    a good material I can get, cut in the size of the square seat and then
    stretch the fabric back over and restaple underneath?

    thanks for any advice,

    Brian, Nov 24, 2006

  2. Brian

    thanatoid Guest

    "Brian" <> wrote in
    news:yuL9h.17696$:

    > Hey all,
    >
    > I have a dining room chair that has lost most of its
    > padding in the cushion/seat due to being compressed by very
    > frequent use as an all-day chair rather than just at the
    > table.
    >
    > I'd like to remove the bottom and put some new cushioning
    > in it (without taking it and paying for an upholster to do
    > it for me), but am not sure what to use. I checked out
    > walmart but found little, and standard polyfill didn't seem
    > to be appropriate for the task
    >
    > Does anyone have any advice? Perhaps someone has done this
    > before? Is there a good material I can get, cut in the size
    > of the square seat and then stretch the fabric back over
    > and restaple underneath?
    >
    > thanks for any advice,

    I've wondered about this myself. I think polyfill is about the
    only thing available, but you can get it in different firmness's
    (strengths? firmnessesesesses?).

    I think the trick to making a good cushion is to get some of the
    multicolored hard compressed polyfill, make that the center of
    the pad (not too thick), and get some medium firmness regular
    light yellow polyfill and wrap it around cutting off excess
    etc., and COMPRESSING IT A LITTLE when putting on the fabric.

    This is my first EVER advice about reupholstering, so
    corrections as well as the usual insults and abuse are expected
    and welcomed.

    t.

    thanatoid, Nov 25, 2006

  3. Brian

    samuel Guest

    "Brian" <> wrote in

    > Hey all,
    >
    > I have a dining room chair that has lost most of its padding
    > in the cushion/seat due to being compressed by very frequent
    > use as an all-day chair rather than just at the table.
    >
    > I'd like to remove the bottom and put some new cushioning in
    > it (without taking it and paying for an upholster to do it for
    > me), but am not sure what to use. I checked out walmart but
    > found little, and standard polyfill didn't seem to be
    > appropriate for the task
    >
    > Does anyone have any advice? Perhaps someone has done this
    > before? Is there a good material I can get, cut in the size of
    > the square seat and then stretch the fabric back over and
    > restaple underneath?
    >
    > thanks for any advice,

    http://www.diynetwork.com/diy/hf_maint_repair/article/0,2037,DIY_13
    899_2276452,00.html

    samuel, Nov 25, 2006
  4. Brian

    Meat Plow Guest

    On Fri, 24 Nov 2006 23:45:34 +0000, Brian Has Frothed:

    > Hey all,
    >
    > I have a dining room chair that has lost most of its padding in the
    > cushion/seat due to being compressed by very frequent use as an all-day
    > chair rather than just at the table.
    >
    > I'd like to remove the bottom and put some new cushioning in it (without
    > taking it and paying for an upholster to do it for me), but am not sure what
    > to use. I checked out walmart but found little, and standard polyfill didn't
    > seem to be appropriate for the task
    >
    > Does anyone have any advice? Perhaps someone has done this before? Is there
    > a good material I can get, cut in the size of the square seat and then
    > stretch the fabric back over and restaple underneath?
    >
    > thanks for any advice,

    I'll send you over to alt.buzzard.rules. The group owner, Buzzard does
    chairs and couches and stuff for a living.

    COOSN-266-06-25794

    Meat Plow, Nov 25, 2006
  5. Meat Plow wrote:
    > On Fri, 24 Nov 2006 23:45:34 +0000, Brian Has Frothed:
    >

    >>Hey all,
    >>
    >>I have a dining room chair that has lost most of its padding in the
    >>cushion/seat due to being compressed by very frequent use as an all-day
    >>chair rather than just at the table.
    >>
    >>I'd like to remove the bottom and put some new cushioning in it (without
    >>taking it and paying for an upholster to do it for me), but am not sure what
    >>to use. I checked out walmart but found little, and standard polyfill didn't
    >>seem to be appropriate for the task
    >>
    >>Does anyone have any advice? Perhaps someone has done this before? Is there
    >>a good material I can get, cut in the size of the square seat and then
    >>stretch the fabric back over and restaple underneath?
    >>
    >>thanks for any advice,

    > I'll send you over to alt.buzzard.rules. The group owner, Buzzard does
    > chairs and couches and stuff for a living.

    Whotta nice guy.

    --
    God is coming soon to a planet near YOU!

    Mowe Z. Slowley, Nov 25, 2006
  6. Brian

    BuZZard Guest

    "Meat Plow" <> wrote in message
    > On Fri, 24 Nov 2006 23:45:34 +0000, Brian Has Frothed:
    >
    > > Hey all,
    > >
    > > I have a dining room chair that has lost most of its padding in the
    > > cushion/seat due to being compressed by very frequent use as an all-day
    > > chair rather than just at the table.
    > >
    > > I'd like to remove the bottom and put some new cushioning in it (without
    > > taking it and paying for an upholster to do it for me), but am not sure

    what
    > > to use. I checked out walmart but found little, and standard polyfill

    didn't
    > > seem to be appropriate for the task
    > >
    > > Does anyone have any advice? Perhaps someone has done this before? Is

    there
    > > a good material I can get, cut in the size of the square seat and then
    > > stretch the fabric back over and restaple underneath?
    > >
    > > thanks for any advice,

    > I'll send you over to alt.buzzard.rules. The group owner, Buzzard does
    > chairs and couches and stuff for a living.

    thanks buddy..
    so.. the padding thats on it is toast.. squashed... you dont want to take it
    to an upholterer.
    why?
    its a small job.. wouldn't cost that much.. and would be done right.. i
    mean.. for the
    headache of searching down the padding.. ....finding a staple gun...
    unscrewing.. or whatever.. then attaching the new padding and the new
    material.. dang.. thats worth 50 bucks...
    Thats if you want it to look nice along with the good foam or ... if its an
    old chair.. the old horse hair.. it could be refurbished..
    If you still want to do it.. go get a piece of foam.. cut it with a filet
    knife.. after making a pattern.. spray glue it in place.. bevel the edges
    with siccors.. and start stretching the fabric..
    make it look good.. or one day.. an upholsterer will laugh at your job..
    if all else fails.. just go buy a bed pillow.. and draw your boss's face on
    it...
    or someone you hate.

    BuZZard, Nov 25, 2006