What the ...? Fonts missing!

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Rustiferion, Nov 26, 2005.

  1. Rustiferion

    Rustiferion Guest

    I recently went to revise some Web buttons and banners I had made, oh, maybe
    a year or two ago, and had a nasty surprise: Several of the fonts I had used
    were missing from my fonts folder, including the one I used to use the most,
    Calligraph421.

    Last spring, I added a new 80G hard drive, and reinstalled Windows XP Home
    from the Dell OEM disk (then re-upped to SP2- what a chore...) so I still
    had the old drive still intact. I went to the Fonts folder on that drive,
    where I found dozens of other fonts that had not made the migration, and
    manually copied them over BUT the Calligraph and several other favorite and
    heavily-used fonts were not there. I did a Search All Drives, but these
    several were just flat gone! Where did they go?

    I know for darn sure that I did not delete them, at least not knowingly, and
    the Fonts folder is far enough off the beaten track that I doubt I would
    have done it accidentally. Perhaps this is a rhetorical question, so the
    real question is, how do I get them back? I Googled and found a
    downloadable Calligraph421 font from a fonts site, but when I went to use
    it, it just wasn't the same quality as the original. So where did it come
    from? I had always thought they were installed as part of the Windows OS,
    but apparently not...

    Does the Windows site have a way to download a font package, say a Fonts.cab
    file? I couldn't find one just now, but it doesn't mean it isn't there.

    ~RL

    Rustiferion, Nov 26, 2005

  2. Rustiferion

    Mike Easter Guest

    Rustiferion wrote:

    > I Googled and found a downloadable Calligraph421 font from a fonts
    > site, but when I went to use it, it just wasn't the same quality as
    > the original. So where did it come from?

    According to posts in comp.fonts, Calligraph421 BT is a bitstream font
    distributed in some Corel packages..

    --
    Mike Easter

    Mike Easter, Nov 26, 2005

  3. Rustiferion

    Toolman Tim Guest

    In news:4388b455$0$87459$,
    Mike Easter spewed forth:
    > Rustiferion wrote:
    >
    >> I Googled and found a downloadable Calligraph421 font from a fonts
    >> site, but when I went to use it, it just wasn't the same quality as
    >> the original. So where did it come from?

    > According to posts in comp.fonts, Calligraph421 BT is a bitstream font
    > distributed in some Corel packages..

    It wouldn't surprise me if Corel still names fonts weird. You wouldn't
    recognise the font by the name. I've seen font name start with an
    underscore, a couple letters/numbers, more underscores: _c4__.ttf for
    example. Since the name of the font is embedded in the file, they can have
    any filename. That could possibly be what is making it hard for the OP to
    find on disk.

    Another issue is that they may not have been Truetype but Bitstream fonts.
    Those are not in the Fonts folder. I have Adobe Type Manager at work, but
    not here at home so I can't suggest offhand what the typical folder location
    is.

    --
    Some people are like Slinkies. Not really good for anything, but you
    still can't help but smile when you see one tumble down the stairs.

    Toolman Tim, Nov 26, 2005
  4. Rustiferion

    Chris R-J Guest

    you will find it here
    http://s43.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=1YGHY0PAST43H16QEJR5D0AL0W

    chris

    Chris R-J, Nov 26, 2005
  5. Rustiferion

    Rustiferion Guest

    > In news:4388b455$0$87459$,
    > Mike Easter spewed forth:
    >> Rustiferion wrote:
    >>
    >>> I Googled and found a downloadable Calligraph421 font from a fonts
    >>> site, but when I went to use it, it just wasn't the same quality as
    >>> the original. So where did it come from?

    >> According to posts in comp.fonts, Calligraph421 BT is a bitstream font
    >> distributed in some Corel packages..

    > It wouldn't surprise me if Corel still names fonts weird. You wouldn't
    > recognise the font by the name. I've seen font name start with an
    > underscore, a couple letters/numbers, more underscores: _c4__.ttf for
    > example. Since the name of the font is embedded in the file, they can have
    > any filename. That could possibly be what is making it hard for the OP to
    > find on disk.
    >
    > Another issue is that they may not have been Truetype but Bitstream fonts.
    > Those are not in the Fonts folder. I have Adobe Type Manager at work, but
    > not here at home so I can't suggest offhand what the typical folder
    > location is.
    >
    > --
    > Some people are like Slinkies. Not really good for anything, but you
    > still can't help but smile when you see one tumble down the stairs.

    Aha! Corel!! Yes, there are dozens of TT files with helpful names like
    21257__.ttf. I could compare file lists and take a look at the ones that
    don't appear in the "new" fonts folder. (Calligraph421 is not the only
    useful font that went missing) It would also explain why they weren't
    re-installed with the OS...

    Thanks
    ~RL

    Rustiferion, Nov 26, 2005
  6. Rustiferion

    Toolman Tim Guest

    In news:0q3if.46947$,
    Rustiferion spewed forth:
    > "Toolman Tim" <> wrote in message
    >> In news:4388b455$0$87459$,
    >> Mike Easter spewed forth:

    >>> According to posts in comp.fonts, Calligraph421 BT is a bitstream
    >>> font distributed in some Corel packages..

    >> It wouldn't surprise me if Corel still names fonts weird. You
    >> wouldn't recognise the font by the name. I've seen font name start
    >> with an underscore, a couple letters/numbers, more underscores:
    >> _c4__.ttf for example. Since the name of the font is embedded in the
    >> file, they can have any filename. That could possibly be what is
    >> making it hard for the OP to find on disk.
    >>
    >> Another issue is that they may not have been Truetype but Bitstream
    >> fonts. Those are not in the Fonts folder. I have Adobe Type Manager
    >> at work, but not here at home so I can't suggest offhand what the
    >> typical folder location is.
    >>
    >> --
    >> Some people are like Slinkies. Not really good for anything, but you
    >> still can't help but smile when you see one tumble down the stairs.
    >>

    > Aha! Corel!! Yes, there are dozens of TT files with helpful names
    > like 21257__.ttf. I could compare file lists and take a look at the
    > ones that don't appear in the "new" fonts folder. (Calligraph421 is
    > not the only useful font that went missing) It would also explain
    > why they weren't re-installed with the OS...
    >
    > Thanks
    > ~RL

    Ah - yes - the joys of proprietary filename conventions <g>

    I run into that same problem at work when I upgrade systems.

    Toolman Tim, Nov 26, 2005
  7. Rustiferion

    Rustiferion Guest

    > In news:0q3if.46947$,
    > Rustiferion spewed forth:
    >> "Toolman Tim" <> wrote in message

    > Ah - yes - the joys of proprietary filename conventions <g>
    >
    > I run into that same problem at work when I upgrade systems.

    FWIW I discovered that IrfanView has a font-reader plug-in available, which
    made fairly short work of plowing thru 520 (!) fonts to find TT1139M_.ttf
    (Calligraph421 BT). Oof...

    Since I have reinstalled the original Corel file, I won't need the YouSendIt
    file, Chris, but thanks anyway. Now I have it in my Downloads, if I ever
    need it.

    Thanks also to Mike E. for the nudge about the comp.fonts ng. Some good
    stuff there.

    ~RL

    Rustiferion, Nov 26, 2005
  8. Rustiferion

    Toolman Tim Guest

    In news:MQ5if.21622$,
    Rustiferion spewed forth:
    > "Toolman Tim" <> wrote in message
    >> In news:0q3if.46947$,
    >> Rustiferion spewed forth:
    >>> "Toolman Tim" <> wrote in message

    >> Ah - yes - the joys of proprietary filename conventions <g>
    >>
    >> I run into that same problem at work when I upgrade systems.
    >>

    > FWIW I discovered that IrfanView has a font-reader plug-in available,
    > which made fairly short work of plowing thru 520 (!) fonts to find
    > TT1139M_.ttf (Calligraph421 BT). Oof...

    <snip>

    Cool - I may have to look into that.

    Toolman Tim, Nov 27, 2005