    brands?

    regards

    PeterH

    PeterH, Aug 29, 2004

  2. PeterH

    Robertwgross Guest

    PeterH wrote:
    >I want to buy a decent tripod for my Canon 300D.
    >There seem to be many variants and types.
    >Are there any particular aspects that I should look for or particular
    >brands?

    You will get better advice if you describe what kind of photography you do.
    Studio photographers need one kind. Wildlife photographers need something
    totally different. Astronomers need something different again. Are you looking
    for long-term reliability, rock-solid stiffness even with a heavy lens, or are
    you budget minded?

    I would start by looking at the ones with three legs.

    ---Bob Gross---

    Robertwgross, Aug 29, 2004

  3. PeterH

    AstroPax Guest

    On Sun, 29 Aug 2004 04:08:01 GMT, "PeterH" <reply to
    > wrote:

    >I want to buy a decent tripod for my Canon 300D.
    >
    >There seem to be many variants and types.
    >
    >Are there any particular aspects that I should look for or particular
    >brands?

    Stability.

    Here is a good article on tripods, nikonians.org:

    http://www.nikonians.org/html/resources/jrp_faq/what_tripod/tripods_1.html

    Personally, I own a Gitzo G1327 with a Markins M20 ballhead. Rock
    solid. Here is a pic of it (105KB):

    http://www.xmission.com/~hound/astropax/temp/tripod.jpg

    Don't cheap-out...or you'll be back in a few years looking for
    something else.

    -Astro

    AstroPax, Aug 29, 2004
  4. PeterH

    PeterH Guest

    Hi Bob

    Being a keen amateur, I am after a very good sturdy, allround tripod -
    daylight and night outdoor shots and also indoor group shots.

    No studio photography.

    I currently have a "carry anywhere" Slik 500GN from many years ago but it is
    too unstable and way too small.

    I like the idea of the ball joint which I presume would allow me to quickly
    reposition the camera when shooting.

    I am budget minded as it will only be there when needed.

    What if anything is the benefit of a monopod - I see them a lot at sporting
    events?

    regards

    PeterH

    PeterH, Aug 29, 2004
  5. > I like the idea of the ball joint which I presume would allow me to
    quickly
    > reposition the camera when shooting.

    OK for lighter cameras.

    > What if anything is the benefit of a monopod - I see them a lot at

    sporting
    > events?

    Much improvement over hand-held. Can be used where tripods are not allowed.
    Easy to reposition.

    Gene Palmiter, Aug 29, 2004
  6. PeterH

    Lourens Smak Guest

    In article <x8hYc.12013$>,
    "PeterH" <reply to > wrote:

    > What if anything is the benefit of a monopod - I see them a lot at sporting
    > events?

    It takes the weight out of your hands when you have to sit or stand in
    the same position looking through your camera for an hour or more. (Like
    with a sporting event for example)

    Lourens

    Lourens Smak, Aug 29, 2004
  7. PeterH

    Robertwgross Guest

    PeterH wrote:
    >Being a keen amateur, I am after a very good sturdy, allround tripod -
    >daylight and night outdoor shots and also indoor group shots.
    >No studio photography.

    Insufficient information.

    (1) It makes a lot of difference if you have a big telephoto lens.
    (2) Some tripods only elevate to five feet or so. Others go to six feet. Some
    can lower down to almost ground level for shooting macros of flowers.
    (3) Carbon fiber tripods save a lot of carry weight, but they cost a lot more
    money.
    (4) Some tripods come with a QR mount.

    ---Bob Gross---

    Robertwgross, Aug 29, 2004
  8. PeterH

    Matt Ion Guest

    PeterH wrote:
    > I want to buy a decent tripod for my Canon 300D.
    >
    > There seem to be many variants and types.
    >
    > Are there any particular aspects that I should look for or particular
    > brands?

    One thing you really want to look for is a *photographer's* tripod, and
    not a *video* tripod. The latter tend to have poor, if any, rotational
    control (as in, rotating the camera from landscape to portrait), since
    that's not something you usually do with video cameras, and they have
    those damn tilt/lock handles sticking out the back. A good
    photographer's tripod will be just as easily adjustable in all
    directions, and should lock solidly without having to take Vise-Grips to
    any of the locking knobs.

    I also strongly recommend that if you get telescoping legs (almost a
    necessity to begin with), get ones that lock via thumbscrews, rather
    than the little flip-switches. The latter lose grip over time as they
    wear down.

    Finally, you'll probably want one with a quick-release plate - a plate
    that you can attach permanently to the camera that clips in and out of
    the tripod head easily.

    Don't worry about video-specific features like "fluid-filled heads",
    which are designed for smooth panning/tilting while filming: you want a
    head that will stay where you put it indefinitely.

    The really good systems sell tripods and heads separately - check out
    www.manfrotto.com for a good starting point.

    Matt Ion, Aug 30, 2004
  9. Peter, you seem to do general shooting, and presuming you also do macro work (my
    presumption right or wrong) and would want to get close to the ground I'll
    recommend a unit that wsa used in a workshop I took. It did a great job whether
    at ground level or up high...... BUT, it AIN'T cheap...

    The Gitzo 2220 has a centerpost that has great flexibility. Couple this tripod
    with the Acratech Ultimate Ballhead and you should be set for most normal
    work...

    I used this unit for work with a Fuji S2 and Nikon 70-200 with extension tubes
    and it was solid. I suppose if you've got a 15 pound, 1000 mm lens it might not
    suffice but for normal work it was good.......

    One of these days when I can afford it I may replace my Bogen with one of
    these...

    dperez@juno_nospam.com, Sep 1, 2004
  10. PeterH

    Guest

    It is worth looking at what was already posted (tripod)

    Original Subject: Re: What to look for in a tripod?

    AstroPax <> wrote:

    >On Sun, 29 Aug 2004 04:08:01 GMT, "PeterH" <reply to
    >> wrote:
    >
    >>I want to buy a decent tripod for my Canon 300D.
    >>
    >>There seem to be many variants and types.
    >>
    >>Are there any particular aspects that I should look for or particular
    >>brands?

    >Stability.
    >
    >Here is a good article on tripods, nikonians.org:
    >
    >http://www.nikonians.org/html/resources/jrp_faq/what_tripod/tripods_1.html
    >
    >Personally, I own a Gitzo G1327 with a Markins M20 ballhead. Rock
    >solid. Here is a pic of it (105KB):

    [snipped dead link]

    >Don't cheap-out...or you'll be back in a few years looking for
    >something else.
    >
    >-Astro

    Thanks, Astro

    Anymore good links to picking out a tripod? Currently thinking of a
    bogen 3020Bpro with a pan/tilt head. A little heavy for my digicam
    but I still have film slr's.

    Wes