    modern LCD HDTV?

    What connection are important that the card needs?

    , Apr 19, 2009

  2. ftran999 Guest

    <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > I'm going to make my own DVR box out of a min-tower
    > desktop
    >
    > I haven't kept up on TV tuner card technology tho
    >
    > Can you advise good TV tuner card that has outputs for
    > modern LCD HDTV?

    I'm not sure if there's any stand alone TV tuner card that outputs video
    signals. They have inputs which accepts TV signals from antenna, cable or
    satellite. The output part is accomplished by a graphics card. Therefore
    you either want an "all in one" card such as ATI's All in Wonder or a
    seperated graphics card along with the tuner card.
    > What connection are important that the card needs?

    Make sure it has an HDMI output if your going to connect it to a HDTV.

    ftran999, Apr 20, 2009

  3. Fuzzy Logic Guest

    wrote in news::

    > I'm going to make my own DVR box out of a min-tower
    > desktop
    >
    > I haven't kept up on TV tuner card technology tho
    >
    > Can you advise good TV tuner card that has outputs for
    > modern LCD HDTV?
    >
    > What connection are important that the card needs?

    Since a lot of this will depend on information you didn't supply such as
    what type of TV signals are you planning to record (cable, digital, OTA) as
    well at the types of inputs your TV supports (VGA, S-Video, HDMI) it's
    difficult to make recommendations. I can tell you what I have and what I use
    it for.

    I am using a Hauppauge HVR-2250 to record analog signals from my cable TV
    provider. This card has two tuners so I can record two shows at once. For a
    video card I am using an ATI 3470 which has DVI out and I use a DVI-to-HDMI
    adapter to connect it up to my 46" LCD. This card supports upto 1080p
    output.

    The only cards that used to be both a TV tuner and a video card were the ATI
    All-in-Wonder series. I believe these are no longer manufactured.

    Fuzzy Logic, Apr 21, 2009