    not of any description that I can see.

    Any clues?

    David
    David, Nov 25, 2003

  2. David

    Stuart Guest

    "David" <> wrote in message
    news:bpv192$ltl$...
    > I know it is a tilde but it keeps appearing on my desktop - as a file, but
    > not of any description that I can see.

    I get it too, quite often. I'm not sure what causes it, but if I delete it
    it comes back.

    I had a look at it, and it appears to contain address book entries. Possibly
    it's from Outlook Express? I last deleted it on Sunday, hasn't come back
    yet.

    Stuart
    Stuart, Nov 25, 2003

  3. David

    XPD Guest

    "David" <> wrote in message
    > I know it is a tilde but it keeps appearing on my desktop - as a file, but
    > not of any description that I can see.
    >
    > Any clues?
    >
    > David

    Ive had it before too (Win2k), and it appears on my gf's system (Win98)
    every now and then as well.
    XPD, Nov 25, 2003
  4. David

    ZZzzz Guest

    "David" <> wrote in message
    > I know it is a tilde but it keeps appearing on my desktop - as a file, but
    > not of any description that I can see.
    >
    > Any clues?

    Snipped from
    http://www.experts-exchange.com/Operating_Systems/Q_20635656.html

    The ~ file is the backup file for your address book. Do you have Outlook
    Express or Outlook? The April patch for Outlook Express Q330994 created this
    problem. You can remove this update from the Add/Remove Programs and the
    problem will be gone. Or you can live with it and wait for the next Outlook
    update, which may get rid of it.

    What happens normally is when you update your address book, it is stored in
    the address book folder. In the same folder, the backup address file is
    updated, for example, user.wab becomes user.wa~ . But the April patch
    caused this user.wa~ not to be updated. Instead the backup file ~ is
    created on the desktop. If you open it, you may recognize some content of
    your address book.
    ZZzzz, Nov 25, 2003
  5. You are almost criminal.

    http://www.pchell.com/support/tildefile.shtml

    On behalf of other net users, I would like to say to all users of
    Outlook and Outlook Express that neglect to keep their software updated:

    Get the **** off the net!

    Do you know how many junk mails I suffer because of lame asses like you
    that neglect to patch their bugware?

    Kurt Häusler, Nov 25, 2003
  6. Kurt Häusler wrote:
    > You are almost criminal.
    >
    > http://www.pchell.com/support/tildefile.shtml
    >
    > On behalf of other net users, I would like to say to all users of
    > Outlook and Outlook Express that neglect to keep their software updated:
    >
    > Get the **** off the net!
    >
    > Do you know how many junk mails I suffer because of lame asses like you
    > that neglect to patch their bugware?

    I actually read back and read the article and it seems that this bug was
    CAUSED by a security patch. So I feel I better reword my post.:

    All outlook and outlook express users please get the **** off the net
    whether you download the patches or not.

    Thankyou.
    Kurt Häusler, Nov 25, 2003
  7. > All outlook and outlook express users please get the **** off the net

    yeah...... that's gonna happen.....

    ;-)

    Rimu Atkinson, Nov 25, 2003
  8. David

    T.N.O. Guest

    Kurt Häusler wrote:
    > All outlook and outlook express users please get the **** off the net
    > whether you download the patches or not.

    Thats really helpful Kurt... now how about you try being polite, or, on
    second thoughts, you get the **** off the net, arsehole.
    T.N.O., Nov 25, 2003
  9. T.N.O. wrote:
    > Kurt Häusler wrote:
    >
    >> All outlook and outlook express users please get the **** off the net
    >> whether you download the patches or not.

    > Thats really helpful Kurt... now how about you try being polite, or, on
    > second thoughts, you get the **** off the net, arsehole.

    A million spams ago I was polite to outlook and outlook express users.
    Even a saint like me has limits to his patience :)

    They dont really have any excuse now that there are alternatives.

    Ok heres the polite helpful bit:

    Try mozilla or something, anything but MS crap.
    Kurt Häusler, Nov 25, 2003
  10. David

    David Guest

    "Kurt Häusler" <> wrote in message
    > You are almost criminal.
    >
    > http://www.pchell.com/support/tildefile.shtml
    >
    > On behalf of other net users, I would like to say to all users of
    > Outlook and Outlook Express that neglect to keep their software updated:
    >
    > Get the **** off the net!
    >
    > Do you know how many junk mails I suffer because of lame asses like you
    > that neglect to patch their bugware?

    Read this and then read your poorly re-worded attempt at an apology...I
    would like to say thanks for your input moron, but I doubt you would
    recognise sarcasm. As I keep my computer clean, apply patches when
    necessary, have a variety of protection on the way into and out of the same
    I hardly think what I use is any of your business.

    I don't tell you to stop driving a Lada...but if I knew of a way to fix a
    problem you had with it I would at least be polite enough to offer an
    opinion, and if I didn't have a polite response I wouldn't hurl abuse at
    your because your drive such a shite machine. Next time keep your abusive
    mouth shut...
    David, Nov 25, 2003
  11. David wrote:

    > Read this and then read your poorly re-worded attempt at an apology...I
    > would like to say thanks for your input moron, but I doubt you would
    > recognise sarcasm. As I keep my computer clean, apply patches when
    > necessary, have a variety of protection on the way into and out of the same
    > I hardly think what I use is any of your business.

    I didnt mean to apologize. I stand by my disregard for the feelings of
    outlook and outlook express users.

    As I wrote in the second post, it seems that applying patches can
    sometimes make things worse.

    What software you use IS my business as another net user, when the
    software in question is known mainly for its efficiancy in enabling
    viruses and junk mail to spread to innocent net users.

    > I don't tell you to stop driving a Lada...but if I knew of a way to fix a
    > problem you had with it I would at least be polite enough to offer an
    > opinion, and if I didn't have a polite response I wouldn't hurl abuse at
    > your because your drive such a shite machine. Next time keep your abusive
    > mouth shut...

    If I drove a vehicle that regularly expelled pieces of metal in a
    deliberate attempt to sabotage other cars, you would well be within your
    rights to abuse me and demand me off the road. And I would be demanded
    off the road. Your analogy is particularly weak considering even cheap
    cars such as Ladas dont affect road safety for other road users.

    Before worrying about whether my mouth is closed or not, worry about
    closing your own security holes first you net-vandal.
    Kurt Häusler, Nov 25, 2003
  12. David

    > David wrote:
    >
    > > Read this and then read your poorly re-worded attempt at an apology...I
    > > would like to say thanks for your input moron, but I doubt you would
    > > recognise sarcasm. As I keep my computer clean, apply patches when
    > > necessary, have a variety of protection on the way into and out of the

    same
    > > I hardly think what I use is any of your business.

    > I didnt mean to apologize. I stand by my disregard for the feelings of
    > outlook and outlook express users.
    >
    > As I wrote in the second post, it seems that applying patches can
    > sometimes make things worse.
    >
    > What software you use IS my business as another net user, when the
    > software in question is known mainly for its efficiancy in enabling
    > viruses and junk mail to spread to innocent net users.
    >
    > > I don't tell you to stop driving a Lada...but if I knew of a way to fix

    > > problem you had with it I would at least be polite enough to offer an
    > > opinion, and if I didn't have a polite response I wouldn't hurl abuse at
    > > your because your drive such a shite machine. Next time keep your

    abusive
    > > mouth shut...

    > If I drove a vehicle that regularly expelled pieces of metal in a
    > deliberate attempt to sabotage other cars, you would well be within your
    > rights to abuse me and demand me off the road. And I would be demanded
    > off the road. Your analogy is particularly weak considering even cheap
    > cars such as Ladas dont affect road safety for other road users.
    >
    > Before worrying about whether my mouth is closed or not, worry about
    > closing your own security holes first you net-vandal.

    As you wouldn't know humility nor diplomacy unless it punched in the face, a
    fate that I do not actually wish on you, I note that instead of backing off
    and leaving be what was a stupid and immature knee jerk reaction about
    someone and something you have no knowledge of (that being me, my computer o
    r my security measures), you chose to attack once again.

    So I leave you with the joy of having stomped your foot like the little man
    your seem to be and let you go on to change the world so that we end up
    looking through your own special coloured glasses.
    David, Nov 25, 2003
  13. David wrote:

    > So I leave you with the joy of having stomped your foot like the little man
    > your seem to be and let you go on to change the world so that we end up
    > looking through your own special coloured glasses.

    Thankyou. I just hope you learnt a little something too. Like how
    annoying people like you are (meaning, people who use outlook and
    outlook express), for the rest of us innocent net users.
    Kurt Häusler, Nov 25, 2003
  14. David

    cowboyz Guest

    Kurt Häusler wrote:
    > David wrote:
    >
    >> So I leave you with the joy of having stomped your foot like the
    >> little man your seem to be and let you go on to change the world so
    >> that we end up looking through your own special coloured glasses.

    > Thankyou. I just hope you learnt a little something too. Like how
    > annoying people like you are (meaning, people who use outlook and
    > outlook express), for the rest of us innocent net users.

    Exactly how does my using outlook express effect your internet experience?
    cowboyz, Nov 25, 2003
  15. David

    harry Guest

    Kurt Häusler wrote:
    > You are almost criminal.
    >
    > http://www.pchell.com/support/tildefile.shtml
    >
    > On behalf of other net users, I would like to say to all users of
    > Outlook and Outlook Express that neglect to keep their software
    > updated:
    >
    > Get the **** off the net!

    You are getting a tad HYSTERICAL dude.
    Cut down on the caffiene befor you blow a gasket.

    Please if you are going to continue this abusive behaviour, don't try to
    associate it with your choice of operating system, we have enough idiots in
    this particular village.
    harry, Nov 25, 2003
  16. David

    steve Guest

    Kurt Häusler allegedly said:

    > Do you know how many junk mails I suffer because of lame asses like you
    > that neglect to patch their bugware?

    I know how you feel.

    Shall we say it for the 9,178,345th time?

    Don't use OE.

    --
    Best Regards,
    Steve Withers
    steve, Nov 25, 2003
  17. David

    steve Guest

    harry allegedly said:

    > Kurt Häusler wrote:
    >> You are almost criminal.
    >>
    >> http://www.pchell.com/support/tildefile.shtml
    >>
    >> On behalf of other net users, I would like to say to all users of
    >> Outlook and Outlook Express that neglect to keep their software
    >> updated:
    >>
    >> Get the **** off the net!
    >>

    > You are getting a tad HYSTERICAL dude.
    > Cut down on the caffiene befor you blow a gasket.
    >
    > Please if you are going to continue this abusive behaviour, don't try to
    > associate it with your choice of operating system, we have enough idiots
    > in this particular village.

    Windows and the MS applications on it are virus magnets. But let's set the
    OS to one side for a moment.

    There are many Windows mail clients that aren't fresh meat for the latest
    worm virus.

    --
    Best Regards,
    Steve Withers
    steve, Nov 25, 2003
  18. David

    steve Guest

    David allegedly said:

    > I don't tell you to stop driving a Lada...but if I knew of a way to fix a
    > problem you had with it I would at least be polite enough to offer an
    > opinion, and if I didn't have a polite response I wouldn't hurl abuse at
    > your because your drive such a shite machine. Next time keep your abusive
    > mouth shut...

    Lada's cost money.

    A better mail client for Windows is free. There is not much in the way of a
    good excuse for using MS OE if you haven't got the skills to make the
    hourly effort to keep it virus free.

    *ANY* other mail client for Windows is more secure.

    If OE was as good as a Lada, I might have more sympathy.

    --
    Best Regards,
    Steve Withers
    steve, Nov 25, 2003
  19. David

    harry Guest

    steve wrote:
    > harry allegedly said:
    >
    >> Kurt Häusler wrote:
    >>> You are almost criminal.
    >>>
    >>> http://www.pchell.com/support/tildefile.shtml
    >>>
    >>> On behalf of other net users, I would like to say to all users of
    >>> Outlook and Outlook Express that neglect to keep their software
    >>> updated:
    >>>
    >>> Get the **** off the net!
    >>>

    >> You are getting a tad HYSTERICAL dude.
    >> Cut down on the caffiene befor you blow a gasket.
    >>
    >> Please if you are going to continue this abusive behaviour, don't
    >> try to associate it with your choice of operating system, we have
    >> enough idiots in this particular village.

    > Windows and the MS applications on it are virus magnets. But let's
    > set the OS to one side for a moment.
    >
    > There are many Windows mail clients that aren't fresh meat for the
    > latest worm virus.

    Yeah whatever steve
    I'm so fukin tired of you bitching about this stuff, it doesn't change a
    thing its like a constant irritating whine that is far worse than having a
    tilde file.
    Windows users are still using Windows, and the sky hasn't fallen.
    I'm happy for you that you have had your personal epiphany, and you now
    trumpet away ad bloody infinitum that you only need one or two Windows
    machines and Wine crossover plugin thingys to communicate with the Windows
    users.
    It doesn't change the internet environments composition one bit. The default
    preinstalled Windows client will always be used.
    Kurt Hausler claims to speak for "other net users" with his abusive manner.
    I use Linux a lot, I'm "other net users".
    He doesn't speak for me.
    harry, Nov 25, 2003
  20. David

    T.N.O. Guest

    steve wrote:
    > A better mail client for Windows is free. There is not much in the way of a
    > good excuse for using MS OE if you haven't got the skills to make the
    > hourly effort to keep it virus free.

    Until recently, my mother used OE 5 with no security patches, and yet
    she has only once received a virus(emailed to her by me as a test for
    her AV)... if unpatched OE is such a virus whore, why has she never got one?
    T.N.O., Nov 25, 2003