    I can ping the remote machine so the basic connectivity is there, but I cannot establish a tcp session so I don't seem to be receiving the SYN-ACK from them. What could stop it?

    Just to make it a bit more interesting, there's a vpn tunnel between the sites, but it seems to be up and running fine (and the ping works across it). Since both sides do a sysopt connection permit-ipsec, the outside interface ACLs are not consulted here.

    Any ideas would be useful. TIA.
    professorguy, Dec 12, 2006

  2. professorguy

    professorguy

    Joined:
    Sep 15, 2006
    Messages:
    39
    What stopped it.

    Because the static NAT being done on the remote end was incorrect, I asked for one machine (the intended mapped address) but got a different one (the actual mapped address). That one had no listener bound to the port I was telnetting to.

    Ethereal quickly revealed that I was getting RST/ACKs which of course are tcp refusals. Once the addressing was fixed, the correct machine answered with SYN/ACKs as normal.
    professorguy, Dec 20, 2006