    comes to maths. Does anyone have any ideas?

    Laura
    , Nov 20, 2003

  2. J.W.C Guest

    I don't think this news is suitable for that question..

    anyway question was "What type of computer"
    I don't think he could carry neither Supercomputer nor PC or Server, so I
    guess you should buy him a laptop :)
    It would be wonderful present for Christmas!

    --
    Posted by JongWoo Chung
    [MCP] _ KOREA _

    J.W.C, Nov 20, 2003

  3. chris Guest

    Im all for trying to help out anyone, but I think you may
    have better luck asking this question of people that are
    more qualified to answer it. I would have to imagine that
    some of us have no idea what Aspergers Disorder is. (me
    included) For the programs, perhaps ask his school or
    doctor. For the computer itself, I would recommend going
    to your local computer store and explaining your situation
    and seeing if they have any ideas.

    Good luck.

    chris, Nov 20, 2003
  4. In news: 073901c3af34$7b90c030$,
    <> wrote:
    > My son is 8 years old and has Aspergers Disorder. It has
    > been recommended that he use a laptop computer at school,
    > but I don't know which computer or what programmes might
    > suit him. He has an IQ of 137 and is very bright when it
    > comes to maths. Does anyone have any ideas?

    Hi Laura,

    I see that "...Clumsiness is prominent both in their articulation and gross
    motor behavior..." so you would probably want to evaluate notebook computers
    based on their weight and also what sort of pointing device is available.
    For example, my Dell Inspiron has both a "joystick" and a touch pad, as well
    as a place to plug in a mouse. However, it's quite heavy and might be
    difficult for a child to carry around. Of course, Dell has other models.
    Tablet computers are very cool in that they will accept "ink" or
    handwriting, but your son might do better with a keyboard if his fine motor
    skills aren't that great. Get the best warranty service that's offered. My
    Dell warranty even covers damage due to the accidental bumps and bruises a
    notebook computer gets.

    With a notebook computer and a wireless access point, your son could use his
    computer (and the internet) anywhere in the house. I bring mine into the
    living room and sit beside my husband as he watches sports. That way we can
    be together.

    As far as programs go, try some evaluation editions of Office and especially
    OneNote. OneNote is designed for taking notes and organizing them. You can
    even record sound as you take notes. This might be helpful when the teacher
    is explaining something new.

    I'm sorry I can't recommend any games or software specifically for children.
    I don't play games and my kids are grown up now.

    I think computers make great "friends" for those who are socially or
    emotionally withdrawn. There's always something new to try or learn about
    but the computer doesn't demand anything in return. Not only that,
    everything your son learns about computers heads him toward a saleable skill
    in the future.

    I'd post questions to the WindowsXP newsgroups and spend some time reading
    in the OneNote newsgroup on this server.

    Best of luck!

    www.cindywinegarden.com
    Cindy Winegarden, Nov 21, 2003