    Is anyone else having this issue and is there a way for me to turn this shit
    off?

    Thanks.
    Sseadoubleyou, Oct 27, 2004

  2. Sseadoubleyou

    Toolman Tim Guest

    >| Starting this evening, everytime I launch the program and sign on,
    >| it keeps trying to play this stupid ass John Kerry promo video at
    >| the top of the AIM software/buddy list window. When I try to stop
    >| it, the damn program freezes up on me and I have to do a
    >| control/alt/delete to close it out. Then it pops up a seperate
    >| window to try to play the video in a bigger window, has AOL now
    >| signed onto the John Kerry campaign? This is ridiculous! I can't
    >| do a damn thing with the program, can't talk to anyone or do crap!
    >| I have uninstalled it and reinstalled it thinking the problem was on
    >| my end but it's not. Obviously AOL is once again doing what they do
    >| best, screwing around with other peoples computers.
    >|
    >| Is anyone else having this issue and is there a way for me to turn
    >| this shit off?
    >|
    >| Thanks.

    Switch to Trillian - http://www.ceruleanstudios.com/

    THEY went." ~Will Rogers~
    Toolman Tim, Oct 27, 2004

  3. No thanks.

    Sseadoubleyou, Oct 27, 2004
  4. Sseadoubleyou

    Toolman Tim Guest

    >| No thanks.
    >|

    >| "Toolman Tim" <> wrote in message
    >| >>|
    >| >>|

    >| > Switch to Trillian - http://www.ceruleanstudios.com/

    Well, okay, but apparently AOL is selling ads to cover their free products,
    so you either live with the ads or switch.

    THEY went." ~Will Rogers~
    Toolman Tim, Oct 27, 2004
  5. I have used Trillian before, I don't like it, there is alway sproblems with
    connections, been there done that. This AOL shit only started this evening,
    I was on AIM earlier today and there were no problems.

    Sseadoubleyou, Oct 27, 2004
  6. Sseadoubleyou

    trout Guest

    Sseadoubleyou wrote:

    > No thanks.

    Trillian is actually a 'shell' through which you can run a number of
    IM programs; so you wouldn't actually be "switching"; just running the
    same program through a different interface. Whether or not this solves
    the ad problem, I don't know, as I've never used AIM.
    But it's (Trillian) a good, free, program that you can use without
    changing your existing AIM account. Might not hurt to give it a try.
    Description and review:
    http://makeashorterlink.com/?I23E638C8

    > "Toolman Tim" <> wrote in message

    >> Switch to Trillian - http://www.ceruleanstudios.com/

    --
    "I'm not going to waste a signature down here."
    trout, Oct 27, 2004
  7. Yeah I have used it before, notice I said in my previoius response that I
    was tired of dealing with connection issues regarding the program, I even
    paid for the pro version.

    Sseadoubleyou, Oct 27, 2004
  8. I was walking down the street, minding my own business, when on Tue,
    26 Oct 2004 22:23:10 -0400, "Sseadoubleyou"
    <SseadoubleyouATyahooDOTcom> screamed from behind the mulberry bush:

    >I have used Trillian before, I don't like it, there is alway sproblems with
    >connections, been there done that. This AOL shit only started this evening,
    >I was on AIM earlier today and there were no problems.

    Just what exactly did you expect from AOL?

    <snip>
    Dr. Harvie Wahl-Banghor, Oct 27, 2004
  9. Maybe if some of you actually opened up your AIM you could tell me if your
    having the same issue. AIM is the most used instant messaging service out
    there, I'm not on AOL, I only have AIM. The only way to stop this shit is
    to uninstall java from your computer. But I need Java for other stuff that
    I do.

    Sseadoubleyou, Oct 27, 2004
  10. Sseadoubleyou

    trout Guest

    Sseadoubleyou wrote:

    > Yeah I have used it before, notice I said in my previoius response
    > that I was tired of dealing with connection issues regarding the
    > program, I even paid for the pro version.

    Ah, yes. I hadn't seen that before I posted. Again, I don't use the
    program, so I can't test any of this; but perhaps you could try
    something in the way of an ad-killer.
    Some reading here:
    http://cexx.org/aim.htm
    --
    "Good luck."
    trout, Oct 27, 2004
  11. I was walking down the street, minding my own business, when on Tue,
    26 Oct 2004 23:24:26 -0400, "Sseadoubleyou"
    <SseadoubleyouATyahooDOTcom> screamed from behind the mulberry bush:

    >Maybe if some of you actually opened up your AIM you could tell me if your
    >having the same issue. AIM is the most used instant messaging service out
    >there, I'm not on AOL, I only have AIM. The only way to stop this shit is
    >to uninstall java from your computer. But I need Java for other stuff that
    >I do.

    You complain too much about something that is free. AOL has provided
    the servers and wrote the software for AIM, then gave away the access.
    AOL is a business and they benefit from this by selling advertising
    that has access to millions of eyeballs. You benefit because it
    doesn't cost you anything, AOL gets some cash to continue providing
    the service. The great thing about this is that after November 2nd,
    you won't see anymore Kerry commercials. That doesn't mean they won't
    replace it with something else.

    Dr. Harvie Wahl-Banghor, Oct 27, 2004
  12. Sseadoubleyou

    Toolman Tim Guest

    >| Starting this evening, everytime I launch the program and sign on,
    >| it keeps trying to play this stupid ass John Kerry promo video at
    >| the top of the AIM software/buddy list window. When I try to stop
    >| it, the damn program freezes up on me and I have to do a
    >| control/alt/delete to close it out. Then it pops up a seperate
    >| window to try to play the video in a bigger window, has AOL now
    >| signed onto the John Kerry campaign? This is ridiculous! I can't
    >| do a damn thing with the program, can't talk to anyone or do crap!
    >| I have uninstalled it and reinstalled it thinking the problem was on
    >| my end but it's not. Obviously AOL is once again doing what they do
    >| best, screwing around with other peoples computers.
    >|
    >| Is anyone else having this issue and is there a way for me to turn
    >| this shit off?
    >|
    >| Thanks.

    I had a thought - how about a hosts file?

    I have an AIM account, although it wasn't installed on either of my
    computers, so I hadn't dealt with the new ads. So I downloaded and
    reinstalled it on my laptop just now. I have nothing in the ad window. I
    think it's because I've got a pretty extensive hosts file keeping a lot of
    ads from coming in to my web browser. I downloaded it from a site
    recently recommended on this newsgroup...Jim Byrd posted this:
    http://www.mvps.org/winhelp2002/hosts.htm

    THEY went." ~Will Rogers~
    Toolman Tim, Oct 27, 2004
  13. Sseadoubleyou

    Don Guest

    "Sseadoubleyou" <SseadoubleyouATyahooDOTcom> wrote in message
    > Maybe if some of you actually opened up your AIM you could tell me if your
    > having the same issue. AIM is the most used instant messaging service out
    > there, I'm not on AOL, I only have AIM. The only way to stop this shit is
    > to uninstall java from your computer. But I need Java for other stuff
    > that I do.

    <snip>

    That is not a fair comment. A sensible suggestion was made to you. Switch to
    Trillian. You could use Trillian for a while until the advert tagged to the
    AIM application is removed to keep in touch with your friends on that
    network.

    I cannot open AIM because I would not install anything from AOL on my
    computer. I use MSN messenger myself. It opens up an advert on start-up when
    left to its default setting but is easily configured not to. Should
    Messenger play up I would switch to Trillian. It will handle AIM, Yahoo and
    MSN Messenger communication.
    Don, Oct 27, 2004
  14. "Sseadoubleyou" <SseadoubleyouATyahooDOTcom> wrote in message
    > Starting this evening, everytime I launch the program and sign on, it
    > keeps trying to play this stupid ass John Kerry promo video at the top of
    > the AIM software/buddy list window.

    Which version of AIM are you running? Each new release just gets loaded down
    with more "ads and stuff".

    > When I try to stop it,

    How exactly do you try to "stop it"?

    > the damn program freezes up on me and I have to do a control/alt/delete to
    > close it out. Then it pops up a seperate window to try to play the video
    > in a bigger window, has AOL now signed onto the John Kerry campaign?

    Don't think so. They sell ads you know. Is it the fact that they are playing
    an ad that bothers you or is it the fact that it's an ad for John Kerry?
    Would you be complaining if it were an ad for the Chimp in Chief?

    > This is ridiculous!

    Well, it's a free program. No one makes you use it. I run version 5.1.3 and
    have my options set so that I don't see ads and pop-up windows.

    > I can't do a damn thing with the program,

    Maybe you should try letting the ad load and play through since your efforst
    to kill it seem to be the cause of your problems?

    > can't talk to anyone

    Try opening your mouth and speaking S-L-O-W-L-Y.

    > or do crap!

    Try Ex-Lax.

    > I have uninstalled it and reinstalled it thinking the problem was on my
    > end but it's not.

    Oh, I dunno about that.

    > Obviously AOL is once again doing what they do best, screwing around with
    > other peoples computers.

    Did AOL sneak into your home and install their software? If not...
    Oxford Systems, Oct 27, 2004
  15. Sseadoubleyou

    John Barnes Guest

    Sseadoubleyou wrote:
    > I have used Trillian before, I don't like it, there is alway
    > sproblems with connections, been there done that. This AOL shit only
    > started this evening, I was on AIM earlier today and there were no
    > problems.
    >

    > "Toolman Tim" <> wrote in message

    >> Well, okay, but apparently AOL is selling ads to cover their free
    >> products,
    >> so you either live with the ads or switch.
    >>
    >> --
    >> "If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die, I want to go where
    >> THEY went." ~Will Rogers~

    I've been using Trillian for quite a while now and i've never had any
    problems. Nice little piece of work!

    --

    Life?
    John Barnes, Oct 27, 2004
  16. Sseadoubleyou

    greyhawkmud Guest

    There's several options. Some of which has already been mentioned by others.

    1) You could continue suffering with AOhell's ads.
    (You could try writing AOL and bitch. hahaha!)

    2) You could switch to an alternative "aim" program.
    I think several people mentioned trillian, I prefer gaim.
    If you think trillian sucks, you probably wont like gaim. (lmao)

    3) You could look for the hacking progs for AIM on the net...
    I seem to recall "hack aim" (or something like that) did a
    great job at removing most/all ads.

    4) OR you could stop using aim completely and use something
    else. There's a variety of instant messenger progs around.

    Maybe there's other options, but thats all I can think of atm.
    greyhawkmud, Oct 28, 2004