    me some help as I don't want to purchase all the wrong books or find I need
    to start with something more basic.

    Thank you in advance for any help.

    =?Utf-8?B?S2Fnc0NvZ3M=?=, Sep 4, 2005

  2. =?Utf-8?B?S2Fnc0NvZ3M=?=

    Guest

    I've been involved with re-training efforts in my org and this is what
    we did:

    1. Before starting MCSD, I would gain a basic understanding of your
    language of choice (vb.net or C#). Using Visual Studio create some
    sample programs and become familiar with the language and the VS tool.

    2. We used the MCSD self paced training material from MS Press and
    purchased the Transcender practice exams. The self paced books have
    plenty of examples which are a must.

    the best way to study is write code and then take the practice exams.

    3. I agree with starting with 70-316. Build windows forms apps first
    and them move to Web apps. Then move to XML & web services. From
    there you can decide on either your elective or 70-300. I'm working on
    70-300 right now and it's quite different from the previous exams. I
    think this one will require more reviews of case studies.

    Hope this helps

    Vic

    Matrix learning Solutions
    www.matrixlearningsolutions.com

    , Sep 7, 2005

  3. =?Utf-8?B?S2Fnc0NvZ3M=?=

    Paul Robson Guest

    KagsCogs wrote:
    > I am an IT Professional but have been in the same job for a long time and my
    > skills are way out of date. I only have mainframe COBOL knowledge and a very
    > small amount of web skills. Although I have done extensive amount of
    > analysis, design etc...
    >
    > I want to do the MCSD and am looking at starting with the exam 70-316 but am
    > not sure if this is the right place for me to start please can someone give
    > me some help as I don't want to purchase all the wrong books or find I need
    > to start with something more basic.
    >
    > Thank you in advance for any help.

    I'd start off by learning C# or VB - the .Net version, and Object
    Orientated programming ; there are plenty of good primers on this. You
    will have the basic analysis and coding skills already. Personally I
    prefer C# though the differences are almost entirely syntactic. VB looks
    like Basic, C# looks like Java/C/C++

    Then once you are comfortable in VB/C# work at either the Web Apps exam
    or the Windows Forms exam (as you prefer), then do the other one, then
    do the Web Services exam.

    This will get you the MCAD ; then work for the MCSD (which is two more
    exams ???)

    Paul Robson, Sep 16, 2005