    ~IRO
    My ambition in Life is to build something that will
    REALLY last....at least until I've finished building it.
    IRO, Oct 6, 2004

  2. IRO

    Bruce Hoult Guest

    In article <>,
    IRO <> wrote:

    > I recently fired up Skype and was delighted with the ease with which I
    > set up free phone conversations between New Zealand and my daughter in
    > London.
    >
    > However, on a tip, I fired up Little Snitch, an application that
    > monitors network traffic. There was a constant barrage of connection
    > requests via a variety of ports to all manner of strange addresses all
    > over the globe. All my contacts are running OSX Panther but given the
    > general nervousness about intrusions these days should I be concerned
    > about these connections?

    Skype is peer to peer, which means it tries to talk directly from A to
    B. But if both A and B are behind firewalls then it is impossible for
    either to open an incoming connection to the other. In this case Skype
    finds a 3rd party, C, that is not behind a firewall and has both A and B
    connect to C.

    Kazaa does the same thing.

    If you don't like it then put in a firewall (NAT will do).

    --
    Bruce | 41.1670S | \ spoken | -+-
    Bruce Hoult, Oct 6, 2004

  3. Hi there,

    IRO wrote:
    > I recently fired up Skype and was delighted with the ease with which I
    > set up free phone conversations between New Zealand and my daughter in
    > London.
    >
    > However, on a tip, I fired up Little Snitch, an application that
    > monitors network traffic. There was a constant barrage of connection
    > requests via a variety of ports to all manner of strange addresses all
    > over the globe. All my contacts are running OSX Panther but given the
    > general nervousness about intrusions these days should I be concerned
    > about these connections?

    grc.com has their port scan test, and one user reports that he fails
    this test with Skype running yet passes without...

    I'm a bit sceptical about the program hence, but since I'm running a
    very stroppy firewall under Linux I'm expecting that Skype will not
    work at all unless I relax my security...something I may not be keen
    to do...

    Certainly the idea that my computer might become a 'supernode' at the
    whim of the Skype system worries me...

    --
    Kind regards,

    Chris Wilkinson, Oct 7, 2004
  4. Chris Wilkinson wrote:
    > Certainly the idea that my computer might become a 'supernode' at the
    > whim of the Skype system worries me...

    with Telecoms best deal being 192K upload, I dont think you have much of
    a chance of becoming a supernode
    Dave - Dave.net.nz, Oct 7, 2004
  5. IRO

    Dave Taylor Guest

    IRO <> wrote in news:irotemp-
    :

    > I recently fired up Skype and was delighted with the ease with which I
    > set up free phone conversations between New Zealand and my daughter in
    > London.
    >
    > However, on a tip, I fired up Little Snitch, an application that
    > monitors network traffic. There was a constant barrage of connection
    > requests via a variety of ports to all manner of strange addresses all
    > over the globe. All my contacts are running OSX Panther but given the
    > general nervousness about intrusions these days should I be concerned
    > about these connections?

    next time you are having a skype conversation do a netstat 5 or
    thereabouts.
    You will see that your traffic will change from point to point on a regular
    basis, this is how skype works ( at least that is how it did on .97)
    I amazed that the quality of the audio is so high considering the spread
    out delivery method.

    --
    Ciao, Dave
    Dave Taylor, Oct 7, 2004
  6. [[ This message was both posted and mailed: see

    In article <>, IRO
    <> wrote:

    > All my contacts are running OSX Panther but given the
    > general nervousness about intrusions these days should I be concerned
    > about these connections?

    No.

    Skype uses P2P technology to keep track of the status of subscribers.
    An interesting concept which means Skype should scale well since no
    central server is needed to do this. However this means you need these
    connections to "peers" to establish a call.

    The P2P traffic is only as needed and quite low in my experience --
    after an initial burst of a few seconds on startup the traffic for
    Skype drops down to a few packets per minute on average (I've monitored
    the traffic with a packet sniffer).

    Once a call connection is made the UDP packets travel directly between
    the two computers involved. This traffic is encrypted so casual
    eavesdropping is prevented. This direct traffic is around
    4kBytes/second in each direction.

    Cheers,

    Darrell

    --
    To reply, substitute .net for .invalid in address, i.e., darrell.usenet2 (at)
    telus.net
    Darrell Greenwood, Oct 7, 2004
  7. IRO

    Guest

    Dave - Dave.net.nz wrote:

    > Chris Wilkinson wrote:
    >
    >> Certainly the idea that my computer might become a 'supernode' at the
    >> whim of the Skype system worries me...

    > with Telecoms best deal being 192K upload, I dont think you have much of
    > a chance of becoming a supernode

    you must have crappy telecoms 'round you

    'round these here parts you can get a 6Mbps/1.5Mbps for ~$100
    , Oct 8, 2004
  8. wrote:
    >>> Certainly the idea that my computer might become a 'supernode' at the
    >>> whim of the Skype system worries me...

    >> with Telecoms best deal being 192K upload, I dont think you have much
    >> of a chance of becoming a supernode

    > you must have crappy telecoms 'round you
    > 'round these here parts you can get a 6Mbps/1.5Mbps for ~$100

    yep... thats the best that is currently on offer.
    wifi operators offer better plans, as do a few others, but they're all
    small and isolated(reletivly) areas.

    I hadn't noticed the cross post, but anyway, nz is New Zealand... land
    of the bastard monopoly telco.

    The best deal (not quite)available is 2Mbps/192kbps for ~$60nz(~$30US)...
    Dave - Dave.net.nz, Oct 8, 2004
  9. IRO

    Mike_P Guest

    "Dave - Dave.net.nz" <dave@no_spam_here_please_dave.net.nz> wrote in message

    >>> with Telecoms best deal being 192K upload, I dont think you have much of
    >>> a chance of becoming a supernode

    >> you must have crappy telecoms 'round you
    >> 'round these here parts you can get a 6Mbps/1.5Mbps for ~$100

    > yep... thats the best that is currently on offer.
    > wifi operators offer better plans, as do a few others, but they're all
    > small and isolated(reletivly) areas.
    >
    > I hadn't noticed the cross post, but anyway, nz is New Zealand... land of
    > the bastard monopoly telco.
    >
    > The best deal (not quite)available is 2Mbps/192kbps for ~$60nz(~$30US)...

    Actually that's about $40US at current exchange rates...
    Mike_P, Oct 8, 2004
  10. IRO

    bAZZ Guest

    In article <>,
    dave@no_spam_here_please_dave.net.nz says...

    > >> with Telecoms best deal being 192K upload, I dont think you have much
    > >> of a chance of becoming a supernode

    > > you must have crappy telecoms 'round you
    > > 'round these here parts you can get a 6Mbps/1.5Mbps for ~$100

    > yep... thats the best that is currently on offer.
    > wifi operators offer better plans, as do a few others, but they're all
    > small and isolated(reletivly) areas.
    >
    > I hadn't noticed the cross post, but anyway, nz is New Zealand... land
    > of the bastard monopoly telco.
    >
    > The best deal (not quite)available is 2Mbps/192kbps for ~$60nz(~$30US)...

    Whos that with Dave ? Going adsl by Xmas ( unless dunedin wireless gets
    off ground first ?????).

    bAZZ

    bAZZ, Oct 9, 2004
  11. bAZZ wrote:
    >>I hadn't noticed the cross post, but anyway, nz is New Zealand... land
    >>of the bastard monopoly telco.
    >>The best deal (not quite)available is 2Mbps/192kbps for ~$60nz(~$30US)...

    > Whos that with Dave ? Going adsl by Xmas ( unless dunedin wireless gets
    > off ground first ?????).

    the 2Mbps/192 was in reference ot the Telecom deal that Im not sure they
    have been allowed to offer yet or not...

    Dunedin Wireless... you could check out www.syanptic.net.nz for a look. :)
    Dave - Dave.net.nz, Oct 10, 2004
  12. IRO

    bAZZ Guest

    In article <>,
    dave@no_spam_here_please_dave.net.nz says...
    > bAZZ wrote:
    > >>I hadn't noticed the cross post, but anyway, nz is New Zealand... land
    > >>of the bastard monopoly telco.
    > >>The best deal (not quite)available is 2Mbps/192kbps for ~$60nz(~$30US)...

    > > Whos that with Dave ? Going adsl by Xmas ( unless dunedin wireless gets
    > > off ground first ?????).

    > the 2Mbps/192 was in reference ot the Telecom deal that Im not sure they
    > have been allowed to offer yet or not...
    >
    > Dunedin Wireless... you could check out www.syanptic.net.nz for a look. :)

    ahh OK. Could handle 2mps downloading.

    Tried it but not working. Have a look later.

    thanx
    bAZZ

    bAZZ, Oct 10, 2004
  13. bAZZ wrote:
    >>Dunedin Wireless... you could check out www.synaptic.net.nz for a look. :)

    > Tried it but not working. Have a look later.

    it would help if I wasn't such a clutz on the keyboard.

    www.synaptic.net.nz
    and corrected above.
    Dave - Dave.net.nz, Oct 10, 2004
  14. IRO

    bAZZ Guest

    In article <>,
    dave@no_spam_here_please_dave.net.nz says...
    > bAZZ wrote:
    > >>Dunedin Wireless... you could check out www.synaptic.net.nz for a look. :)

    > > Tried it but not working. Have a look later.

    > it would help if I wasn't such a clutz on the keyboard.
    >
    > www.synaptic.net.nz
    > and corrected above.

    Yep that works. I see they have dial up only at this point. Damn. Would
    dearly like to support local ppl but may have to go with orcon soon if
    nothing happens soooon.

    thanx Dave.

    bAZZ

    bAZZ, Oct 11, 2004
  15. bAZZ wrote:

    >>>Tried it but not working. Have a look later.

    >>it would help if I wasn't such a clutz on the keyboard.
    >>www.synaptic.net.nz
    >>and corrected above.

    > Yep that works. I see they have dial up only at this point. Damn. Would
    > dearly like to support local ppl but may have to go with orcon soon if
    > nothing happens soooon.

    wireless is also available... even if it isn't mentioned on the site.
    email "them" if you like. :)
    or email me and I'll pass it onto their support team. :)
    Dave - Dave.net.nz, Oct 11, 2004
  16. IRO

    bAZZ Guest

    In article <>,
    dave@no_spam_here_please_dave.net.nz says...

    > >>it would help if I wasn't such a clutz on the keyboard.
    > >>www.synaptic.net.nz
    > >>and corrected above.

    > > Yep that works. I see they have dial up only at this point. Damn. Would
    > > dearly like to support local ppl but may have to go with orcon soon if
    > > nothing happens soooon.

    > wireless is also available... even if it isn't mentioned on the site.
    > email "them" if you like. :)
    > or email me and I'll pass it onto their support team. :)

    LOL. Flicked an email off to em earlier this arvo.

    bAZZ

    bAZZ, Oct 11, 2004