    Arabic and begin with "al", which just means "the" (e.g. "Algol", "the
    demon"). So how about using those names without the "al" prefix? Gol, Tair,
    Debaran, Phard, Cyone, Ioth, Cor ...

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Jun 22, 2009

  2. Hi there,

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
    > Some guidelines from Verity Stob
    > <http://www.theregister.co.uk/2009/06/22/verity_stob_name_your_pc/>. I like
    > the reader suggestion for Burgess Shale organisms.
    >
    > Here's a slight variation on an old idea: star names have been done to death
    > <http://www.naic.edu/~gibson/starnames/starnames.html>, but many of them are
    > Arabic and begin with "al", which just means "the" (e.g. "Algol", "the
    > demon"). So how about using those names without the "al" prefix? Gol, Tair,
    > Debaran, Phard, Cyone, Ioth, Cor ...

    Name my PC? I draw the line at naming things that cannot recognise they
    have a name. A PC can be programmed to appear smart (like chess games),
    but that still relies on someone writing a program to make it that way.
    By itself its as capable of cognitive ability as a grain of sand. What
    is the point of naming something like that?

    My machine has a randomly determined hostname, that openSUSE dredged up
    during installation. Thats as close to a name as this gets. I can see
    the point of practical hostnames, like 'smtpserver1.mail.org', but to
    call the same box 'Deuteronimous' or some other poncy shit name to me
    would just be a joke.

    Kind regards,

    Chris Wilkinson, Brisbane, Australia

    Chris Wilkinson, Jun 22, 2009

  3. Lawrence D'Oliveiro

    greg Guest

    Chris Wilkinson wrote:
    > Hi there,
    >
    > Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
    >> Some guidelines from Verity Stob
    >> <http://www.theregister.co.uk/2009/06/22/verity_stob_name_your_pc/>. I like
    >> the reader suggestion for Burgess Shale organisms.
    >>
    >> Here's a slight variation on an old idea: star names have been done to death
    >> <http://www.naic.edu/~gibson/starnames/starnames.html>, but many of them are
    >> Arabic and begin with "al", which just means "the" (e.g. "Algol", "the
    >> demon"). So how about using those names without the "al" prefix? Gol, Tair,
    >> Debaran, Phard, Cyone, Ioth, Cor ...

    > Name my PC? I draw the line at naming things that cannot recognise they
    > have a name. A PC can be programmed to appear smart (like chess games),
    > but that still relies on someone writing a program to make it that way.
    > By itself its as capable of cognitive ability as a grain of sand. What
    > is the point of naming something like that?
    >
    > My machine has a randomly determined hostname, that openSUSE dredged up
    > during installation. Thats as close to a name as this gets. I can see
    > the point of practical hostnames, like 'smtpserver1.mail.org', but to
    > call the same box 'Deuteronimous' or some other poncy shit name to me
    > would just be a joke.
    >
    > Kind regards,
    >
    > Chris Wilkinson, Brisbane, Australia

    Got to remember that Lawrence do not actually have a life, it now seems
    that he is so desperate for attention he names his PC in the remote hope
    he will have a meaningful conversation with it. Truth be know he has
    named his toaster as well. But remember whatever he says is 99.9% sure
    to be a load of bunk!

    greg, Jun 22, 2009
  4. Lawrence D'Oliveiro

    Enkidu Guest

    Chris Wilkinson wrote:
    > Hi there,
    >
    > Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
    >> Some guidelines from Verity Stob
    >> <http://www.theregister.co.uk/2009/06/22/verity_stob_name_your_pc/>. I like
    >> the reader suggestion for Burgess Shale organisms.
    >>
    >> Here's a slight variation on an old idea: star names have been done to death
    >> <http://www.naic.edu/~gibson/starnames/starnames.html>, but many of them are
    >> Arabic and begin with "al", which just means "the" (e.g. "Algol", "the
    >> demon"). So how about using those names without the "al" prefix? Gol, Tair,
    >> Debaran, Phard, Cyone, Ioth, Cor ...

    > Name my PC? I draw the line at naming things that cannot recognise they
    > have a name. A PC can be programmed to appear smart (like chess games),
    > but that still relies on someone writing a program to make it that way.
    > By itself its as capable of cognitive ability as a grain of sand. What
    > is the point of naming something like that?
    >
    > My machine has a randomly determined hostname, that openSUSE dredged up
    > during installation. Thats as close to a name as this gets. I can see
    > the point of practical hostnames, like 'smtpserver1.mail.org', but to
    > call the same box 'Deuteronimous' or some other poncy shit name to me
    > would just be a joke.

    Quite right! I name my computers after their function. My firewall is
    called 'firewall'. My server is called 'debian' because it replaced one
    called 'windows'. My desktop is called.....erm, 'bumblebee'. Well, even
    the best naming plans can go astray.

    Cheers,

    Cliff

    Enkidu, Jun 22, 2009
  5. Lawrence D'Oliveiro

    AD. Guest

    On Jun 23, 9:17 am, Enkidu <> wrote:
    > Quite right! I name my computers after their function. My firewall is
    > called 'firewall'. My server is called 'debian' because it replaced one
    > called 'windows'. My desktop is called.....erm, 'bumblebee'.

    It probably just needs a fan replaced :)

    --
    Cheers
    Anton

    AD., Jun 23, 2009
  6. Hi there,

    Enkidu wrote:
    > Chris Wilkinson wrote:
    >> Hi there,
    >>
    >> Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
    >>> Some guidelines from Verity Stob
    >>> <http://www.theregister.co.uk/2009/06/22/verity_stob_name_your_pc/>.
    >>> I like the reader suggestion for Burgess Shale organisms.
    >>>
    >>> Here's a slight variation on an old idea: star names have been done
    >>> to death <http://www.naic.edu/~gibson/starnames/starnames.html>, but
    >>> many of them are Arabic and begin with "al", which just means "the"
    >>> (e.g. "Algol", "the demon"). So how about using those names without
    >>> the "al" prefix? Gol, Tair, Debaran, Phard, Cyone, Ioth, Cor ...

    >> Name my PC? I draw the line at naming things that cannot recognise they
    >> have a name. A PC can be programmed to appear smart (like chess games),
    >> but that still relies on someone writing a program to make it that way.
    >> By itself its as capable of cognitive ability as a grain of sand. What
    >> is the point of naming something like that?
    >>
    >> My machine has a randomly determined hostname, that openSUSE dredged up
    >> during installation. Thats as close to a name as this gets. I can see
    >> the point of practical hostnames, like 'smtpserver1.mail.org', but to
    >> call the same box 'Deuteronimous' or some other poncy shit name to me
    >> would just be a joke.
    >>

    > Quite right! I name my computers after their function. My firewall is
    > called 'firewall'. My server is called 'debian' because it replaced one
    > called 'windows'. My desktop is called.....erm, 'bumblebee'. Well, even
    > the best naming plans can go astray.

    Hehe! Bumblebee is at least not some pretentious omnipotent or
    'power' name.

    My laptop doesn't really have a function that takes precedence
    over anything else, so I'd actually struggle to name it after a
    task. I'll leave it with the automatic default that openSUSE gave
    it...

    Kind regards,

    Chris Wilkinson, Brisbane, Australia.
    Posting from the almighty 'linux-z25g'

    Chris Wilkinson, Jun 23, 2009
  7. Hi there,

    greg wrote:
    > Chris Wilkinson wrote:
    >> Hi there,
    >>
    >> Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
    >>> Some guidelines from Verity Stob
    >>> <http://www.theregister.co.uk/2009/06/22/verity_stob_name_your_pc/>.
    >>> I like the reader suggestion for Burgess Shale organisms.
    >>>
    >>> Here's a slight variation on an old idea: star names have been done
    >>> to death <http://www.naic.edu/~gibson/starnames/starnames.html>, but
    >>> many of them are Arabic and begin with "al", which just means "the"
    >>> (e.g. "Algol", "the demon"). So how about using those names without
    >>> the "al" prefix? Gol, Tair, Debaran, Phard, Cyone, Ioth, Cor ...

    >> Name my PC? I draw the line at naming things that cannot recognise they
    >> have a name. A PC can be programmed to appear smart (like chess games),
    >> but that still relies on someone writing a program to make it that way.
    >> By itself its as capable of cognitive ability as a grain of sand. What
    >> is the point of naming something like that?
    >>
    >> My machine has a randomly determined hostname, that openSUSE dredged up
    >> during installation. Thats as close to a name as this gets. I can see
    >> the point of practical hostnames, like 'smtpserver1.mail.org', but to
    >> call the same box 'Deuteronimous' or some other poncy shit name to me
    >> would just be a joke.

    > Got to remember that Lawrence do not actually have a life, it now seems
    > that he is so desperate for attention he names his PC in the remote hope
    > he will have a meaningful conversation with it. Truth be know he has
    > named his toaster as well. But remember whatever he says is 99.9% sure
    > to be a load of bunk!

    He easily posts more to this NG than anyone else, but looking at the
    stuff he considers post-worthy its little wonder he regurgitates so
    much turgid meaningless crap into here. No one else I've seen in
    years on this NG is as capable of delivering the drivel Lawrence
    does. Maybe he gets off on that...I know I wouldn't.

    Chris Wilkinson, Jun 23, 2009
  8. Lawrence D'Oliveiro

    EMB Guest

    Chris Wilkinson wrote:
    > Hehe! Bumblebee is at least not some pretentious omnipotent or
    > 'power' name.

    One of the servers at work is named sputnik, in honour of the 50th
    anniversary of the launch of Sputnik 1 on the day I commissioned it.

    EMB, Jun 23, 2009
  9. Lawrence D'Oliveiro

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Somewhere on teh intarwebs AD. wrote:
    > On Jun 23, 9:17 am, Enkidu <> wrote:
    >> Quite right! I name my computers after their function. My firewall is
    >> called 'firewall'. My server is called 'debian' because it replaced
    >> one called 'windows'. My desktop is called.....erm, 'bumblebee'.

    > It probably just needs a fan replaced :)

    LMAO!!
    --
    Shaun.

    ~misfit~, Jun 24, 2009
  10. Lawrence D'Oliveiro

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Somewhere on teh intarwebs Enkidu wrote:
    > Chris Wilkinson wrote:
    >> Hi there,
    >>
    >> Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
    >>> Some guidelines from Verity Stob
    >>> <http://www.theregister.co.uk/2009/06/22/verity_stob_name_your_pc/>.
    >>> I like the reader suggestion for Burgess Shale organisms.
    >>>
    >>> Here's a slight variation on an old idea: star names have been done
    >>> to death <http://www.naic.edu/~gibson/starnames/starnames.html>,
    >>> but many of them are Arabic and begin with "al", which just means
    >>> "the" (e.g. "Algol", "the demon"). So how about using those names
    >>> without the "al" prefix? Gol, Tair, Debaran, Phard, Cyone, Ioth,
    >>> Cor ...

    >> Name my PC? I draw the line at naming things that cannot recognise
    >> they have a name. A PC can be programmed to appear smart (like chess
    >> games), but that still relies on someone writing a program to make
    >> it that way. By itself its as capable of cognitive ability as a
    >> grain of sand. What is the point of naming something like that?
    >>
    >> My machine has a randomly determined hostname, that openSUSE dredged
    >> up during installation. Thats as close to a name as this gets. I can
    >> see the point of practical hostnames, like 'smtpserver1.mail.org',
    >> but to call the same box 'Deuteronimous' or some other poncy shit
    >> name to me would just be a joke.
    >>

    > Quite right! I name my computers after their function. My firewall is
    > called 'firewall'. My server is called 'debian' because it replaced
    > one called 'windows'. My desktop is called.....erm, 'bumblebee'.
    > Well, even the best naming plans can go astray.

    Mine are also fairly descriptive:

    R51
    R40
    R40-14
    Tinny (Crap case)
    Barton
    Celly
    VSC (Named after a usenet friend's comment who, after reading my parts list
    as I was making said it that it sounded like a "veritable super-computer".)
    Testbed
    Latitude
    Tui (Tualatin)

    etc. etc. etc.

    I must have a clean-out.
    --
    Shaun.

    ~misfit~, Jun 24, 2009
  11. I've been intrigued by various astrophysics terms ending with "-ar" that
    keep popping up: "quasar", "collapsar" (failed alternative to "black hole"),
    "pulsar" (done to death, I know), "magnetar", and more recently I found
    "blazar".

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Jul 2, 2009