    What about PowerISO Virtual Drive Manager - I have a number of virtual CD
    drives, would removal help? But then I would have to find out how to do
    without them.
    Rolf, May 26, 2007

  2. Rolf

    Vanguard Guest

    "Rolf" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > Hi, I tried defrag, but the system reported defrag was not necessary.
    > Do
    > number of program icons on desktop matter? (Win2kSp4, 3200+ AMD cpu,
    > SATA II
    > disk) Number of programs on taskbar? Where is it best to have the
    > Icons, on
    > desktop or taskbar?
    >
    > Startup programs only what seems reasonable like ZoneAlarm, SpySweeper
    > and
    > AFAIK, not much else.
    >
    > Use AdAware to get rid of spies/cookies.
    >
    > What about PowerISO Virtual Drive Manager - I have a number of virtual
    > CD
    > drives, would removal help? But then I would have to find out how to
    > do
    > without them.

    Learn to use hibernate power mode if you really feel the need to power
    off your computer rather than leave it on in standby power mode.
    Vanguard, May 26, 2007

  3. Rolf

    Rolf Guest

    "Vanguard" <> wrote in message
    > "Rolf" <> wrote in message
    > > Hi, I tried defrag, but the system reported defrag was not necessary.
    > > Do
    > > number of program icons on desktop matter? (Win2kSp4, 3200+ AMD cpu,
    > > SATA II
    > > disk) Number of programs on taskbar? Where is it best to have the
    > > Icons, on
    > > desktop or taskbar?
    > >
    > > Startup programs only what seems reasonable like ZoneAlarm, SpySweeper
    > > and
    > > AFAIK, not much else.
    > >
    > > Use AdAware to get rid of spies/cookies.
    > >
    > > What about PowerISO Virtual Drive Manager - I have a number of virtual
    > > CD
    > > drives, would removal help? But then I would have to find out how to
    > > do
    > > without them.
    > >

    > Learn to use hibernate power mode if you really feel the need to power
    > off your computer rather than leave it on in standby power mode.

    Thanks, look like a good tip - I just hope my mobo supports that.
    Rolf, May 27, 2007
  4. Rolf

    Vanguard Guest

    "Rolf" wrote in message news:...

    > "Vanguard" wrote ...
    >> "Rolf" wrote ...
    >> > Hi, I tried defrag, but the system reported defrag was not
    >> > necessary.
    >> > Do
    >> > number of program icons on desktop matter? (Win2kSp4, 3200+ AMD
    >> > cpu,
    >> > SATA II disk) ...

    >> Learn to use hibernate power mode if you really feel the need to
    >> power
    >> off your computer rather than leave it on in standby power mode.

    > Thanks, look like a good tip - I just hope my mobo supports that.

    You may need to go into Power Options to enable hibernation mode. Then
    you can also define which keyboard button will trigger it rather than
    going through the Start menu. Since your mobo supports SATA, it should
    support hibernate mode.

    You could use msconfig.exe or SysInternals' AutoRuns to determine what
    startup programs aren't needed. First check if the program has its own
    option to load on Windows startup and use that to remove it from
    startup.
    Vanguard, May 27, 2007
  5. Rolf

    elaich Guest

    "Rolf" <> wrote in news::

    > Hi, I tried defrag, but the system reported defrag was not necessary.
    > Do number of program icons on desktop matter? (Win2kSp4, 3200+ AMD
    > cpu, SATA II disk) Number of programs on taskbar? Where is it best to
    > have the Icons, on desktop or taskbar?
    >
    > Startup programs only what seems reasonable like ZoneAlarm, SpySweeper
    > and AFAIK, not much else.
    >
    > Use AdAware to get rid of spies/cookies.
    >
    > What about PowerISO Virtual Drive Manager - I have a number of virtual
    > CD drives, would removal help? But then I would have to find out how
    > to do without them.

    W2K starts many services which are not needed by the home user. go to
    blackviper.com to learn which ones you can safely disable.

    My W2K box is tweaked, and still takes about 60 - 75 seconds to boot.

    --
    A: Because it disturbs the logical flow of the message.
    Q: Why is top posting frowned upon?
    elaich, May 28, 2007
  6. Rolf

    Rolf Guest

    "Vanguard" <> wrote in message
    > "Rolf" wrote in message news:...
    > >
    > > "Vanguard" wrote ...
    > >> "Rolf" wrote ...
    > >>
    > >> Learn to use hibernate power mode if you really feel the need to
    > >> power
    > >> off your computer rather than leave it on in standby power mode.

    > > Thanks, look like a good tip - I just hope my mobo supports that.

    > You may need to go into Power Options to enable hibernation mode. Then
    > you can also define which keyboard button will trigger it rather than
    > going through the Start menu. Since your mobo supports SATA, it should
    > support hibernate mode.
    >
    > You could use msconfig.exe or SysInternals' AutoRuns to determine what
    > startup programs aren't needed. First check if the program has its own
    > option to load on Windows startup and use that to remove it from
    > startup.

    Wow, it all works just great! When the machine sleeps, it is sooo quitet,
    and cool too. Guess the CPU is idling and very little heat is generated. And
    best of all, touching the on-button on the cabinet it takes no time at all
    before it is fully awake.
    Rolf, May 29, 2007