    So would anyone have any suggestions as to what kind of internet security
    I should be looking for?

    Thanks

    Peter Maurice Cram, Oct 14, 2004

  2. "Peter Maurice Cram" <> wrote in message
    > I'll be soon be buying another anti-virus program and I would like to
    > know which one is best.
    > I've always used Norton's products, but Norton slows my computer down too
    > much. I had to install 1.5 Gigs of memory in my computer so that I can
    > play certain games while Norton Security ran in the background. Yes, I
    > know I can disable the anti-virus program to obtain better performance,
    > but I have a constant connection to the internet, and wouldn't feel safe
    > doing that.
    > So would anyone have any suggestions as to what kind of internet
    > security I should be looking for?
    >
    > Thanks

    Never mind! :) I've been checking to see whats posted on this newsgroup and
    I've seen that (What virus scanner) question has already been asked. I like
    the idea of free :) but, really, is a free program (like AVG) going to a
    better job of securing a computer from viruses than a purchased one?

    Peter Maurice Cram, Oct 14, 2004

  3. Peter Maurice Cram

    Thor Guest

    > "Peter Maurice Cram" <> wrote in message
    >> I'll be soon be buying another anti-virus program and I would like to
    >> know which one is best.
    >> I've always used Norton's products, but Norton slows my computer down
    >> too much. I had to install 1.5 Gigs of memory in my computer so that I
    >> can play certain games while Norton Security ran in the background. Yes,
    >> I know I can disable the anti-virus program to obtain better performance,
    >> but I have a constant connection to the internet, and wouldn't feel safe
    >> doing that.
    >> So would anyone have any suggestions as to what kind of internet
    >> security I should be looking for?
    >>
    >> Thanks

    > Never mind! :) I've been checking to see whats posted on this newsgroup
    > and I've seen that (What virus scanner) question has already been asked. I
    > like the idea of free :) but, really, is a free program (like AVG) going
    > to a better job of securing a computer from viruses than a purchased one?

    There is no evidence that they aren't just as good in terms of detection.

    Thor, Oct 14, 2004
  4. Peter Maurice Cram

    dan Guest

    maybe the same, but now better

    dan, Oct 15, 2004
  5. Peter Maurice Cram

    Tsun Szu Guest

    I can vouch for AVG. The free edition is just as good as a purchased one. I
    had the same problem with Norton....it really steals the processing power.
    Just make sure you do updates at least once a week.

    Tsun Szu, Oct 16, 2004
  6. Peter Maurice Cram

    Thor Guest

    "Tsun Szu" <> wrote in message
    >I can vouch for AVG. The free edition is just as good as a purchased one. I
    > had the same problem with Norton....it really steals the processing power.
    > Just make sure you do updates at least once a week.

    the only disagreeable issue I saw with AVG when I tried it quite some time
    ago, was that the automatic updater feature required the user to set an
    update schedule. That was fine for people with broadband connections and who
    have their computers on all the time, or are always on during the scheduled
    update time, but for people who use their machines infequently, and on
    dialup connections, it was difficult to get reliable automatic updating from
    AVG, because the chances were that the computer wasn't up and running when
    it was supposed to check for updates. Perhaps they have improved this
    feature, I don't know. But that was the one flaw in the program that kept me
    from recommending it to customers. Most home users who do not leave their
    computers and internet connection on 24/7, require an AV program that
    periodically checks whether there is an active internet connection and
    checks for updates whenever that connection is live, rather than only on a
    fixed schedule. Norton, for all it's bloatware warts seems to do this fairly
    well, but so does the free Avast! antivirus.

    Thor, Oct 16, 2004