    What are the present brands and models you would recomend. ?

    I am steering away from the sanyo ie Warehouse models.

    NZed.... considering buying one presently or later.
    paradise, Jan 19, 2007

  2. paradise

    Mutlley Guest

    "paradise" <nzed> wrote:

    >I read "The other guy" write up about the recording problem ...ie C4
    >
    >Has anyone bought one recently and found the best value for features ?
    >
    >Has the technology settled down and reliable ?
    >
    >What are the present brands and models you would recomend. ?
    >
    >I am steering away from the sanyo ie Warehouse models.
    >
    >NZed.... considering buying one presently or later.

    You could look at this thread.

    http://pressf1.pcworld.co.nz/showthread.php?t=75525&highlight=dvd recorder
    Mutlley, Jan 19, 2007

  3. paradise

    JohnO Guest

    Mutlley wrote:
    > "paradise" <nzed> wrote:
    >
    > >I read "The other guy" write up about the recording problem ...ie C4
    > >
    > >Has anyone bought one recently and found the best value for features ?
    > >
    > >Has the technology settled down and reliable ?
    > >
    > >What are the present brands and models you would recomend. ?
    > >
    > >I am steering away from the sanyo ie Warehouse models.
    > >
    > >NZed.... considering buying one presently or later.
    > >

    > You could look at this thread.
    >
    > http://pressf1.pcworld.co.nz/showthread.php?t=75525&highlight=dvd recorder

    I'd be interested in a HDD recorder that has a LAN port and built in
    SMB, FTP or HTTP server - so I can copy recorded files to a PC. Do any
    of them have that?
    JohnO, Jan 19, 2007
  4. paradise

    Jeremy Guest

    The Kiss brand sold by ascent.co.nz has ftp transfer I think

    Jeremy, Jan 19, 2007
  5. paradise

    JohnO Guest

    Jeremy wrote:
    > The Kiss brand sold by ascent.co.nz has ftp transfer I think
    >
    > JohnO wrote:
    > > Mutlley wrote:

    > >> You could look at this thread.
    > >>
    > >> http://pressf1.pcworld.co.nz/showthread.php?t=75525&highlight=dvd recorder

    > > I'd be interested in a HDD recorder that has a LAN port and built in
    > > SMB, FTP or HTTP server - so I can copy recorded files to a PC. Do any
    > > of them have that?

    Interesting - they are 250Gb and quite cheap.
    JohnO, Jan 19, 2007
  6. paradise

    changemymind Guest

    "paradise" <nzed> wrote in message news:45b00b3e$...
    > I read "The other guy" write up about the recording problem ...ie C4
    >
    > Has anyone bought one recently and found the best value for features ?
    >
    > Has the technology settled down and reliable ?
    >
    > What are the present brands and models you would recomend. ?
    >
    > I am steering away from the sanyo ie Warehouse models.
    >
    > NZed.... considering buying one presently or later.

    With the change over to digital tv broadcasting it is not the best time to
    buy a dvd recorder as they do not accommodate digital input transmissions at
    this stage which is a big disadvantage.
    changemymind, Jan 19, 2007
  7. paradise

    Alan Guest

    "paradise" <nzed> wrote in message news:45b00b3e$...
    >I read "The other guy" write up about the recording problem ...ie C4
    >
    > Has anyone bought one recently and found the best value for features
    > ?
    >
    > Has the technology settled down and reliable ?
    >
    > What are the present brands and models you would recomend. ?
    >
    > I am steering away from the sanyo ie Warehouse models.
    >
    > NZed.... considering buying one presently or later.

    We have had a Philips 80Gb machine for nearly two years (I think -
    difficult to remember but definately not more than two years old!)

    Anyway, it works well and is extremely reliable.

    I guess they all allow you to choose the compression / quality
    settings for each recording, but if a model didn't then that would be
    an issue.

    Also, our model can only do 3hrs of timeslip recording (seems to
    always be able to do that irrespective of how much else is on the
    disk) - if I was buying one today I would want to get at least 5 hrs I
    think.

    HTH,

    --
    Alan.

    else associated with me.

    My current valid email address is:

    email address.

    ewygchvboocno43vb674b6nq46tvb
    Alan, Jan 19, 2007
  8. paradise

    Steven Ellis Guest

    changemymind wrote:
    > "paradise" <nzed> wrote in message news:45b00b3e$...
    > > I read "The other guy" write up about the recording problem ...ie C4
    > >
    > > Has anyone bought one recently and found the best value for features ?
    > >
    > > Has the technology settled down and reliable ?
    > >
    > > What are the present brands and models you would recomend. ?
    > >
    > > I am steering away from the sanyo ie Warehouse models.
    > >
    > > NZed.... considering buying one presently or later.
    > >

    > With the change over to digital tv broadcasting it is not the best time to
    > buy a dvd recorder as they do not accommodate digital input transmissions at
    > this stage which is a big disadvantage.

    Or buy something that is DTV upgradable like myPVR

    http://www.openmedia.co.nz for details

    Steve
    Steven Ellis, Jan 19, 2007
  9. paradise

    E. Scrooge Guest

    "changemymind" <esgddf> wrote in message news:45b02533$...

    > "paradise" <nzed> wrote in message news:45b00b3e$...
    >> I read "The other guy" write up about the recording problem ...ie C4
    >>
    >> Has anyone bought one recently and found the best value for features ?
    >>
    >> Has the technology settled down and reliable ?
    >>
    >> What are the present brands and models you would recomend. ?
    >>
    >> I am steering away from the sanyo ie Warehouse models.
    >>
    >> NZed.... considering buying one presently or later.
    >>

    > With the change over to digital tv broadcasting it is not the best time to
    > buy a dvd recorder as they do not accommodate digital input transmissions
    > at
    > this stage which is a big disadvantage.

    It's hardly going to change overnight, genius.
    And for years TVNZ has trying to offer a satellite service.

    And who's to say that while you're wating that copyright restrictions won't
    become a lot tougher.
    The FREE recording of programs might end up being a thing of the past.
    You might have to pay up to record anything eventually.

    E. Scrooge
    E. Scrooge, Jan 19, 2007
  10. paradise

    E. Scrooge Guest

    "paradise" <nzed> wrote in message news:45b00b3e$...
    >I read "The other guy" write up about the recording problem ...ie C4
    >
    > Has anyone bought one recently and found the best value for features ?
    >
    > Has the technology settled down and reliable ?
    >
    > What are the present brands and models you would recomend. ?
    >
    > I am steering away from the sanyo ie Warehouse models.
    >
    > NZed.... considering buying one presently or later.

    The Sony suits me fine. Good menus with plenty of options. Due to picture
    noise reduction which is adjustable, the recording can look better than the
    live picture with any fine transmission interference being removed.
    Real time dubbing is more accurate than fast dubbing.
    The Sony doesn't have to left on standby in order to keep the right time.

    E. Scrooge
    E. Scrooge, Jan 19, 2007
  11. paradise

    Mathew Good Guest

    On Fri, 19 Jan 2007 14:56:19 +1300, "changemymind" <esgddf> wrote:

    >"paradise" <nzed> wrote in message news:45b00b3e$...
    >> I read "The other guy" write up about the recording problem ...ie C4
    >>
    >> Has anyone bought one recently and found the best value for features ?
    >>
    >> Has the technology settled down and reliable ?
    >>
    >> What are the present brands and models you would recomend. ?
    >>
    >> I am steering away from the sanyo ie Warehouse models.
    >>
    >> NZed.... considering buying one presently or later.
    >>

    >With the change over to digital tv broadcasting it is not the best time to
    >buy a dvd recorder as they do not accommodate digital input transmissions at
    >this stage which is a big disadvantage.

    Don't they have AV Inputs, I don't thing that Any DVD recorder would have a built in Digital
    decoder..
    Mathew Good, Jan 19, 2007
  12. paradise

    E. Scrooge Guest

    "Blue" <> wrote in message
    > On Fri, 19 Jan 2007 15:04:21 +1300, Alan wrote:
    >
    >> Also, our model can only do 3hrs of timeslip recording (seems to
    >> always be able to do that irrespective of how much else is on the
    >> disk) - if I was buying one today I would want to get at least 5 hrs I
    >> think.

    > So you are into watching very long movies? Or is it cricket? Olympic
    > games?
    >
    > As I understand it time slip is watching the start of a programme before
    > it is completed on air.

    That's right. While it's still recording you can start playing it back from
    the start.

    E. Scrooge
    E. Scrooge, Jan 19, 2007
  13. JohnO wrote:
    > I'd be interested in a HDD recorder that has a LAN port and built in
    > SMB, FTP or HTTP server - so I can copy recorded files to a PC. Do any
    > of them have that?

    The Panasonic DMR-E500H that I have has a LAN port, and it is possible
    to connect multiple units together and watch videos off other boxes.
    Unfortunately nobody seems to have come up with software to do this from
    a PC. There was a project, but it seems the people working on it lost
    interest.

    It does support DVD-RAM though, which allows reliable copies to the PC
    (compared to DVD-R), but obviously space is limited.

    I'll buy a hard drive PVR sometime after the FreeView service is
    launched. There seem to be plenty of them around, none of which enforce
    any copy protection as far as I can tell.

    The Other Guy
    The Other Guy, Jan 19, 2007
  14. paradise

    whome Guest

    "paradise" <nzed> wrote in message news:45b00b3e$...
    >I read "The other guy" write up about the recording problem ...ie C4
    >
    > Has anyone bought one recently and found the best value for features ?
    >
    > Has the technology settled down and reliable ?
    >
    > What are the present brands and models you would recomend. ?
    >
    > I am steering away from the sanyo ie Warehouse models.
    >
    > NZed.... considering buying one presently or later.

    Simply, do not buy one.

    Go for a hard drive recorder. I had heaps of issues with my sony dvd
    recorder, part of which was a terrible user interface, discs that fail to
    play (dvd's must be stored in the very best conditions as a single scratch
    may render your precious recording as scrap).

    I'd go for a hard drive recorder any day.
    whome, Jan 19, 2007
  15. paradise

    changemymind Guest

    "Mathew Good" <> wrote in message
    > On Fri, 19 Jan 2007 14:56:19 +1300, "changemymind" <esgddf> wrote:
    >

    > >"paradise" <nzed> wrote in message news:45b00b3e$...
    > >> I read "The other guy" write up about the recording problem ...ie C4
    > >>
    > >> Has anyone bought one recently and found the best value for features ?
    > >>
    > >> Has the technology settled down and reliable ?
    > >>
    > >> What are the present brands and models you would recomend. ?
    > >>
    > >> I am steering away from the sanyo ie Warehouse models.
    > >>
    > >> NZed.... considering buying one presently or later.
    > >>

    > >With the change over to digital tv broadcasting it is not the best time

    > >buy a dvd recorder as they do not accommodate digital input transmissions

    at
    > >this stage which is a big disadvantage.
    > >

    > Don't they have AV Inputs, I don't thing that Any DVD recorder would have

    a built in Digital
    > decoder..

    Yes they have av inputs so you can hook a digital settop box up and yes no
    nz recorder has bulit in digital decoder yet, that was my point, wait till
    they do, they are already standard overseas, I can tell you from experience
    that not having digital decoding if you want digital tv is annoying, think
    about the programming mess of a settop box and digital recorder and you will
    understand what I mean.
    changemymind, Jan 19, 2007
  16. paradise

    changemymind Guest

    "whome" <> wrote in message

    > "paradise" <nzed> wrote in message news:45b00b3e$...
    > >I read "The other guy" write up about the recording problem ...ie C4
    > >
    > > Has anyone bought one recently and found the best value for features ?
    > >
    > > Has the technology settled down and reliable ?
    > >
    > > What are the present brands and models you would recomend. ?
    > >
    > > I am steering away from the sanyo ie Warehouse models.
    > >
    > > NZed.... considering buying one presently or later.
    > >

    > Simply, do not buy one.
    >
    > Go for a hard drive recorder. I had heaps of issues with my sony dvd
    > recorder, part of which was a terrible user interface, discs that fail to
    > play (dvd's must be stored in the very best conditions as a single scratch
    > may render your precious recording as scrap).
    >
    > I'd go for a hard drive recorder any day.

    no issues with my panasonic eh55.
    changemymind, Jan 19, 2007
  17. paradise

    Peter Ashby Guest

    changemymind <esgddf> wrote:

    > "paradise" <nzed> wrote in message news:45b00b3e$...
    > > I read "The other guy" write up about the recording problem ...ie C4
    > >
    > > Has anyone bought one recently and found the best value for features ?
    > >
    > > Has the technology settled down and reliable ?
    > >
    > > What are the present brands and models you would recomend. ?
    > >
    > > I am steering away from the sanyo ie Warehouse models.
    > >
    > > NZed.... considering buying one presently or later.
    > >

    > With the change over to digital tv broadcasting it is not the best time to
    > buy a dvd recorder as they do not accommodate digital input transmissions at
    > this stage which is a big disadvantage.

    Surely that depends on how it wired into the sytem. If it is downstream
    of a digital set top box, no problem. If it is connected to a digital tv
    it entirely depends on how the scarts are wired. If the tv has a scart
    that gives video out then no problem either.

    Peter
    www.the-brights.net
    Peter Ashby, Jan 19, 2007
  18. paradise

    Jonno Guest

    "paradise" <nzed> wrote in message news:45b00b3e$...
    >I read "The other guy" write up about the recording problem ...ie C4
    >
    > Has anyone bought one recently and found the best value for features ?
    >
    > Has the technology settled down and reliable ?
    >
    > What are the present brands and models you would recomend. ?
    >
    > I am steering away from the sanyo ie Warehouse models.
    >
    > NZed.... considering buying one presently or later.

    What is wrong with the Sanyo brand from the Warehouse?
    Jonno, Jan 19, 2007
  19. paradise

    Robert Cooze Guest

    Re: What to look for if we buy a DVD hard disc recorder ?and OT

    The Other Guy wrote:
    > JohnO wrote:
    >> I'd be interested in a HDD recorder that has a LAN port and built in
    >> SMB, FTP or HTTP server - so I can copy recorded files to a PC. Do any
    >> of them have that?
    >>

    > The Panasonic DMR-E500H that I have has a LAN port, and it is possible
    > to connect multiple units together and watch videos off other boxes.
    > Unfortunately nobody seems to have come up with software to do this from
    > a PC. There was a project, but it seems the people working on it lost
    > interest.
    >
    > It does support DVD-RAM though, which allows reliable copies to the PC
    > (compared to DVD-R), but obviously space is limited.
    >
    > I'll buy a hard drive PVR sometime after the FreeView service is
    > launched. There seem to be plenty of them around, none of which enforce
    > any copy protection as far as I can tell.
    >
    > The Other Guy

    Slightly off topic I bought a DVD VCR combo unit the other day. It plays
    just about any thing file format wise that I have thrown at it, the only
    thing that is missing is a Ethernet port to pay streamed media. If I was
    to be picky.

    Robert Cooze, Jan 19, 2007
  20. paradise

    J Brockley Guest

    "paradise" <nzed> wrote in message news:45b00b3e$...
    >I read "The other guy" write up about the recording problem ...ie C4
    >
    > Has anyone bought one recently and found the best value for features ?
    >
    > Has the technology settled down and reliable ?
    >
    > What are the present brands and models you would recomend. ?
    >
    > I am steering away from the sanyo ie Warehouse models.
    >
    > NZed.... considering buying one presently or later.

    Probably best to stick to the main brands Panasonic, Sony and Pioneer which
    all have a reasonable interface and previde most of the features you'll
    likely to need. Don't know if anyone has done a serious side by side review
    of these which would be handy.
    For some reason a lot of other brands seem to have remembered nothing from
    VCR days and produce recorders lacking basic features with a crap interface.
    My first recorder a Philips was like this and this combined with poor
    rliablity means I no longer consider Philips a brand in this area.
    J Brockley, Jan 19, 2007