What to you think of my first competition photo?

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by schM1ck 1, Nov 14, 2006.

  1. schM1ck 1

    schM1ck 1 Guest

    Hi all -

    I just heard about the Canon online 400D competiton. I've entered a pic
    in it here:
    http://www.canon.com.au/eos400d/GalleryVote.aspx?imageid=19622 It's my
    first competition!!!

    If anyone thinks it's worthy of a vote, please do! It goes for a week
    starting today.

    Constructive comments would also be welcomed. (I use Picasa to edit, so
    it brings up noise more quickly than a professional package would).

    Many thanks,
    Mick
     
    schM1ck 1, Nov 14, 2006
    #1
    1. Advertising

  2. schM1ck 1

    Pete D Guest

    "schM1ck 1" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > Hi all -
    >
    > I just heard about the Canon online 400D competiton. I've entered a pic
    > in it here:
    > http://www.canon.com.au/eos400d/GalleryVote.aspx?imageid=19622 It's my
    > first competition!!!
    >
    > If anyone thinks it's worthy of a vote, please do! It goes for a week
    > starting today.
    >
    > Constructive comments would also be welcomed. (I use Picasa to edit, so
    > it brings up noise more quickly than a professional package would).
    >
    > Many thanks,
    > Mick
    >


    I personally am not particularly taken by it, bit busy and not particularly
    crisp. I am not very familiar with Picasa but I suspect that it is not the
    best package around to get the best from your photos.
     
    Pete D, Nov 14, 2006
    #2
    1. Advertising

  3. schM1ck 1

    Olli Guest

    schM1ck 1 wrote:


    > I just heard about the Canon online 400D competiton. I've entered a
    > pic in it here:
    > http://www.canon.com.au/eos400d/GalleryVote.aspx?imageid=19622 It's my
    > first competition!!!

    ---
    > Constructive comments would also be welcomed. (I use Picasa to edit,
    > so it brings up noise more quickly than a professional package would).


    Comment given in with positive intentions:

    This photo has got the elements to make more. Its in a way a bit halfway
    photo, it does not make the idea strongly clear. A photo must usually pint
    clearly out its idea, and the birds in foreground remain too tame for that.

    The contrasts of night look good on my LCD display. Its too easy to make a
    night scene almost photo graphics.


    Olli Orkoneva
     
    Olli, Nov 14, 2006
    #3
  4. schM1ck 1

    schM1ck 1 Guest

    Pete D wrote:
    > not particularly crisp. I am not very familiar with Picasa but I suspect that it is not the
    > best package around to get the best from your photos.


    *grin* it's not. But it's what I know. So... you play around with what
    your abilities allow you to do. I've tried PS-ing it, but I'm nowhere
    near skilled enough to bring the best elements out and make it shine.
    So I make do.

    Thanks for your thoughts Pete.

    - Mick
     
    schM1ck 1, Nov 14, 2006
    #4
  5. schM1ck 1

    schM1ck 1 Guest

    Olli wrote:
    > This photo has got the elements to make more. Its in a way a bit halfway
    > photo, it does not make the idea strongly clear. A photo must usually pint
    > clearly out its idea, and the birds in foreground remain too tame for that.
    >
    > The contrasts of night look good on my LCD display. Its too easy to make a
    > night scene almost photo graphics.
    >
    > Olli Orkoneva


    Fair enough. What elements have potential, and can I ask what you mean
    by 'tame'?

    (Should they heve been viciously devouring dolphins or whales? JK!)

    Cheers,
    - Mick
     
    schM1ck 1, Nov 14, 2006
    #5
  6. schM1ck 1 wrote:
    > Hi all -
    >
    > I just heard about the Canon online 400D competiton. I've entered a
    > pic in it here:
    > http://www.canon.com.au/eos400d/GalleryVote.aspx?imageid=19622 It's my
    > first competition!!!
    >
    > If anyone thinks it's worthy of a vote, please do! It goes for a week
    > starting today.
    >
    > Constructive comments would also be welcomed. (I use Picasa to edit,
    > so it brings up noise more quickly than a professional package would).
    >
    > Many thanks,
    > Mick


    I like to see a story and what I see is two subjects. The bridge and
    skyline is fine, nicely done. The two birds are fine. However I don't see
    a connection, rather I see competing subjects neither of which is supporting
    the other. I might have liked it better without the starcross effect and
    maybe a little closer to the birds. Then the birds might have taken control
    of the image.

    That said, the technical part of the photo (exposure contrast etc.) is
    very good and is not all that easy a subject to get it good.

    --
    Joseph Meehan

    Dia 's Muire duit
     
    Joseph Meehan, Nov 14, 2006
    #6
  7. schM1ck 1

    Olli Guest

    schM1ck 1 wrote:

    >> This photo has got the elements to make more. Its in a way a bit
    >> halfway photo, it does not make the idea strongly clear. A photo
    >> must usually pint clearly out its idea, and the birds in foreground
    >> remain too tame for that.


    > Fair enough. What elements have potential, and can I ask what you mean
    > by 'tame'?
    >
    > (Should they heve been viciously devouring dolphins or whales? JK!)


    I think that the foreground elements should be more dominating. There is
    some examples here: http://www.cameraontheroad.com/index.php?p=233 I see
    that your idea is to get both foreground and background into pic, but they
    are too equal.

    As you usually make the best photos when you make them for a specific
    purpose, you can start thinking what is the purpose of this pic. Think about
    it as an illustration for a newspaper or magazine story telling about this
    place OR the statue in foreground. If you decide what you want to tell, its
    easier to figure out how you could improve the pic.

    Think of the pic recomposed so that the statue gets higher. First 1/6 of the
    height of the pic. Then so much that it comes on the horizontal lines of the
    bridge.

    I know that my starting point can be very different of yours, since I
    comment your pics as journalist (and amateur photographer), but you can read
    my comments knowing my background.

    Olli Orkoneva
     
    Olli, Nov 14, 2006
    #7
  8. schM1ck 1

    Jack Mac Guest

    On Tue, 14 Nov 2006 12:55:00 GMT, "Joseph Meehan" <>
    wrote:

    >schM1ck 1 wrote:
    >> Hi all -
    >>
    >> I just heard about the Canon online 400D competiton. I've entered a
    >> pic in it here:
    >> http://www.canon.com.au/eos400d/GalleryVote.aspx?imageid=19622 It's my
    >> first competition!!!
    >>
    >> If anyone thinks it's worthy of a vote, please do! It goes for a week
    >> starting today.
    >>
    >> Constructive comments would also be welcomed. (I use Picasa to edit,
    >> so it brings up noise more quickly than a professional package would).
    >>
    >> Many thanks,
    >> Mick

    >
    > I like to see a story and what I see is two subjects. The bridge and
    >skyline is fine, nicely done. The two birds are fine. However I don't see
    >a connection, rather I see competing subjects neither of which is supporting
    >the other. I might have liked it better without the starcross effect and
    >maybe a little closer to the birds. Then the birds might have taken control
    >of the image.
    >
    > That said, the technical part of the photo (exposure contrast etc.) is
    >very good and is not all that easy a subject to get it good.


    Was this photo actually taken with a 300D on 1/01/1980 or does the
    date in the camera need setting?

    Jack Mac
     
    Jack Mac, Nov 14, 2006
    #8
  9. schM1ck 1

    Mike Guest

    "schM1ck 1" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > Hi all -
    >
    > I just heard about the Canon online 400D competiton. I've entered a pic
    > in it here:
    > http://www.canon.com.au/eos400d/GalleryVote.aspx?imageid=19622 It's my
    > first competition!!!
    >
    > If anyone thinks it's worthy of a vote, please do! It goes for a week
    > starting today.
    >
    > Constructive comments would also be welcomed. (I use Picasa to edit, so
    > it brings up noise more quickly than a professional package would).
    >
    > Many thanks,
    > Mick
    >



    I think you would have a very nice photo if you would remove the birds.
    When I look at your photo my eye is drawn to the lights on the bridge, the
    lights from the buildings and the reflections on the water. The birds are a
    distraction, it's like they don't belong with the rest of the scene.
     
    Mike, Nov 14, 2006
    #9
  10. schM1ck 1

    JC Dill Guest

    On 14 Nov 2006 04:26:22 -0800, "schM1ck 1" <>
    wrote:

    > I've tried PS-ing it, but I'm nowhere
    >near skilled enough to bring the best elements out and make it shine.


    I highly recommend Photoshop For Digital Photographers by Scott Kelby.
    He has editions of this book for several different Photoshop and
    Photoshop Elements versions so get the edition that matches your
    software. After I learned how to make certain edits I found many of
    my photos benefitted from those edits.

    jc

    --

    "The nice thing about a mare is you get to ride a lot
    of different horses without having to own that many."
    ~ Eileen Morgan of The Mare's Nest, PA
     
    JC Dill, Nov 14, 2006
    #10
  11. schM1ck 1

    rafe b Guest

    "schM1ck 1" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > Hi all -
    >
    > I just heard about the Canon online 400D competiton. I've entered a pic
    > in it here:
    > http://www.canon.com.au/eos400d/GalleryVote.aspx?imageid=19622 It's my
    > first competition!!!
    >
    > If anyone thinks it's worthy of a vote, please do! It goes for a week
    > starting today.



    I like it. The framing's not perfect, but if this is
    your first, I'd call it a very good start.

    Just my $0.02.


    rafe b
    www.terrapinphoto.com
     
    rafe b, Nov 14, 2006
    #11
  12. schM1ck 1

    JC Dill Guest

    On Tue, 14 Nov 2006 15:49:40 +0200, "Olli" <> wrote:

    >I think that the foreground elements should be more dominating.


    I did some quick photoshopping on this image, here is my version:

    <http://flickr.com/photos/64853284@N00/297412081/>

    Here's what I did. I duplicated the layer and set the second layer to
    the "multiply" layer blend mode. Then I created a gradient mask on
    this layer, and drew the gradient line down from the bridge railing to
    the top of the bridge. This hides the "multiply" layer from the
    railing down and exposes it for all the areas above the bridge - the
    buildings and sky.

    Darkening the night sky and intesifying the colors in the dark sky
    adds contrast and dynamics to the image. The mask leaves the water
    bright and the pelicans still have some detail, so your eye is drawn
    down to them.

    I had to redraw the mask several times. The first time I masked at
    the waterline, but I didn't like the bridge darker. The second time
    the mask was along the bridge but the top part got too dark and the
    lighting looked artificial. I found that drawing the gradient so that
    it faded right along the height of the railing gave the result I was
    looking for.

    Obviously the mask can be improved beyond the single gradient I made
    here. For instance it might be good to fade the mask a bit on the
    left side where the walkway gets too dark. Or maybe leaving it dark
    works, and perhaps the trees under the bridge should be darkened some
    as well. All of that is easily accomplished by editing on the *layer
    mask* using a paint brush with a soft edge and alternating between
    white and black - black masks (revealing the under layer, in this case
    producing a lighter and less intense section), white reveals (erases
    the "mask", revealing the upper layer with the multiply effect).

    This is an example of the type of editing trick you can learn from
    Scott Kelby's book.

    jc

    p.s. If you want me to remove my edited version, just let me know and
    I'll take it down right away. I like to leave the image up in case
    someone comes across this thread in the future (searching the
    newsgroup archives) but it's your image so it's your call.

    --

    "The nice thing about a mare is you get to ride a lot
    of different horses without having to own that many."
    ~ Eileen Morgan of The Mare's Nest, PA
     
    JC Dill, Nov 14, 2006
    #12
  13. ? "schM1ck 1" <> ?????? ??? ??????
    news:...
    > Hi all -
    >
    > I just heard about the Canon online 400D competiton. I've entered a pic
    > in it here:
    > http://www.canon.com.au/eos400d/GalleryVote.aspx?imageid=19622 It's my
    > first competition!!!
    >
    > If anyone thinks it's worthy of a vote, please do! It goes for a week
    > starting today.
    >
    > Constructive comments would also be welcomed. (I use Picasa to edit, so
    > it brings up noise more quickly than a professional package would).
    >

    I like your photo very much.
    Take care,

    --
    Tzortzakakis Dimitrios
    major in electrical engineering
    mechanized infantry reservist
    dimtzort AT otenet DOT gr
     
    Tzortzakakis Dimitrios, Nov 14, 2006
    #13
  14. schM1ck 1

    Hebee Jeebes Guest

    Its nice, but nothing I would go gaga over.

    R


    "Pete D" <> wrote in message
    news:45599694$0$28178$...
    >
    > "schM1ck 1" <> wrote in message
    > news:...
    >> Hi all -
    >>
    >> I just heard about the Canon online 400D competiton. I've entered a pic
    >> in it here:
    >> http://www.canon.com.au/eos400d/GalleryVote.aspx?imageid=19622 It's my
    >> first competition!!!
    >>
    >> If anyone thinks it's worthy of a vote, please do! It goes for a week
    >> starting today.
    >>
    >> Constructive comments would also be welcomed. (I use Picasa to edit, so
    >> it brings up noise more quickly than a professional package would).
    >>
    >> Many thanks,
    >> Mick
    >>

    >
    > I personally am not particularly taken by it, bit busy and not
    > particularly crisp. I am not very familiar with Picasa but I suspect that
    > it is not the best package around to get the best from your photos.
    >
     
    Hebee Jeebes, Nov 14, 2006
    #14
  15. schM1ck 1

    Troy Piggins Guest

    * schM1ck 1 wrote:
    > Hi all -
    >
    > I just heard about the Canon online 400D competiton. I've entered a pic
    > in it here:
    > http://www.canon.com.au/eos400d/GalleryVote.aspx?imageid=19622 It's my
    > first competition!!!
    >
    > If anyone thinks it's worthy of a vote, please do! It goes for a week
    > starting today.
    >
    > Constructive comments would also be welcomed. (I use Picasa to edit, so
    > it brings up noise more quickly than a professional package would).


    I like it a lot - but your chickens need a feed. They're all
    skin and bone.

    --
    Troy Piggins
     
    Troy Piggins, Nov 14, 2006
    #15
  16. schM1ck 1

    norven munky Guest

    "schM1ck 1" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > Hi all -
    >
    > I just heard about the Canon online 400D competiton. I've entered a pic
    > in it here:
    > http://www.canon.com.au/eos400d/GalleryVote.aspx?imageid=19622 It's my
    > first competition!!!
    >
    > If anyone thinks it's worthy of a vote, please do! It goes for a week
    > starting today.
    >
    > Constructive comments would also be welcomed. (I use Picasa to edit, so
    > it brings up noise more quickly than a professional package would).
    >
    > Many thanks,
    > Mick



    I like it as it is but then I'm from Brisbane and walk past that spot all
    the time :)

    The exif info is not intact...care to share your settings?

    Tony
     
    norven munky, Nov 15, 2006
    #16
  17. On Tue, 14 Nov 2006 09:32:52 -0800, JC Dill <> wrote:

    >I did some quick photoshopping on this image, here is my version:
    >
    ><http://flickr.com/photos/64853284@N00/297412081/>
    >
    >Here's what I did.


    Ooops! What you did is to link to a private photo.
    :)

    Cheers,
    DuncanC
     
    Duncan Chesley, Nov 15, 2006
    #17
  18. schM1ck 1

    JC Dill Guest

    On Wed, 15 Nov 2006 02:45:13 GMT, Duncan Chesley <>
    wrote:

    >On Tue, 14 Nov 2006 09:32:52 -0800, JC Dill <> wrote:
    >
    >>I did some quick photoshopping on this image, here is my version:
    >>
    >><http://flickr.com/photos/64853284@N00/297412081/>
    >>

    >Ooops! What you did is to link to a private photo.


    Oops indeed! I've fixed it. Sorry about that.

    jc

    --

    "The nice thing about a mare is you get to ride a lot
    of different horses without having to own that many."
    ~ Eileen Morgan of The Mare's Nest, PA
     
    JC Dill, Nov 15, 2006
    #18
  19. schM1ck 1

    schM1ck 1 Guest

    Olli wrote:
    > schM1ck 1 wrote:
    >
    > >> This photo has got the elements to make more. Its in a way a bit
    > >> halfway photo, it does not make the idea strongly clear. A photo
    > >> must usually pint clearly out its idea, and the birds in foreground
    > >> remain too tame for that.

    >
    > > Fair enough. What elements have potential, and can I ask what you mean
    > > by 'tame'?
    > >
    > > (Should they heve been viciously devouring dolphins or whales? JK!)

    >
    > I think that the foreground elements should be more dominating. There is
    > some examples here: http://www.cameraontheroad.com/index.php?p=233 I see
    > that your idea is to get both foreground and background into pic, but they
    > are too equal.
    >
    > As you usually make the best photos when you make them for a specific
    > purpose, you can start thinking what is the purpose of this pic. Think about
    > it as an illustration for a newspaper or magazine story telling about this
    > place OR the statue in foreground. If you decide what you want to tell, its
    > easier to figure out how you could improve the pic.
    >
    > Think of the pic recomposed so that the statue gets higher. First 1/6 of the
    > height of the pic. Then so much that it comes on the horizontal lines of the
    > bridge.
    >
    > I know that my starting point can be very different of yours, since I
    > comment your pics as journalist (and amateur photographer), but you can read
    > my comments knowing my background.
    >
    > Olli Orkoneva


    Cheers. I do find the more specific feedback you've offered 100 times
    more helpful.

    When I saw your first post I started thinking about how else it could
    have been composed. I started making my way to a similar conclusion re
    pelican hight/dominance - however (from memory) there isn't any way to
    get that type of composition unless in a boat. I will have to go back
    and see if there is another compromise - or composition!
     
    schM1ck 1, Nov 15, 2006
    #19
  20. schM1ck 1

    schM1ck 1 Guest

    Joseph Meehan wrote:
    > I like to see a story and what I see is two subjects. The bridge and
    > skyline is fine, nicely done. The two birds are fine. However I don't see
    > a connection, rather I see competing subjects neither of which is supporting
    > the other. I might have liked it better without the starcross effect and
    > maybe a little closer to the birds. Then the birds might have taken control
    > of the image. That said, the technical part of the photo (exposure contrast etc.) is
    > very good and is not all that easy a subject to get it good.


    Cheers.

    The star effect is entirely natural. F/22.0

    The only way I would have been happy with that type of shot is if I
    could still manage include a significant portion of the bridge.

    This would have required: getting close to the sculptures on a VERY
    steady boat of roughly the right height and use a 10-22mm lens (that I
    don't have). Perhaps imporbable due to the shutter length (30sec)

    But I agree. It would most likely have been a better picture,
    Composition-wise.

    Thanks for yout thoughts.
     
    schM1ck 1, Nov 15, 2006
    #20
    1. Advertising

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

It takes just 2 minutes to sign up (and it's free!). Just click the sign up button to choose a username and then you can ask your own questions on the forum.
Similar Threads
  1. John Horner
    Replies:
    5
    Views:
    569
  2. Tass
    Replies:
    13
    Views:
    1,579
    Barry Pearson
    Mar 22, 2007
  3. danbloom
    Replies:
    2
    Views:
    391
    Spamm Trappe
    Mar 2, 2009
  4. Bruce
    Replies:
    8
    Views:
    289
    Attila Jozsef
    Aug 28, 2010
  5. HocusPocus
    Replies:
    2
    Views:
    301
    Peter
    Aug 27, 2010
Loading...

Share This Page