    http://www.pbase.com/sirchandestroy/image/60997786
    http://www.pbase.com/sirchandestroy/image/60997788
    , May 30, 2006

  2. Don Wiss Guest

    On 29 May 2006 18:25:06 -0700, wrote:

    >This afternoon saw this moth (I guess) flying around a tree in my yard

    The best place to ask is in this newsgroup: sci.bio.entomology.lepidoptera

    >http://www.pbase.com/sirchandestroy/image/60997782

    In pictures like these I'm more interested in the lens used, than the
    camera used.

    Don Wiss, May 30, 2006

  3. Cynicor Guest

    wrote:
    > This afternoon saw this moth (I guess) flying around a tree in my yard
    > that is leaking sap. From a distance, it looked like a small
    > hummingbird or one of those big wasps/hornets with the two white bands
    > around the thorax. At any rate, this one was moving like a hummingbird
    > - no fluttering, and it was very fast. It also never came fully to
    > rest - the wings were almost always going, and it was constantly
    > moving. I assume it is some sort of moth, but it sure didn't move
    > like any moth I've ever seen. Anyone know what this is:
    >
    > http://www.pbase.com/sirchandestroy/image/60997782
    > http://www.pbase.com/sirchandestroy/image/60997784
    > http://www.pbase.com/sirchandestroy/image/60997786
    > http://www.pbase.com/sirchandestroy/image/60997788

    It's a hummingbird moth. They're pretty cool, actually.

    http://www.coopext.colostate.edu/4DMG/Pests/hummingb.htm
    Cynicor, May 30, 2006
  4. Don Wiss Guest

    On 29 May 2006 18:25:06 -0700, wrote:

    >This afternoon saw this moth (I guess) flying around a tree in my yard

    And when you ask in the sci.bio.entomology.lepidoptera newsgroup you should
    state where you are located.

    Don Wiss, May 30, 2006
  5. Guest

    Don Wiss wrote:
    > On 29 May 2006 18:25:06 -0700, wrote:
    >
    > >This afternoon saw this moth (I guess) flying around a tree in my yard

    > The best place to ask is in this newsgroup: sci.bio.entomology.lepidoptera
    >
    > >http://www.pbase.com/sirchandestroy/image/60997782

    > In pictures like these I'm more interested in the lens used, than the
    > camera used.

    80-200 AF-D at 200mm w/ PK-13 27.5mm tube.
    , May 30, 2006
  6. Guest

    Cynicor wrote:
    > wrote:
    > > This afternoon saw this moth (I guess) flying around a tree in my yard
    > > that is leaking sap. From a distance, it looked like a small
    > > hummingbird or one of those big wasps/hornets with the two white bands
    > > around the thorax. At any rate, this one was moving like a hummingbird
    > > - no fluttering, and it was very fast. It also never came fully to
    > > rest - the wings were almost always going, and it was constantly
    > > moving. I assume it is some sort of moth, but it sure didn't move
    > > like any moth I've ever seen. Anyone know what this is:
    > >
    > > http://www.pbase.com/sirchandestroy/image/60997782
    > > http://www.pbase.com/sirchandestroy/image/60997784
    > > http://www.pbase.com/sirchandestroy/image/60997786
    > > http://www.pbase.com/sirchandestroy/image/60997788
    > >

    > It's a hummingbird moth. They're pretty cool, actually.
    >
    > http://www.coopext.colostate.edu/4DMG/Pests/hummingb.htm

    Thanks, man - that's exactly what it was. I had never seen one
    before...
    , May 30, 2006
  7. Bill R Guest

    wrote:

    > This afternoon saw this moth (I guess) flying around a tree in my yard
    > that is leaking sap. From a distance, it looked like a small
    > hummingbird or one of those big wasps/hornets with the two white bands
    > around the thorax. At any rate, this one was moving like a hummingbird
    > - no fluttering, and it was very fast. It also never came fully to
    > rest - the wings were almost always going, and it was constantly
    > moving. I assume it is some sort of moth, but it sure didn't move
    > like any moth I've ever seen. Anyone know what this is:
    >
    > http://www.pbase.com/sirchandestroy/image/60997782
    > http://www.pbase.com/sirchandestroy/image/60997784
    > http://www.pbase.com/sirchandestroy/image/60997786
    > http://www.pbase.com/sirchandestroy/image/60997788

    Ben,

    Post your pictures (or links to the pictures) in
    news:alt.binaries.pictures.nature and someone will be able to tell you.
    --
    Bill R. (Ohio Valley, U.S.A)

    Gardening for over 40 years

    Digital Camera - Pentax *ist DL

    Bill R, May 30, 2006
  8. J. Clarke Guest

    wrote:

    > This afternoon saw this moth (I guess) flying around a tree in my yard
    > that is leaking sap. From a distance, it looked like a small
    > hummingbird or one of those big wasps/hornets with the two white bands
    > around the thorax. At any rate, this one was moving like a hummingbird
    > - no fluttering, and it was very fast. It also never came fully to
    > rest - the wings were almost always going, and it was constantly
    > moving. I assume it is some sort of moth, but it sure didn't move
    > like any moth I've ever seen. Anyone know what this is:
    >
    > http://www.pbase.com/sirchandestroy/image/60997782
    > http://www.pbase.com/sirchandestroy/image/60997784
    > http://www.pbase.com/sirchandestroy/image/60997786
    > http://www.pbase.com/sirchandestroy/image/60997788

    Since you've already been answered with regard to the species I'll just post
    a comment here. You seldom see them because they are mostly nocturnal, but
    in some parts of the US they are (or at least 20 years ago were) quite
    common. When I lived in north Florida, at night you could shine a bright
    light on the jasmine and you'd see a dozen little eyes reflecting it,
    sphinx moths sucking nectar. A lovely example of parallel evolution to
    fill an ecological niche.

    --
    --John
    to email, dial "usenet" and validate
    J. Clarke, May 30, 2006
  9. tomm42 Guest

    wrote:
    > This afternoon saw this moth (I guess) flying around a tree in my yard
    > that is leaking sap. From a distance, it looked like a small
    > hummingbird or one of those big wasps/hornets with the two white bands
    > around the thorax. At any rate, this one was moving like a hummingbird
    > - no fluttering, and it was very fast. It also never came fully to
    > rest - the wings were almost always going, and it was constantly
    > moving. I assume it is some sort of moth, but it sure didn't move
    > like any moth I've ever seen. Anyone know what this is:
    >
    > http://www.pbase.com/sirchandestroy/image/60997782
    > http://www.pbase.com/sirchandestroy/image/60997784
    > http://www.pbase.com/sirchandestroy/image/60997786
    > http://www.pbase.com/sirchandestroy/image/60997788

    More officially known as a Sphinx Moth, if you have tomatoes watch out,
    their larva is the tomato hornworm. Big green things (some last summer
    were 4-5 inches long) that eat constantly. Thought it was nice there
    were alot around our house last summer, 'til I had to pull 50 or 60
    hornworms off our tomatoes.
    Nice set of photos, hard to find them still.

    Tom

    Tom
    tomm42, May 30, 2006
  10. HFguy Guest