    need to get this dam computer fixed so the kid will stop calling me. Thanks
    for any help provided.
    DAVE

    David Scovil, Mar 4, 2004

  2. David Scovil

    David Scovil Guest

    Sorry for leaving this part out but I already tried putting a PCI video card
    in it and the same thing happened. I haven't checked out yet but is there a
    jumper or something to disable the builtin video or no?? I have the computer
    at my house and I am using my known working monitor. Sorry for leaving this
    detail out. One added note I didn't think anything was wrong with the
    harddrive I just want to format it and start over fresh. I was to positive
    what had been previously installed.My motto is nothing important on the
    drive format. Probably shouldn't do it this way but I just feel I safe
    myself time in the long run. Thanks.

    "PMK" <> wrote in message

    > "David Scovil" <> wrote in message
    > > I am trying to fix a Compaq Presario 7360. The dam thing seems to turn

    on
    > > but won't switch the the monitor on. I removed the harddrive and looked

    at
    > > it in my computer on the second IDE channel as a slave drive.

    > I too have a 7360 in my shop right now (putting in a new HD & Win2000 on

    it)
    > so I may be able to give you a couple of pointers.
    >
    > I suspect that you have either a bad monitor/cable or video display in the
    > computer. First, check the pins in the VGA connector for breakage and for
    > proper power being supplied to the monitor. Also check the controls on

    the
    > front for the brightness being turned down too low to see anything. You
    > should be getting something on the monitor even without a hard drive in

    the
    > system. As the system goes through POST, you will see COMPAQ displayed in
    > big red letters on the monitor. If you don't see this, try swapping the
    > kid's monitor with one you know that is good. You can also test the kid's
    > monitor by putting it on a known good computer. This will narrow it down

    > the monitor or the video display.
    >
    > If the video display is bad you will have to replace it with a PCI video
    > card as the video on the 7360 is integrated on the motherboard. I checked
    > in the BIOS and there seems to be no way to turn it off so I doubt that

    the
    > kid got in there by accident and did something to disable it .
    >
    > (Just trying
    > > to include everything I did.) It seemed fine to me had 2 partitions one

    > was
    > > the recovery partition. I decided to format the first partition to save
    > > myself time of reinstalling the hardddrive and find nothing working

    again.
    > > Just figured it had a virus or something and would just reinstall cough
    > > cough Windows 98. What the kid wants back on it. What should I attempt

    > do
    > > next. I'm thinking I should unplug all the ide devices and see if it

    boots
    > > that way and just have the floppy with a startup disk. Also somebody had
    > > installed a cd-burner but it was working fine. I tried to get as much

    info
    > > out of the kid as I could like what where u installing or had the

    computer
    > > been kicked or dropped or something. But he said nothing to his

    knowledge
    > > had happened to it. I will answer questions as fast as possible. I

    really
    > > need to get this dam computer fixed so the kid will stop calling me.

    > Thanks
    > > for any help provided.
    > > DAVE

    > From your initial description, I doubt that there is anything wrong with

    the
    > hard drive. You can set the boot order of the devices by entering the
    > system BIOS - if you ever can get a display on the monitor, wait for the
    > flashing rectangle in the upper right corner and press F10. There is an
    > option on one of menus to set the boot order for floppy, CD and hard

    drive.

    David Scovil, Mar 5, 2004