    problem? Would adding an extra 1GB ram make any noticeable
    difference? Also I removed startup programs that are not essential.
    Thanks

    lbbss, Aug 19, 2010

  2. lbbss

    Meat Plow Guest

    On Thu, 19 Aug 2010 14:45:55 -0700, lbbss wrote:

    > First off, yes I realize that a netbook is not to be compare to a
    > laptop's performance or especially a desktop. Never the less I would
    > like to improve it's performance speed. I mostly do internet surfing
    > and don't load many programs. I have a msi 1gb ram, 160gb hd, windows
    > xp. Sometimes there is a long delay on the web and this machine is
    > only a week old (not many programs on it). Just curious if the on
    > board video is the limiting factor for this problem? Would adding an
    > extra 1GB ram make any noticeable difference? Also I removed startup
    > programs that are not essential. Thanks

    It will help. i have 2 gig in my Dell 910. Running Win 7.

    Meat Plow, Aug 19, 2010

  3. lbbss

    8ball meme Guest

    thanks for your reply. So you found a noticeable difference? Xp
    does not need as much ram, so I wonder if it will make a much of a
    difference, especially for surfing. I have a strong signal, but I
    get a lag displaying some pages. I imagine loading programs will
    make a difference and when multi tasking. Anyone out there that's
    upgraded on an xp system?

    8ball meme, Aug 20, 2010
  4. lbbss

    thanatoid Guest

    lbbss <> wrote in
    oups.com:

    > First off, yes I realize that a netbook is not to be
    > compare to a laptop's performance or especially a desktop.
    > Never the less I would like to improve it's

    "its", not "it is". It's a SIMPLE RULE!

    > performance
    > speed. I mostly do internet surfing and don't load many
    > programs.

    You do, just do not know it. Microsoft is your friendly spy.

    > I have a msi 1gb ram, 160gb hd, windows xp.

    You don't need more RAM.

    > Sometimes there is a long delay on the web and this machine
    > is only a week old (not many programs on it). Just
    > curious if the on board video is the limiting factor for
    > this problem? Would adding an extra 1GB ram make any
    > noticeable difference? Also I removed startup programs
    > that are not essential.

    Windows does not clearly tell you about /everything/ that it
    runs (in an insane quest to make your life "easier" but mostly
    to help their partners in crime sell more unnecessary hardware).

    You need to Google for "improving performance XP", "disabling
    unnecessary programs and processes", etc. IOW educate yourself
    about what your machine is doing to you.

    You should also stop using IE/OE and MS Office - if you have it.
    I mean REMOVE Office TOTALLY (possible though not easy) and put
    IE/OE in your "disabled" section in the firewall settings.

    Remove all Microsoft "security" spyware and install the brand
    new Agnitum Firewall for XP (excellent) and Avira AV and
    MalwareBytes AntiMalware (all free). ESET NOD AV is better than
    Avira but $50/year. I paid it.

    That's a start.

    >Thanks

    My pleasure.

    --
    Any mental activity is easy if it need not be subjected to
    reality.

    thanatoid, Aug 20, 2010
  5. lbbss

    thanatoid Guest

    8ball meme <> wrote in
    oups.com:

    > thanks for your reply. So you found a noticeable
    > difference? Xp does not need as much ram, so I wonder if
    > it will make a much of a difference, especially for
    > surfing. I have a strong signal, but I get a lag
    > displaying some pages. I imagine loading programs will
    > make a difference and when multi tasking. Anyone out
    > there that's upgraded on an xp system?
    >
    >> It will help. i have 2 gig in my Dell 910. Running Win 7.

    Whoever said that is running Win7, a program which requires 2-4
    times more RAM than XP. They also don't know what they're
    talking about.

    thanatoid, Aug 20, 2010
  6. lbbss

    lbbss Guest

    I installed AVG, how does it compare to Avira AV, when it comes to
    resources, is it a hog? tx

    lbbss, Aug 20, 2010
  7. lbbss

    thanatoid Guest

    lbbss <> wrote in
    oups.com:

    > I installed AVG, how does it compare to Avira AV, when it
    > comes to resources, is it a hog? tx

    Probably about the same. They're both considered very good, but
    ESET is better.

    Make sure you remove or disable the Microsoft garbage, it may
    conflict with the new AV, plus it eats a LOT of resources.
    Delete all traces of it if possible, and disable the windows
    security center, and the updates. You don't /need/ **any** MS
    updates if you don't use IE/OE or MS Office. Just update your AV
    program regularly.

    The AV program is not your hog problem, all the unnecessary
    Microshit running on your machine is, plus all the temp and lost
    files which are cluttering your drive.

    thanatoid, Aug 20, 2010
  8. lbbss

    Meat Plow Guest

    On Thu, 19 Aug 2010 17:43:47 -0700, 8ball meme wrote:

    > thanks for your reply. So you found a noticeable difference? Xp does
    > not need as much ram, so I wonder if it will make a much of a
    > difference, especially for surfing. I have a strong signal, but I get
    > a lag displaying some pages. I imagine loading programs will make a
    > difference and when multi tasking. Anyone out there that's upgraded on
    > an xp system?

    I don't know what's causing your lag but more memory won't hurt the
    performance. I wouldn't run XP with anything less than 1GB RAM. My
    netbook was XP. I removed it and the 1GB DDR2 SODIMM and stuck a 2 GB
    inside and installed W7. Left me with about 1GB out of 8 free on the SDD.

    Meat Plow, Aug 20, 2010
  9. lbbss

    lbbss Guest

    Thanks Thanatoid.
    I ran msconfig for startup, disables lots of stuff. Did not see
    anything relating to MS. Will google info on how to disable the rest
    of MS mess. tx

    lbbss, Aug 21, 2010
  10. lbbss

    thanatoid Guest

    lbbss <> wrote in
    oups.com:

    > Thanks Thanatoid.
    > I ran msconfig for startup, disables lots of stuff. Did
    > not see anything relating to MS. Will google info on how
    > to disable the rest of MS mess. tx

    My pleasure. Good luck.

    I recommend you visit

    http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com

    for lots of excellent tips, tricks and info.

    thanatoid, Aug 21, 2010
  11. lbbss

    Meat Plow Guest

    On Fri, 20 Aug 2010 18:51:25 -0700, lbbss wrote:

    > Thanks Thanatoid.
    > I ran msconfig for startup, disables lots of stuff. Did not see
    > anything relating to MS. Will google info on how to disable the rest
    > of MS mess. tx

    Don't forget to partition your hard drive so you will have 20 new drive
    letters.

    Meat Plow, Aug 21, 2010