What Software is best for Printing?

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Bob D., Aug 29, 2003.

  1. Bob D.

    Bob D. Guest

    Does the software one uses for printing make any difference?

    Here's what I usually use:

    Open the jpeg in "Olympus Camedia Master" which came with the camera.

    Crop and make adjustments in "Olympus Camedia Master".

    Copy the result in "Olympus Camedia Master".

    Paste the picture into a blank Word document.

    Size, move and title the picture/pictures the way I want them in the
    Word document.

    Print the Word document on my Photosmart P1000 printer.

    Am I losing anything by using copy/paste or Word?
    --
    Bob D.

    Bob D., Aug 29, 2003

  2. Bob D.

    Paul Heslop Guest

    "Bob D." wrote:

    > Does the software one uses for printing make any difference?
    >
    > Here's what I usually use:
    >
    > Open the jpeg in "Olympus Camedia Master" which came with the camera.
    >
    > Crop and make adjustments in "Olympus Camedia Master".
    >
    > Copy the result in "Olympus Camedia Master".
    >
    > Paste the picture into a blank Word document.
    >
    > Size, move and title the picture/pictures the way I want them in the
    > Word document.
    >
    > Print the Word document on my Photosmart P1000 printer.
    >
    > Am I losing anything by using copy/paste or Word?
    > --
    > Bob D.

    Some progs are just better at printing, full stop, or they give you more
    control etc.
    Personally I use all sorts of progs to mess with the images (I don't use
    camedia for ANYTHING) but for printing I always use Corel print House as
    it is easy to move the images round and resize, add text or whatever but
    I rarely have problems with it, unlike some other programmes.
    --
    Paul. (Man sleeps by a campfire under the bridge)
    Not what it seems...

    Paul Heslop, Aug 29, 2003

  3. Bob D.

    HRosita Guest

    Hi,

    I have not used it myself but I understand that the best printing software is
    Qimage.

    By the way, are you using photo paper to print your Word document?
    Rosita

    HRosita, Aug 29, 2003
  4. Bob D.

    Mark B. Guest

    "Bob D." <> wrote in message
    > Does the software one uses for printing make any difference?
    >
    > Here's what I usually use:
    >
    > Open the jpeg in "Olympus Camedia Master" which came with the camera.
    >
    > Crop and make adjustments in "Olympus Camedia Master".
    >
    > Copy the result in "Olympus Camedia Master".
    >
    > Paste the picture into a blank Word document.
    >
    > Size, move and title the picture/pictures the way I want them in the
    > Word document.
    >
    > Print the Word document on my Photosmart P1000 printer.
    >
    > Am I losing anything by using copy/paste or Word?
    > --
    > Bob D.

    Seems like an awful lot of steps you're doing to print an image. The only
    software I'll use for printing images is Qimage Pro:
    http://www.ddisoftware.com/qimage/.

    Mark

    Mark B., Aug 30, 2003
  5. Bob D.

    DonB Guest

    I also use Qimage, and tests by me show it gives superior results.
    DonB

    DonB, Aug 30, 2003
  6. Bob D.

    Kenny Guest

    "Bob D." <> wrote in message
    > Does the software one uses for printing make any difference?

    Yes, and the best is Q Image.

    Kenny

    Kenny, Aug 30, 2003
  7. "Bob D." <> wrote:

    >Does the software one uses for printing make any difference?

    Bob,

    yes. The main point is the upscaling. Since the printed picture
    usually has a higher resolution than the original photo,
    something somewhere has to scale the picture up and, simply
    spoken, add the missing pixels. And that's where good software
    can do much better than simple software.

    Some printer drivers do a better job at this than others, but
    specialized software can be even better.

    Hans-Georg

    --
    No mail, please.

    Hans-Georg Michna, Aug 30, 2003
  8. Bob D.

    Ed Ruf Guest

    On Fri, 29 Aug 2003 21:05:53 GMT, in rec.photo.digital "Bob D."
    <> wrote:

    >Does the software one uses for printing make any difference?
    >
    >Here's what I usually use:
    >
    > Open the jpeg in "Olympus Camedia Master" which came with the camera.
    >
    > Crop and make adjustments in "Olympus Camedia Master".
    >
    > Copy the result in "Olympus Camedia Master".
    >
    > Paste the picture into a blank Word document.
    >
    > Size, move and title the picture/pictures the way I want them in the
    >Word document.
    >
    > Print the Word document on my Photosmart P1000 printer.
    >
    >Am I losing anything by using copy/paste or Word?

    For printing of the photos themselves, I'm in the group with everyone
    recommending Qimage. If you really need to add general titles to each image
    though, Qimage can not do this. It can add any of the filename and/or exif
    info , but does not have an option for adding say a general text string.
    Ed Ruf Lifetime AMA# 344007 ()
    http://members.cox.net/egruf
    See images taken with my CP-990 and 5700 at
    http://members.cox.net/egruf-digicam

    Ed Ruf, Aug 30, 2003
  9. Bob D.

    Don Stauffer Guest

    The example you gave included editing AND printing. Most of the
    options for just pure printing are in the printer driver, that any
    competent software will call when sending an image to a 'printer'.

    However, you mentioned several editing functions. There certainly is a
    difference here between software packages. In my opinion, Camedia is a
    rather primitive editing package.

    To complicate things further, there ARE editing packages that DO offer
    you printing options not found in the standard printer driver. Some
    offer choice of doing dither, for instance, with the printer driver
    algorithms are with the editor's algorithms.

    --
    Don Stauffer in Minnesota

    Don Stauffer, Aug 30, 2003
  10. Bob D.

    JunkMonkey Guest

    WHY are you using MS Word to Print Photos? Just about ANYTHING is better
    than that! I have just purchased ACDSee's FotoSlate, (about $30 USD) it
    offers you not only unlimited flexibility to print the way you want, but
    color management as well.

    JunkMonkey, Aug 30, 2003