    2003 books?

    Thanks for any and all advice,

    Jonathan

    Jonathan Roberts, Jul 16, 2006

  2. Hi Jonathan,

    Having gone through the Windows 2000 track (got as far as MCSA only) and
    then went on to the Windows 2003 track (so far MCSA but still going) I can
    answer you honestly that you MUST invest in the new books in order to start
    passing exams.

    Windows 2003 is based on Windows 2000 so a lot of the technology from one
    will apply to the other. That being said, There is no way for you to pass a
    2003 exam having studied 2000 material. The differences are just too many
    and Microsoft will very often test based on the new. Invest in the new
    books, and leave the 2000 books on your shelf as reference materials. (I am
    sure they will look as nice on your shelf as they do on mine!)

    There are some aspects of the technology that are the same. You would not
    need to buy a new book that covers DNS or IP Addressing or DHCP - you can
    still study those chapters from the 2000 books.

    As well if you are comfortable on Windows 2000 Professional you can still
    take the 070-210 exam as your desktop exam - you do not need to buy a book on
    Windows XP.

    One last thing - you are certainly not the first nor last to buy the books
    and have them sit for years. That being said you have now waited at least
    three years to start studying for your cert exams. Get going because soon
    Windows 2003 will also be old technology, and the new certs will be if not
    harder then certainly an unknown for now. Get going! :)

    Good luck and let us know how you do!

    MDG, MCSA

    =?Utf-8?B?TW9udHJlYWwgTUNTQQ==?=, Jul 17, 2006

  3. Hi Jonathan,

    =?Utf-8?B?TW9udHJlYWwgTUNTQQ==?=, Jul 17, 2006
  4. Hi Jonathan,

    =?Utf-8?B?TW9udHJlYWwgTUNTQQ==?=, Jul 17, 2006
  5. Hi Jonathan,

    =?Utf-8?B?TW9udHJlYWwgTUNTQQ==?=, Jul 17, 2006
  6. well windows server 2003 is the advanced version of windows server 2000 so
    there'll be a some modifications in the curriculum.

    =?Utf-8?B?a2FyYW4=?=, Jul 17, 2006
  7. well windows server 2003 is the advanced version of windows server 2000 so

    =?Utf-8?B?a2FyYW4=?=, Jul 17, 2006
  8. Jonathan Roberts

    Guest

    Thank you very much for this reply. I have been patiently monitoring
    this thread for a reply since I posted. I am glad I checked Google
    Groups as it seems my news server (Cox) is not giving a solid feed on
    this group and others!

    Thanks again. I appreciate your sharing your experience and
    information w/ me. I'm working on it now also. Hope to take my first
    test in August.

    Jonathan

    Montreal MCSA wrote:
    > Hi Jonathan,
    >
    > Having gone through the Windows 2000 track (got as far as MCSA only) and
    > then went on to the Windows 2003 track (so far MCSA but still going) I can
    > answer you honestly that you MUST invest in the new books in order to start
    > passing exams.
    >
    > Windows 2003 is based on Windows 2000 so a lot of the technology from one
    > will apply to the other. That being said, There is no way for you to pass a
    > 2003 exam having studied 2000 material. The differences are just too many
    > and Microsoft will very often test based on the new. Invest in the new
    > books, and leave the 2000 books on your shelf as reference materials. (I am
    > sure they will look as nice on your shelf as they do on mine!)
    >
    > There are some aspects of the technology that are the same. You would not
    > need to buy a new book that covers DNS or IP Addressing or DHCP - you can
    > still study those chapters from the 2000 books.
    >
    > As well if you are comfortable on Windows 2000 Professional you can still
    > take the 070-210 exam as your desktop exam - you do not need to buy a book on
    > Windows XP.
    >
    > One last thing - you are certainly not the first nor last to buy the books
    > and have them sit for years. That being said you have now waited at least
    > three years to start studying for your cert exams. Get going because soon
    > Windows 2003 will also be old technology, and the new certs will be if not
    > harder then certainly an unknown for now. Get going! :)
    >
    > Good luck and let us know how you do!

    > MDG, MCSA
    >

    > "Jonathan Roberts" wrote:
    >
    > > Hello all,
    > >
    > > I am looking for advice from folks familiar with the Windows 2000 track
    > > books from Sybex. I bought the set a number of years but never got to use
    > > them very much. I am now gearing up for the MCSE Windows 2003 exams. Will
    > > these books still be useful, or would I do better selling them and getting
    > > 2003 books?
    > >
    > > Thanks for any and all advice,
    > >
    > > Jonathan

    , Jul 20, 2006