    Browse over to Slingshot to find for $49.95 I could get a 25 gig cap (tolls
    with Slingshot. What did I miss. Something that looks too good to be true
    generally has a hook in it somewhere.
    Bryan, Oct 28, 2006

  2. Bryan

    EMB Guest

    Bryan wrote:

    > I am currently with Ihug and pay $49.95 for 5 plus 10 gig cap, 3.5MB speed
    > (tolls with Ihug)
    > Ihug new deal for same price, full download speed and only 10 gig cap
    > (tolls with Ihug. This plan seems a step backwards to me.

    I think it's actually worse than that, it appears to be line rental and
    tolls with ihug now.

    --
    EMB
    EMB, Oct 28, 2006

  3. Bryan

    Crains Guest

    Bryan wrote:
    > Have I got this right.
    > I am currently with Ihug and pay $49.95 for 5 plus 10 gig cap, 3.5MB
    > speed (tolls with Ihug)
    > Ihug new deal for same price, full download speed and only 10 gig cap
    > (tolls with Ihug. This plan seems a step backwards to me.
    > Browse over to Slingshot to find for $49.95 I could get a 25 gig cap
    > (tolls with Slingshot. What did I miss. Something that looks too good
    > to be true generally has a hook in it somewhere.

    Don't think you missed anything.. Ihug is by far the worst ISP with the new
    plans IMO.
    Crains, Oct 28, 2006
  4. Bryan

    Zipper Guest

    EMB wrote:
    > Bryan wrote:
    >
    >> I am currently with Ihug and pay $49.95 for 5 plus 10 gig cap, 3.5MB
    >> speed (tolls with Ihug)
    >> Ihug new deal for same price, full download speed and only 10 gig cap
    >> (tolls with Ihug. This plan seems a step backwards to me.

    > I think it's actually worse than that, it appears to be line rental and
    > tolls with ihug now.

    Slingshot are looking pretty awesome really.
    I am just waiting to hear from someone on the FS/FS plans to see how
    their speeds are.
    Zipper, Oct 28, 2006
  5. Bryan

    whome Guest

    "Bryan" <> wrote in message
    > Have I got this right.
    > I am currently with Ihug and pay $49.95 for 5 plus 10 gig cap, 3.5MB speed
    > (tolls with Ihug)
    > Ihug new deal for same price, full download speed and only 10 gig cap
    > (tolls with Ihug. This plan seems a step backwards to me.
    > Browse over to Slingshot to find for $49.95 I could get a 25 gig cap
    > (tolls
    > with Slingshot. What did I miss. Something that looks too good to be true
    > generally has a hook in it somewhere.

    The job of telcos/internet providers is to obfuscate and confuse - just
    check out the speech theresa made a while ago.

    With internet connections you need to know the following-

    Upload/download absolute speeds
    Data usage Cap
    Over-Cap action - throttle/charge per mb etc..
    Latency
    Contention ratio - how many people share the bandwidth
    Traffic management/shaping policies (ie, telecoms fair use).
    Quality of service - how often do you actually get full speed, and , does
    the service have good up time.
    Price
    Additional services - newsgroups/email/fixed ip etc..
    Support / Faults - how good is their support and faults resolution.

    Now, how often do telcos specify all of the above?
    whome, Oct 28, 2006
  6. Bryan

    Miguel Guest

    Bryan wrote:

    > Have I got this right.
    > I am currently with Ihug and pay $49.95 for 5 plus 10 gig cap, 3.5MB speed
    > (tolls with Ihug)
    > Ihug new deal for same price, full download speed and only 10 gig cap
    > (tolls with Ihug. This plan seems a step backwards to me.
    > Browse over to Slingshot to find for $49.95 I could get a 25 gig cap (tolls
    > with Slingshot. What did I miss. Something that looks too good to be true
    > generally has a hook in it somewhere.

    Hate to say this.........last Friday my brother changed from his $59.95
    Xtra Adventure plan (FS/FS 10 GB cap) to the new $49.95 Xtra Go Large
    plan (FS/128 No Cap).

    He was moved to the new plan pretty much straight away.

    Two days later and he's downloaded nearly 4 GB and was getting
    reasonably good speeds. Dropped to little more than dial-up speeds
    during their advertised peak period (cos he forgot to set his scheduler
    to limit his download speed) but apart from that no problems.

    Saves himself $10 a month and has no cap.

    I hope it all goes wrong for him :) cos I'm paying $20 a month more
    with Actrix and am capped to 1 GB per day at 2MB/128

    Give it a month and then I'll see how he's doing. Would hate to leave
    Actrix but when I spoke to the Actrix helpdesk last week they said
    Actrix didn't see the Go Large plan as feasible and weren't too worried
    about it (to paraphrase)

    Regards
    Miguel
    Miguel, Oct 28, 2006
  7. Bryan

    MaHogany Guest

    On Sat, 28 Oct 2006 19:41:20 +1300, whome wrote:

    > The job of telcos/internet providers is to obfuscate and confuse - just
    > check out the speech theresa made a while ago.
    >
    > With internet connections you need to know the following-
    >
    > Upload/download absolute speeds
    > Data usage Cap
    > Over-Cap action - throttle/charge per mb etc..
    > Latency
    > Contention ratio - how many people share the bandwidth
    > Traffic management/shaping policies (ie, telecoms fair use).
    > Quality of service - how often do you actually get full speed, and , does
    > the service have good up time.
    > Price
    > Additional services - newsgroups/email/fixed ip etc..
    > Support / Faults - how good is their support and faults resolution.
    >

    > Now, how often do telcos specify all of the above?

    They don't advertise the complete set of specifications.

    In fact, Telecom only reluctantly admitted it's contention ratio when
    questioned on TV.

    Ma Hogany

    --
    "The average user doesn't know what he wants. The average user wants
    fries with that, if prompted."
    MaHogany, Oct 28, 2006
  8. Bryan

    Vista Guest

    "Miguel" <> wrote in message
    > Bryan wrote:
    >
    >> Have I got this right.
    >> I am currently with Ihug and pay $49.95 for 5 plus 10 gig cap, 3.5MB
    >> speed
    >> (tolls with Ihug)
    >> Ihug new deal for same price, full download speed and only 10 gig cap
    >> (tolls with Ihug. This plan seems a step backwards to me.
    >> Browse over to Slingshot to find for $49.95 I could get a 25 gig cap
    >> (tolls
    >> with Slingshot. What did I miss. Something that looks too good to be true
    >> generally has a hook in it somewhere.

    > Hate to say this.........last Friday my brother changed from his $59.95
    > Xtra Adventure plan (FS/FS 10 GB cap) to the new $49.95 Xtra Go Large
    > plan (FS/128 No Cap).
    >
    > He was moved to the new plan pretty much straight away.
    >
    > Two days later and he's downloaded nearly 4 GB and was getting
    > reasonably good speeds. Dropped to little more than dial-up speeds
    > during their advertised peak period (cos he forgot to set his scheduler
    > to limit his download speed) but apart from that no problems.
    >
    > Saves himself $10 a month and has no cap.
    >
    > I hope it all goes wrong for him :) cos I'm paying $20 a month more
    > with Actrix and am capped to 1 GB per day at 2MB/128
    >
    > Give it a month and then I'll see how he's doing. Would hate to leave
    > Actrix but when I spoke to the Actrix helpdesk last week they said
    > Actrix didn't see the Go Large plan as feasible and weren't too worried
    > about it (to paraphrase)
    >
    > Regards
    > Miguel

    Xtras plan is a winner, because people like the certainty of 'unlimited' or
    close to it.
    Vista, Oct 28, 2006
  9. Vista wrote:
    > "Miguel" <> wrote in message
    >> Bryan wrote:
    >>
    >>> Have I got this right.
    >>> I am currently with Ihug and pay $49.95 for 5 plus 10 gig cap, 3.5MB
    >>> speed
    >>> (tolls with Ihug)
    >>> Ihug new deal for same price, full download speed and only 10 gig cap
    >>> (tolls with Ihug. This plan seems a step backwards to me.
    >>> Browse over to Slingshot to find for $49.95 I could get a 25 gig cap
    >>> (tolls
    >>> with Slingshot. What did I miss. Something that looks too good to be true
    >>> generally has a hook in it somewhere.

    >> Hate to say this.........last Friday my brother changed from his $59.95
    >> Xtra Adventure plan (FS/FS 10 GB cap) to the new $49.95 Xtra Go Large
    >> plan (FS/128 No Cap).
    >>
    >> He was moved to the new plan pretty much straight away.
    >>
    >> Two days later and he's downloaded nearly 4 GB and was getting
    >> reasonably good speeds. Dropped to little more than dial-up speeds
    >> during their advertised peak period (cos he forgot to set his scheduler
    >> to limit his download speed) but apart from that no problems.
    >>
    >> Saves himself $10 a month and has no cap.
    >>
    >> I hope it all goes wrong for him :) cos I'm paying $20 a month more
    >> with Actrix and am capped to 1 GB per day at 2MB/128
    >>
    >> Give it a month and then I'll see how he's doing. Would hate to leave
    >> Actrix but when I spoke to the Actrix helpdesk last week they said
    >> Actrix didn't see the Go Large plan as feasible and weren't too worried
    >> about it (to paraphrase)
    >>
    >> Regards
    >> Miguel
    >>

    > Xtras plan is a winner, because people like the certainty of 'unlimited' or
    > close to it.

    If your IP address changes, would the speed increase again? (dont they
    just put ip address'es in the pool of slowness?

    Can you force an IP change?
    Andrew Lambert, Oct 30, 2006