What to Call Dimdows 7?

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Oct 9, 2008.

  1. There's been a lot of speculation as to what the official product name of
    the next version of Dimdows will be. It seems pretty clear that the "Vista"
    name will be dropped, because of all the bad associations that's generated.

    So what will be the name? I think it's time to drop "Windows" as well. That
    was something dreamt up back in Microsoft's more geeky days, when they
    realize they had to put together a GUI product to look good next to Apple.
    It's getting on to a quarter of a century old, so time for a change.

    You've got to have something that sounds vaguely good, yet not stand out too
    much, because otherwise you run the risk of offending someone somewhere.
    Kind of like a typical Dimdows error message, really.

    So I'm thinking, for the consumer versions, how about "Microsoft User
    Experience"? Like "Microsoft User Experience 2009 Holiday Season Edition"?
    Also available as "Microsoft User Experience Family Value Economy Edition"?
    With "Microsoft User Experience Enhanced Entertainment Booster Pack"?

    For business versions, something more serious-sounding: "Microsoft Support
    Platform"? "Microsoft Deployment Platform"? "Microsoft Applications
    Infrastructure"? "Microsoft Corporate Enterprise Implementation
    Architecture"? "Microsoft Systems Concept Architecture"?

    Any of that make you feel like sticking your finger down your throat?
    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Oct 9, 2008

  2. Lawrence D'Oliveiro

    Tony in Oz Guest

    > There's been a lot of speculation as to what the official product name of
    > the next version of Dimdows will be. It seems pretty clear that the
    > "Vista"
    > name will be dropped, because of all the bad associations that's
    > generated.
    >
    > So what will be the name? I think it's time to drop "Windows" as well.
    > That
    > was something dreamt up back in Microsoft's more geeky days, when they
    > realize they had to put together a GUI product to look good next to Apple.
    > It's getting on to a quarter of a century old, so time for a change.
    >
    > You've got to have something that sounds vaguely good, yet not stand out
    > too
    > much, because otherwise you run the risk of offending someone somewhere.
    > Kind of like a typical Dimdows error message, really.
    >
    > So I'm thinking, for the consumer versions, how about "Microsoft User
    > Experience"? Like "Microsoft User Experience 2009 Holiday Season Edition"?
    > Also available as "Microsoft User Experience Family Value Economy
    > Edition"?
    > With "Microsoft User Experience Enhanced Entertainment Booster Pack"?
    >
    > For business versions, something more serious-sounding: "Microsoft Support
    > Platform"? "Microsoft Deployment Platform"? "Microsoft Applications
    > Infrastructure"? "Microsoft Corporate Enterprise Implementation
    > Architecture"? "Microsoft Systems Concept Architecture"?
    >
    > Any of that make you feel like sticking your finger down your throat?

    Apparently its being called "Vienna" from what I heard the other day in
    an IT shop
    Tony in Oz, Oct 9, 2008

  3. Lawrence D'Oliveiro

    Will Spencer Guest

    On Thu, 09 Oct 2008 21:31:12 +1300, Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:

    > There's been a lot of speculation as to what the official product name of
    > the next version of Dimdows will be. It seems pretty clear that the "Vista"
    > name will be dropped, because of all the bad associations that's generated.
    >
    > So what will be the name? I think it's time to drop "Windows" as well. That
    > was something dreamt up back in Microsoft's more geeky days, when they
    > realize they had to put together a GUI product to look good next to Apple.
    > It's getting on to a quarter of a century old, so time for a change.
    >
    > You've got to have something that sounds vaguely good, yet not stand out too
    > much, because otherwise you run the risk of offending someone somewhere.
    > Kind of like a typical Dimdows error message, really.
    >
    > So I'm thinking, for the consumer versions, how about "Microsoft User
    > Experience"? Like "Microsoft User Experience 2009 Holiday Season Edition"?
    > Also available as "Microsoft User Experience Family Value Economy Edition"?
    > With "Microsoft User Experience Enhanced Entertainment Booster Pack"?
    >
    > For business versions, something more serious-sounding: "Microsoft Support
    > Platform"? "Microsoft Deployment Platform"? "Microsoft Applications
    > Infrastructure"? "Microsoft Corporate Enterprise Implementation
    > Architecture"? "Microsoft Systems Concept Architecture"?
    >
    > Any of that make you feel like sticking your finger down your throat?

    The official name will be "Microsoft Windows Victorious".

    -ws
    Will Spencer, Oct 9, 2008
  4. In message <>, thing2 wrote:

    > Will Spencer wrote:
    >
    >> The official name will be "Microsoft Windows Victorious".

    > ah the triumph of make believe over reality then....

    "Microsoft People's Republic of Glorious Vanquishment of our Enemies"
    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Oct 10, 2008
  5. In message <gckfgg$vcf$>, Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:

    > There's been a lot of speculation as to what the official product name of
    > the next version of Dimdows will be. It seems pretty clear that the
    > "Vista" name will be dropped, because of all the bad associations that's
    > generated.

    OK, it's officially going to be called "Windows 7". This in spite of the
    fact that its version number is actually 6.1
    <http://blogs.zdnet.com/Bott/?p=569>.

    Wouldn't you say that's deliberately trying to mislead customers?
    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Oct 16, 2008