What SIP phones should I buy?

Discussion in 'VOIP' started by Ramon F Herrera, Sep 26, 2007.

  1. I am very familiar with the Sipura/Linksys line of ATAs and some of
    the phones. My problem is that I am offering to replace traditional
    PBXs with an Asterisk-based PBX. Many of those customers are used to
    brand names like Avaya and would like to have a top brand, nice
    looking, with the best audio, etc. phone sets.

    Frankly speaking, the SPA941 looks kind of cheap, and its sound is not
    that great.

    So, I am told that the best VoIP phone available is the Polycom, and I
    started researching them.

    Disappointment Number One: I find out that Polycom has a policy of
    only allowing special people, priests of some sort, to access their
    sacred firmware. Well, I guess that if their quality is as good as
    they say, they are entitled to be arrogant and unfriendly to
    customers. Call them Soup Nazis.

    Disappointment Number Two: (and as opposed to #1, this is a biggie) It
    seems that most Polycom phones do not have a web server built in. I
    simply couldn't believe this. One of my concern is the dialplan. With
    Linksys, it offers a lot of flexibility with the phone making decision
    as to which gateway to connect, etc., etc. OTOH, even the top of the
    line Polycoms: all they have is the crummy low res display as a
    configuring interface.

    Both brands can be auto-provisioned.

    Is it fair to say that Linksys has much more expertise in HTTP,
    routing, Internet, while Polycom is the standard as far as voice
    quality??

    Comments, opinions?

    -Ramon

    Ramon F Herrera, Sep 26, 2007

  2. Ramon F Herrera

    Trendkill Guest

    On Sep 26, 12:49 am, Ramon F Herrera <> wrote:
    > I am very familiar with the Sipura/Linksys line of ATAs and some of
    > the phones. My problem is that I am offering to replace traditional
    > PBXs with an Asterisk-based PBX. Many of those customers are used to
    > brand names like Avaya and would like to have a top brand, nice
    > looking, with the best audio, etc. phone sets.
    >
    > Frankly speaking, the SPA941 looks kind of cheap, and its sound is not
    > that great.
    >
    > So, I am told that the best VoIP phone available is the Polycom, and I
    > started researching them.
    >
    > Disappointment Number One: I find out that Polycom has a policy of
    > only allowing special people, priests of some sort, to access their
    > sacred firmware. Well, I guess that if their quality is as good as
    > they say, they are entitled to be arrogant and unfriendly to
    > customers. Call them Soup Nazis.
    >
    > Disappointment Number Two: (and as opposed to #1, this is a biggie) It
    > seems that most Polycom phones do not have a web server built in. I
    > simply couldn't believe this. One of my concern is the dialplan. With
    > Linksys, it offers a lot of flexibility with the phone making decision
    > as to which gateway to connect, etc., etc. OTOH, even the top of the
    > line Polycoms: all they have is the crummy low res display as a
    > configuring interface.
    >
    > Both brands can be auto-provisioned.
    >
    > Is it fair to say that Linksys has much more expertise in HTTP,
    > routing, Internet, while Polycom is the standard as far as voice
    > quality??
    >
    > Comments, opinions?
    >
    > -Ramon

    Not sure on the others, but I run a Cisco 7960 on asterisk at home and
    it works great. Might be a little high on price, but definitely has
    the 'shiny & new' effect. As for your other question, you need to go
    with the features you need first, and then the look/feel later. From
    my perspective, voice quality is always first, followed by the nice-to-
    haves, and nothing should be considered that doesn't have the features
    you need at your site. Polycom units are very nice, and they have
    been in voice (mostly analog) for a very long time. I agree with your
    comments on linksys, but they are indeed owned by Cisco which help
    mitigates that question. Quality and features over look and feel any
    day. And don't forget usability. Difficulty for admins is one pain,
    but difficulty for customers/associates is a much larger problem.

    Trendkill, Sep 26, 2007

  3. Ramon F Herrera

    Rod Dorman Guest

    In article <>,
    Trendkill <> wrote:
    > ... Polycom units are very nice, and they have
    >been in voice (mostly analog) for a very long time.

    If your primary consideration is voice quality theres no question that
    Polycom should be high on the list of contenders. We sprung for a
    Polycom IP4000 for our conference room and haven't regretted the
    choice.

    --
    -- Rod --
    rodd(at)polylogics(dot)com

    Rod Dorman, Sep 26, 2007
  4. Ramon F Herrera

    bvlmv Guest

    On Sep 26, 2:08 pm, (Rod Dorman) wrote:
    > In article <>,
    >
    > Trendkill <> wrote:
    > > ... Polycom units are very nice, and they have
    > >been in voice (mostly analog) for a very long time.

    > If your primary consideration is voice quality theres no question that
    > Polycom should be high on the list of contenders. We sprung for a
    > Polycom IP4000 for our conference room and haven't regretted the
    > choice.
    >
    > --
    > -- Rod --
    > rodd(at)polylogics(dot)com

    Polycom and Cisco's firmware are pretty stable now-a-days and most
    voice quality issues are network or backhaul related.

    bvlmv, Sep 28, 2007
  5. Ramon F Herrera

    gery Guest

    My VoIP phone supports SIP and IAX2 very well.
    And it supports Auto provisioning.
    Welcome to check at http://www.chinaroby.com

    --

    Gery Jiao