What the hell is this? lol

Discussion in 'Computer Information' started by Trent©, Jun 17, 2004.

  1. Trent©

    Trent© Guest

    I'm working on a machine that's really turned into a
    nightmare...mostly because of the blockhost worm and 2 variants of
    Sasser.

    But here's the problem I could really use some help on...

    I'm looking at the desktop. It has a picture of a river scene...and
    all the icons are on top of that picture.

    I can take the mouse...go to the left side...and grab that side and
    just peel it back like an accordion to the right side. It peels back
    to about an inch of the right side. The picture remains
    there...scrunched...from top to bottom...taking up about an inch of
    the right side of the screen.

    The customer wants to get rid of this screen.

    The icons don't move...they remain where they were on the desktop.
    And UNDER this accordion that I just moved to the right is the regular
    Windows desktop. If I go into settings, I can change the desktop
    picture to various things. But the slider window doesn't change...its
    the same picture.

    Does anybody have any idea what the hell this slider things is? lol
    Is it just a program that I'm not familiar with? Nothing looked
    familiar to me in msconfig, enditall, or even in processes.

    Any help will be appreciated.

    TIA

    Have a nice week...

    Trent©

    Trent©, Jun 17, 2004

  2. Trent©

    Noozer Guest

    > I'm looking at the desktop. It has a picture of a river scene...and
    > all the icons are on top of that picture.
    >
    > I can take the mouse...go to the left side...and grab that side and
    > just peel it back like an accordion to the right side. It peels back
    > to about an inch of the right side. The picture remains
    > there...scrunched...from top to bottom...taking up about an inch of
    > the right side of the screen.

    Is the Active Desktop on? Is there a link to a picture? This would be
    resizable like a window.
    Noozer, Jun 17, 2004

  3. Trent©

    Alceryes Guest

    Win 98, 2K, XP?
    I'd get the latest version of Ad-aware (with latest defs) and the latest
    version of Mcafee stinger, boot into safe mode and install and run both
    proggies. Also remember to clear out the startup progs in msconfig AND the
    registry (Skip the registry part if you're not sure how to do it).
    --

    I don't cheat to survive. I cheat to LIVE!!
    - Alceryes

    Alceryes, Jun 18, 2004
  4. Trent©

    Jim Berwick Guest

    "Alceryes" <> wrote in

    > I'd get the latest version of Ad-aware (with latest defs) and the
    > latest version of Mcafee stinger, boot into safe mode and install and
    > run both proggies. Also remember to clear out the startup progs in
    > msconfig AND the registry (Skip the registry part if you're not sure
    > how to do it).

    Question: MSConfig shows you what is loading out of the registry, what is
    the point of removing stuff from msconfig and then editting the registry?
    Jim Berwick, Jun 18, 2004
  5. Trent©

    Alceryes Guest

    > Question: MSConfig shows you what is loading out of the registry, what is
    > the point of removing stuff from msconfig and then editting the registry?

    Because some items will show in the registry that DON'T show in msconfig. I
    guess he can just check the registry and skip the msconfig part (old habits
    die hard :cool:.

    Alceryes, Jun 18, 2004
  6. Trent©

    Pen Guest

    Msconfig is undoable. It merely moves the items to a key that is ignored
    by windows on boot, so if you do something wrong you can always restore
    it. Then if all is kosher you can delete the item(s).

    Pen, Jun 18, 2004
  7. Trent©

    Jim Berwick Guest

    "Alceryes" <> wrote in

    > Because some items will show in the registry that DON'T show in
    > msconfig. I guess he can just check the registry and skip the msconfig
    > part (old habits die hard :cool:.

    Example?
    Jim Berwick, Jun 18, 2004
  8. Trent© wrote:

    > I'm working on a machine that's really turned into a
    > nightmare...mostly because of the blockhost worm and 2 variants of
    > Sasser.
    >
    > But here's the problem I could really use some help on...
    >
    > I'm looking at the desktop. It has a picture of a river scene...and
    > all the icons are on top of that picture.
    >
    > I can take the mouse...go to the left side...and grab that side and
    > just peel it back like an accordion to the right side. It peels back
    > to about an inch of the right side. The picture remains
    > there...scrunched...from top to bottom...taking up about an inch of
    > the right side of the screen.
    >
    > The customer wants to get rid of this screen.
    >
    > The icons don't move...they remain where they were on the desktop.
    > And UNDER this accordion that I just moved to the right is the regular
    > Windows desktop. If I go into settings, I can change the desktop
    > picture to various things. But the slider window doesn't change...its
    > the same picture.
    >
    > Does anybody have any idea what the hell this slider things is? lol
    > Is it just a program that I'm not familiar with? Nothing looked
    > familiar to me in msconfig, enditall, or even in processes.
    >
    > Any help will be appreciated.
    >
    > TIA
    >

    > Have a nice week...
    >
    > Trent©
    >
    > Follow Joan Rivers' example --- get pre-embalmed!

    I have this ability with my FX5200 graphics card.
    try opening Desktop properties and seeing if there's a GeForce FX5200
    card tab...

    it's in there somewhere but ive turned it off for obvious reasons hehe

    --

    Quiet, Pinky; I'm pondering.
    _ _
    /~\\ \ //~\
    | \\ \ // |
    [ || || ]
    ] Y || || Y [
    | \_|l,------.l|_/ |
    | >' `< |
    \ (/~`--____--'~\) /
    `-_>-__________-<_-'
    /(_#(__)#_)\
    \___/__\___/
    /__`--'__\
    /\(__,>-~~ __)
    /\//\\( `--~~ )
    '\/ <^\ /^>
    _\ >-__-< /_
    (___\ /___)
    Weyoun the Dancing Borg, Jun 19, 2004
  9. Trent©

    AlexMasters Guest

    > I can take the mouse...go to the left side...and grab that side and
    > just peel it back like an accordion to the right side. It peels back
    > to about an inch of the right side. The picture remains
    > there...scrunched...from top to bottom...taking up about an inch of
    > the right side of the screen.

    Sound like you have got some kind of active desktop enabled. In Xp, click on
    a blank bit of desktop, select
    properties>desktop>customise desktop> web
    Then look and see if any of the boxes in there are checked. Either uncheck
    them, or try clicking delete. I think this should do the trick

    Alex
    AlexMasters, Jun 20, 2004