what to do with corrupted SD card ?

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by =?iso-8859-1?B?bWlubmVz+HR0aQ==?=, Nov 23, 2006.

  1. Hi there,

    Half a year ago I bought a no-name SD card via eBay from Singapore (2
    GB, 133x/80x read/write speed, manufacturer "Magu").

    Couple of months ago, my camera (Panasonic LX1) gave a writing error,
    and I could not snap pictures anymore. I turned the camera off, then
    on. After this procedure, the camera wrote pictures, and I never had
    problems with the card since.

    Few days ago, I ran the SD card through "Disk Checker" (on my Windows
    PC) which can be downloaded from the Internet. The Disk Checker
    reported that about a quarter of sectors (clusters) was "bad". I
    formatted the card using the camera, then ran the SD card through Disk
    Checker again. There were the same bad sectors present. That was
    strange. I had no problems with writing/reading files from the card.

    So I snapped the pictures and wrote them into the SD card until it was
    full. There were no writing problems. I presume that if some sectors
    were bad, the camera would not be able to write to them, and gave me
    the error. Or, when I am using the camera to write the files to the SD
    card, the controller on the SD card finds that the sector is "bad", and
    does not write to there ?

    The return policy is not favourable. I think I prefer to mark the bad
    clusters as bad using the software, and keep using the card. I am
    curious if this "marking" disappears when the card is formatted.

    I would appreciate hearing from you.

    =?iso-8859-1?B?bWlubmVz+HR0aQ==?=, Nov 23, 2006

  2. By using some disk utility software you should be able to map out the bad
    sectors. They may even already be mapped out but your disk checker software
    is simply doing a low level verification of the sectors and reporting the
    bad ones even though they are mapped out.

    It shouldn't be a problem, but if it bugs you, 2GB SD cards are very
    inexpensive now - under $30 for branded standard speed one (your LX1 isn't
    going to benefit greatly from a very fast card unless you want to shoot very
    long continuous shooting sequences). A high pseed SanDisk Ultra III is now
    under $50.

    Ian

    Digital Photography Now
    http://dpnow.com

    *** Extra 40MB of storage space on DPNow's free photo gallery until the end
    of November, don't miss it while it's there! http://galleries.dpnow.com

    Digital Photography Now, Nov 23, 2006

  3. =?iso-8859-1?B?bWlubmVz+HR0aQ==?=

    Mike Russell Guest

    > Hi there,
    >
    > Half a year ago I bought a no-name SD card via eBay from Singapore (2
    > GB, 133x/80x read/write speed, manufacturer "Magu").
    >
    > Couple of months ago, my camera (Panasonic LX1) gave a writing error,
    > and I could not snap pictures anymore. I turned the camera off, then
    > on. After this procedure, the camera wrote pictures, and I never had
    > problems with the card since.
    >
    > Few days ago, I ran the SD card through "Disk Checker" (on my Windows
    > PC) which can be downloaded from the Internet. The Disk Checker
    > reported that about a quarter of sectors (clusters) was "bad". I
    > formatted the card using the camera, then ran the SD card through Disk
    > Checker again. There were the same bad sectors present. That was
    > strange. I had no problems with writing/reading files from the card.
    >
    > So I snapped the pictures and wrote them into the SD card until it was
    > full. There were no writing problems. I presume that if some sectors
    > were bad, the camera would not be able to write to them, and gave me
    > the error. Or, when I am using the camera to write the files to the SD
    > card, the controller on the SD card finds that the sector is "bad", and
    > does not write to there ?
    >
    > The return policy is not favourable. I think I prefer to mark the bad
    > clusters as bad using the software, and keep using the card. I am
    > curious if this "marking" disappears when the card is formatted.
    >
    > I would appreciate hearing from you.

    It seems to me that the only errors you are encountering are those found by
    the PC's disk checker utility, specifically when it writes and reads
    individual sectors. If this is the case, and the camera does not encounter
    errors when writing, and the images are read OK on the PC, this is a
    non-problem.

    Possibly there is a timing issue with your PC's card reader. As DPN says,
    these large cards are very inexpensive now - get another one, and if it
    shows similar errors, I bet the problem is with the card reader, and not the
    card.
    --

    Mike Russell
    www.curvemeister.com/forum/

    Mike Russell, Nov 23, 2006
  4. =?iso-8859-1?B?bWlubmVz+HR0aQ==?=

    Mike Fields Guest

    > Hi there,
    >
    > Half a year ago I bought a no-name SD card via eBay from Singapore (2
    > GB, 133x/80x read/write speed, manufacturer "Magu").
    >
    > Couple of months ago, my camera (Panasonic LX1) gave a writing error,
    > and I could not snap pictures anymore. I turned the camera off, then
    > on. After this procedure, the camera wrote pictures, and I never had
    > problems with the card since.
    >
    > Few days ago, I ran the SD card through "Disk Checker" (on my Windows
    > PC) which can be downloaded from the Internet. The Disk Checker
    > reported that about a quarter of sectors (clusters) was "bad". I
    > formatted the card using the camera, then ran the SD card through Disk
    > Checker again. There were the same bad sectors present. That was
    > strange. I had no problems with writing/reading files from the card.
    >
    > So I snapped the pictures and wrote them into the SD card until it was
    > full. There were no writing problems. I presume that if some sectors
    > were bad, the camera would not be able to write to them, and gave me
    > the error. Or, when I am using the camera to write the files to the SD
    > card, the controller on the SD card finds that the sector is "bad",
    > and
    > does not write to there ?

    You say there were "no writing problems", however, did you
    look at the pictures and see if any of them were corrupted??
    It may be it writes to the card but does not verify the write.
    It may also be the formatting has already accounted for those
    sectors -- when you select all the pictures on the card when
    it is "full" does it total close to the 2 gig of the card or some
    significantly lesser amount ??? (indicating the bad "sectors" have
    already been accounted for)

    mikey

    Mike Fields, Nov 23, 2006
  5. =?iso-8859-1?B?bWlubmVz+HR0aQ==?=

    Jer Guest

    Mike Fields wrote:

    > "minnesøtti" <> wrote in message
    >> Hi there,
    >>
    >> Half a year ago I bought a no-name SD card via eBay from Singapore (2
    >> GB, 133x/80x read/write speed, manufacturer "Magu").
    >>
    >> Couple of months ago, my camera (Panasonic LX1) gave a writing error,
    >> and I could not snap pictures anymore. I turned the camera off, then
    >> on. After this procedure, the camera wrote pictures, and I never had
    >> problems with the card since.
    >>
    >> Few days ago, I ran the SD card through "Disk Checker" (on my Windows
    >> PC) which can be downloaded from the Internet. The Disk Checker
    >> reported that about a quarter of sectors (clusters) was "bad". I
    >> formatted the card using the camera, then ran the SD card through Disk
    >> Checker again. There were the same bad sectors present. That was
    >> strange. I had no problems with writing/reading files from the card.
    >>
    >> So I snapped the pictures and wrote them into the SD card until it was
    >> full. There were no writing problems. I presume that if some sectors
    >> were bad, the camera would not be able to write to them, and gave me
    >> the error. Or, when I am using the camera to write the files to the SD
    >> card, the controller on the SD card finds that the sector is "bad", and
    >> does not write to there ?
    >>

    > You say there were "no writing problems", however, did you
    > look at the pictures and see if any of them were corrupted??
    > It may be it writes to the card but does not verify the write.
    > It may also be the formatting has already accounted for those
    > sectors -- when you select all the pictures on the card when
    > it is "full" does it total close to the 2 gig of the card or some
    > significantly lesser amount ??? (indicating the bad "sectors" have
    > already been accounted for)
    >
    > mikey

    PC disk utilities often look at the FCB table to learn the drive
    translations, including bad track map. Initially, the bad track map is
    simply included in the sector report, and recovery of the bad tracks can
    be attempted, but ill advised.

    I had a 2g Lexar CF card with a bad track map, and I attempted to
    recover the bad tracks, some of which were successful. My KM7D now sees
    a 3.1g CF card and adjusts the predicted image counts accordingly. So,
    I've presumed some of the "bad tracks" were marked bad to render it's
    retail size and price.

    Smallish cards today may have been intended to be larger cards, but
    failed sectors discovered in lo-level formatting by the manufacturer
    rendered the retail label and price. The idea of a manufacturing line
    for each size card seems crazy, likely the smaller sizes are the result
    of tests with varying amounts of bad sectors.

    Or, I could be totally confused and my experience is simply a fluke in
    the overall scheme of things - which is likely to be normal around here.

    --
    jer
    email reply - I am not a 'ten'

    Jer, Nov 23, 2006
  6. =?iso-8859-1?B?bWlubmVz+HR0aQ==?=

    Mike Fields Guest

    "Jer" <> wrote in message
    Mike Fields wrote:

    > "minnesøtti" <> wrote in message
    >> Hi there,
    >>
    >> Half a year ago I bought a no-name SD card via eBay from Singapore (2
    >> GB, 133x/80x read/write speed, manufacturer "Magu").
    >>
    >> Couple of months ago, my camera (Panasonic LX1) gave a writing error,
    >> and I could not snap pictures anymore. I turned the camera off, then
    >> on. After this procedure, the camera wrote pictures, and I never had
    >> problems with the card since.
    >>
    >> Few days ago, I ran the SD card through "Disk Checker" (on my Windows
    >> PC) which can be downloaded from the Internet. The Disk Checker
    >> reported that about a quarter of sectors (clusters) was "bad". I
    >> formatted the card using the camera, then ran the SD card through
    >> Disk
    >> Checker again. There were the same bad sectors present. That was
    >> strange. I had no problems with writing/reading files from the card.
    >>
    >> So I snapped the pictures and wrote them into the SD card until it
    >> was
    >> full. There were no writing problems. I presume that if some sectors
    >> were bad, the camera would not be able to write to them, and gave me
    >> the error. Or, when I am using the camera to write the files to the
    >> SD
    >> card, the controller on the SD card finds that the sector is "bad",
    >> and
    >> does not write to there ?
    >>

    > You say there were "no writing problems", however, did you
    > look at the pictures and see if any of them were corrupted??
    > It may be it writes to the card but does not verify the write.
    > It may also be the formatting has already accounted for those
    > sectors -- when you select all the pictures on the card when
    > it is "full" does it total close to the 2 gig of the card or some
    > significantly lesser amount ??? (indicating the bad "sectors" have
    > already been accounted for)
    >
    > mikey

    PC disk utilities often look at the FCB table to learn the drive
    translations, including bad track map. Initially, the bad track map is
    simply included in the sector report, and recovery of the bad tracks can
    be attempted, but ill advised.

    I had a 2g Lexar CF card with a bad track map, and I attempted to
    recover the bad tracks, some of which were successful. My KM7D now sees
    a 3.1g CF card and adjusts the predicted image counts accordingly. So,
    I've presumed some of the "bad tracks" were marked bad to render it's
    retail size and price.

    Smallish cards today may have been intended to be larger cards, but
    failed sectors discovered in lo-level formatting by the manufacturer
    rendered the retail label and price. The idea of a manufacturing line
    for each size card seems crazy, likely the smaller sizes are the result
    of tests with varying amounts of bad sectors.

    Hey, that takes me back a number of years. Back in the days of
    CP/M, I had a 32k memory board that used special versions of
    the 4116 dynamic memory chips (the 4116 was 16k by 1). These
    chips were 4115-4x where "x" was either a 1 or 2 if I remember
    correctly -- they were 4116 chips with either the top half or bottom
    half bad. You jumpered your board to use the appropriate half of
    the chip. Come to think of it, I probably still have that board with
    32k bytes of memory on it downstairs in a box. 32k (yes k) was
    HUGE back then !!!

    mikey

    Mike Fields, Nov 23, 2006