What they think of Preddy

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Mick Sterbs, May 24, 2004.

  1. Mick Sterbs

    Mick Sterbs Guest

    I quote from the Sigma SLR Talk forum at dpreview.com (in a thread called
    Ken Rockwell's D70 review just drives me mad!!!):

    "Alas, GP (alias for sg) has poisoned the well leaving no room for
    reasonable discussion"

    "Know thine enemy. This is complicated because there are *two* major
    enemies: Preddy and those who oppose him. Preddy has demonstrated he is a
    liar; you need to keep your arguments separate from his or you will be
    guilty by association. Honestly, in r.p.d., anything positive you say about
    the SD-series will initially be assumed to be from yet another Preddy
    personality."

    "If George Preddy really is gung ho about the Foveon and SD10 I wish he'd
    stick to what he knows. His posting of his misunderstanding of the
    technology only succeeds in making himself sound like an idiot. However, if
    he likes the SD10, he certainly isn't a complete one!"
    "I frequent another forum where there really is a troll who goes by the
    handle 'GP' but he is more technically savvy than George Preddy so perhaps
    it's a coincidence?"

    Hmmmm.....

    Are we close to identifying Georgette I wonder?

    Mick Sterbs, May 24, 2004

  2. Mick Sterbs

    Thad Guest

    Mick Sterbs wrote:

    > Hmmmm.....
    >
    > Are we close to identifying Georgette I wonder?

    He aint from Korea or Texas, that's for sure. The 'George Preddy'
    character was obviously created by an RPD regular..(one of the most
    outspoken Preddy-bashers)..compare range of posting hours, obsessive
    qualities, and others factors....which of the top Preddy-bashers appears
    to be as obsessed with Preddy as Preddy is with Foveon?).

    There was an attempt to name a certain "Steve R. Giovenella" as the real
    man behind "George Preddy", but a little research shows that Steve R.
    Giovenella is the name of yet another military pilot..

    http://members.aol.com/rsacchi001/gulf/ground.html (see "A Strike at
    Belgrade")

    Thad, May 24, 2004

  3. Mick Sterbs

    Thad Guest

    Thad, May 24, 2004
  4. Mick Sterbs

    gsum Guest

    George is a highly articulate troll who knows exactly which buttons
    to press to spin people but I can't imagine that many of us take
    him sufficiently seriously for it to have any impression on Sigma's sales.

    You're right about 'guilt by assosiation'. Many posts are over critical
    of Sigma as they are in response to GPs attacks. Most of us would
    probably agree that Sigma gear is reasonable given the limitations
    imposed by its lower price when compared to Canon or Nikon.

    Graham

    gsum, May 24, 2004
  5. Mick Sterbs

    Tony Spadaro Guest

    Sigma is not enough lower in price to make up for the poor construction. I
    never recommend that one buy poorly made junk - especially poorly made junk
    that is going to cost more in the long run.

    --
    http://www.chapelhillnoir.com
    home of The Camera-ist's Manifesto

    Tony Spadaro, May 24, 2004
  6. Mick Sterbs

    Searching_ut Guest

    "Thad" <> wrote

    > There was an attempt to name a certain "Steve R. Giovenella" as the real
    > man behind "George Preddy", but a little research shows that Steve R.
    > Giovenella is the name of yet another military pilot..

    It's easy to quickly discount "George" being Steve R. Giovenella. Once I did
    a quick check however, I pretty much changed my mind on that issue.

    Scan back on SG's posts, especially those in the Amiga forums and you'll
    find he often claims to be a military pilot, and has at least some knowledge
    of aircraft. The knowledge could have been obtained almost anywhere and SG
    isn't known for being factual, but when coupled with the ISP data he uses to
    make the posts, it makes you wonder. Seems to match the locations where
    Steve R. Giovenella is assigned during those time periods.

    Check some of the assorted Amiga websites, again, ISP geographic areas match
    and you'll also find that the e-mail address the individual uses is a real
    e-mail address for Steve R. Giovenella, as you can verify in several places
    such as:

    http://www.usafa88.com/email_names.asp?Lname=G

    That's just a real quick and dirty overview some of the data available. From
    what I've seen, if it really isn't Steve making the posts, it's someone with
    a lot of computer skill going to great lengths to make it appear to be
    Steve. It would also have to be someone with the perseverance to stick to
    the fakery for many years.

    For what it's worth

    Jeff

    Searching_ut, May 24, 2004
  7. Mick Sterbs

    DJ Guest

    On Mon, 24 May 2004 11:21:59 +0100, "gsum" <> wrote:

    >George is a highly articulate troll who knows exactly which buttons
    >to press to spin people but I can't imagine that many of us take
    >him sufficiently seriously for it to have any impression on Sigma's sales.

    I imagine he's had a significant impact on Sigma sales - negative.

    >You're right about 'guilt by assosiation'. Many posts are over critical
    >of Sigma as they are in response to GPs attacks. Most of us would
    >probably agree that Sigma gear is reasonable given the limitations
    >imposed by its lower price when compared to Canon or Nikon.

    Not after George's rants!

    DJ, May 25, 2004
  8. "gsum" <> wrote in message

    <snip>

    > You're right about 'guilt by assosiation'. Many posts are over critical
    > of Sigma as they are in response to GPs attacks. Most of us would
    > probably agree that Sigma gear is reasonable given the limitations
    > imposed by its lower price when compared to Canon or Nikon.

    The Sigma SD9 & SD10 are not taken seriously by an photographer, pro,
    amateur, or consumer, and the reviews of these cameras have sufficiently
    informed the public about the issues of noise, resolution, etc.. "George"
    probably hasn't hurt sales by his lies, since they are so transparent.

    Where he _may_ have had some small impact is in hurting Sigma's bread and
    butter lens business. Prior to all these threads, I believe that many people
    viewed Sigma lenses as less expensive alternatives to Canon and Nikon
    lenses, sacrificing a little optical and build quality in exchange for a
    lower price. These threads have re-confirmed these beliefs, but they added a
    critical new piece of information that many people were not aware of--the
    incompatibility of many Sigma lenses with newer Canon bodies. Any Canon
    owner reading these threads would be extremely wary of purchasing Sigma
    lenses, especially because you usually have to buy them sight-unseen from
    on-line retailers. And Canon has the lions share of the digital SLR market
    at this time.

    Whether it was "George's" intention to damage Sigma in this way is unknown.
    It is unclear what his motivation has been. He may have a grudge against
    Sigma, he may be a Canon stockholder, he may have some relationship to
    Foveon.

    Steven M. Scharf, May 25, 2004
  9. Re: What I think of Me

    Im a jerk im a jerk im a jerk im a jerk
    ok Canon - Nikon Rule sd10 is no better than D 70

    Georgey Predy, May 25, 2004
  10. Re: What I think of Me

    Georgey Predy, May 25, 2004
  11. Mick Sterbs

    Linda_N Guest

    "Steven M. Scharf" <> wrote in message

    > Whether it was "George's" intention to damage Sigma in this way is

    unknown.
    > It is unclear what his motivation has been. He may have a grudge against
    > Sigma, he may be a Canon stockholder, he may have some relationship to
    > Foveon.

    I suspect people put as much weight in what GP says as they do in trolls
    writing drivel like that above that implies the world of billions of
    consumers is in this newsgroup reading their posts, let alone that any one
    individual with or without a questionable motive could actually control
    stocks in such a calculated fashion.

    More people on the Internet feel that newsgroups are nothing more than a
    bunch of misinformation by a bunch of people who have no lives outside the
    monitor...

    Linda

    Linda_N, May 25, 2004
  12. "Linda_N" <> wrote in message
    > I suspect people put as much weight in what GP says as they do in trolls
    > writing drivel like that above that implies the world of billions of
    > consumers is in this newsgroup reading their posts, let alone that any one
    > individual with or without a questionable motive could actually control
    > stocks in such a calculated fashion.
    >
    > More people on the Internet feel that newsgroups are nothing more than a
    > bunch of misinformation by a bunch of people who have no lives outside the
    > monitor...

    Actually George did have a direct effect on me in terms of Sigma. I was
    considering a wide-angle lens for my Canon EOS-5, and Sigma was one of the
    ones in the running because the Canon was so darn expensive. The responses
    to George's rantings led me to investigate further, and I found that there
    were significant compatibility problems with some Sigma lenses, especially
    on the EOS-5/A2E. So in a way, George saved me from Sigma!

    Steven M. Scharf, May 25, 2004
  13. Mick Sterbs

    > "Linda_N" <> wrote in message
    > > I suspect people put as much weight in what GP says as they do in trolls
    > > writing drivel like that above that implies the world of billions of
    > > consumers is in this newsgroup reading their posts, let alone that any

    one
    > > individual with or without a questionable motive could actually control
    > > stocks in such a calculated fashion.
    > >
    > > More people on the Internet feel that newsgroups are nothing more than a
    > > bunch of misinformation by a bunch of people who have no lives outside

    the
    > > monitor...

    > Actually George did have a direct effect on me in terms of Sigma. I was
    > considering a wide-angle lens for my Canon EOS-5, and Sigma was one of the
    > ones in the running because the Canon was so darn expensive. The responses
    > to George's rantings led me to investigate further, and I found that there
    > were significant compatibility problems with some Sigma lenses, especially
    > on the EOS-5/A2E. So in a way, George saved me from Sigma!

    Fair enough, and a valid statement since it speaks of what you know, your
    personal experience.

    For me, when I first started coming here I knew nothing of Sigma lenses, or
    Tamron, or.... I knew of Canon and Nikon, most of which are far above my
    hobbiest budget limits. The debates brought to my attention other brand
    names that would save me 'the hobbiest' a lot of money while still offering
    good image quality.

    Trolls goading GP (and not giving an inch on anything he says...some of
    which has merit) only led me to the realization that some in this group will
    give false or scewed information to prove themselves right over GP, which is
    exactly what they are accusing him of. They are as blinded to objectivity
    as they claim he is. They are, however, as is George, still useful for
    getting a heads up on what options are available to me so I can do research
    from objective, and reliable sources of information, and decide whether the
    Sigma, Tamron etc.. savings will give me ample image quality while saving a
    nice sum.

    Linda

    Linda_N, May 25, 2004
  14. Mick Sterbs

    Skip M Guest

    "Linda_N" <> wrote in message
    > "Steven M. Scharf" <> wrote in message
    > >
    > > "Linda_N" <> wrote in message
    > > > I suspect people put as much weight in what GP says as they do in

    trolls
    > > > writing drivel like that above that implies the world of billions of
    > > > consumers is in this newsgroup reading their posts, let alone that any

    > one
    > > > individual with or without a questionable motive could actually

    control
    > > > stocks in such a calculated fashion.
    > > >
    > > > More people on the Internet feel that newsgroups are nothing more than

    > > > bunch of misinformation by a bunch of people who have no lives outside

    > the
    > > > monitor...

    > > Actually George did have a direct effect on me in terms of Sigma. I was
    > > considering a wide-angle lens for my Canon EOS-5, and Sigma was one of

    the
    > > ones in the running because the Canon was so darn expensive. The

    > > to George's rantings led me to investigate further, and I found that

    there
    > > were significant compatibility problems with some Sigma lenses,

    especially
    > > on the EOS-5/A2E. So in a way, George saved me from Sigma!
    > >

    > Fair enough, and a valid statement since it speaks of what you know, your
    > personal experience.
    >
    > For me, when I first started coming here I knew nothing of Sigma lenses,

    or
    > Tamron, or.... I knew of Canon and Nikon, most of which are far above my
    > hobbiest budget limits. The debates brought to my attention other brand
    > names that would save me 'the hobbiest' a lot of money while still

    offering
    > good image quality.
    >
    > Trolls goading GP (and not giving an inch on anything he says...some of
    > which has merit) only led me to the realization that some in this group

    will
    > give false or scewed information to prove themselves right over GP, which

    is
    > exactly what they are accusing him of. They are as blinded to objectivity
    > as they claim he is. They are, however, as is George, still useful for
    > getting a heads up on what options are available to me so I can do

    research
    > from objective, and reliable sources of information, and decide whether

    the
    > Sigma, Tamron etc.. savings will give me ample image quality while saving

    > nice sum.
    >
    > Linda

    One of the biggest problems with tiffs like the Preddy vs. everybody else
    thing is that neither side tolerates any common ground between the two. If
    "George" had presented the Foveon/Sigma as an alternative to the Canon
    10D/Nikon D70, and admitted there were shortcomings and strengths on both
    sides, it would have engendered an interesting discussion from which all
    might be able to learn something. And it wouldn't have lasted this long.
    But his posts are calculated to get the strongest possible reaction in order
    to get attention, and prolonging the dispute prolongs the attention he's
    getting. In a way, he's hijacked the entire group, since anyone who has had
    a problem with either a Sigma or Canon product is cautious about saying so,
    for fear of giving cannon (no pun intended) fodder to one side or the other.
    To say, though, that some of what George says has merit is to give too much
    credit, since his claims are so over the top it is nearly impossible to
    separate the wheat from the chaff.

    --
    Skip Middleton
    http://www.shadowcatcherimagery.com

    Skip M, May 25, 2004
  15. "Mick Sterbs" <> wrote in message news:<>...
    > I quote from the Sigma SLR Talk forum at dpreview.com (in a thread called
    > Ken Rockwell's D70 review just drives me mad!!!):
    >
    > "Alas, GP (alias for sg) has poisoned the well leaving no room for
    > reasonable discussion"

    Gee, you posted that there and then you found that there. How
    interesting. You can't win on quality (Canon image quality absolutely
    stinks), so you resort to these childish games. Stick to posting
    0.2MP images from your 6MP (monochrome) blurry Canon DSLR.

    Georgette Preddy, May 26, 2004
  16. Show us one of YOUR Sigma pictures, Georgia-Georgy
    Girl-Georgette-George-Gory Georgy-Georgy Porgy-Preddy Boy!
    I want to see how Sigma photos taken by a "pro" such as
    yourself can knock the socks off Bayer based images.
    tap-tap-tap-tap-tap...I'm waiting...

    dave

    Bay Area Dave, May 26, 2004
  17. > Trolls goading GP (and not giving an inch on anything he says...some of
    > which has merit) only led me to the realization that some in this group will
    > give false or scewed information to prove themselves right over GP, which is
    > exactly what they are accusing him of. They are as blinded to objectivity
    > as they claim he is. They are, however, as is George, still useful for
    > getting a heads up on what options are available to me so I can do research
    > from objective, and reliable sources of information, and decide whether the
    > Sigma, Tamron etc.. savings will give me ample image quality while saving a
    > nice sum.

    Nothing Preddy says has merit. He consistently lies about cameras he
    does not own, images he has not created, and clients he has not sold
    them to.

    As for 3rd party lenses, I guess some people are satisfied with
    mediocrity.

    Randall Ainsworth, May 26, 2004
  18. Mick Sterbs

    Mick Sterbs Guest

    > > I quote from the Sigma SLR Talk forum at dpreview.com (in a thread

    called
    > > Ken Rockwell's D70 review just drives me mad!!!):
    > >
    > > "Alas, GP (alias for sg) has poisoned the well leaving no room for
    > > reasonable discussion"

    > Gee, you posted that there and then you found that there. How
    > interesting. You can't win on quality (Canon image quality absolutely
    > stinks), so you resort to these childish games. Stick to posting
    > 0.2MP images from your 6MP (monochrome) blurry Canon DSLR.

    You poor sad fool. I have nothing to say in any Schmegma forum, but I
    thought it would be interesting to take a look to see what your peers
    thought about you. I wasn't disappointed to find that even other Schmegma
    owners think you're a pathetic liar who has done nothing but damage
    Schmegma's reputation as well as making youself look like an idiot.

    Talking about quality (Were we? I think not, but hey), I think we all loved
    your photograph (as brought to our attention by chibitul recently) which
    really really showed what the combination of Preddy and one of these
    wonderful cameras can produce. For those who missed that thread, here's a
    link to some of our dear friend Mr Preddy's best work:
    http://www.pbase.com/image/29304545

    I think those of us who doubted dear Georgy's abilities, or those of this
    most excellent camera, should eat our words - you only need to look at the
    clarity, sharpness and true to life colour of that picture, framed and
    composed in what is obviously Georgy's pro studio, and then you can't help
    but switch tracks and start respecting Mr George. I further believe that
    when George talks of selling his work for big money, surely this picture
    must be one of his best sellers, and will probably be found in homes across
    the globe.

    Mr Preddy, we're convinced ....... that you're a cretin. Now slope off back
    to the Amiga forum or wherever the hell it is that you are equally highly
    respected.

    Mick Sterbs, May 26, 2004
  19. Mick Sterbs

    Skip M Guest

    "Randall Ainsworth" <> wrote in message
    > > Trolls goading GP (and not giving an inch on anything he says...some of
    > > which has merit) only led me to the realization that some in this group

    will
    > > give false or scewed information to prove themselves right over GP,

    which is
    > > exactly what they are accusing him of. They are as blinded to

    objectivity
    > > as they claim he is. They are, however, as is George, still useful for
    > > getting a heads up on what options are available to me so I can do

    research
    > > from objective, and reliable sources of information, and decide whether

    the
    > > Sigma, Tamron etc.. savings will give me ample image quality while

    saving a
    > > nice sum.

    > Nothing Preddy says has merit. He consistently lies about cameras he
    > does not own, images he has not created, and clients he has not sold
    > them to.
    >
    > As for 3rd party lenses, I guess some people are satisfied with
    > mediocrity.

    See, this is part of what I was talking about. Not all 3rd party lenses are
    mediocre, even Sigma makes some decent ones. For instance, the Sigma 70-200
    f2.8 EX etc. rates the same 4.02 at PhotoZone as the Canon 70-200 f2.8L, yet
    costs about 1/2. The Tamron 28-75 f2.8 LD XR rates a 4.14 vs the Canon
    24-70 f2.8L at 4.16, so there are good lenses out there for less than the
    OEM prices. Yes, there are things you give up, like IS, but GP has so
    polarized the group, no one wants to talk about it. And now that I've kill
    filed him in most of his permutations, I don't have to read his distortions
    of what I just said...

    Skip M, May 26, 2004
  20. Mick Sterbs

    YoYo Guest