, why even think about the
    DL? - Nikon and Cannon offer better specced models at similar (or the same)
    price.

    All of this adds to the remorseless downwards pressure on Pentax
    profitability, and they will (again, imho) have to come up with something
    pretty spectacular to escape the spiral.

    OTOH, I'm notoriously unlucky (probably something to do with being cursed by
    a Gypsy because I refused to have my driveway resurfaced) and if I buy the
    last *istD body Pentax will undoubtedly announce a new top-line dslr the
    very next day.

    In fact, thinking about it, the solution for every Pentax owner who is
    currently waiting for such an announcement, is to send me small donations to
    buy me my new *istD body, whereupon the long awaited news from Pentax will
    immediately follow.

    If I decide to wait myself, of course, the Gypsy curse will ensure that
    Pentax stop making cameras altogether, and no-one will ever have a new
    Pentax dslr again.

    Shall we say One $/£ each?

    Polly Pentax, Aug 14, 2005
  9. Polly  Pentax

    Polly Pentax Guest

    "Tony Polson" <> wrote in message
    > "Polly Pentax" <> wrote:
    >
    >>I know that I'm asking for speculative and subjective opinions, but I
    >>would
    >>appreciate some input on my dilemma
    >>
    >>I'm currently happily using an *istD, and have half a dozen reasonable
    >>lenses.
    >>
    >>The *istD still seems (to me) to be far and away the best Pentax dslr, the
    >>DS was tolerable - but the DL (with its 'digital filters') is nothing
    >>short
    >>of a 'Fun-Cam'.
    >>
    >>But the istD is now discontinued (as is the DS) and in very short supply -
    >>Pentax UK don't have a single one left.
    >>
    >>I have the chance to buy a new *istD body for £450, and there is my
    >>dilemma - do I buy an obsolete (although very well made and extremely
    >>satisfactory) camera, thereby safeguarding my lens investment, or do I
    >>wait
    >>and hope that Pentax will bring out another 'real' dslr?
    >>
    >>I've read all the speculation about an 8mp, 10mp, 12,mp (take your pick) ,
    >>anti-shake replacement for the *istD - but that's ALL it is, speculation.
    >>
    >>Part of me desperately wants to believe that Pentax will shortly announce
    >>such a model, and part of me thinks that, given their dire economic
    >>situation, Pentax might not even be making digital cameras this time next
    >>year.
    >>
    >>If I let this body go I certainly won't finds another new one if I need
    >>it.
    >>If I buy it and Pentax suddenly announce a new high specification camera I
    >>will have bought the second *istD in vain - I know I could sell it - but
    >>the
    >>price would have to be low if a new all singing-all-dancing model was
    >>about
    >>to ship.
    >>
    >>I have to admit to feeling a bit pessimistic about the future of Pentax -
    >>their three dslr's have been a dismal progression downwards in terms of
    >>features and quality. No dealer I've spoken to rates their chances of
    >>survival very highly- but who knows?
    >>
    >>So, what would you do? - chance a new body announcement?, buy the *istD
    >>and
    >>know I've got a replacement if/when necessary?, or sell up and go for a
    >>surer bet like Canon?

    > No matter which you buy, there will always be something better around
    > the corner. If that worries you, just don't buy a DSLR. Ever.
    >
    > The *ist D for £450 is good value. I paid £21 less for mine, but I
    > have also seen them advertised at £579 in Jessops. So £450 is good.
    >
    > If you buy a Canon DSLR, the situation is exactly the same.

    Hi, Tony.

    I think that the difference with Canon is that you can be almost 100%
    certain that they will still be around in a couple of years, and will have
    good upgrade models available to purchase.

    Whether the same is true for Pentax must be debatable, given their current
    position.

    The D is available at Park Cameras for £600 - but they only have a few.
    No-one else that I know of (apart from this single one at £450) has them in
    stock at all, and Pentax UK also have no stocks left. So, it's buy now, or
    almost certainly do without in the future - UNLESS Pentax come up with a
    replacement.

    I also take Kitt's point that, if it's good enough, it doesn't matter
    whether any new bodies are forthcoming - except for the fact that I'll be
    reluctant to add expensive lenses without a clear upgrade path.

    Will Pentax keep tolerating losses on their digital imaging division?,
    that's the question. In fact, 'will' the promised Medium Format model,
    mentioned by John, actually materialise?

    I have to say, it's at times like this that I wish I had a collection of
    Cannon or Nikon lenses, instead of Pentax.

    Polly Pentax, Aug 14, 2005
  10. Polly  Pentax

    Charles Guest

    On Sun, 14 Aug 2005 02:08:06 +0100, "Polly Pentax" <>
    wrote:

> [...]

    >position.
    >
    >The D is available at Park Cameras for £600 - but they only have a few.
    >No-one else that I know of (apart from this single one at £450) has them in
    >stock at all, and Pentax UK also have no stocks left. So, it's buy now, or
    >almost certainly do without in the future - UNLESS Pentax come up with a
    >replacement.
    >
    >I also take Kitt's point that, if it's good enough, it doesn't matter
    >whether any new bodies are forthcoming - except for the fact that I'll be
    >reluctant to add expensive lenses without a clear upgrade path.
    >
    >Will Pentax keep tolerating losses on their digital imaging division?,
    >that's the question. In fact, 'will' the promised Medium Format model,
    >mentioned by John, actually materialise?
    >
    >I have to say, it's at times like this that I wish I had a collection of
    >Cannon or Nikon lenses, instead of Pentax.

    Pop Photo thinks Pentax will come out with a 645D. I abandond my
    pentax glass, the *ist was too small for my hands.

    How about we make a deal, I'll get you a *ist, you gett me one of
    these to use on my Bronica?

    http://www.creo.com/global/products/digital_photography_leaf/aptus/aptus22/default

    sound okay?

    Charles, Aug 14, 2005
  11. Polly  Pentax

    Isaiah Beard Guest

    Nicholas Wittebol wrote:
    > I find it funny that you acknowledge that you are asking for
    > speculation, and then later discard information about a future 8, 10, 12
    > mp anti-shake replacement because it is just speculation...

    What do you expect? He owns an Official Camera of the Internet[tm]. :)

    --
    E-mail fudged to thwart spammers.

    Isaiah Beard, Aug 14, 2005
  12. Polly  Pentax

    Polly Pentax Guest

    "Charles" <> wrote in message
    > On Sun, 14 Aug 2005 02:08:06 +0100, "Polly Pentax" <>
    > wrote:
    >

    >>"Tony Polson" <> wrote in message

    >>> No matter which you buy, there will always be something better around
    >>> the corner. If that worries you, just don't buy a DSLR. Ever.
    >>>
    >>> The *ist D for £450 is good value. I paid £21 less for mine, but I
    >>> have also seen them advertised at £579 in Jessops. So £450 is good.
    >>>
    >>> If you buy a Canon DSLR, the situation is exactly the same.

    >>Hi, Tony.
    >>
    >>I think that the difference with Canon is that you can be almost 100%
    >>certain that they will still be around in a couple of years, and will have
    >>good upgrade models available to purchase.
    >>
    >>Whether the same is true for Pentax must be debatable, given their current
    >>position.
    >>
    >>The D is available at Park Cameras for £600 - but they only have a few.
    >>No-one else that I know of (apart from this single one at £450) has them
    >>in
    >>stock at all, and Pentax UK also have no stocks left. So, it's buy now,
    >>or
    >>almost certainly do without in the future - UNLESS Pentax come up with a
    >>replacement.
    >>
    >>I also take Kitt's point that, if it's good enough, it doesn't matter
    >>whether any new bodies are forthcoming - except for the fact that I'll be
    >>reluctant to add expensive lenses without a clear upgrade path.
    >>
    >>Will Pentax keep tolerating losses on their digital imaging division?,
    >>that's the question. In fact, 'will' the promised Medium Format model,
    >>mentioned by John, actually materialise?
    >>
    >>I have to say, it's at times like this that I wish I had a collection of
    >>Cannon or Nikon lenses, instead of Pentax.
    >>

    > Pop Photo thinks Pentax will come out with a 645D. I abandond my
    > pentax glass, the *ist was too small for my hands.
    >
    > How about we make a deal, I'll get you a *ist, you gett me one of
    > these to use on my Bronica?
    >
    > http://www.creo.com/global/products/digital_photography_leaf/aptus/aptus22/default
    >
    > sound okay?<<

    Not an easy thing to steal, I suspect - they're bound to have it in a locked
    glass display cabinet. There's just no fun left in shoplifting any more.

    It does look rather tasty though

    Polly Pentax, Aug 14, 2005
  13. Polly  Pentax

    John Francis Guest

    About the time the DS was released, some high-up at Pentax
    was asked about future plans. While he didn't lay out too
    much in great detail (although he did show the lens road map)
    he suggested that the next DSLR would be an even cheaper
    model (which we've now seen - the DL). Then would come a
    digital medium format body, which is already announced.

    After that (probably around the PMA 2006 timeframe) would
    be a follow-on model for the *ist-D. This will still use
    an APS-C sized sensor. Apart from that not much is known.
    Obviously it will need to be enough better than the *ist-D
    to be tempting as an upgrade. I expect 10-12MP, a faster
    and bigger buffer, and a 2.5" LCD. I also expect it to
    keep the two control wheels of the D. Some people expect
    to see the return of the aperture simulator coupling, but
    I'm not one of them. I also expect to see a battery grip
    with vertical shutter release - maybe it would even share
    the BG-1 that the D uses.

    All speculation, but I don't expect to be too wide of the mark.

    John Francis, Aug 14, 2005
  14. Polly  Pentax

    Polly Pentax Guest

    "Isaiah Beard" <> wrote in message
    > Nicholas Wittebol wrote:
    >> I find it funny that you acknowledge that you are asking for speculation,
    >> and then later discard information about a future 8, 10, 12 mp anti-shake
    >> replacement because it is just speculation...

    > What do you expect? He owns an Official Camera of the Internet[tm]. :)<

    That's the trouble with this group - every amateur comedian for miles around
    regards it as a stage from which to dazzle the audience with their fondly
    imagined wit.

    Perhaps I should have known better than to ask for advice here - I'd
    probably have better luck in an Ape house, just get a Chimp to point to a
    couple of cards, 'Buy', or 'Not Buy'.

    Polly Pentax, Aug 14, 2005
  15. Polly  Pentax

    Charles Guest

    On Sun, 14 Aug 2005 02:33:42 +0100, "Polly Pentax" <>
    wrote:

    >"Charles" <> wrote in message
    >> On Sun, 14 Aug 2005 02:08:06 +0100, "Polly Pentax" <>
    >> wrote:
    >>

    >>>"Tony Polson" <> wrote in message

    >>>Hi, Tony.
    >>>
    >>>I think that the difference with Canon is that you can be almost 100%
    >>>certain that they will still be around in a couple of years, and will have
    >>>good upgrade models available to purchase.
    >>>
    >>>Whether the same is true for Pentax must be debatable, given their current
    >>>position.
    >>>
    >>>The D is available at Park Cameras for £600 - but they only have a few.
    >>>No-one else that I know of (apart from this single one at £450) has them
    >>>in
    >>>stock at all, and Pentax UK also have no stocks left. So, it's buy now,
    >>>or
    >>>almost certainly do without in the future - UNLESS Pentax come up with a
    >>>replacement.
    >>>
    >>>I also take Kitt's point that, if it's good enough, it doesn't matter
    >>>whether any new bodies are forthcoming - except for the fact that I'll be
    >>>reluctant to add expensive lenses without a clear upgrade path.
    >>>
    >>>Will Pentax keep tolerating losses on their digital imaging division?,
    >>>that's the question. In fact, 'will' the promised Medium Format model,
    >>>mentioned by John, actually materialise?
    >>>
    >>>I have to say, it's at times like this that I wish I had a collection of
    >>>Cannon or Nikon lenses, instead of Pentax.
    >>>

    >> Pop Photo thinks Pentax will come out with a 645D. I abandond my
    >> pentax glass, the *ist was too small for my hands.
    >>
    >> How about we make a deal, I'll get you a *ist, you gett me one of
    >> these to use on my Bronica?
    >>
    >> http://www.creo.com/global/products/digital_photography_leaf/aptus/aptus22/default
    >>
    >> sound okay?<<

    >Not an easy thing to steal, I suspect - they're bound to have it in a locked
    >glass display cabinet. There's just no fun left in shoplifting any more.
    >
    >It does look rather tasty though

    Pop Photo says only $29,999. that's US of course, no VAT added yet.

    Charles, Aug 14, 2005
  16. Polly  Pentax

    Darrell Guest

    "Polly Pentax" <> wrote in message

    > Will Pentax keep tolerating losses on their digital imaging division?,
    > that's the question. In fact, 'will' the promised Medium Format model,
    > mentioned by John, actually materialise?

    I don't think Pentax said they were losing money. I believe their earning
    fell below projections, there is a difference!

    Pentax has always been a victim of their own marketing departments. They
    should follow Nikon's lead with the new D50 commercials (in Canada) very
    good commercials.

    I would like to see an *ist LX. I don't have a big wish list. I don't dream
    of a Pentax 1Ds mk.II. I get pretty good results right now with my *ist D.
    What would I like to see? Pentax has a different philosophy, so here's what
    could be interesting;

    1/. Open RAW support http://www.openraw.org and/or a firmware SDK imagine
    being able to truly customize camera functions. This could create a niche
    market for them.

    2/. Bring back and market their Pro glass, Pentax has had 200/2.8, 300/2.8,
    400/2.8. 500/4 etc. IS/VR would be good, maybe licence the Minolta AS. I
    don't know what stabilization Pentax is testing, but I would be happy to
    field (BETA) test a VR telezoom ;)

    I really enjoy my *ist D, as much as my LX. I have been a long time Pentax
    owner, bought my first real camera in 1972 a Pentax Spotmatic II.

    Darrell, Aug 14, 2005
  17. Polly  Pentax

    Ed Lowe Guest

    > "Isaiah Beard" <> wrote in message
    >> Nicholas Wittebol wrote:
    >>> I find it funny that you acknowledge that you are asking for speculation,
    >>> and then later discard information about a future 8, 10, 12 mp anti-shake
    >>> replacement because it is just speculation...

    >> What do you expect? He owns an Official Camera of the Internet[tm]. :)<

    > That's the trouble with this group - every amateur comedian for miles around
    > regards it as a stage from which to dazzle the audience with their fondly
    > imagined wit.
    >
    > Perhaps I should have known better than to ask for advice here - I'd
    > probably have better luck in an Ape house, just get a Chimp to point to a
    > couple of cards, 'Buy', or 'Not Buy'.

    Good idea.

    Ed Lowe, Aug 14, 2005
  18. Polly  Pentax

    webwald Guest

    Polly Pentax wrote:

    > So, what would you do? - chance a new body announcement?, buy the
    > *istD and know I've got a replacement if/when necessary?, or sell up
    > and go for a surer bet like Canon?

    I'd just wait for the replacement to the *istD. I think that Pentax
    will be replacing this model, otherwise their line of professional
    lenses might not have much of a market. It will certainly be
    interesting to see what they deliver. Hopefully it will be at least a
    10 MP sensor.

    --
    Witold

    webwald, Aug 14, 2005
  19. Polly  Pentax

    Kitt Guest

    Polly Pentax wrote:
> [...]

    > Hi, Tony.
    >
    > I think that the difference with Canon is that you can be almost 100%
    > certain that they will still be around in a couple of years, and will have
    > good upgrade models available to purchase.
    >
    > Whether the same is true for Pentax must be debatable, given their current
    > position.
    >
    > The D is available at Park Cameras for £600 - but they only have a few.
    > No-one else that I know of (apart from this single one at £450) has them in
    > stock at all, and Pentax UK also have no stocks left. So, it's buy now, or
    > almost certainly do without in the future - UNLESS Pentax come up with a
    > replacement.
    >
    > I also take Kitt's point that, if it's good enough, it doesn't matter
    > whether any new bodies are forthcoming - except for the fact that I'll be
    > reluctant to add expensive lenses without a clear upgrade path.

    That might even be a bright spot. Kind of an immunization from the
    "Photo Hobbyist Disease". It would force you to get the most out of a
    perfectly good camera and the lenses that go with it before you're
    tempted by the latest and greatest? ;o)

    Kitt, Aug 14, 2005
  20. Polly  Pentax

    Tony Polson Guest

    "Polly Pentax" <> wrote:

    >Hi, Tony.
    >
    >I think that the difference with Canon is that you can be almost 100%
    >certain that they will still be around in a couple of years, and will have
    >good upgrade models available to purchase.
    >
    >Whether the same is true for Pentax must be debatable, given their current
    >position.

    Pentax are in a stronger position than some.

    The digital imaging divisions of Sony and Konica Minolta are in deep
    trouble. They have announced a joint venture to co-develop DSLRs, but
    that is more a sign of their joint desperation than anything else.

    Olympus desperately needs a 10+ MP pro model to justify the top
    quality Zuiko Digital lenses. Olympus has wisely ditched Kodak,
    formerly a Four Thirds partner, for Panasonic. Olympus and Panasonic
    will shortly introduce at least three new DSLRs between them, but
    until then, the jury is out on whether Four Thirds will prosper in the
    medium to long term.

    Pentax are still making money, and can count on a great many owners of
    Pentax point and shoot film and digital cameras to trade up to a DSLR
    of the same brand.

    >The D is available at Park Cameras for £600 - but they only have a few.
    >No-one else that I know of (apart from this single one at £450) has them in
    >stock at all, and Pentax UK also have no stocks left. So, it's buy now, or
    >almost certainly do without in the future - UNLESS Pentax come up with a
    >replacement.

    You might like to refer to the review of the Pentax *ist DL in the
    issue of Amateur Photographer due out on Tuesday. The review
    concluded that the *ist DL has the best image quality of the three
    Pentax *ist DSLRs.

    >I also take Kitt's point that, if it's good enough, it doesn't matter
    >whether any new bodies are forthcoming - except for the fact that I'll be
    >reluctant to add expensive lenses without a clear upgrade path.

    Then don't add them! Just buy the kit lens, or the 18-35mm FAJ, both
    of which are cheap but more than adequate.

    >Will Pentax keep tolerating losses on their digital imaging division?,
    >that's the question. In fact, 'will' the promised Medium Format model,
    >mentioned by John, actually materialise?

    Pentax aren't losing money. Konica Minolta, Sony and Olympus are.

    >I have to say, it's at times like this that I wish I had a collection of
    >Cannon or Nikon lenses, instead of Pentax.

    On the contrary, most Pentax lenses have desirable optical qualities
    that are lacking in all but a few, mostly expensive Canon EF lenses
    and AF Nikkors. Be glad that you have them.

    My advice is; find an *ist D, or a DS, or a DL, don't pay more than
    £500, and enjoy your purchase to the full.

    Tony Polson, Aug 14, 2005