    about it.

    He needs to do a Full backup of Windows and incremental backup of some files folders..

    Any Suggestions..

    jack, Jun 8, 2007

  2. jack

    none Guest

    jack wrote:

    > Any Suggestions..

    *nix LiveCD and the dd command.

    none, Jun 8, 2007

  3. jack

    impossible Guest

    "jack" <> wrote in message
    news:...

    > Friend needs to do a backup of Windows XP and Files to a USB Drive,
    > seems this is not possible with
    > DOS, but GHOST 2003 can if you have a NEC USB Controller, but in his
    > case No.!
    >

    > The Other option that I have read is GHOST 9 can do a hot
    > backups, but reviews have reservations
    > about it.
    >
    > He needs to do a Full backup of Windows and incremental backup of
    > some files folders..
    >
    > Any Suggestions..

    http://www.acronis.com/homecomputing/products/trueimage/

    Downloadable trial version, datasheet, and user guide.

    impossible, Jun 8, 2007
  4. In message <>, impossible wrote:

    > "jack" <> wrote in message
    >>
    >> Friend needs to do a backup of Windows XP and Files to a USB Drive...

    > http://www.acronis.com/homecomputing/products/trueimage/
    >
    > Downloadable trial version, datasheet, and user guide.

    Apparently Acronis boot their own Linux kernel, and I believe the OP has
    previously exhibited a range of allergies to *nix...

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Jun 8, 2007
  5. jack

    Dave Doe Guest

    In article <>,
    says...

    > Friend needs to do a backup of Windows XP and Files to a USB Drive, seems this is not possible with
    > DOS, but GHOST 2003 can if you have a NEC USB Controller, but in his case No.!
    >

    > The Other option that I have read is GHOST 9 can do a hot backups, but reviews have reservations
    > about it.
    >
    > He needs to do a Full backup of Windows and incremental backup of some files folders..
    >
    > Any Suggestions..

    For full imaging, I like Paragon Drive Backup (better than Acronis
    TrueImage) - and I think it's cheaper too. I think the trial period is
    longer too, one month IIRC.

    For backup: XP comes with it's own - I'd tend to use that...
    Start, Programs, Accessories, System Tools, Backup

    --
    Duncan

    Dave Doe, Jun 8, 2007
  6. jack

    Nik Coughlin Guest

    Dave Doe wrote:
    > For full imaging, I like Paragon Drive Backup (better than Acronis
    > TrueImage) - and I think it's cheaper too. I think the trial period
    > is longer too, one month IIRC.

    Better how?

    We currently use Acronis

    Nik Coughlin, Jun 8, 2007
  7. jack

    Nik Coughlin Guest

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
    > In message <>, impossible
    > wrote:
    >
    >> "jack" <> wrote in message
    >>>
    >>> Friend needs to do a backup of Windows XP and Files to a USB
    >>> Drive...

    >> http://www.acronis.com/homecomputing/products/trueimage/
    >>
    >> Downloadable trial version, datasheet, and user guide.

    > Apparently Acronis boot their own Linux kernel, and I believe the OP
    > has previously exhibited a range of allergies to *nix...

    Only for the bootable version, the application itself runs under Windows.
    Plus, if you hadn't said that Woger would never have known, as they've
    designed the bootable version to look like an XP app :p

    Nik Coughlin, Jun 8, 2007
  8. jack

    jack Guest

    On Thu, 7 Jun 2007 19:49:49 -0400, "impossible" <> wrote:

    >"jack" <> wrote in message
    >>

    >> Friend needs to do a backup of Windows XP and Files to a USB Drive,
    >> seems this is not possible with
    >> DOS, but GHOST 2003 can if you have a NEC USB Controller, but in his
    >> case No.!
    >>

    >> The Other option that I have read is GHOST 9 can do a hot
    >> backups, but reviews have reservations
    >> about it.
    >>
    >> He needs to do a Full backup of Windows and incremental backup of
    >> some files folders..
    >>
    >> Any Suggestions..
    >>

    >http://www.acronis.com/homecomputing/products/trueimage/
    >
    >Downloadable trial version, datasheet, and user guide.

    Thanks will give it a try..

    jack, Jun 8, 2007
  9. jack

    jack Guest

    On Fri, 08 Jun 2007 13:23:49 +1200, Lawrence D'Oliveiro <_zealand> wrote:

    >In message <>, impossible wrote:
    >
    >> "jack" <> wrote in message
    >>>
    >>> Friend needs to do a backup of Windows XP and Files to a USB Drive...

    >> http://www.acronis.com/homecomputing/products/trueimage/
    >>
    >> Downloadable trial version, datasheet, and user guide.

    >Apparently Acronis boot their own Linux kernel, and I believe the OP has
    >previously exhibited a range of allergies to *nix...

    But we are refering to XP...?

    jack, Jun 8, 2007
  10. jack

    jack Guest

    On Fri, 8 Jun 2007 14:02:48 +1200, Dave Doe <> wrote:

    >In article <>,
    > says...
    >>

    >> Friend needs to do a backup of Windows XP and Files to a USB Drive, seems this is not possible with
    >> DOS, but GHOST 2003 can if you have a NEC USB Controller, but in his case No.!
    >>

    >> The Other option that I have read is GHOST 9 can do a hot backups, but reviews have reservations
    >> about it.
    >>
    >> He needs to do a Full backup of Windows and incremental backup of some files folders..
    >>
    >> Any Suggestions..

    >For full imaging, I like Paragon Drive Backup (better than Acronis
    >TrueImage) - and I think it's cheaper too. I think the trial period is
    >longer too, one month IIRC.
    >
    >For backup: XP comes with it's own - I'd tend to use that...
    >Start, Programs, Accessories, System Tools, Backup

    But does it support a Hot backup of Windows and Incremental of other files to a USB drive, what I
    have seen of Windows add on's, the are very striped down versions of other APPS..

    jack, Jun 8, 2007
  11. In message <>, jack wrote:

    > On Fri, 08 Jun 2007 13:23:49 +1200, Lawrence D'Oliveiro
    > <_zealand> wrote:
    >
    >>In message <>, impossible
    >>wrote:
    >>
    >>> "jack" <> wrote in message

    >>> http://www.acronis.com/homecomputing/products/trueimage/
    >>>
    >>> Downloadable trial version, datasheet, and user guide.

    >>Apparently Acronis boot their own Linux kernel, and I believe the OP has
    >>previously exhibited a range of allergies to *nix...

    > But we are refering to XP...?

    Yes, that's right.

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Jun 8, 2007
  12. jack

    Enkidu Guest

    jack wrote:

    > Friend needs to do a backup of Windows XP and Files to a USB Drive,
    > seems this is not possible with DOS, but GHOST 2003 can if you have a
    > NEC USB Controller, but in his case No.!

    It is definitely possible and I don't know why you believe that it can't
    be done.

    Cheers,

    Cliff

    'hilarious', it usually isn't?

    Enkidu, Jun 8, 2007
  13. jack

    Enkidu Guest

    jack wrote:
    > On Fri, 8 Jun 2007 14:02:48 +1200, Dave Doe <> wrote:
    >
    >> In article <>,
    >> says...
    >>>

    >>> Friend needs to do a backup of Windows XP and Files to a USB
    >>> Drive, seems this is not possible with DOS, but GHOST 2003 can if
    >>> you have a NEC USB Controller, but in his case No.!
    >>>

    >>> The Other option that I have read is GHOST 9 can do a hot
    >>> backups, but reviews have reservations about it.
    >>>
    >>> He needs to do a Full backup of Windows and incremental backup
    >>> of some files folders..
    >>>
    >>> Any Suggestions..

    >> For full imaging, I like Paragon Drive Backup (better than Acronis
    >> TrueImage) - and I think it's cheaper too. I think the trial
    >> period is longer too, one month IIRC.
    >>
    >> For backup: XP comes with it's own - I'd tend to use that... Start,
    >> Programs, Accessories, System Tools, Backup

    > But does it support a Hot backup of Windows and Incremental of other
    > files to a USB drive, what I have seen of Windows add on's, the are
    > very striped down versions of other APPS..

    Yes, it will backup to a USB drive. The only gotcha is that if the USB
    drive is fomratted as FAT, there is a limit on the size of the backup,
    You can get around it by formatting the drive as NTFS.

    Cheers,

    Cliff

    'hilarious', it usually isn't?

    Enkidu, Jun 8, 2007
  14. jack

    jack Guest

    On Fri, 08 Jun 2007 19:48:12 +1200, Enkidu <> wrote:

    >jack wrote:
    >>

    >> Friend needs to do a backup of Windows XP and Files to a USB Drive,
    >> seems this is not possible with DOS, but GHOST 2003 can if you have a
    >> NEC USB Controller, but in his case No.!
    >>

    >It is definitely possible and I don't know why you believe that it can't
    >be done.

    Needs a NEC USB Controler..

    jack, Jun 8, 2007
  15. jack

    jack Guest

    On Fri, 8 Jun 2007 14:02:48 +1200, Dave Doe <> wrote:

    >In article <>,
    > says...
    >>

    >> Friend needs to do a backup of Windows XP and Files to a USB Drive, seems this is not possible with
    >> DOS, but GHOST 2003 can if you have a NEC USB Controller, but in his case No.!
    >>

    >> The Other option that I have read is GHOST 9 can do a hot backups, but reviews have reservations
    >> about it.
    >>
    >> He needs to do a Full backup of Windows and incremental backup of some files folders..
    >>
    >> Any Suggestions..

    >For full imaging, I like Paragon Drive Backup (better than Acronis
    >TrueImage) - and I think it's cheaper too. I think the trial period is
    >longer too, one month IIRC.
    >
    >For backup: XP comes with it's own - I'd tend to use that...
    >Start, Programs, Accessories, System Tools, Backup

    Its not on my System at all seems from what I have read its on the XP CD, but as I thought very
    limited and No Windows backup at all, only Data backup.

    "Windows XP makes this task especially easy by giving every user account its own personal profile,
    which consists of a set of subfolders in the Documents and Settings folder. Your profile holds your
    personal files (in the My Documents folder), Outlook Express e-mail messages, Internet Explorer
    Favorites and cookies, and information about your settings and preferences. If you have personal
    data stored elsewhere, consider moving it into the My Documents folder to make backing up easier. If
    you're unwilling or unable to move those files, make a note of where they're located so you can be
    sure you add them to your backup set later. "

    jack, Jun 8, 2007
  16. jack

    Jerry Guest

    jack wrote:
    > On Fri, 8 Jun 2007 14:02:48 +1200, Dave Doe <> wrote:
    >
    >> In article <>,
    >> says...
    >>>

    >>> Friend needs to do a backup of Windows XP and Files to a USB Drive, seems this is not possible with
    >>> DOS, but GHOST 2003 can if you have a NEC USB Controller, but in his case No.!
    >>>

    >>> The Other option that I have read is GHOST 9 can do a hot backups, but reviews have reservations
    >>> about it.
    >>>
    >>> He needs to do a Full backup of Windows and incremental backup of some files folders..
    >>>
    >>> Any Suggestions..

    >> For full imaging, I like Paragon Drive Backup (better than Acronis
    >> TrueImage) - and I think it's cheaper too. I think the trial period is
    >> longer too, one month IIRC.
    >>
    >> For backup: XP comes with it's own - I'd tend to use that...
    >> Start, Programs, Accessories, System Tools, Backup

    > Its not on my System at all seems from what I have read its on the XP CD, but as I thought very
    > limited and No Windows backup at all, only Data backup.

    It is only on XP Professional, not XP Home or XP Media Center. MS
    should change Center to Centre when you select an English country.

    Jerry, Jun 8, 2007
  17. jack

    Enkidu Guest

    jack wrote:
    > On Fri, 8 Jun 2007 14:02:48 +1200, Dave Doe <> wrote:
    >
    >> In article <>,
    >> says...
    >>>

    >>> Friend needs to do a backup of Windows XP and Files to a USB
    >>> Drive, seems this is not possible with DOS, but GHOST 2003 can if
    >>> you have a NEC USB Controller, but in his case No.!
    >>>

    >>> The Other option that I have read is GHOST 9 can do a hot
    >>> backups, but reviews have reservations about it.
    >>>
    >>> He needs to do a Full backup of Windows and incremental backup
    >>> of some files folders..
    >>>
    >>> Any Suggestions..

    >> For full imaging, I like Paragon Drive Backup (better than Acronis
    >> TrueImage) - and I think it's cheaper too. I think the trial
    >> period is longer too, one month IIRC.
    >>
    >> For backup: XP comes with it's own - I'd tend to use that... Start,
    >> Programs, Accessories, System Tools, Backup

    > Its not on my System at all seems from what I have read its on the XP
    > CD, but as I thought very limited and No Windows backup at all, only
    > Data backup.
    >
    > "Windows XP makes this task especially easy by giving every user
    > account its own personal profile, which consists of a set of
    > subfolders in the Documents and Settings folder. Your profile holds
    > your personal files (in the My Documents folder), Outlook Express
    > e-mail messages, Internet Explorer Favorites and cookies, and
    > information about your settings and preferences. If you have personal
    > data stored elsewhere, consider moving it into the My Documents
    > folder to make backing up easier. If you're unwilling or unable to
    > move those files, make a note of where they're located so you can be
    > sure you add them to your backup set later. "

    Roger, it does not come with XP Home. You have to download it for XP
    Home. It does come with XP Pro.

    It can backup everything on the system if you wish. I've just checked.
    That paragraph you quote has nothing to do with backup at all.

    Under XP, the Backup program operates in 'wizard' mode by default.
    Either way though you are given the option of creating a 'system
    recovery disk' if you wish.

    It is not the most flexible way of backing up a system, but I used it
    for several years on Win 2000 systems.

    Cheers,

    Cliff

    'hilarious', it usually isn't?

    Enkidu, Jun 9, 2007
  18. jack

    Enkidu Guest

    jack wrote:
    > On Fri, 08 Jun 2007 19:48:12 +1200, Enkidu <> wrote:
    >
    >> jack wrote:
    >>>
    >>> Friend needs to do a backup of Windows XP and Files to a USB Drive,
    >>> seems this is not possible with DOS, but GHOST 2003 can if you have a
    >>> NEC USB Controller, but in his case No.!
    >>>

    >> It is definitely possible and I don't know why you believe that it can't
    >> be done.

    > Needs a NEC USB Controler..

    It needs a NEC USB controller for what? Windows backup? Not true. DOS
    backup? Using what program? Ghost 2003?

    Cheers,

    Cliff

    'hilarious', it usually isn't?

    Enkidu, Jun 9, 2007
  19. jack

    Rob S Guest

    Spellcheck - was Re: What Software to use..???

    Jerry wrote: MS
    > should change Center to Centre when you select an English country.

    This prompted me to check which dictionary I'm using in Thunderbird
    1.5.0.12. and found it was set to English/South Africa. I didn't choose
    a region dictionary when I installed it (in Ubuntu Feisty) so I'm
    curious why it defaulted to South Africa? I've changed it to
    English/United Kingdom as I get sick of the centre/center thing as well
    as labour/labor.
    --

    Rob
    http://aspir8or.blogspot.com

    If computers were a religion, I'd be the Pope.

    Rob S, Jun 9, 2007
  20. jack

    Dave Doe Guest

    In article <4669ddb0$>,
    says...
    > jack wrote:
    > > On Fri, 8 Jun 2007 14:02:48 +1200, Dave Doe <> wrote:
    > >
    > >> In article <>,
    > >> says...

    > >> For full imaging, I like Paragon Drive Backup (better than Acronis
    > >> TrueImage) - and I think it's cheaper too. I think the trial period is
    > >> longer too, one month IIRC.
    > >>
    > >> For backup: XP comes with it's own - I'd tend to use that...
    > >> Start, Programs, Accessories, System Tools, Backup

    > > Its not on my System at all seems from what I have read its on the XP CD, but as I thought very
    > > limited and No Windows backup at all, only Data backup.

    > It is only on XP Professional, not XP Home or XP Media Center. MS
    > should change Center to Centre when you select an English country.

    If you have your XP Home CD, it should be available to install.

    I think it's on the VALUEADD folder on the CD, or a sub-folder of that -
    it's there somewhere.

    --
    Duncan

    Dave Doe, Jun 9, 2007