What to do with old RMA's?

Discussion in 'Cisco' started by jin, May 10, 2004.

  1. jin

    jin Guest

    What to do about old RMA's

    Greetings.

    As an added responsibility in my workplace I was just given the
    responsibility of taking care of the RMA's at my location. I work for
    a small to medium telecom company that is a result of several mergers
    and a couple of acquisitions.

    Prior to this being assisgned to me there was no one individual
    responsible for making sure that the RMA's were actually sent back to
    the vendor. As a result, there is a "pile of stuff" that didn't get
    sent back with some of it being 3+ years old. Most, if not all are
    pieces of equipment that was sent to us to repair or replace a failed
    component and the responsible tech was supposed to send the failed
    component back to the manufacutrer (Cisco, Lucent and Nokia to name a
    few).

    A couple of the othe Techs brought up the following:

    1. Since the RMA's are so old we were probably charged for the
    equipment when we didn't send it back so then it would belong to the
    "company."

    2. Even if it was sent back we wouldn't receive credit for it anyway
    since it is so old.

    My question is, if the above is true can I just dispose of the stuff
    by throwing it out? Or, any other advice on what to do with this
    stuff?

    jin, May 10, 2004

  2. jin

    IBNFSHN Guest

    Most vendors require RMA's to be sent back within 30 days. Sounds like to me
    you inherited a bunch of junk. I assume its bad if you have a RMA for it.u

    --
    Bill
    Chesapeake, Va

    IBNFSHN, May 10, 2004

  3. jin

    Tax Johnson Guest

    "jin" <> wrote in message
    > What to do about old RMA's
    >

    > Greetings.
    >
    > As an added responsibility in my workplace I was just given the
    > responsibility of taking care of the RMA's at my location. I work for
    > a small to medium telecom company that is a result of several mergers
    > and a couple of acquisitions.
    >
    > Prior to this being assisgned to me there was no one individual
    > responsible for making sure that the RMA's were actually sent back to
    > the vendor. As a result, there is a "pile of stuff" that didn't get
    > sent back with some of it being 3+ years old. Most, if not all are
    > pieces of equipment that was sent to us to repair or replace a failed
    > component and the responsible tech was supposed to send the failed
    > component back to the manufacutrer (Cisco, Lucent and Nokia to name a
    > few).
    >
    > A couple of the othe Techs brought up the following:
    >
    > 1. Since the RMA's are so old we were probably charged for the
    > equipment when we didn't send it back so then it would belong to the
    > "company."
    >
    > 2. Even if it was sent back we wouldn't receive credit for it anyway
    > since it is so old.
    >

    > My question is, if the above is true can I just dispose of the stuff
    > by throwing it out? Or, any other advice on what to do with this
    > stuff?

    I almost always send the RMA's back immediately, but the few times I didn't,
    I got nasty-grams from Cisco. But, it's been at least 2 years since I got
    one of them.

    Sell the stuff on eBay... (mention that it's broken, though)

    Tax Johnson, May 10, 2004
  4. jin

    jin Guest

    "Tax Johnson" <> wrote in message news:<lAPnc.15117$-kc.rr.com>...
    > "jin" <> wrote in message
    > > What to do about old RMA's
    > >

    > > Greetings.
    > >
    > > As an added responsibility in my workplace I was just given the
    > > responsibility of taking care of the RMA's at my location. I work for
    > > a small to medium telecom company that is a result of several mergers
    > > and a couple of acquisitions.
    > >
    > > Prior to this being assisgned to me there was no one individual
    > > responsible for making sure that the RMA's were actually sent back to
    > > the vendor. As a result, there is a "pile of stuff" that didn't get
    > > sent back with some of it being 3+ years old. Most, if not all are
    > > pieces of equipment that was sent to us to repair or replace a failed
    > > component and the responsible tech was supposed to send the failed
    > > component back to the manufacutrer (Cisco, Lucent and Nokia to name a
    > > few).
    > >
    > > A couple of the othe Techs brought up the following:
    > >
    > > 1. Since the RMA's are so old we were probably charged for the
    > > equipment when we didn't send it back so then it would belong to the
    > > "company."
    > >
    > > 2. Even if it was sent back we wouldn't receive credit for it anyway
    > > since it is so old.
    > >

    > > My question is, if the above is true can I just dispose of the stuff
    > > by throwing it out? Or, any other advice on what to do with this
    > > stuff?

    > I almost always send the RMA's back immediately, but the few times I didn't,
    > I got nasty-grams from Cisco. But, it's been at least 2 years since I got
    > one of them.
    >
    > Sell the stuff on eBay... (mention that it's broken, though)

    A couple of the pieces are Cisco and were supposed to be returned to
    them on the RMA 2 1/2 years ago. I guess I would like to find out who
    owns them before I do anything. Does my company own them or does
    Cisco? Did we get charged for them when we didn't return them under
    the original RMA?

    Thanks

    jin, May 11, 2004
  5. jin

    Hansang Bae Guest

    In article <>,
    says...
    > A couple of the pieces are Cisco and were supposed to be returned to
    > them on the RMA 2 1/2 years ago. I guess I would like to find out who
    > owns them before I do anything. Does my company own them or does
    > Cisco? Did we get charged for them when we didn't return them under
    > the original RMA?

    Their policy is to charge for non-returned RMA. Whether they follow up
    with it or not is anyones guess.

    --

    hsb

    Hansang Bae, May 12, 2004
  6. jin

    jin Guest

    Hansang Bae <> wrote in message news:<>...
    > In article <>,
    > says...
    > > A couple of the pieces are Cisco and were supposed to be returned to
    > > them on the RMA 2 1/2 years ago. I guess I would like to find out who
    > > owns them before I do anything. Does my company own them or does
    > > Cisco? Did we get charged for them when we didn't return them under
    > > the original RMA?

    > Their policy is to charge for non-returned RMA. Whether they follow up
    > with it or not is anyones guess.
    >
    > --
    >
    > hsb
    >
    > "Somehow I imagined this experience would be more rewarding" Calvin
    > *************** USE ROT13 TO SEE MY EMAIL ADDRESS ****************
    > Due to the volume of email that I receive, I may not not be able to
    > reply to emails sent to my account. Please post a followup instead.

    Thanks. I would also guess that Cisco would charge for all non
    returned RMA's. Otherwise, not much stuff would ever get back to them.

    Because this stuff did not get returned 2 1/2 years ago I'll bet that
    we got charged for the non return. Not sure how I could verify that
    though.

    Imagine, Cisco getting the revenue for 2 pieces of identical equipment
    when only 1 works!!!

    Now, what do I do with this non returned stuff?

    jin, May 13, 2004
  7. jin

    Dmitri Guest

    The original manufacturer of this hardware is the one who technically owns
    it. However, if they did not bother you all this time, they probably don't
    want to mess around with it anymore or, as you correctly assumed, your
    company was already charged for all this hardware. In this case a visit to
    your accounts payables should notmally resolve the question. I would keep
    it for another year just to make sure it is off their books. in the
    meantime, the hardware may have memory and other (removeable) useful
    stuff. Just make this fact known to your engineers... ;-)

    --
    Dmitri Abaimov, RCDD
    http://www.cabling-design.com
    jin wrote:

    > Hansang Bae <> wrote in message
    >> In article
    >> <>,
    >> says...
    >> > A couple of the pieces are Cisco and were supposed to be
    >>> returned to
    >> > them on the RMA 2 1/2 years ago. I guess I would like to find
    >>> out who
    >> > owns them before I do anything. Does my company own them or
    >>> does
    >> > Cisco? Did we get charged for them when we didn't return them
    >>> under
    >> > the original RMA?

    >> Their policy is to charge for non-returned RMA. Whether they
    >> follow up
    >> with it or not is anyones guess.
    >>
    >> --
    >>
    >> hsb
    >>
    >> "Somehow I imagined this experience would be more
    >> rewarding" Calvin
    >> *************** USE ROT13 TO SEE MY EMAIL ADDRESS
    >> ****************

    >> Due to the volume of email that I receive, I may not not be able
    >> reply to emails sent to my account. Please post a followup
    >> instead.

    > Thanks. I would also guess that Cisco would charge for all non
    > returned RMA's. Otherwise, not much stuff would ever get back to them.

    > Because this stuff did not get returned 2 1/2 years ago I'll bet that
    > we got charged for the non return. Not sure how I could verify that
    > though.

    > Imagine, Cisco getting the revenue for 2 pieces of identical equipment
    > when only 1 works!!!

    > Now, what do I do with this non returned stuff?

    http://www.cabling-design.com/forum
    no-spam read and post WWW interface to your favorite newsgroup - comp.dcom.sys.cisco,comp.dcom.telecom.tec

    Dmitri, May 17, 2004
  8. > Prior to this being assisgned to me there was no one individual
    > responsible for making sure that the RMA's were actually sent back to
    > the vendor. As a result, there is a "pile of stuff" that didn't get
    > sent back with some of it being 3+ years old.

    As a general rule, Cisco wants back old RMAs. At the very least, Cisco will
    ensure that the product is refurbished, reused, or disposed in an
    enviromentally safe (ISO 14001 compliant) manner. As for the charges, it is
    hard to say how that all worked out. If you have the RMA numbers, it is
    possible the customer service can look them up to see how the accounts were
    settled. Since it is more than one fiscal year ago, it is unlikely that
    either company would want to go through the trouble to make whatever
    adjustment is needed... but you never know! Chances are it is not worth the
    effort to settle out.

    If option 'B' is to throw them in the dumpster, you should send them back
    instead. The RMA paperwork should also have information on how to arrange a
    Federal Express freight-collect pickup.

    Phillip Remaker, May 18, 2004