    better image for the money. The sales hype confuses me.

    Thanks for any advice,
    bg

    BG250, Aug 15, 2003

  2. BG250

    Dave Guest

    I would look at one actually in operation. Make sure the picture is nice
    and bright and clear and that the fan is not noisy. Noisy fans can be a
    problem in some models. This has been written up in a recent PCWorld (USA
    mag) review.

    "BG250" <> wrote in message
    > Since it will also have other uses, I'd like one that can do up to

    1024x768
    > native and 900 or more ANSI lumens. I don't need the micro size, but a

    small

    Dave, Aug 15, 2003

  3. BG250

    Chris Doran Guest

    "BG250" <> wrote in message news:<>...
    > Since it will also have other uses, I'd like one that can do up to 1024x768
    > native and 900 or more ANSI lumens. I don't need the micro size, but a small
    > one would be sufficient.
    >
    > I understand what LCD and DLP is, but I am not sure which can deliver a
    > better image for the money. The sales hype confuses me.
    >
    > Thanks for any advice,
    > bg

    Don't forget to ask the price of replacement bulbs, which can be
    horrendous -- you thought print cartridges were overpriced!!!

    Chris

    Chris Doran, Aug 16, 2003
  4. BG250

    HRosita Guest

    Hi,

    It really depends on your requirements.
    If you are going to project in a dark room, 1000 lumens is fine. If the room
    cannot be darkened completely you need higher lumens.
    According to literature I read, LCD gives better color rendition.
    Definitely look for native resolution of XGA (1024x768) or better. Of course
    the higher the native resolution, the more expensive the projector.
    Lamps are not that big an issue.
    If you treat the projector right and let the lamp cool off before you shut it
    off, it should last 1500 - 2500 hours.
    The price of lamps is about $300 which means that if you run the projector 5
    hours a day, the lamp will last about a year at least.

    Here is a fairly recent url to PC Magazine's testing of 11 projectors:

    Rosita

    HRosita, Aug 16, 2003
  5. BG250

    Hils Guest

    >Don't forget to ask the price of replacement bulbs, which can be
    >horrendous -- you thought print cartridges were overpriced!!!

    After trying several "small office" projectors for a company I was
    recently working with I bought an NEC LT150Z. XGA, 1000 lumens, *very*
    small (1.5kg) and can it display JPGs and BMPs directly from a CF card
    so you can use it without a laptop. IIRC it cost 2300ukp, though the
    point about bulbs is a good one: spares are 400ukp for a 1500h lifetime!

    BTW don't be put off by NEC's relatively poor website and publicity. If
    I needed a digital projector for my own use this is current model I'd
    get.

    --
    Hil

    Hils, Aug 16, 2003